hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wearing Hibs colours in Glasgow

I live in Glasgow, in a heavily populated Sevco area. I wear my Hibs strip with pride often especially when being dragged to the shops. Recently Mrs Iceman is starting to voice her concerns around the fact it might not be the best idea given what has went on in the last few months clearly I'm not going to mouth off and sing the 'Stokesys on fire' song (in their face, anyway) but has anyone else had similar concerns from their loved ones?

At Easter Road we play...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Got to say I can understand your wife's concern. Anything in green is liable to be the subject of Hun anger.

First Team Regular Highland_Hibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Amusing Munch PSN ID: Amusing_Munch
    Lucky for me up here folk are much more passive in general so I have no fears to display my team colours. I would however be a little more wary around certain Glasgow neighborhoods. Like a red rag to a bull the green and white.....

Dont be rediculous. No different to any other city in the UK on a non match day.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    The day of the Hands off Hibs rally at ER was the same date of The Stone Roses playing at Glasgow Green. I headed over and wore my HoH tshirt and met no animosity - even sailed past security without a pat down.

I have kids and work in Glasgow but live in Edinburgh. By and large I find the weedgie warm and welcoming compared with some more uptight Edinburghers workplaces I've known (most my time has been spent down south). It's just a gut feel but wouldn't be happy moving my kids through to Glasgow because of the "baggage" - it perhaps cost me a decent role through there'. One of the most bigoted folks I've met in my time I met the first role I had out there. A real dinosaur and not worth bringing to task (simply for the reason nothing would have got done). With folks like that roaming about and the propensity to allow orange walks and classify stuff as "banter" I'd not have my kids draw attention to themselves. But each to their own...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

First Team Breakthrough
    I'm from Edinburgh but live in Glasgow and my wee boy (7) wears his Hibs strip with pride when out and about and so far never a bother, though we do live in Bearsden so might be a slightly different response if he walked the streets of Govan with his strip on. Have to say that after the cup final win there is a wee spring in both our steps when out and about when he has his strip on. He is currently going to a school holiday football summer camp thing and obviously he is the only boy who pitches is with his Hibs strip. Never had any bother.
    Last edited by TheSouthMoroccan; 09-07-2016 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine&Caviar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dont be rediculous. No different to any other city in the UK on a non match day.
    Must admit I've only been in Glasgow on a non-match day a handful of times, but I found it quite striking how few people I saw wearing replica shirts, certainly in comparison in somewhere like Manchester.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    If you say it is because you are interested and passionate about football and your team they will be utterly confused.

I was speaking to a Celtic fan the other day from Glasgow about wearing "colours" and it was as bizarre a conversation as I have had in a long time. According to him - wearing blue (not a football top) could get you in trouble in certain areas while wearing green could get you in trouble and then he said that if you wore a Barcelona top, Argentina top etc then this was representing catholic nations to some knuckle draggers and could get you in trouble as was wearing a Holland top as it is perceived as being protestant (and is of course Orange). Then there were colour of clothes that might represent the colours of an away strip from either of the ugly sisters (past or present)! So if that is the mentality of some idiots then you are more courageous than me! On a sidenote in Govan Road there are quite a few Celtic boozers surprisingly with Govan Arms, Richards and one nearby called the Tall Cranes having, apparently, the most amount of stabbings for any pub in Glasgow - once again reinforcing why it is so good to be an Edinburgher and a Hibee!
    Last edited by Edinburgher; 08-07-2016 at 07:53 PM.

Wouldn't do it personally. Not worth the worry
    Glasgow cannae handle its football. On that front it's like a fourteen year old on white lightning
    Last edited by Glory Lurker; 08-07-2016 at 08:09 PM.

I work in Glasgow 2 days a week, some of the stuff that gets said about the place is complete tosh.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman1875 View Post
    I live in Glasgow, in a heavily populated Sevco area. I wear my Hibs strip with pride often especially when being dragged to the shops. Recently Mrs Iceman is starting to voice her concerns around the fact it might not be the best idea given what has went on in the last few months clearly I'm not going to mouth off and sing the 'Stokesys on fire' song (in their face, anyway) but has anyone else had similar concerns from their loved ones?

Not worth the risk Craig. Save it for your home town.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GlasMatt PSN ID: mrxblaikiex
    I've been wearing my Hibs tops/merchandise with pride in Glasgow for years and I've never had any issues, and I live within 2/3 miles of ibrox! but then again my home tops a XXL .... So I might not look worth trying to wind up Or start a fight with!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Wouldn't do it personally. Not worth the worry
    Glasgow cannae handle its football. On that front it's like a fourteen year old on white lightning
    Used to travel to Bishopbiggs to meet up with my g/f ( she has now moved thru here). Went out Sunday am wearing my Hibs colours after cup final. Few dirty looks and few thumbs up. But we won the Cup & could not give a toss wot they thou. GGTTH

@hibs.net private member
    Wore my hibs top in Ayrshire, had no problems. Had no problems in the last when I've been to Glasgow and wore it.

Grew up in Ayr and now live in Renfrew, home of Andy Haliday and just along the road from Ibrox itself. Total hun toon! Usually only wear my Hibs top on a match day but always wear Hibs tops with pride and screw the lot of them. No had any bother, just lots of funny looks!

@hibs.net private member Lang Toun Hibs's Avatar
    I've bumped into a few here in Lanzarote with my #perservered t shirt on...I smile knowingly but then spoil it all by laughing at them!

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine&Caviar View Post
    I work in Glasgow 2 days a week, some of the stuff that gets said about the place is complete tosh.
    I love Glasgow. Think it's a great city and most people are friendly and welcoming, perhaps more so than in Edinburgh but it is true that you have to be wary of wearing colours and people have been stabbed and assaulted for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't think it's being insulting to suggest that's the case

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Anyone not a bit overweight, adorned in non garish sportswear and sporting a full head of hair will always suggest you are not of Hun persuasion. The wearing or not wearing of Hibs shirts is immaterial really.

Testimonial Due
    I wear mine in Armadale no hassle whatsoever Don't get precious about this sort of thing

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    I was speaking to a Celtic fan the other day from Glasgow about wearing "colours" and it was as bizarre a conversation as I have had in a long time. According to him - wearing blue (not a football top) could get you in trouble in certain areas while wearing green could get you in trouble and then he said that if you wore a Barcelona top, Argentina top etc then this was representing catholic nations to some knuckle draggers and could get you in trouble as was wearing a Holland top as it is perceived as being protestant (and is of course Orange). Then there were colour of clothes that might represent the colours of an away strip from either of the ugly sisters (past or present)! So if that is the mentality of some idiots then you are more courageous than me! On a sidenote in Govan Road there are quite a few Celtic boozers surprisingly with Govan Arms, Richards and one nearby called the Tall Cranes having, apparently, the most amount of stabbings for any pub in Glasgow - once again reinforcing why it is so good to be an Edinburgher and a Hibee!
    Your Celtic supporting acquaintance is talking considerable garbage but I suppose you've gathered that. Outside of the match-day (obviously), Glasgow is as cosmopolitan a city as any.

And Govan has always had a strong Irish community. St Anthonys Juniors FC played their games for a long time yards from Ibrox in full Celtic kit. Some links with us as well, Jimmy Dunn played for them. More on them here. And they credit the 'first hoops' ....
    http://www.antshistory.moonfruit.com

The 'Catholic Club' in front of where they played at the time in question was a welcome refuge for Hibbies in need of sustenance before facing 90 mins of subjugation. Big iron door with a "Speakeasy" type hatch right enough, but a welcome stopping point for me and many others through the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Not worth the risk Craig. Save it for your home town.
    Cheers John

Nearly always wear Hibs colours when out playing 5s during the week and apart from a few long stares never had an issues.

My missus though refused to let me leave the house the Monday after the cup final in my Hibs top fearing for my safety! Lol.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Wore my a hibs top going to ibrox a few years ago and never had issues.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

First Team Breakthrough DirtyDeeds's Avatar
    I wear a jersey or my Persevered tshirt regularly in the 5s league im part of in Shawlands. Been a few later tackles since Grail Day from those of a Hun persuasion, but nothing more. You'll find bother if you seek it.

I wouldn't wear a Hibs shirt anywhere West of Harthill. At my age one punch could kill me.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunning Hibs View Post
    I've bumped into a few here in Lanzarote with my #perservered t shirt on...I smile knowingly but then spoil it all by laughing at them!
    11 of us went into the Bluebells bar yesterday and asked them if they would put the cup final on...her reply, which one lol.

Left by mutual consent!
    Live in Glasgow had my Hibsed it top on plenty of times.

No worries but if folk do not like then get it right up ye.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I live just outside of Glasgow (East Kilbride) and used to wear my tops often, usually for running. Not so much anymore as I don't trust certain elements of other teams support, predominantly Rangers fans. There's definitely been a tangible turn in the atmosphere between the supporters groups. They used to have their knuckle draggers, like any club, though much more than most, however the last few years the "everyone hates us we don't care" attitude has definitely grown, even amongst more sensible Rangers fans I know. The cup final has not helped as it's vindicated their (in my opinion erroneous) belief that they are victims. Some of the stuff I see online via Facebook, etc, being shared by Rangers fans I know and call friends make me very sad indeed.

To actually answer your question, I'd be a bit careful if I was you about where and when you wear it, you never know when you'll come across a bampot who thinks their standing up for their club when actually what they are doing is just assaulting you (verbally or physically).

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I'm not sure Id wear a Hibs strip to go shopping full stop to be honest never mind Glasgow.