hibs.net Messageboard

Page 69 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 3838
    This customs union thing is a fudge. Forget it.

It's Brexit so get on with it.

If it's a disaster we'll be back in ten years with another referendum to re-enter the EU - if they'll have us.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

If it's a disaster we'll be back in ten years with another referendum to re-enter the EU - if they'll have us.
    No, piss off you're all gits.

300bn negative swing in inward investment over the last 12 months.

Reported? Yer arse!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    300bn negative swing in inward investment over the last 12 months.

Reported? Yer arse!
    Sheesh man do a bit of research before casting conspiracy aspersions.

FDI has had a huge swing only because 2016 was massively inflated due to major corporate deals. Not least SABMiller being bought by InBev for £100bn.

You simply canít take FDI figures in isolation for that reason.

A much better assessment of business investment is GFCF which has been strong since the Brexit vote and indeed the last quarter of 2017 saw a record amount of business investment and an annualised rate of increase higher than any G7 country

Reported? Yer arse.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...ital-formation

Dunno why I'm thinking this of all things an hour before the derby, but has anything been said about football transfers post brexit? I'm guessing EU players will have to get a work permit and will have to satisfy the criteria, just made it much harder to make signings

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Dunno why I'm thinking this of all things an hour before the derby, but has anything been said about football transfers post brexit? I'm guessing EU players will have to get a work permit and will have to satisfy the criteria, just made it much harder to make signings
    Yes.

That's roughly how it worked in Football Manager.

And for European clubs, UK players would no longer count as EU players any more and would have to be included in any non-EU player quotas that exist.

Smart British footballers who fancy a jaunt on the continent when the economy in this country goes belly-up will be scanning their family trees for Irish grannies to get that valuable passport.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Yes.

That's roughly how it worked in Football Manager.

And for European clubs, UK players would no longer count as EU players any more and would have to be included in any non-EU player quotas that exist.

Smart British footballers who fancy a jaunt on the continent when the economy in this country goes belly-up will be scanning their family trees for Irish grannies to get that valuable passport.
    Thanks very much, Thought that would be the case, the way my brain works at times scares me, now onto the derby!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Thanks very much, Thought that would be the case, the way my brain works at times scares me, now onto the derby!!
    Tbh I don't think anyone knows for sure yet how it will work out - it depends on what kind of a "deal" we make with the EU.

I don't see how footballers could be treated differently to any other workers though.

That looks to be the most likely way it will end up though, and it was quite interesting to see how Football Manager approached it.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post

As younger people get the vote and the old *******s die off?

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    This story is indicative of what Scotland can expect if they succumb to the Tory power grab.

Scottish hill farmers have been due cash from 2013, and the Tories have redistributed it to English and Welsh farmers instead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44085955

SCOTLAND CAN.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This story is indicative of what Scotland can expect if they succumb to the Tory power grab.

Scottish hill farmers have been due cash from 2013, and the Tories have redistributed it to English and Welsh farmers instead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44085955
    I've read that article more than once and I don't understand 100% what's going on, but is it not the case the monies from the EU is getting shared amongst all home countries to the possible detriment of Scottish farmers, and not just given to English & Welsh farmers instead as you've stated?
    Apologies if I've misread something but it would appear the sitting government has an agreement to share all extra monies amongst all rather than make enhanced payments to the select few(arguably to those in need?).

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    I've read that article more than once and I don't understand 100% what's going on, but is it not the case the monies from the EU is getting shared amongst all home countries to the possible detriment of Scottish farmers, and not just given to English & Welsh farmers instead as you've stated?
    Apologies if I've misread something but it would appear the sitting government has an agreement to share all extra monies amongst all rather than make enhanced payments to the select few(arguably to those in need?).
    I think that's "sort of" right.... the EU identified that the Scottish farmers were under funded due to their location/infrastructure so set aside extra cash for them, as it's not a devolved matter the cash went to the UK government to distribute but they (UK Gov) then made a decision to share it out across the board, in effect helping some farmers that didn't need help to the same extent (they have lower costs as they were nearer key markets, cheaper fuel costs, more productive land etc etc) ..... that's my take on it reading from a few separate sources at least
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.i...076.html%3famp

'The supermarkets in Cornwall and Scotland will run out of food within a couple of days, and hospitals will run out of medicines within two weeks,' a source said

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Rumours David Davis is going to resign.

Testimonial Due
    Rumours David Davis is going to resign.
    Wow, that would be interesting.

Maybe, just maybe the whole thing is unravelling...?

The EU states are warned to already stop buying British made products.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Who has most to lose if everybody stopped buying from the other? I'd imagine the uk buys more from eu countries than it sells to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Who has most to lose if everybody stopped buying from the other? I'd imagine the uk buys more from eu countries than it sells to them.
    I've never understood this logic. The EU is in danger of losing its free trade with one EU country, the UK potentially the whole of the EU or 27 countries. That's only the start though, due to its size the EU could also use it's economic size and power to inhibit UK trade with third parties.

I've never understood this logic. The EU is in danger of losing its free trade with one EU country, the UK potentially the whole of the EU or 27 countries. That's only the start though, due to its size the EU could also use it's economic size and power to inhibit UK trade with third parties.
    If the eu exports more to the uk than it imports it must lose out. Will they just pass the hat round for those directly affected?

@hibs.net private member
    Warned by who?

And just British made products or services as well?

And if the products are made in the U.K. but by European owned companies are they to be warned not to buy these as well?

And if this is true are you saying that Airbus has been warned to make planes without wing and fuel systems?

In other words this is bollox isnít it?

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    If the eu exports more to the uk than it imports it must lose out. Will they just pass the hat round for those directly affected?
    The overall balance isn't particularly useful.

1. The %age of the overall figure for UK trade to/from the EU vs any individual country within the EU27's trade to/from the UK is going to show it's much more important to the UK.
    2. Trade coming to the UK is largely goods which, given there's very likely at least going to be a Canada style FTA, is probably going to be mostly protected from tariffs etc.
    3. Trade going from the UK is largely services, particularly financial services, which isn't.
    4. The threat of the single market unravelling is a much bigger driver for the EU than maintaining trade with the UK.

Blog Entries
    I see the Brexit secretary and the PM are at odds with each other and having a meeting today to try and resolve things. Would I be right in saying that David Davis was very much pro-Brexit?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Wow, that would be interesting.

Maybe, just maybe the whole thing is unravelling...?
    It's easy to forget that all this fannying about is *before* their negotiating position has got anywhere near the EU side.

Davis has "won" apparently and forced the government's Irish border backstop position into a form they already know is unacceptable to the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Davis has "won" apparently and forced the government's Irish border backstop position into a form they already know is unacceptable to the EU.
    The backstop now published and there's no end date, merely the "expectation" of an end date. So looks like Davis "lost" after all.

From the Guardian's rolling coverage ...

ďItís a sentence added for political expediency,Ē said one Whitehall source, adding that the EU could easily sign up to it. ďThey operate in the legal sphere.Ē

Asked whether it was plausible the deadline would be met, he added: ďItís taken us seven years to put 150,000 people on universal credit.Ē
    If you don't laugh you'll

Specifically, the Dutch car industry (didnít know they had one) have been warned by their government.

@hibs.net private member
    Specifically, the Dutch car industry (didnít know they had one) have been warned by their government.
    Nope. They have been reminded of the rules of origin and originating content rules.

Quite different from saying all EU states have been warned to stop buying U.K. products.

One is a reminder that U.K. car parts wonít contribute to the EU rules of origin requirement so manufactures need to be aware of the impact of that (which maybe some or possibly none depending on what percentage of their end product originates in the U.K.) the other indicates some sort of EU instruction to all states to stop buying all U.K. products which would effectively be an embargo.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    https://twitter.com/garius/status/10...692544000?s=19

Some of the comments are very good too.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Nope. They have been reminded of the rules of origin and originating content rules.

Quite different from saying all EU states have been warned to stop buying U.K. products.

One is a reminder that U.K. car parts wonít contribute to the EU rules of origin requirement so manufactures need to be aware of the impact of that (which maybe some or possibly none depending on what percentage of their end product originates in the U.K.) the other indicates some sort of EU instruction to all states to stop buying all U.K. products which would effectively be an embargo.
    That's only the start. Every company in the EU will now be weighing up the pros and cons of buying British goods or components.