hibs.net Messageboard

Page 163 of 234 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173213 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,890 of 6997
  1. #4861
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,831
    Blog Entries
    1

    Brexit - what will happen next

    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is some truth to that, but in the end it's a flawed analysis. It's an analysis that assumes there is some easy answer to the Brexit mess, that the politicians by mere stupidity or deviousness are ignoring, when in fact there isn't. This is an intractable problem, caused by a crazy selfish decision to hold the election, but also by the votes cast by all those people who voted Leave, which is going to go on for years and years. There are some idiots in parliament, but I reject the notion that this generation of politicians are uniquely terrible compared to previous generations.

    My post is not about our current pool
    Of politicians being terrible compared to previous generations - itís about how they have collectively acted at this defining period .

    leaders could have chosen to work across party lines to work through a way forward that was right for the country whilst seeking to respect the democratic outcome of this mad vote - they didnít..they have chosen a largely partisan approach which I Would argue has prioritised looking after their own political agendas in advance of the greater good of the country - thatís why I refer to the lack of real
    Leadership


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #4862
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    48
    Posts
    21,919
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My post is not about our current pool
    Of politicians being terrible compared to previous generations - itís about how they have collectively acted at this defining period .

    leaders could have chosen to work across party lines to work through a way forward that was right for the country whilst seeking to respect the democratic outcome of this mad vote - they didnít..they have chosen a largely partisan approach which I Would argue has prioritised looking after their own political agendas in advance of the greater good of the country - thatís why I refer to the lack of real
    Leadership
    The greater good of the country or 'the national interest' is a bit of a pet hate of mine, I'm afraid. I just think it's based on a false assumption that there is such a thing. There are competing groups of people, some in politics and most outside politics, with their own particular interests, most of them to do with class or material gain, and some of whom will even benefit from mad things like a No Deal Brexit.

  4. #4863
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,831
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The greater good of the country or 'the national interest' is a bit of a pet hate of mine, I'm afraid. I just think it's based on a false assumption that there is such a thing. There are competing groups of people, some in politics and most outside politics, with their own particular interests, most of them to do with class or material gain, and some of whom will even benefit from mad things like a No Deal Brexit.
    There is indeed that complexity..handling multi and competing agendas is what leadership needs to do at times of crisis...that is precisely why we should have had a set of Political Leaders standing above those partisan agendas on all sides.

  5. #4864
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that deep philosophical questions such as that will be the focus of many future dissertations...

    when historians judge this period - it will be seen as a time when the Tories put staying in power above the right thing for the country , and Labour put seeking to get into power above the right thing for the country ..

    At a time when we need Leadership the most , we are leaderless..
    May is coming to the end of her time in the limelight and is desperate not to go down in historee as the leaderene who caused the Tory party to break up. That's the sole reason she is listening to the likes of Mark Ffsfrancois rather than telling him to GTF.

  6. #4865
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    12,899
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ha Ha I take your point.

    This is the greatest country in the world. It must be.

    Otherwise why would folk be risking their lives clinging on to the under sides of lorries to get here?

    Go figure (as they say in America).
    Check the figures. Turkey has the largest number of asylum seekers in Europe. Also you should watch Glasgow Girls for an excellent view on asylum seekers in the UK.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  7. #4866
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Check the figures. Turkey has the largest number of asylum seekers in Europe. Also you should watch Glasgow Girls for an excellent view on asylum seekers in the UK.
    Because the EU gave Turkey 6 billion euros to keep 'em there. Britain's definitely the best country. WATP. MBGA. BRTW. etc.

  8. #4867
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We are not the only country people are trying to migrate to. All liberal democracies countries are experiencing this because it is the best system of government available. The amount of migrants we are dealing with are tiny compared to some countries.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are plenty of economic migrants in Saudi, the UAE etc. Follow the money.

  9. #4868
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    10,623
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because the EU gave Turkey 6 billion euros to keep 'em there. Britain's definitely the best country. WATP. MBGA. BRTW. etc.
    The whole of Germany is laughing themselves into a hysterical fit whilst simultaneously polishing all 4 World Cup trophies at this statement.

  10. #4869
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The whole of Germany is laughing themselves into a hysterical fit whilst simultaneously polishing all 4 World Cup trophies at this statement.
    But Ö the Empire Ö railways to India Ö sense of fair play Ö

  11. #4870
    @hibs.net private member Diclonius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Larbert
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,209
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ha Ha I take your point.

    This is the greatest country in the world. It must be.

    Otherwise why would folk be risking their lives clinging on to the under sides of lorries to get here?

    Go figure (as they say in America).
    In 2016 in Europe the UK was behind Luxembourg, Malta, Iceland, Cyprus, Ireland, Switzerland, Sweden, Leichtenstein, Austria, Denmark, Germany, Norway, Estonia, the Netherlands, Belgium and Greece in terms of proportion of immigrants per country. Clearly not that popular.
    Last edited by Diclonius; 12-02-2019 at 11:09 AM.

  12. #4871
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In 2016 in Europe the UK was behind Luxembourg, Malta, Iceland, Cyprus, Ireland, Switzerland, Sweden, Leichtenstein, Austria, Denmark, Germany, Norway, Estonia, the Netherlands, Belgium and Greece in terms of proportion of immigrants per country. Clearly not that popular.
    But … Churchill … Nye Bevan … the Industrial Revolution … playing fields of Eton ...

  13. #4872
    Another will she, won't she? article (spoiler - no scoobies abound).

    https://www.politico.eu/article/insi...al-cliff-edge/

  14. #4873
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another will she, won't she? article (spoiler - no scoobies abound).

    https://www.politico.eu/article/insi...al-cliff-edge/
    Would the British PM really drive the UK over the cliff edge?

    (1) It's not a cliff edge
    (2) If it were, yes she would if it helped preserve the Tory party.

  15. #4874
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,542
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But Ö Churchill Ö Nye Bevan Ö the Industrial Revolution Ö playing fields of Eton ...
    The sound of leather on willow, warm beer, more tea vicar?
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  16. #4875
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The sound of leather on willow, warm beer, more tea vicar?
    Exactly. Clearly migrants would prefer to come here to England. The fact so many have ended up in Germany is testament to the way that the Germans are trying to dominate Europe and especially us. It's even worse than towels on deckchairs, because they're using innocent, vulnerable people to get one over on us.

  17. #4876
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,542
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly. Clearly migrants would prefer to come here to England. The fact so many have ended up in Germany is testament to the way that the Germans are trying to dominate Europe and especially us. It's even worse than towels on deckchairs, because they're using innocent, vulnerable people to get one over on us.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCk363SqutE
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  18. #4877
    @hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cramond
    Posts
    2,988
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly. Clearly migrants would prefer to come here to England. The fact so many have ended up in Germany is testament to the way that the Germans are trying to dominate Europe and especially us. It's even worse than towels on deckchairs, because they're using innocent, vulnerable people to get one over on us.

  19. #4878
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Had to stand up for that. Nobody else in the pub did, the disrespectful whippersnappers.

  20. #4879
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,542
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Had to stand up for that. Nobody else in the pub did, the disrespectful whippersnappers.
    Me too.

    Fixed the knot on my tie.

    Made sure the club cufflinks were secure.

    Full salute and maybe just the slightest hint of a tear in the corner of my eye. "...It's nothing matron, just blinking..."
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  21. #4880
    @hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Craggy Island
    Posts
    4,429
    Much, much more of this please



    Billboards in Leeds https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/le...teers-15747951

    Interesting poll at the bottom of the article.

    I also read an article somewhere which stated that voter registration in Leeds has dropped by something like 30k since the referendum... Only interested in politics long enough to ruin the country's future and then **** off back to Britain's Got Talent

  22. #4881
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Much, much more of this please



    Billboards in Leeds https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/le...teers-15747951

    Interesting poll at the bottom of the article.

    I also read an article somewhere which stated that voter registration in Leeds has dropped by something like 30k since the referendum... Only interested in politics long enough to ruin the country's future and then **** off back to Britain's Got Talent
    The billboards are being put up all over:

    https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys

  23. #4882
    @hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Craggy Island
    Posts
    4,429
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The billboards are being put up all over:

    https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys

  24. #4883
    @hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Me too.

    Fixed the knot on my tie.

    Made sure the club cufflinks were secure.

    Full salute and maybe just the slightest hint of a tear in the corner of my eye. "...It's nothing matron, just blinking..."
    Aw, dinnae bring Nimrod into it, fantastic piece of music!

    Agree with the sentiment though...

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  25. #4884
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,542
    Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aw, dinnae bring Nimrod into it, fantastic piece of music!

    Agree with the sentiment though...

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Sorry....I'll play my sub

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDv0xmSYM7g

    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  26. #4885
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    11,060
    Kick that can down the road Theresa.

    And get talking seriously with Labour.

  27. #4886
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    48
    Posts
    21,919
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kick that can down the road Theresa.

    And get talking seriously with Labour.
    ...and avoid anything labelled 'ground beef' in future...

    https://www.foodandwine.com/news/pin...classification

  28. #4887
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    15,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Much, much more of this please



    Billboards in Leeds https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/le...teers-15747951

    Interesting poll at the bottom of the article.

    I also read an article somewhere which stated that voter registration in Leeds has dropped by something like 30k since the referendum... Only interested in politics long enough to ruin the country's future and then **** off back to Britain's Got Talent
    Thatís a snobbish attitude and itís why Leave won. Main parties ignore people who donít normally vote (itís why pensioners get free stuff no matter how loaded they are).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  29. #4888
    @hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cramond
    Posts
    2,988
    This one should be on billboards all over Scotland, but sadly it won't be.


  30. #4889
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This one should be on billboards all over Scotland, but sadly it won't be.

    It was correct though?

  31. #4890
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    12,899
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeTeam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was correct though?
    Let's examine the facts, 55%voted no, so the suggestion is that we will remain a member of the EU. Now, jump forward 2 years and the rest of the UK (well England and Wales at least) voted to leave the EU, so voting NO results in us leaving the EU.

    Would a Yes vote have resulted in Scotland leaving the EU? not necessarily.

    Would a No vote have resulted in Scotland leaving the EU? As it transpires, definately.

    So how do you come up with the suggestion that a yes vote in 2014 has resulted in Scotland leaving the EU?
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved