hibs.net Messageboard

Page 70 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,100 of 2602
  1. #2071
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,119
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politi...nion-1-4749962

    Trying to figure out his angle here.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2072
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politi...nion-1-4749962

    Trying to figure out his angle here.
    Frankly, wgaf?

  4. #2073
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,119
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Frankly, wgaf?
    Many in Scotland who still hold his opinion to be important, quite a few of them on here.

  5. #2074
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,810
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Frankly, wgaf?
    I agree with him and I'd be very surprised if many don't.

    Scotland's place in the UK is threatened (even more) by Brexit and the way it's being handled.

    I would think that Nicola Sturgeon will have enjoyed reading that.

  6. #2075
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politi...nion-1-4749962

    Trying to figure out his angle here.
    I think he's having a go at the government for their mishandling of Brexit and adding weight to the remain argument.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  7. #2076
    @hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    2,831
    I was pretty depressed heading to bed last night after switching off Question Time in a rage. While discussing Brexit two comments from the audience summed up the thinking of the electorate in England. One woman said " we need more Churchillian moments" left it at that and said nothing more and got a round of applause!! Next guy said " we are the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and we should just pull up the anchor and sail away" again no builds or plan but again a round of applause! All bluster and rhetoric with no plan on what to actually do. Unfortunately the government are exactly the same as these audience members. Still thinking Brittania rules the waves and that the empire covers half the globe and they look upon England as the mother country.

  8. #2077
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,119
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was pretty depressed heading to bed last night after switching off Question Time in a rage. While discussing Brexit two comments from the audience summed up the thinking of the electorate in England. One woman said " we need more Churchillian moments" left it at that and said nothing more and got a round of applause!! Next guy said " we are the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and we should just pull up the anchor and sail away" again no builds or plan but again a round of applause! All bluster and rhetoric with no plan on what to actually do. Unfortunately the government are exactly the same as these audience members. Still thinking Brittania rules the waves and that the empire covers half the globe and they look upon England as the mother country.
    I don't think for a minute that the government believes that, they're simply playing to their audience and like you say their audience is full of bluster with no idea of what the consequences are of what they think they want.

  9. #2078
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think for a minute that the government believes that, they're simply playing to their audience and like you say their audience is full of bluster with no idea of what the consequences are of what they think they want.
    Is that not what almost all politicians do?

    Labour is playing to the nationalise the country for free and for the workers audience with no regard to what the consequences are.

    SNP have been doing the same on Indy for ever

    The Tories instinctively look to propose policies that supports their core vote time and again

    The greens bang on about anyone getting paid more than £27k as if they should be shot without considering just where a huge chunk in income tax revenue comes from and appear to believe we can all cycle and walk everywhere

    To be fair it is hard to accuse the Lib Demís of this though as no one quite knows what they actually would pander to.

    Itís kind of the nature of the beast but granted itís pretty full on just now as all sides load up on rhetoric rather than Ďgetting on with the day jobí

  10. #2079
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,843
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was pretty depressed heading to bed last night after switching off Question Time in a rage.
    I am certain of one thing: BBCQT is not good for my health.

    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Next guy said " we are the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and we should just pull up the anchor and sail away"
    From the panel
    Shami Chakrabarti replied, "Where to?" I thought that was a good swift response.

  11. #2080
    @hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,923
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am certain of one thing: BBCQT is not good for my health.

    From the panel Shami Chakrabarti replied, "Where to?" I thought that was a good swift response.

    Yep....i think that was actually what the applause was for on that occasion

  12. #2081
    Testimonial Due Stranraer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,142
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was pretty depressed heading to bed last night after switching off Question Time in a rage. While discussing Brexit two comments from the audience summed up the thinking of the electorate in England. One woman said " we need more Churchillian moments" left it at that and said nothing more and got a round of applause!! Next guy said " we are the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and we should just pull up the anchor and sail away" again no builds or plan but again a round of applause! All bluster and rhetoric with no plan on what to actually do. Unfortunately the government are exactly the same as these audience members. Still thinking Brittania rules the waves and that the empire covers half the globe and they look upon England as the mother country.
    I get so wound up by Question Time that I stopped watching it. The last time I sat through a whole episode was when Alex Salmond was on the panel following the 2014 referendum. The Labour MP Caroline Flint said "you lost" to him and got a round of applause. Little did she know that in the 2015 election the following year Labour would be all but wiped out in Scotland.

  13. #2082
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,899
    I believe Solihull voted leave. The irony in jaguar sending the discovery model to Slovenia won't be lost on them then.

    This is not turning out well.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  14. #2083
    The government has backed down in order to avoid losing to opposition + Tory rebs who threatened to vote for an amendment on a "meaningful vote" on the deal.

    Robert Peston says:

    May is conceding

    1) that within seven days of May agreeing a Brexit deal, a motion to approve said deal must go to the Commons

    2) that if there is no Brexit deal agreed by 30 November this year, the government must seek approval for its next course of action from MPs,

    and 3) May will consider how to capture Grieve's other demand that MPs and Lords must be able to instruct the government on how to proceed should there be no Brexit deal by 15 Feb 2019.

    Arguably this transfers considerable power to MPs over the shape of a future Brexit deal. And it probably means that a no-deal Brexit is no longer any kind of realistic prospect.

    It means that if May really believes she was able to put negotiating pressure on the rest of the EU by threatening to Brexit without a deal, she has lost that leverage.

    In other words, one of her favourite catchphrases - that no deal is better than a bad deal - is dead. And that will be official in just a few days, when the bill returns to the Lords.
    Thank f for that.

  15. #2084
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was pretty depressed heading to bed last night after switching off Question Time in a rage. While discussing Brexit two comments from the audience summed up the thinking of the electorate in England. One woman said " we need more Churchillian moments" left it at that and said nothing more and got a round of applause!! Next guy said " we are the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and we should just pull up the anchor and sail away" again no builds or plan but again a round of applause! All bluster and rhetoric with no plan on what to actually do. Unfortunately the government are exactly the same as these audience members. Still thinking Brittania rules the waves and that the empire covers half the globe and they look upon England as the mother country.
    Very similar to Trump's rhetoric. "Let's ditch the world and go back to when we were prosperous".
    Prosperous - no. Preposterous - yes (unless you are a time traveller).

  16. #2085
    @hibs.net private member steakbake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gate 38
    Posts
    7,672
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The government has backed down in order to avoid losing to opposition + Tory rebs who threatened to vote for an amendment on a "meaningful vote" on the deal.

    Robert Peston says:



    Thank f for that.
    A no deal Brexit is no leverage. Itís like me wanting to get out of my mortgage responsibilities by threatening to destroy my house.

  17. #2086
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,764
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very similar to Trump's rhetoric. "Let's ditch the world and go back to when we were prosperous".
    Prosperous - no. Preposterous - yes (unless you are a time traveller).
    Similar message got some leverage in 1933 Germany.

  18. #2087
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,946
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A no deal Brexit is no leverage. Itís like me wanting to get out of my mortgage responsibilities by threatening to destroy my house.
    Would it not be more like getting out of your mortgage, not paying back the sum borrowed, and doing some pretty major (but unspecified and expensive) damage to your house?

    Ie nobody does well out of it.

    Was reading a piece in guardian yesterday that said no deal is now very unlikely as there is no parliamentary majority for it - the trouble is there is no majority for anything else either.

  19. #2088
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,475
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Somewhat unprecedented scenes in Westminster today, with the entire SNP cohort of MPs walking out in protest to last night's vote.

    To the cheering and derision of all other sides of the house, of course.

    Very unpleasant circumstances all around.

  20. #2089
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    12,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Somewhat unprecedented scenes in Westminster today, with the entire SNP cohort of MPs walking out in protest to last night's vote.

    To the cheering and derision of all other sides of the house, of course.

    Very unpleasant circumstances all around.
    Ian Blackford asked for the session to be held in private with no public gallery or press. As I understand it there are clear procedures and it should have gone straight to a vote with no debate.

    John Bercow consulted with Parliamentary officer and decided the session would go ahead with the vote at the end.

    John Bercow was wrong. Ian Blackford refused to sit and was barred from the days proceedings and the whole of the SNP group left the chamber.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  21. #2090
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ian Blackford asked for the session to be held in private with no public gallery or press. As I understand it there are clear procedures and it should have gone straight to a vote with no debate.

    John Bercow consulted with Parliamentary officer and decided the session would go ahead with the vote at the end.

    John Bercow was wrong. Ian Blackford refused to sit and was barred from the days proceedings and the whole of the SNP group left the chamber.
    Bercow actually asked, blackford if he wanted the vote now, he said yes, and the bercow changed his mind, and said he'd have it after Pmq's, blackford challenged it, and was told to leave


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  22. #2091
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Somewhat unprecedented scenes in Westminster today, with the entire SNP cohort of MPs walking out in protest to last night's vote.

    To the cheering and derision of all other sides of the house, of course.

    Very unpleasant circumstances all around.
    It's obviously a publicity stunt but last night, a UK gov minister spoke for the entire 15 mins allotted to discuss devolution parts of bill and took interventions only from Tories. Media says (almost) nothing. Today, SNP have protest stunt, issue is main headline on BBC news, etc.

    Sometimes publicity stunts are useful.

  23. #2092
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,856
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's obviously a publicity stunt but last night, a UK gov minister spoke for the entire 15 mins allotted to discuss devolution parts of bill and took interventions only from Tories. Media says (almost) nothing. Today, SNP have protest stunt, issue is main headline on BBC news, etc.

    Sometimes publicity stunts are useful.
    This one certainly was. Well done to them.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  24. #2093
    Coaching Staff JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    25,105
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's obviously a publicity stunt but last night, a UK gov minister spoke for the entire 15 mins allotted to discuss devolution parts of bill and took interventions only from Tories. Media says (almost) nothing. Today, SNP have protest stunt, issue is main headline on BBC news, etc.

    Sometimes publicity stunts are useful.
    Agree that should have been the story last night about not allowing a proper debate re devolved parliaments and brexit yet nothing or next to nothing. Our press really are horrific on occasion.

  25. #2094
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    12,122
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's obviously a publicity stunt but last night, a UK gov minister spoke for the entire 15 mins allotted to discuss devolution parts of bill and took interventions only from Tories. Media says (almost) nothing. Today, SNP have protest stunt, issue is main headline on BBC news, etc.

    Sometimes publicity stunts are useful.
    Ah yes, English votes for English laws is all good and well, but when issues affect Scotland they Tory party dominated the full 15 minutes allocated to devolution in the Brexit debate.

    Now, what would happen if the Scottish Government formed new laws on devolved issues in the meantime that would conflict with rUK laws?
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  26. #2095
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Somewhat unprecedented scenes in Westminster today, with the entire SNP cohort of MPs walking out in protest to last night's vote.

    To the cheering and derision of all other sides of the house, of course.

    Very unpleasant circumstances all around.
    Not unprecedented. Donald Dewar marched 50 Scottish MPs out of HoC in 87 when he felt Scotland was being ignored.

    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's obviously a publicity stunt but last night, a UK gov minister spoke for the entire 15 mins allotted to discuss devolution parts of bill and took interventions only from Tories. Media says (almost) nothing. Today, SNP have protest stunt, issue is main headline on BBC news, etc.

    Sometimes publicity stunts are useful.
    Don't think he did talk for the entire 15 minutes, he just didn't take any interjections from Scottish MPs.

  27. #2096
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,475
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not unprecedented. Donald Dewar marched 50 Scottish MPs out of HoC in 87 when he felt Scotland was being ignored.
    Forgive me, I was <1 year old at that point and hadn't quite formulated my interest in politics by then

    I certainly can't recall it happening in more recent times. But thanks for setting the record straight!

  28. #2097
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Forgive me, I was <1 year old at that point and hadn't quite formulated my interest in politics by then

    I certainly can't recall it happening in more recent times. But thanks for setting the record straight!
    No problem. The pedant in me also wants to suggest they didn't walk out in protest over last nights vote, but I'll resist ;-)

  29. #2098
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,832
    Well done the SNP. Itís an outrageous land grab here by Westminster, all under the cover of Brexit. Something Scotland as a whole didnít vote for. More unintended consequence of Brexit.

    Blackford making a very important point and defending the Scottish Parliament from being eroded. Which even if you are a devolution Max No voter, you must still be outraged.

    This is not an SNP issue. This is the sovereignty of the Scottish Parliament issue.

    I wish other Scottish MPs from other parties did likewise.

    J

  30. #2099
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    54
    Posts
    7,714
    Have they been told yet whether they were outraged or disappointed or is that being left to each MP to decide?

  31. #2100
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,832
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have they been told yet whether they were outraged or disappointed or is that being left to each MP to decide?
    ?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved