hibs.net Messageboard

Page 67 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 2520
  1. #1981
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They need May out pronto, couldn't fight her way out a wet paper bag and she's getting pummelled from all angles (apologies for the images that brings up).

    I'd honestly prefer a hard Brexit government led by Farage and Rees Mogg that had the balls to negotiate hard with the EU.
    The way t do that and solve a whole load of other problems would be to get Corbyn out pronto. Canít see it happening, though.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #1982
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,858
    The words of the PM of Luxembourg, perfectly capturing Brexit.

    "They were in with a load of opt-outs. Now they are out, and want a load of opt-ins".

    As the days pass, the Tories, both Scots, and English, have not got a clue.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  4. #1983
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    12,044
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A 23 mile bridge across the Irish Sea!

    Never ever gonna happen. Excluding the fact that crossing such a structure in the frequent poor weather sounds like a rather scary prospect it makes little sense as it would make landfall in Scotland no where near any major road infrastructure or population centres.

    Some quality reporting as well:

    ďThe one major stumbling block in negotiations could be the large cost of such a projectĒ

    Well no **** Sherlock!
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe the Scottish Government could start by improving the transport infrastructure to our own Islands first.
    Obviously it all the SNP's idea, but not really, it has been investigated before with tunnels considered at the end of the 19th century

    The construction of a bridge or a tunnel has often been discussed and a proposal was also contained in the 2015 DUP manifesto.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  5. #1984
    Transition deal agreed. Which is good.

    UK caves on Irish backstop, EU citizens' rights for new arrivals and fishing ...

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...t-michael-gove

    Scottish Fishermens' Federation greeting about it already. Who'd have thought they'd get sold out, eh?

  6. #1985
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,901
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Transition deal agreed. Which is good.

    UK caves on Irish backstop, EU citizens' rights for new arrivals and fishing ...

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...t-michael-gove

    Scottish Fishermens' Federation greeting about it already. Who'd have thought they'd get sold out, eh?
    Yeah good news, although i have to admit that after the russian spat, im increasingly uneasy over brexit, and i wish someone would come out and scupper the whole thing

  7. #1986
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah good news, although i have to admit that after the russian spat, im increasingly uneasy over brexit, and i wish someone would come out and scupper the whole thing

  8. #1987
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    47
    Posts
    19,965
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Transition deal agreed. Which is good.

    UK caves on Irish backstop, EU citizens' rights for new arrivals and fishing ...

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...t-michael-gove

    Scottish Fishermens' Federation greeting about it already. Who'd have thought they'd get sold out, eh?
    Im not really understanding why the SNP are so angry about the announcement today, since they (and all of us who voted Remain) were in effect always voting for a continuation of the CFP It was a bridge that always needed crossing at some point. I suppose if the Tories now get a kicking in the Aberdeenshire constituencies as a result, it's a price worth paying.

    The fishing industry lobby is just a massive pain in the jacksie. Stripped the sea almost to extinction through greed and then moaned about the implications of doing so.

  9. #1988
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,901
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im not really understanding why the SNP are so angry about the announcement today, since they (and all of us who voted Remain) were in effect always voting for a continuation of the CFP It was a bridge that always needed crossing at some point. I suppose if the Tories now get a kicking in the Aberdeenshire constituencies as a result, it's a price worth paying.

    The fishing industry lobby is just a massive pain in the jacksie. Stripped the sea almost to extinction through greed and then moaned about the implications of doing so.
    I dont know a lot about fishing, and i have to admit it is an industry that has often puzzled me too. As you say, they fished the stocks into oblivion, and as far as my lay eye can see, have needed strixt quotas (they seem to habe collevtively moaned about every single set of quotas imposed) to keep their industry alive and preserve stocks at all.

    Im sure there is an alternative view, and id be interested to hear it.

  10. #1989
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im not really understanding why the SNP are so angry about the announcement today, since they (and all of us who voted Remain) were in effect always voting for a continuation of the CFP It was a bridge that always needed crossing at some point. I suppose if the Tories now get a kicking in the Aberdeenshire constituencies as a result, it's a price worth paying.

    The fishing industry lobby is just a massive pain in the jacksie. Stripped the sea almost to extinction through greed and then moaned about the implications of doing so.
    I think the SNP's problem is the Tories lured away some of their NE voters on a false promise. So it's more of a "telt ye" thing than anything else.

  11. #1990
    Can't wait to see Ruth "What's she like?!?!" Davidson try to charm her way out of this one.

  12. #1991
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,755
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the SNP's problem is the Tories lured away some of their NE voters on a false promise. So it's more of a "telt ye" thing than anything else.
    The SNP position is its usual oxymoron over the EU...greetiní about not getting powers it explicitly states wants to remain with the EU.

    As for the fishermen...well itís pretty clear they are unhappy with the transition period proposals but If, as seems likely, at the end of the period full powers are returned to the UK on fishing then I canít really see there issue. Itís called a transition period for a reason!

  13. #1992
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The SNP position is its usual oxymoron over the EU...greetin’ about not getting powers it explicitly states wants to remain with the EU.

    As for the fishermen...well it’s pretty clear they are unhappy with the transition period proposals but If, as seems likely, at the end of the period full powers are returned to the UK on fishing then I can’t really see there issue. It’s called a transition period for a reason!
    That's a slightly tangential point here, ie. it's more of a general background greet than the specific greet du jour hibsbollah was asking about.

    As per others above, I know next to f all about the fishing industry but, from their point of view, they would have considerably more political leverage over Holyrood than Westminster (where it's now clear they have absolutely zilchio). Westminster may have full control after 2020, but who would bet against them using that control to bargain away access rights to fishing grounds for whatever they perceive as more beneficial to their heartland.

  14. #1993
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,755
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a slightly tangential point here, ie. it's more of a general background greet than the specific greet du jour hibsbollah was asking about.

    As per others above, I know next to f all about the fishing industry but, from their point of view, they would have considerably more political leverage over Holyrood than Westminster (where it's now clear they have absolutely zilchio). Westminster may have full control after 2020, but who would bet against them using that control to bargain away access rights to fishing grounds for whatever they perceive as more beneficial to their heartland.
    From what I can see the financial impact of fishing on the UK economy is absolutely tiny. 0.044% of GDP. With about 14,000 people employed directly and similar in processing.

    So in bare economic terms itís really not worth too much bother. Clearly however it supports specific communities and Ďways of lifeí that are of importance from a historic perspective, and they are a pretty vocal tiny minority so Iím sure it will continue to get coverage.

  15. #1994
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    12,044
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The SNP position is its usual oxymoron over the EU...greetiní about not getting powers it explicitly states wants to remain with the EU.

    As for the fishermen...well itís pretty clear they are unhappy with the transition period proposals but If, as seems likely, at the end of the period full powers are returned to the UK on fishing then I canít really see there issue. Itís called a transition period for a reason!
    And then there's the future to look forward to....

    https://ec.europa.eu/fisheries/cfp/i.../agreements_en
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  16. #1995
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From what I can see the financial impact of fishing on the UK economy is absolutely tiny. 0.044% of GDP. With about 14,000 people employed directly and similar in processing.

    So in bare economic terms itís really not worth too much bother. Clearly however it supports specific communities and Ďways of lifeí that are of importance from a historic perspective, and they are a pretty vocal tiny minority so Iím sure it will continue to get coverage.
    Agreed. But the Brexiteers made a big deal out of talking up fishing. They can hardly complain if others make a big deal that they aren't walking the walk and their natural order is to sell the fishermen out again.

  17. #1996
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,755
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. But the Brexiteers made a big deal out of talking up fishing. They can hardly complain if others make a big deal that they aren't walking the walk and their natural order is to sell the fishermen out again.
    Nobody has sold anybody out yet though have they?

    What I have read is that during the transition phase the EU quotaís etc will still largely apply to give all interested parties time to adjust and plan for when they donít.

    OK so some fishermen seemed to think they would somehow be exempt from that process but Iíve seen nothing to suggest that post transition that fishing wonít be fully a UK matter in UK waters.

    In other words much ado about nothing from my (albeit limited) perspective.

  18. #1997
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,858
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im not really understanding why the SNP are so angry about the announcement today, since they (and all of us who voted Remain) were in effect always voting for a continuation of the CFP It was a bridge that always needed crossing at some point. I suppose if the Tories now get a kicking in the Aberdeenshire constituencies as a result, it's a price worth paying.

    The fishing industry lobby is just a massive pain in the jacksie. Stripped the sea almost to extinction through greed and then moaned about the implications of doing so.
    This is an extract from "Scotland's place in Europe", and it details that we wouldn't be in the CFP. It may have been lost in the brexit fog of the last year or so.

    127. Fisheries and agriculture - EFTA EEA countries are not within the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) or the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) and most agricultural and fish products traded from EFTA EEA countries to the EU are subject to tariffs. Our proposal would, therefore, give Scotland greater opportunity to develop and administer Scottish specific agricultural and fisheries policies. We set out in Chapter Four our expectation that responsibility for these policies will remain fully devolved to Scotland following the UK's exit from the EU, providing the Scottish Government with much more direct policy-making tools to ensure outcomes appropriate to our needs in these two critical sectors. In particular, we are clear that under this option we would not remain within the Common Fisheries Policy. However, one of the challenges of this differentiated option is the potential application of tariffs to agricultural and fisheries products; and to mitigate this, in the first instance, we would press the UK Government to negotiate for tariff-free access to the European Single Market for those products.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  19. #1998
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is an extract from "Scotland's place in Europe", and it details that we wouldn't be in the CFP. It may have been lost in the brexit fog of the last year or so.

    127. Fisheries and agriculture - EFTA EEA countries are not within the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) or the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) and most agricultural and fish products traded from EFTA EEA countries to the EU are subject to tariffs. Our proposal would, therefore, give Scotland greater opportunity to develop and administer Scottish specific agricultural and fisheries policies. We set out in Chapter Four our expectation that responsibility for these policies will remain fully devolved to Scotland following the UK's exit from the EU, providing the Scottish Government with much more direct policy-making tools to ensure outcomes appropriate to our needs in these two critical sectors. In particular, we are clear that under this option we would not remain within the Common Fisheries Policy. However, one of the challenges of this differentiated option is the potential application of tariffs to agricultural and fisheries products; and to mitigate this, in the first instance, we would press the UK Government to negotiate for tariff-free access to the European Single Market for those products.
    This'll be part o' thi 'Bonanza of Powers' 'promised' by Fluffy and the 13 earbenders then, eh? Where's that JC JPG? Better together Ya c****!


  20. #2000
    So that's the continuity bills passed overwhelmingly in both the Scottish and Welsh parliaments, can you guess which party voted against?

    Could be interesting to see where this goes. Will the UK government challenge this and what are the ramifications for devolution?

  21. #2001
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. Absolutely ridiculous way to behave.
    Mon the Hibs.

  22. #2002
    Brexit means Brexit

  23. #2003
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    12,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brexit means Brexit
    What does brexit mean though?

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  24. #2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What does brexit mean though?
    Brexit.

  25. #2005
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    12,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brexit.
    I thought you might say that. There will be lots of trading done before we leave the EU, so at this stage brexit is just a word. No one knows what it will mean for them and their chosen profession.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  26. #2006
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,518
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought you might say that. There will be lots of trading done before we leave the EU, so at this stage brexit is just a word. No one knows what it will mean for them and their chosen profession.
    A made-up word at that. A made-up word that means a made-up word. Isn't it obvious??

    Throw some more food in to the rivers, that will get things to a satisfactory conclusion.
    Mon the Hibs.

  27. #2007
    Testimonial Due Geo_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my Joy Division Oven Gloves
    Posts
    4,087
    Brexit means Blue Passports (Made in France).

  28. #2008
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brexit means Blue Passports (Made in France).
    I wonder if weíll have to pay import duty on them 😉

  29. #2009
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    12,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brexit means Blue Passports (Made in France).
    Aye but they are saving £100m and creating 70 jobs.

    Now the cynic in me says that not changing them would save £450m.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  30. #2010
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,791
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought you might say that. There will be lots of trading done before we leave the EU, so at this stage brexit is just a word. No one knows what it will mean for them and their chosen profession.
    Exactly. I wish it wasnít happening but as with every change there will be winners and losers.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved