hibs.net Messageboard

Page 194 of 194 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194
Results 5,791 to 5,812 of 5812
  1. #5791
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    12,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornadoes70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wonder if Nicola will attend Soapy's trial in an open demonstration of support for her ex mentor?
    Troll
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #5792
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,488
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Happy to meet Hamas and the IRA, but draws the line at Chuka Umunna. 😂
    Play this clip

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-pol...inder-politics

    Ooft the hypocrisy meter has just gone off the scale!

    Either that or he is just as simply clueless as everyone has come to believe.

    Not ruling out a combination of both - Milne, the swivel-eyed loon has been happy to feed the rather incompetent Corbyn lines since his election.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  4. #5793
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    15,504
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You were doing so well until your last paragraph
    I do get where you're coming from and as I say it's why Blair did well and why Corbyn won't. The issue for Blair/Brown was that they were so scared of pissing off the financiers etc that they allowed them to regulate themselves. And we all bore the brunt of that disaster. There is a happy medium to he struck and right now it's neither Mays Tories or Corbyns Labour. I do think that in an Independent Scotland we could set ourselves up to be that happy medium that we have both described
    Im a big supporter of independence but dont kid yourself that we wont **** up like every other country.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5794
    @hibs.net private member PeeJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    5,067
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, you are wrong in some of the detail.

    Bercow said the house could vote on exactly the same deal if it first expressed its wish to do so via a business motion. So if the deal could muster the votes to pass it could also muster the votes to get itself voted on.

    Also Tusk said the deal must pass for a short extension. He didn’t say anything about a long extension.

    Cheers - Apparently this is the easy bit, after this finally gets dealt with it then gets really difficult ....
    Last edited by PeeJay; Today at 07:30 AM.
    .... Die spinnen, die Briten ....

  6. #5795
    Today's a big day, since today's the day that journos get to confirm with Tuskie that a long extension's still a possibility. If it is, the ERG puts their champers away, MV3 sinks again and May's off to spend more time with her knitting.

  7. #5796
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    38,318
    MPs have already voted against no deal in principle.

    Surely that will hold true regardless of the result of MV3?

    Are they really just going to sit on their hands and await the catastrophe?
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; Today at 07:53 AM.

  8. #5797
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    MPs have already voted against no deal in principle.

    Surely that will hold true regardless of the result of MV3?

    Are they really just going to sit on their hands and await the catastrophe?
    Think at the moment only the government can introduce legislation to change the exit date, so unless the parly can wrest control of that process then they may have no option but to sit on their hands.

  9. #5798
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,547
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What a terrible statement from May. All the fault of the MPs, not her fault, she feels bad about it, no appetite for 2nd referendum (not sure how she can measure that). If only we had an opposition that had stood firmly behind a second referendum based on deal, no deal, status quo. Instead they have, led by an inept, career protester not fit to be the main man allowed the UK to drift into a constitutional crisis
    The underlying crux of her speech and body language was pure Smeagol, heavily suggesting that all other MPs were at fault with a secret conspiracy to thwart the will of the people. Utterly despicable person.

  10. #5799
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    2,784
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The underlying crux of her speech and body language was pure Smeagol, heavily suggesting that all other MPs were at fault with a secret conspiracy to thwart the will of the people. Utterly despicable person.
    She really is. This whole narrative of her being praised because of the determination that keeps getting trotted out, really makes my piss boil.

  11. #5800
    @hibs.net private member Diclonius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Larbert
    Age
    27
    Posts
    11,775
    If Tusk says yes to long extension then May is done. She's already ****ed up her chances in a potential MV3 by going on a Trumpesque rant at MPs.

  12. #5801
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cheers - Apparently this is the easy bit, after this finally gets dealt with it then gets really difficult ....
    Indeed. An actual comprehensive free trade agreement would take years to negotiate even if the UK side had the faintest hope of having a unified set of objectives.

  13. #5802
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Tusk says yes to long extension then May is done. She's already ****ed up her chances in a potential MV3 by going on a Trumpesque rant at MPs.
    He won't say yes until he's asked. He won't be asked until enough Remain Tory MPs rebel. That's going to take the more sensible element of their front bench to have the balls to resign. They have another chance on Monday but I wouldn't bet anything on them taking it.

  14. #5803
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-independent-scotland-would-have-to-adopt-euro-after-joining-eu

    Interesting fact check based on discussions a few weeks back.

    "As it stands, its unlikely an independent Scotland would be able to avoid adopting the euro indefinitely"
    I know I'm supposed to be ignoring you, but I didn't promise to ignore C4, so I sent them an email:

    Hi Georgina,

    Your fact check:

    https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...ter-joining-eu

    Doesn't seem particularly complete.

    I wonder why you avoided mentioning Sweden, which has been theoretically committed to joining the Euro since 1995, held a referendum on joining in 2003 and subsequent to that "No" vote has carried on with its own currency since?

    Also, although you mentioned the 3 most recent EU members not using the Euro (Bulgaria and Romania since 2007, Croatia since 2013) you seem to have forgotten to mention there are 3 others (Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic, since 2004).

    So that's 7 countries not using the Euro with no opt-out. Of those 7, only 2, Bulgaria and Croatia, have a government policy of moving towards Eurozone membership.

    I would have thought that making a statement like:

    "As it stands, its unlikely an independent Scotland would be able to avoid adopting the euro indefinitely."

    ... when there is actually an example country that has not joined in 24 years and has declared it has no plan to join, is more of an opinion than a fact. And an opinion based on pretty shaky ground.

    My fact check of your fact check: "could do better". :-)

    Best regards,
    I'll let you know if I get a response.

  15. #5804
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know I'm supposed to be ignoring you, but I didn't promise to ignore C4, so I sent them an email:



    I'll let you know if I get a response.
    I hope you get a reply, but it probably comes down to interpretation of the rules and what you want to see.

    Junker was pretty clear:

    Jean-Claude Juncker, President of the European Commission, 15th September 2017 said.

    If we want the euro to unite rather than divide our continent, then it should be more than the currency of a select group of countries. The euro is meant to be the single currency of the European Union as a whole."

    "All but two of our Member States are required and entitled to join the euro once they fulfil all conditions.

  16. #5805
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope you get a reply, but it probably comes down to interpretation of the rules and what you want to see.

    Junker was pretty clear:

    Jean-Claude Juncker, President of the European Commission, 15th September 2017 said.

    If we want the euro to unite rather than divide our continent, then it should be more than the currency of a select group of countries. The euro is meant to be the single currency of the European Union as a whole."

    "All but two of our Member States are required and entitled to join the euro once they fulfil all conditions.
    You missed out the first part* (which it strikes me might be at least moderately important):

    I have no intention of forcing countries to join the euro if they are not willing or not able to do so.
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release...17-3265_en.htm



    * some might speculate you did so in order to be deliberately misleading but obviously I would be ignoring that.

  17. #5806
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You missed out the first part* (which it strikes me might be at least moderately important):



    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release...17-3265_en.htm



    * some might speculate you did so in order to be deliberately misleading but obviously I would be ignoring that.
    I look forward to ignoring you in future debates on currency in the months to come.

  18. #5807
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I look forward to ignoring you in future debates on currency in the months to come.
    Likewise

    (I am kinda interested though - did you think you'd get away with the selective quoting?)

  19. #5808
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Likewise

    (I am kinda interested though - did you think you'd get away with the selective quoting?)
    The publication I took it from only has the quote I copied. But of course it would.

  20. #5809
    @hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,690
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The publication I took it from only has the quote I copied. But of course it would.
    Which publication was that?

  21. #5810
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which publication was that?
    I think it was called 'Ian Blackford was wrong and we do need to adopt the Euro' but will need to check.

  22. #5811
    @hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,690
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it was called 'Ian Blackford was wrong and we do need to adopt the Euro' but will need to check.
    I guess I'll just have to assume it was the Daily Mail then?

  23. #5812
    Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess I'll just have to assume it was the Daily Mail then?
    Political parties with mailing lists send wee snippets like this every so often to try and get their supporters to spread the info. Or, as in this case, to poison the well.

    I imagine J/J is on the Tory one.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved