hibs.net Messageboard

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 747555657
Results 1,681 to 1,692 of 1692
    First Team Breakthrough
    • Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I suppose you prefer the ring wing capitalist neoliberal dictatorship. Like a left wing dictatorship but with less equality.

I'm against any form of dictatorship be it the EU kind or any other.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeTeam View Post
    I'm against any form of dictatorship be it the EU kind or any other.
    So you're against the British tory dictatorship also then? Or is it only a dictatorship when it suits your own political angle?

It's not going to happen.

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    I've always found David Martin MEP to be a straight hitter.

Good article here on Brexit, the Scottish Government, and our future.

https://t.co/2kiT0JLdVa

First Team Breakthrough
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/s...ocks-jb35qx3j9

No matter your political persuasion this should concern you.

First Team Breakthrough
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1...e_on_Union___/

"Earlier this year, James Chapman, a former aide to David Davis, the Brexit Secretary, claimed the department had undertaken such analysis, which showed Scotland and the north-east of England would be worst hit by leaving the EU.

In response to a subsequent Freedom of Information request, the department yesterday said it would neither confirm nor deny it had undertaken such analysis because to do so could undermine the Brussels talks and provoke a “reactionary” response from stakeholders north of the Border, which could damage Britain’s economy."

So there's apparently government reports showing that Scotland will be worst hit by Brexit. Is it too much to hope that Ruth Davidson's Scottish Tories would maybe use their new found influence to do something about this? Or is it party and the UK first at the expense of Scottish jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1...e_on_Union___/

"Earlier this year, James Chapman, a former aide to David Davis, the Brexit Secretary, claimed the department had undertaken such analysis, which showed Scotland and the north-east of England would be worst hit by leaving the EU.

In response to a subsequent Freedom of Information request, the department yesterday said it would neither confirm nor deny it had undertaken such analysis because to do so could undermine the Brussels talks and provoke a “reactionary” response from stakeholders north of the Border, which could damage Britain’s economy."

So there's apparently government reports showing that Scotland will be worst hit by Brexit. Is it too much to hope that Ruth Davidson's Scottish Tories would maybe use their new found influence to do something about this? Or is it party and the UK first at the expense of Scottish jobs?
    Hmmm, let me think ...

I would think the Tories will be delighted with anything that hammers Scotland (which would be Sturgeon's fault anyway). An emaciated economy is more likely to cling on to the union.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    I saw something yesterday about whether Brexit could be stopped and it got me wondering, so I'm putting this out there for comments, is it feasible?

I don't know if many minds have changed within the hallowed halls of Westminster since the Brexit Referendum and the subsequent poorly called election, but, is it possible/feasible for an MP to bring a private members bill calling for a vote to halt negotiations due to lack of time, agreement, clarity, hobnob biscuits, anything at all, and all parties agree to a free vote.

So, is it possible? and how would it be seen in the EU?

I'm guessing it might be possible although I gather getting a Private member bill debated is fraught with difficulties. As for the EU, it would show the UK as weak, unstable and could end in a few years with the EU hammering us when the current agreements come up for renogation.

Anyways, any experts out there?
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    I saw something yesterday about whether Brexit could be stopped and it got me wondering, so I'm putting this out there for comments, is it feasible?

I don't know if many minds have changed within the hallowed halls of Westminster since the Brexit Referendum and the subsequent poorly called election, but, is it possible/feasible for an MP to bring a private members bill calling for a vote to halt negotiations due to lack of time, agreement, clarity, hobnob biscuits, anything at all, and all parties agree to a free vote.

I'm guessing it might be possible although I gather getting a Private member bill debated is fraught with difficulties. As for the EU, it would show the UK as weak, unstable and could end in a few years with the EU hammering us when the current agreements come up for renogation.

I can’t see it happening. Most politicians seem to have agreed that the referendum result is binding and it would be undemocratic to try and reverse it. Another vote would be the only way to reverse it now.
    [SIGPIC]

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I can’t see it happening. Most politicians seem to have agreed that the referendum result is binding and it would be undemocratic to try and reverse it. Another vote would be the only way to reverse it now.
    I think the Tories are trying their hardest to ensure that the outcome of any negotiations are so bad that when it comes to ratifying the deal in parliament it will get rejected and that a second referendum will be the only way to solve the resulting stalemate.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post

Its an interesting question... i think there are a few possible scenarios, although i wouldnt say any were likely, as such.

Give the political volatility we now have, i certainly would not bet against it.

Even leaving aside the obvious parliamentary block or the government falling, there is also likrly to be a few years of transition in which a new government might take a difderent stance

Id say the EU would be delighted to have the UK stay. It woyld vindicate their approach to the negotiations, and it would solidify the EU more than ever - if one of the biggest, military and economic powers cant leave, nobody can. Whether that would be a good thing for tge EU or not is a different question.

I really dont think it is out of the question - we have not hit the peak panic period yet imo, and if business and corporate interests make enough of a stink, both here and in Europe, it could still be stopped, watered-down or put to another vote, whixh would be fascinating.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I think the Tories are trying their hardest to ensure that the outcome of any negotiations are so bad that when it comes to ratifying the deal in parliament it will get rejected and that a second referendum will be the only way to solve the resulting stalemate.
    I wouldn’t bet against that.
    [SIGPIC]