hibs.net Messageboard

The Open tickets

Myself and a mate are looking at getting down to Troon for the final day of the Open next month. Neither of us have even been to a tournament before Not really sure what the script is. I had a look on their website and from what I gather there are tickets available for the Sunday, although in honesty I'm not entirely sure!

If someone can point me in the right direction that would be grand, also we would probably be driving down. I'm guessing there will be parking there and the area around, but would it just be worthwhile Parking further away from the course and surrounding area?

Cheers

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Dom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Myself and a mate are looking at getting down to Troon for the final day of the Open next month. Neither of us have even been to a tournament before Not really sure what the script is. I had a look on their website and from what I gather there are tickets available for the Sunday, although in honesty I'm not entirely sure!

If someone can point me in the right direction that would be grand, also we would probably be driving down. I'm guessing there will be parking there and the area around, but would it just be worthwhile Parking further away from the course and surrounding area?

Cheers
    You'll be able to pay on the day no bother. As for car parking then park and ride facilities will be available. A fleet of buses will take you from the designated car parking facilities to the course itself. From my experience, I'd say that the system works ok.Catering on the course tends to be expensive so I suggest you bring your own.

Buying tickets for the Open isn't anymore confusing than buying tickets for any other event. Decide which day(s) you want to go and buy "Daily Admission" tickets. You can save £5 if you pay with a MasterCard in advance so don't wait to buy tickets on the day.

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/The-Op...s/artist/27841

The area around the course is controlled and you are not going to find parking unless you are willing to hike a lot. Just pay to park in the official lots. You can pay for parking when you buy your tickets.

So if you want to go on a Sunday, this is what you want.
    http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/the-op...004EC4B5088575
    http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/the-op...004EC4CD899005

The Open is one of, if not the, largest events this country hosts on an annual basis. The people have their logistics down.

Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    Buying tickets for the Open isn't anymore confusing than buying tickets for any other event. Decide which day(s) you want to go and buy "Daily Admission" tickets. You can save £5 if you pay with a MasterCard in advance so don't wait to buy tickets on the day.

The area around the course is controlled and you are not going to find parking unless you are willing to hike a lot. Just pay to park in the official lots. You can pay for parking when you buy your tickets.

The Open is one of, if not the, largest events this country hosts on an annual basis. The people have their logistics down.
    Me being me, I prefer to wait and see what the weather will bring then choose to pay on the day accordingly!

Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post

Thanks guys!

Looking forward to it, shame I won't get to see Tiger but that's my own fault! Should have went when it was a stones throw away in East Lothian.

Make sure you are prepared. I went to the Scottish Open last year in Gullane. It was hammering down with rain then by the afternoon I got burnt. I would take sun cream and of course a waterproof. I also took a rucksack full of water and rolls. Paying £8 for a burger is not up my street.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    If you are into your golf I really wouldn't recommend going to the final day. I quite enjoy going to watch the gold but being honest you see very little. Doesn't matter to much over the other days but you want to see all the action on the final day and that is where Sky Sports really comes through.

When you are there, trying to follow the big names is a nightmare, normally good to get yourself into a decent grandstand out on the course which you get a view over a few holes. Mind you the number of times I have been to these events and hardly left the tented village because it was better sitting watching it on the big screen with a pint!

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    If you are into your golf I really wouldn't recommend going to the final day. I quite enjoy going to watch the gold but being honest you see very little. Doesn't matter to much over the other days but you want to see all the action on the final day and that is where Sky Sports really comes through.

When you are there, trying to follow the big names is a nightmare, normally good to get yourself into a decent grandstand out on the course which you get a view over a few holes. Mind you the number of times I have been to these events and hardly left the tented village because it was better sitting watching it on the big screen with a pint!
    I've been to 2 Troon opens and seen plenty. You do see more on the telly of course but nothing beats the atmosphere of being there and getting up close to golfers you've idolised

The bigger problem in the past has been the escalating ticket prices. Has anything been done about that yet?

Just checked £80.....mmmmmm
    Last edited by BroxburnHibee; 21-06-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    I've been to 2 Troon opens and seen plenty. You do see more on the telly of course but nothing beats the atmosphere of being there and getting up close to golfers you've idolised

The bigger problem in the past has been the escalating ticket prices. Has anything been done about that yet?

They are significantly cheaper if you bought them a couple weeks ago. The Tuesday and Wednesday practice days are also good value if you are going for 2 or 3 days.

If you are taking kids it also evens out. I think they are free up to age 16.

Exactly.

For all you could be on the course for more than 12 hours and see the worlds best golfers in action there is a limit to what I'd be prepared to pay and £80 is making me think twice.

It puts the monthly subscription to Sky Sports into perspective and I'm sure they will make a great job of covering the Tournament.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar

I find that with every sport I like watching and just have to be there if at all possible.

@hibs.net private member derekHFC's Avatar
    As said, if you're there from 7am to 7pm, its worth the £80.

If going to these gigs, I usually use the golf link train and bus service. Its cheap, drops you off at the course and you can have a peeve as well without worrying about getting home again.

Definitely agree that you should take food with you and loads to drink as well. There is stuff on site, but its a rip off and not value for money. We usually take a packed lunch and water.

Light rain jacket and sun cream is a must and maybe a small pair of binoculars if you have them as they help big time.

Plank yourself in a stand somewhere and sit and watch 6-7 groups coming through. That's about an hour and a half of your day, but at least you get to see some top golfers without having to put folk in a boston crab to get a decent space in the galleries

Oh and wear comfortable footwear! Trainers is the norm for me if its dry.
    Someone once told me that hard work wouldn't kill me.

I thought: "Hell, why take the chance"!

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by derekHFC View Post
    As said, if you're there from 7am to 7pm, its worth the £80.

If going to these gigs, I usually use the golf link train and bus service. Its cheap, drops you off at the course and you can have a peeve as well without worrying about getting home again.

Definitely agree that you should take food with you and loads to drink as well. There is stuff on site, but its a rip off and not value for money. We usually take a packed lunch and water.

Light rain jacket and sun cream is a must and maybe a small pair of binoculars if you have them as they help big time.

Plank yourself in a stand somewhere and sit and watch 6-7 groups coming through. That's about an hour and a half of your day, but at least you get to see some top golfers without having to put folk in a boston crab to get a decent space in the galleries

Oh and wear comfortable footwear! Trainers is the norm for me if its dry.
    Agree. I've never really got this thing with spectators dressing as though they are playing golf.....ie wearing golf shoes. It's just walking on grass after all!

If you are not bothered about what day you go and just want to see the golfers the practice days are always worthwhile. Cheap to get in, very small crowds can get about seeing a lot of different groups and you even get some of the players interacting with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    If you are not bothered about what day you go and just want to see the golfers the practice days are always worthwhile. Cheap to get in, very small crowds can get about seeing a lot of different groups and you even get some of the players interacting with you.

And I'd say that Tuesday is the best day to go.

I've found that come the Wednesday afternoon the course can be very quiet as many of the players have by that time completed their preparation and are resting up prior to the start of the Tournament.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    £80 is to much, for me and my son plus petrol and that's £200, then what you spend when you are there, parking, your looking at £250, no chance for me and the lad.

I paid the cash for St Andrews last year (which is one of the poorer ones for viewing by all accounts). It was a good day, despite the rain delaying the start.

I enjoy these type of things. I bought my Dad a ticket for his 2014 Christmas. By the time I paid that and for my own, the trains and had a few beers and a bite to eat it was probably a couple of hundred quid and wee bit more.

Would do it again too.

Wear walking shoes with good grip. The grassy slopes can be treacherously slippery. Golf shoes would be ideal!

Today looks the best day weather wise. Even the chance of a free ticket couldn't entice me away from my home hospitality chair in front of the box. Getting auld I guess!

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Looks like the front 9 is there to attack this morning.

Players need to grab their chance.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Come on the Beef!!

At Easter Road we play...

This is incredible viewing today, don't think I have ever seen anything like this. These two have turned this into a matchplay shootout.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    The best ever Open Championship IMO. Wow.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Almost beyond belief. And if he had holed his makeable putt on the 17th he would have had the lowest ever Open round.

Fantastic viewing. I doubt if we'll ever witness another head to head battle like that again.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    1977 = the Duel in the Sun
    2016 = the Duel in the Cool
    😀

@hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    Stunning golf - for Phil to shoot a 63 and then a 65 in the final round and still not win shows how good Stenson was

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman1875 View Post
    Come on the Beef!!
    I hope you asked the waiter to change it! :-)

What an amazing final pair!

every other golfer seemed to be having some moments of struggle, even for a few holes. Not these 2, they were playing a different course.

i was incredibly impressed that both of them kept playing so aggressively, never laying up or looking to play par golf, even when they left themselves tough shots they were so positive.