hibs.net Messageboard

Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 519199100101
Results 3,001 to 3,023 of 3023
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone work in the building trade here?

If we'd seen white collar environments flooded with cheap Eastern European labour with the implications that come with that I'd imagine we'd see a lot less smugness on here.

I wish the social justice warriors would have the testicles to say the ideas they push are fine as long as they are not the ones being shafted.
    Reading back a few pages I can't see anyone really arguing immigration doesn't have any negative points; the issue seems to be with a specific post about voting intentions and tax rebates.

I think the 'they took our jobs' and 'racist' hyperbole on both sides is what keeps a sensible debate about immigration firmly off the table.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar

If we'd seen white collar environments flooded with cheap Eastern European labour with the implications that come with that I'd imagine we'd see a lot less smugness on here.

I wish the social justice warriors would have the testicles to say the ideas they push are fine as long as they are not the ones being shafted.
    What about the highly skilled doctors, consultants and nurses in hospitals. Or teachers in schools. Or GPs filling positions in areas that find it difficult to get GPs? There are loads of managers within my company who come from various parts of the world. Australia, Asia, Europe both east and west, Canada. So not really sure what your point is

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Immigrants coming here to work and wanting to vote???

They'll be setting up football teams next!!!
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar

What are you saying? You don't want a polish plumber??
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    White collar workers are also affected and are faced with a choice - go extinct, go down the right wing politics/ UKIP/ Brexit route, or capitalise on the advantages you naturally have over migrants by being from here in the first place.

My line of work saw widespread recruitment from Eastern Europe over the past couple of decades.

I had to raise my game.
    👍
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

Nah. Would never work 😉
    #Persevered

I work in software. Our current team has immigrants from India, Ireland, Italy, Poland and France. I've been employed by US companies probably because I'm cheaper than my equivalent in the Bay area. I've been made redundant at companies that have outsourced to Bangalore.

What's so special about builders?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Meanwhile, the coup is in full swing ...

Steve Baker, ERG:

9am

11am

2pm
    😂

Testimonial Due
    I work in software. Our current team has immigrants from India, Ireland, Italy, Poland and France. I've been employed by US companies probably because I'm cheaper than my equivalent in the Bay area. I've been made redundant at companies that have outsourced to Bangalore.

They get to listen to angry men on talk radio riling them yp all day, creating a faux immigrant outrage.

Bet your fancy software job doesnt do that...

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar

I'm an accountant - everything I done 5 years ago is now done in India and Poland. I'm not sure if that translates directly to challenges faced by other industries admittedly.

Totally anecdotal evidence from me.

Polish guy we got to do 2 or 3 painting jobs for us. Polite, hard working, turned up when he said he would, tidied up, did a decent job and was reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post

Polish guy we got to do 2 or 3 painting jobs for us. Polite, hard working, turned up when he said he would, tidied up, did a decent job and was reasonable.
    When I worked in hospitality management whenever we advertised jobs, particularly those such as KP, cleaners and so on, the applications from white Scots were almost non existent. Many of those that did apply then didn't bother to show up for interviews or left after about a week because it was a '***** job'.

My partners Dad works in agriculture in Lincolnshire. Boston and surrounding areas was one of the most solid leave votes and the levels of immigration were cited as a reason. He said his industry has had an unofficial policy of bias towards employing white English for years. Unfortunately not enough people from that category apply or stick it so they rely on immigrant labour. Yet his local is full of bitter men mumping about 'no jobs' and 'bloody foreigners'.

Like you it's totally anecdotal evidence but my experience was consistent across 5 years in the job. Our business couldn't have functioned without immigrants and we paid very well by industry standard so it wasn't a case of 'cheap foreign labour'.

Do YOU work in the building trade? It seems unlikely because the building trade is absolutely booming at the moment, there is enough work for everybody. 'Polish builders', some of whom have lived in Scotland for fifteen years since enlargement of the EU, are taking advantage of simple supply and demand. Some of these people have kids in Scottish schools who now have Scottish accents and are incorporated into Scottish society. And pretty boys anecdote about Scots not taking low paid work is borne out by the stats; prior to EU enlargement and freedom of movement, British workers were not applying for these jobs. I worked in the policy field for years, and the reality of british generational workless families was depressing but totally clear. You stop freedom of movement, you're left with veg rotting in fields and noone to make your tikka masala.

I'm getting building work carried out just now and wish I could have found a cheap Polish dude to do it for me, instead I had to get a Scottish guy to do it for the going rate, was raging

I do

Mon Scottish Labour

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar

In other news, you will get painters of other nationalities to do the same job, sometimes at the same standard, sometimes lower, sometimes higher.

My neighbour got a Polish plasterer in to do a skimming job, done a decent enough job, but never turned up to finish off the edges.

You get good and bad in all nationalities/trades.

SCOTLAND CAN.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post

You get good and bad in all nationalities/trades.
    Even politicians
    #Persevered

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Even politicians
    ok where are the good politicians ?

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    ok where are the good politicians ?
    Well.....

I suppose it depends on how we define good 😉
    #Persevered

I've been a plumber since I left school and self employed for around 20 years. In all that time I can't say that I've been impacted by anyone that has come to Scotland. I've worked alongside them, worked for them and had them working for me. It's a good thing, you should embrace it.

Love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    When I worked in hospitality management whenever we advertised jobs, particularly those such as KP, cleaners and so on, the applications from white Scots were almost non existent. Many of those that did apply then didn't bother to show up for interviews or left after about a week because it was a '***** job'.

My partners Dad works in agriculture in Lincolnshire. Boston and surrounding areas was one of the most solid leave votes and the levels of immigration were cited as a reason. He said his industry has had an unofficial policy of bias towards employing white English for years. Unfortunately not enough people from that category apply or stick it so they rely on immigrant labour. Yet his local is full of bitter men mumping about 'no jobs' and 'bloody foreigners'.

Like you it's totally anecdotal evidence but my experience was consistent across 5 years in the job. Our business couldn't have functioned without immigrants and we paid very well by industry standard so it wasn't a case of 'cheap foreign labour'.
    Good posts.

Before my current job I worked in a local authority and appointed two Polish persons into management positions because they were the best persons to do their respective jobs by a country mile.

No doubt it pissed others off, including people who felt they had more right by being born here, but I wanted the best person for the job. They've both done well and the service they deliver is better for having them in a position of authority.

There's more than a taint of dog whistle racism from some on here.

For those doing that, be sure that it is counter-productive because your posts stick and every post you make after it reminds everyone you are dodgy as **** as a poster.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    I've been a plumber since I left school and self employed for around 20 years. In all that time I can't say that I've been impacted by anyone that has come to Scotland. I've worked alongside them, worked for them and had them working for me. It's a good thing, you should embrace it.
    Spot on, bud.

SCOTLAND CAN.