hibs.net Messageboard

Page 61 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 2672
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, that what makes our country what it is, is diversity and the influence of immigration
    Many things make our country what it is...you may be right that some of that is due to diversity and immigration, assuming of course you are meaning a positive 'what it is'

However the advert does make an interesting point in that many nationalities mentioned in it are clearly outside of the EU...just like the fact that there was many more non EU immigrants v EU immigrants into the U.K. last year.

So the EU is clearly not the be all and end all when it comes to immigration as the 173,000 non EU arrivals shows.

It's also interesting to note that immigration of that scale was unheard of for the 3 decades prior to around 2000. The idea that somehow the nation has to have 250k+ people migrating to the UK every year would have sounded rather daft and maybe even destabilise to most people back then (see Labours deliberate lies re the succession of the Easter European countries to the EU). It seems that the last decade and a half has turned that on its head and now any suggestion that maybe the numbers are too high is seen as some sort of UKIP mentalist.

AnywAy my point here is that Brexit will not end migration (nor indeed will it wipe almost 10% off Scotlands GDP!) and it's maybe a bit disingenuous to suggest otherwise (be that from the remainder or leave camps).

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    AnywAy my point here is that Brexit will not ... wipe almost 10% off Scotlands GDP!
    Who is saying this? The Scottish Government's paper released today looks at a fall of between 2.7% and 8.5% of GDP depending on which of the damaging scenarios we end up with.

Why would anyone deliberately choose to reduce the nation's wealth? Well I guess one might decide to do that if there were other benefits of Brexit. It's just that no one seems to want to say what those benefits might be.

Government impact assessment here http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0053/00530160.pdf

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Who is saying this? The Scottish Government's paper released today looks at a fall of between 2.7% and 8.5% of GDP depending on which of the damaging scenarios we end up with.

Why would anyone deliberately choose to reduce the nation's wealth? Well I guess one might decide to do that if there were other benefits of Brexit. It's just that no one seems to want to say what those benefits might be.

Government impact assessment here http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0053/00530160.pdf
    One government has been doing the day job then.

Impact assessments from the Uk gov will be forthcoming soon.

SCOTLAND CAN.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    One government has been doing the day job then.

Impact assessments from the Uk gov will be forthcoming soon.
    As an interesting comparison what was equivalent report at the time of Independence?

Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    As an interesting comparison what was equivalent report at the time of Independence?
    Who's Independence?

SCOTLAND CAN.

Testimonial Due
    Aw, dont go there mate! 😣

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Aw, dont go there mate! 😣
    Maybe for another time.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Who's Independence?
    I think you know exactly what I mean. But let's leave it for another day, if and when we get another vote.

Testimonial Due
    Maybe for another time.
    I was being tongue in cheek, obviously its not for me to tell anyone what to post!
    Last edited by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy; 15-01-2018 at 08:10 PM.

I think you know exactly what I mean. But let's leave it for another day, if and when we get another vote.
    I think you'll find yourself somewhere in here. Mate.

https://t.co/txUWZTPH5H

SCOTLAND CAN.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    I think you'll find yourself somewhere in here. Mate.

https://t.co/txUWZTPH5H
    That says nothing of any significance. You seem to like posting links of other people's opinions and playing them as facts. Are the opinions of others not valid because they don't match your view of the world.

That says nothing of any significance. You seem to like posting links of other people's opinions and playing them as facts. Are the opinions of others not valid because they don't match your view of the world.
    Whereas, you seem to think people know what you're on about, without you having said anything. Top trolling "Mate".

Have a nice evening, and when you get up, try and keep this thread on Brexit, theirs a long way to go. We wouldn't want to muddy the waters, would we.

SCOTLAND CAN.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Whereas, you seem to think people know what you're on about, without you having said anything. Top trolling "Mate".

Have a nice evening, and when you get up, try and keep this thread on Brexit, theirs a long way to go. We wouldn't want to muddy the waters, would we.
    You claimed to not know what I was on about, yet you did as your link proved that. Strange.

But I agree let's stick to Brexit, plenty of time for debate if we ever get another Indy vote.

You claimed to not know what I was on about, yet you did as your link proved that. Strange.

But I agree let's stick to Brexit, plenty of time for debate if we ever get another Indy vote.
    I guessed, after all, it's the only thing Tories go on about these days.

SCOTLAND CAN.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    I guessed, after all, it's the only thing Tories go on about these days.
    Good one, although I suppose guessing is something your party does quite a lot of so sticking to form there.

Good one, although I suppose guessing is something your party does quite a lot of so sticking to form there.
    And my guess was spot on eh. Just like the guess of your true blue credentials.

And a tory, mentioning other parties guessing is the best one though.
    Last edited by ronaldo7; 15-01-2018 at 09:24 PM.

SCOTLAND CAN.

What's your thoughts on the Scottish governments Brexit economic assessments?

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Looks grim, wish we had voted remain.

@hibs.net private member
    Looks grim, wish we had voted remain.
    We did.

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    We did.

Touche! Guess JohnBC70 has done a Mundell!

Quote Originally Posted by xyz23jc View Post
    Touche! Guess JohnBC70 has done a Mundell!
    The Secretary of hate for Scotland.

www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/opinion/deidre-brock-mundell-is-caught-knitting-on-the-job

SCOTLAND CAN.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    The Secretary of hate for Scotland.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...ing-on-the-job
    Correct link here

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...-job-1-4659747

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    I skim read the document yesterday (yes I was very bored ).

Completely and utterly one sided view. Not sure you can take anything seriously when it completely fails to at least point out the other sides argument then present sensible counter positions to persuade the reader why the conclusions reached are sensible and measured.

I was hoping for a reasoned position and some clear conclusions but it's just a rather poorly presented list of presumed and assumed benefits of the EU without any consideration what so ever that it must be impossible for absolutely every single thing the EU means brings benefit to Scotland.

Ultimately however for its headline numbers it seems to heavily rely on other work which is then mashed into another special model, grandly titled the Scottish Government Global Econometric Model, to model the models and end up at the -8.5% figure in 2030 largely through an obscure extrapolation of productivity loss.

An extrapolation that takes some believing, not least because they are based on HM Treasury figures (who along with the BoE /ONS have been rather woeful at predicting productivity numbers one year ahead no matter over a decade. In fact the ONS lowered their annual predictions to 0.2% in October after over estimating for years and then published figures in Jan saying the last quarter had seen productivity growth of 0.9%, the highest since 2011! ).

The figures then of course assume a reduction in trade openness (type and scale undefined on the paper) when clearly over 10 - 15 years there may well be significant extra opportunity for trade and of course the EU 'free trade' is actually a huge protectionist bloc!

Finally the paper appears to unquestionably support EU spending like the CAP, probably one of the least productive subsidy regimes ever without ever even briefly contemplating that it may actually be possible to manage such funds much more productively than the EU does.

It does however yet again show the SNP fully supporting further EU integration in a energy union, banking union, capital markets union and a digitise single market...there really does seem to be no end to the SNP's desire to see the EU centralise everything.

So safe to say I'm not really convinced by this latest crystal ball effort no matter how grand a name they have given their model.

Completely and utterly one sided view. Not sure you can take anything seriously when it completely fails to at least point out the other sides argument then present sensible counter positions to persuade the reader why the conclusions reached are sensible and measured.

I was hoping for a reasoned position and some clear conclusions but it's just a rather poorly presented list of presumed and assumed benefits of the EU without any consideration what so ever that it must be impossible for absolutely every single thing the EU means brings benefit to Scotland.

Ultimately however for its headline numbers it seems to heavily rely on other work which is then mashed into another special model, grandly titled the Scottish Government Global Econometric Model, to model the models and end up at the -8.5% figure in 2030 largely through an obscure extrapolation of productivity loss.

An extrapolation that takes some believing, not least because they are based on HM Treasury figures (who along with the BoE /ONS have been rather woeful at predicting productivity numbers one year ahead no matter over a decade. In fact the ONS lowered their annual predictions to 0.2% in October after over estimating for years and then published figures in Jan saying the last quarter had seen productivity growth of 0.9%, the highest since 2011! ).

The figures then of course assume a reduction in trade openness (type and scale undefined on the paper) when clearly over 10 - 15 years there may well be significant extra opportunity for trade and of course the EU 'free trade' is actually a huge protectionist bloc!

Finally the paper appears to unquestionably support EU spending like the CAP, probably one of the least productive subsidy regimes ever without ever even briefly contemplating that it may actually be possible to manage such funds much more productively than the EU does.

It does however yet again show the SNP fully supporting further EU integration in a energy union, banking union, capital markets union and a digitise single market...there really does seem to be no end to the SNP's desire to see the EU centralise everything.

So safe to say I'm not really convinced by this latest crystal ball effort no matter how grand a name they have given their model.
    Thatís a very detailed and damming summary for a skim-read.

Out of interest, has anyone produced an economic assessment that shows the positives of Brexit? One that tells us how these opportunities we always hear about are going to grow our economy?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    Out of interest, has anyone produced an economic assessment that shows the positives of Brexit? One that tells us how these opportunities we always hear about are going to grow our economy?
    Dont think so, they are probably too hypothetical.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    If I remember rightly it was written on the side of a bus, something about £350m and the NHS.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

@hibs.net private member
    The problem with any assessment is the models used. Economic predictions are inherently risky and very often wrong.

A few short articles that point this out in general and with a Brexit slant and why such papers and particularly the projected numbers like the SG has just produced should be taken with a huge dose of salt.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...angerous-place

https://themarketmogul.com/problem-economic-models/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/theco...e-market-84171

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Very good article and further emphasises how depressing the brexit vote was.