hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh man, that really rips my knitting when you see some halfwit looking all confused and complaining about "they don't give you enough information to make a decision" kind of thing.Very common on Question Time, vox pops and the like.
    Even worse are those who say "stop talking about politics, it's boring". They're also normally the first to complain about changes too.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    It's incredible ****wittery that they don't and it didn't happen on the Scottish referendum.

Schools should definitely do more to make kids more engaged in political issues as part of their pastoral role.

I was dumbfounded by some of the vox pops on the TV during the campaign some young people saying nobody had explained what it was about to them!! So much for the connected generation - surely they can google it!!
    They certainly spend enough time with their heads attached to various devices.

@hibs.net private member RagingReality's Avatar
    Theresa May openly admitting she'll use the future of EU Citizens in the UK as a pawn in negotiations for access to the single market. Absolutely disgusting.

1-1, 1-1, 2-0, 2-2, 1-0, 0-0, 3-1

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    Theresa May openly admitting she'll use the future of EU Citizens in the UK as a pawn in negotiations for access to the single market. Absolutely disgusting.
    Its all just posturing pre negotiation.

Its absolutely our politicians job now to get the uk the best possible deal - this is all just part of that.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post

Its absolutely our politicians job now to get the uk the best possible deal - this is all just part of that.
    You mean, all the fear voiced by remainers is coming true. Whad hae thunk it!!!?
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    She won't though. Not unless she wants to piss off thousands of Brits abroad.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    You mean, all the fear voiced by remainers is coming true. Whad hae thunk it!!!?
    I dont follow?

Posturing?
    Letting residents of our country feel their future here is in doubt as part of political bargaining is downright nasty.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

I dont follow?
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Posturing?
    Letting residents of our country feel their future here is in doubt as part of political bargaining is downright nasty.
    That answers your question.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Whatever the Tories do about residency and related issues, they'll just change the electoral franchise to protect their own interests afterwards.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Posturing?
    Possibly, but it was always going to be thus. The government has a duty to the whole country now to be fierce negotiators

Giving anything away pre negotiation is daft.

Plus, thwir futures here are in doubt, thats just the reality. Juat as brits abroad future isnin doubt.

Personally i dont see a cat in hell's chance of those already here not being allowed to stay, but as of two years from now, they prob wobnt have that right.
    Last edited by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy; 04-07-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Whatever the Tories do about residency and related issues, they'll just change the electoral franchise to protect their own interests afterwards.
    How might they do that?

You do know current electoral boundaries favour the labour party?

Torys do what's best for Torys and their pals. The rest of us are plebs and what happens to us doesn't matter.
    Space to let

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Torys do what's best for Torys and their pals. The rest of us are plebs and what happens to us doesn't matter.
    Its reductive stuff like this that lets political discourse down.

Also, given most of their pals didnt want brexit, how does that fit with your narrative?

Also, given most of their pals didnt want brexit, how does that fit with your narrative?
    There will be those that backed both sides of the debate.

Just look at the case of one Boris Johnson and his journey to lead the leavers. Up to a couple of weeks before he was remain!

Look at the recent May statement. Apparently willing to abuse the rights the million or so EU migrants that are currently contributing to the UK in so many ways as pawns in a political tit for tat.

Whatever happens the rich will continue to get considerably richer, queues at the foodbanks will get considerably longer and the rest of us will be too busy trying to keep our heads above water to notice.

It's easier saying Torys do what's best for Torys and their pals. The rest of us are plebs and what happens to us doesn't matter. Folk know what I mean.
    Space to let

#Persevered

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Academics coming out in force!

https://www.nchlondon.ac.uk/2016/07/01/professor-c-graylings-letter-650-mps-urging-parliament-not-support-motion-trigger-article-50-lisbon-treaty-1-july-2016/
    Space to let

Testimonial Due
    There will be those that backed both sides of the debate.

Just look at the case of one Boris Johnson and his journey to lead the leavers. Up to a couple of weeks before he was remain!

Look at the recent May statement. Apparently willing to abuse the rights the million or so EU migrants that are currently contributing to the UK in so many ways as pawns in a political tit for tat.

Whatever happens the rich will continue to get considerably richer, queues at the foodbanks will get considerably longer and the rest of us will be too busy trying to keep our heads above water to notice.

It's easier saying Torys do what's best for Torys and their pals. The rest of us are plebs and what happens to us doesn't matter. Folk know what I mean.
    Ok, folk know what you mean.

Ill leave you to get back to the breadline of your victorian dystopia

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Whilst I agree with their concerns, the idea that the Commons might knock back the referendum vote niggles at my sense of democracy.

Given the debate about the undemocratic nature of the EU, it would be the ultimate irony if the Commons respected the vote, but the Lords rejected it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

How do you know which one's really wanted brexit and which ones didn't? Based on the side they campaigned on? lol

Let me tell you something about British Politicians. They will do exactly what they have to do to further their own personal careers, even if it means standing on a side that they don't really agree with. That's what Boris Johnson did and it backfired on him spectacularly.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    How do you know which one's really wanted brexit and which ones didn't? Based on the side they campaigned on? lol

Let me tell you something about British Politicians. They will do exactly what they have to do to further their own personal careers, even if it means standing on a side that they don't really agree with. That's what Boris Johnson did and it backfired on him spectacularly.
    I presumed he meant wealthy & corporate interests - the majority of whom were remain.

Thanks for the lesson. Im sure that applies to most politicians - i doubt jean claude juncker could have reached such high office by pursuing domestic politics in luxemburg.

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Vince from Hull wants to put up a fence between England and Scotland, mainly because Scotland doesn't want to be part of England.
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/brexit-...rder-1-4168773

He's not wrong.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Guy on BBC just now wants to shut the gates, we are full!!! Oh but he has 6 kids and a horse, clearly doesn't do irony

@hibs.net private member PeeJay's Avatar
    I presumed he meant wealthy & corporate interests - the majority of whom were remain.

Thanks for the lesson. Im sure that applies to most politicians - i doubt jean claude juncker could have reached such high office by pursuing domestic politics in luxemburg.
    You may doubt it, but that is exactly what he did - he was Prime Minister in Luxembourg from 1995 up to 2013 ...

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    You may doubt it, but that is exactly what he did - he was Prime Minister in Luxembourg from 1995 up to 2013 ...
    Thats my point. Nobody cares about the PM of luxemburg. His career has been defined by the EU - i mean can anyone name any other former or current luxemburg PMs?

@hibs.net private member PeeJay's Avatar
    Thats my point. Nobody cares about the PM of luxemburg. His career has been defined by the EU - i mean can anyone name any other former or current luxemburg PMs?
    Santer also comes to mind ... he's hardy a political gnome either. They have both played important roles in shaping the modern-day European Union. Anyway, isn't this some sort of arrogance on your part? No-body cares? A case could be made for saying that these guys have contributed more to making the EU evolve than any of the "big weights" from the important countries like the UK (?).
    Last edited by PeeJay; 05-07-2016 at 10:18 AM.

See, that's the kind of disrespect and jingoism that was the trademark of Leave.

What you mean is YOU don't care about the PM of Luxemburg (it's got an initial capital) and YOU can't name any other former or current Luxemburg PMs.

That kind of attitude would get you elected leader of UKIP.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    and the mask slips...

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Santer also comes to mind ... he's hardy a political gnome either. They have both played important roles in shaping the modern-day European Union. Anyway, isn't this some sort of arrogance on your part? No-body cares? A case could be made for saying that these guys have contributed more to making the EU evolve than any of the "big weights" from the important countries like the UK (?).
    Youre missing the point.

Yes, they have made big impacts on europe, that is the whole point. Europe has served them very well, of course they are committed federalists.

Otherwise they would be another (unknown) former PM of Lux.

They are feathering their own nest as much as any other politician does.