hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar

Travelex Supercard

Travelex who do foreign currency and various other travel/money transactions had a debit for foreign travel on trial for the past year. I have heard good, bad and indifferent comments regarding the years trial.

The trial has now finished and going on general release. Has anybody used the card during the trial and if so any problems.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

2. Log in to remove the advert

'S' Form
    I got one in the trial. I was only abroad once in the year of the trial and encountered no issues with it.

I have applied today for a new card in the general release, its a no brainer to get better exchange rates for holiday cash without the fees that come with normal bank cards.

Quote Originally Posted by MJU1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got one in the trial. I was only abroad once in the year of the trial and encountered no issues with it.

I have applied today for a new card in the general release, its a no brainer to get better exchange rates for holiday cash without the fees that come with normal bank cards.
    Just noticed this come on twitter.

Supercard ‏@SupercardUK 23m23 minutes ago
    To cover the costs of making #Supercard widely available, there is a 2.99% fee for ATM withdrawals http://bit.ly/1Ul8Koa
    TOP CASH BACK

'S' Form
    Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post

To cover the costs of making #Supercard widely available, there is a 2.99% fee for ATM withdrawals http://bit.ly/1Ul8Koa
    I didn't notice that when I re-applied for this card. I knew there would be a catch.

I already have a Halifax Clarity credit which was the best of the rest for overseas spending, I don't think the Supercard is now any better than that with its charges introduced for ATM withdrawals.

Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post

That's outrageous even if their exchange rates are competitive.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    I had the card during the trial and used it in Florida in October, it was great, very few issues with it at all and i could link multiple cards to the account and just swap it over on the app when i wanted money to come from my bank account or credit card.

Just got the email today about signing up for the new full card and i see they introduced a 2.99% charge for cash withdrawals which is a pain the backside as there was quite a few times i withdrew cash using it and that charge pretty much cancels out the benefit of the better exchange rate on the card.

Try FairFX cards. I've used one in Europe and with low atm charge and a great exchange rate it's the business.

I fancied it when it came out but missed out on the trial. I clicked to sign up for the new one but shortly after, i noticed the 2.99% charge for ATM withdrawals, which now put's me off a bit.
    TOP CASH BACK

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Try FairFX cards. I've used one in Europe and with low atm charge and a great exchange rate it's the business.
    That's the one I use in Europe, still a charge to withdraw cash but always take cash for somethings but use the card for shop, bar restaurants etc.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    I use FairFX and Caxton for both $ and €. FairFX usually has a better load rate, Caxton don't charge for ATM withdrawals although foreign banks will usually apply their own charge regardless of which card us used.
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    If you use it enough it may be worth looking at a Norwich & Peterborough current account. Great debit card for use abroad.