hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 246472737475 LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 2246
  1. #2191
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    11,785
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s really quite simple. Indy or not there is no concept of a nation getting the government it wants...there will still be a large chunk of voters who would have voted for the party that is not in power.

    So of I was a Labour voter and the SNP get into power nothing changes...I have a government in charge that has been forced on me by ‘others’.

    I would suggest Quebec might also qualify on the ‘rejected a free offer’ camp. It’s also rather disingenuous to suggest Indy is a free offer...as the growth commission has shown there are very significant hurdles, risks and dangers associated with it and many folk have simply decided it’s, on the balance of probabilities, is just not worth it.

    Finally the loathing might come from the fact, repeated ad-nauseam, that the very people it’s pertaining to represent have already voted on it and said No?
    Quebec's situation is different to ours. For one thing, it's a Province not a country. Quebec get's more than it's fair share of funding from Canadian Government. Even though Quebec has less than a quarter of the population of Canada, national signs/instructions/official forms, etc. are written in French and English. (That's except in Quebec where signs have to be in French only - I'm assuming that's still the case). Their vote for independence in 1995 was 51/49 for remaining in Canada. A chunk of the NO vote were from the many Quebec francophones who are bilingual and work for the government in Ottawa, Ontario.
    The indy issues in Quebec (as with Catalonia) are somewhat different to Scotland and shouldn't really be compared unless you're using a very broad brush.
    I should add, there are many pockets of francophones in Canada outwith Quebec, mostly in New Brunswick.
    Last edited by snooky; 14-06-2018 at 03:04 PM.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2192
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Decades of austerity? As opposed to what?

    A divided nation?
    As opposed to what?

    Currency Issues? Is it 2014 again?

    No Longer a member of the UK single market & No longer part of the EU? Aye?

    Reliant on huge numbers of immigration and offering them tax cuts whilst the people already here face tax rises - creating more resentment with this small nation. haha using one of the reasons we don't want to be part of what's going on right now (intolerance towards immigrants) won't wash.

    Begging the EU for anything and everything - like the SNP have already done, grovel and beg in front of the EU.
    Ahhh.. you prefer us to beg the Tories and go on being ignored?

    Still least that's the English telt -
    Sums up your argument perfectly.
    Remember I voted No and that argument won the debate and vote in Indyref 1. You need to convince me about independence your reply is just more SNP nonsense.

  4. #2193
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,547
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quebec's situation is different to ours. For one thing, it's a Province not a country.
    Whilst you are entirely correct, Joanne Cherry QC and MP recently compared the wish for Scotland to have its own immigration policy as opposed to a UK policy, similar to Quebec and Canada. She felt it perfectly acceptable to compare a province with a country for her argument.

  5. #2194
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whilst you are entirely correct, Joanne Cherry QC and MP recently compared the wish for Scotland to have its own immigration policy as opposed to a UK policy, similar to Quebec and Canada. She felt it perfectly acceptable to compare a province with a country for her argument.
    Whatever about the history, in practical terms, Quebec, as a federal state, is considerably more powerful than Scotland, a devolved region within a unitary state.

  6. #2195
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,734
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.mix96.co.uk/news/nationa...n-westminster/

    SNP membership has risen by over 5,000 in the 24-hours following a mass-walkout by its MPs in parliament, Sky News has learned.


    great stuff, hopefully more walk-outs planned



    well done the 35
    I wonder if those disputing the numbers believe Hibs, when they say we've shifted 12.5k seasons, or just shout, Yer da. 😉

    Poor wee souls. 😂


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  7. #2196
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,547
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whatever about the history, in practical terms, Quebec, as a federal state, is considerably more powerful than Scotland, a devolved region within a unitary state.
    It may well be, my post was only highlighting that if it's acceptable to compare Scotland to Quebec for one argument then it's only fair that others can also use them for comparisons.

  8. #2197
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    11,785
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It may well be, my post was only highlighting that if it's acceptable to compare Scotland to Quebec for one argument then it's only fair that others can also use them for comparisons.
    That's what I meant when I said 'a very broad brush'. There are some similarities but there a lots of differences as well.
    Like saying an apple, like an orange, is a fruit. Yes, but they're not the same.

  9. #2198
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeTeam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Remember I voted No and that argument won the debate and vote in Indyref 1. You need to convince me about independence your reply is just more SNP nonsense.
    As strong as I think my side of the argument is, I think Iíd have my work cut-out persuading someone, who thinks the world is being taken over by a cult led by satan, to change from sympathising with the tories to supporting independence.

    I would ask though, which parts of austerity under the tories, not being in the EU, already being divided, and any of the rest of the above which I canít recall from the top of my head (and canít see on my mobile phone while typing) is just ďsnp nonsenseĒ?
    Last edited by WeeRussell; 14-06-2018 at 04:42 PM.

  10. #2199
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    21,175
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As strong as I think my side of the argument is, I think Iíd have my work cut-out persuading someone, who thinks the world is being taken over by a cult led by satin, to change from sympathising with the tories to supporting independence.

    I would ask though, which parts of austerity under the tories, not being in the EU, already being divided, and any of the rest of the above which I canít recall from the top of my head (and canít see on my mobile phone while typing) is just ďsnp nonsenseĒ?
    That would indeed be a material change....

  11. #2200
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would indeed be a material change....
    Haha very good ;)

    Seen it as soon as I hit send. Now to Ďedití using a phone!!!

  12. #2201
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    21,175
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha very good ;)

    Seen it as soon as I hit send. Now to Ďedití using a phone!!!
    Don't. Hopefully, there will be some decent puns along to add to this...um.... thread.

  13. #2202
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't. Hopefully, there will be some decent puns along to add to this...um.... thread.
    Hahaha.. stop.

    Or maybe one more..

  14. #2203
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    11,761
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would indeed be a material change....
    The devil is in the detail.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  15. #2204
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    11,761
    Depends how we cut our cloth
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  16. #2205
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,697
    Corbyn has an absolute ****load of members now - and he's going nowhere fast.

    So, '5,000' new members - good luck with that.

  17. #2206
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,697
    Darned annoying.

  18. #2207
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    11,785
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would indeed be a material change....
    (Hopefully not starting a pun-a-thon with this)....

    A-ha, I cottoned on to that right away .

  19. #2208
    This is why puns should be banned. Everyone is going to have to unravel these posts to get back on topic.

  20. #2209
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,697
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is why puns should be banned. Everyone is going to have to unravel these posts to get back on topic.
    It's really needled you hasn't it?

  21. #2210
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's really needled you hasn't it?
    Eye. Thatís my point.
    Last edited by WeeRussell; 14-06-2018 at 05:25 PM.

  22. #2211
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,697
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thatís my point.
    I know, I only just cottoned on.

  23. #2212
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know, I only just cottoned on.
    Youíve genuinely got me in stitches with this patter.

  24. #2213
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,697
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Youíve genuinely got me in stitches with this patter.
    Aye well, your flannel's not too bad either.

  25. #2214
    @hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,728
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we had it, we would have the party & government we, as a nation, would want. Not one forced on us by others. As has been pointed out in the past
    What if I voted Greens in an independent Scotland, would I get a Green government, the one I wanted?

  26. #2215
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What if I voted Greens in an independent Scotland, would I get a Green government, the one I wanted?
    Not necessarily. We donít all get individual governments based on our votes.

    I suspect you knew that already though.

  27. #2216
    @hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,728
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not necessarily. We donít all get individual governments based on our votes.

    I suspect you knew that already though.
    Yes I did, so I am still getting a government forced on me.

  28. #2217
    3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Age
    44
    Posts
    22,482
    Blog Entries
    4
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Ah, the good old, all-inclusive tories, telling Scottish MPs to contemplate suicide if they want their voices heard.



    During the debate SNP Westminster leader Ian Blackford asked: "Mr Speaker, what options are available to us in this house to ensure that the Government understands real concern among people in Scotland at this unprecedented power grab, and how can we make sure that our voices are heard?"

    In response, an MP can be heard shouting "suicide" back at Robertson.

    disgusting.

  29. #2218
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    10,587
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you seriously attempting to contend that the Labour tribe has any less resentment for its counterpart than the SNP tribe?
    Am I picking you up right - you're saying Labour supporteres and SNP supporters dislike each other in equal measures? I'm sure that's true in a lot of cases but the point I'm making is one value base is derived from differentiation and accusations of oppression and the other value base is more rooted in internationalism. Having said that, clearly a lot of Labour voters voted for Brexit and not every SNP supporter wants to blame the English for everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've given the answer (I think a couple of times). It's a basic power struggle. Both sides say that repatriated powers in devolved competencies should mainly go to Holyrood with certain exceptions where agreed UK frameworks make sense. The difference is the UK wants to impose them, the Scot gov wants to agree them.

    But of course you already knew that ...
    That's not the point I was making to RyeSloan. It was highlighting that if SNP is keen on self-determination, why does it want to continue being part of a union that would insist it followed its directives and legislation?

    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh, forgot to say. This is plain wrong. The financial convergence rules affect membership of the Eurozone, not the EU.
    EU admissions criteria state that candidate demonstrate adherence to the aims of monetary and economic union, and everyone in the EU but not the Eurozone is obliged to join the Eurozone when they meet the criteria, bar Denmark and the UK IIRC. To be honest, if Scotland joined the EU as a member state I would probably want us using the Euro if possible.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  30. #2219
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The bit in bold. A lot of those, in my experience, have connections to the armed forces. Others are to be found in processions in a months time.
    I think myself and at least one other prominent supporter of independence on here kinda contradict that particular generalisation. In fact I'm toiling to think of another Scottish ex military mate who confirms your cliche.

  31. #2220
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,643
    [QUOTE=HomeTeam;5430969]
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's fair enough. I can fully understand her feeling that way. What annoys me about the whole Indy thing is the wide idea that we would break away from the rest of the UK in everything. The reality, IMO, is that nothing much would change (ignoring the Brexit problem for a minute). Life would go an more or less the way it is now. The only difference would be our finances and the distribution of them would be spread out differently. We would certainly be treated with a lot more respect from WM than we are just now for sure.

    This is definitely not an ideal time for Indy2 however, after yesterday's performance in the HoC, I think the government are actually forcing the Indy movement's hand (whether intentionally or not, I don't know).

    Yesterday they made it very plain that they regard Scotland as servile and insignificant. If we have Indy2 and lose, what will we have lost? We'll still be treated as servile and insignificant. If we win................????[/QUOTE]

    Decades of austerity?
    A divided nation?
    Currency Issues?
    No Longer a member of the UK single market & No longer part of the EU?
    Reliant on huge numbers of immigration and offering them tax cuts whilst the people already here face tax rises - creating more resentment with this small nation.
    No longer a member or Nato
    huge debts with no lender of last resort.
    Begging the EU for anything and everything - like the SNP have already done, grovel and beg in front of the EU.

    Still least that's the English telt
    What?!? As opposed to the decade of Austerity we have just had?

    BTW the NATO one is utter tripe. Itís an area I know a bit about NATO will not be kicking Scotland out. We are the Southern part of the Greenland, Iceland, Scotland gap. We occupy far too important a strategic position.

    Its one of the reasons Iceland is in the NORTH Atlantic Treaty Organisation.
    Last edited by Bristolhibby; 14-06-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved