hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh dear, and you were doing so well too.
    I wish I could claim dyslexia as well, but really spelling is just not my thing

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    All malt whisky, with the exception of single cask, is blended anyway.

A distillery doesn't open a cask on the exact date it was filled 10, 15 or 20 years later. They take a range of casks and blend them to achieve a consistency of flavour. Single malt simply refers to the fact a whisky is made from malted barley at a single distillery and the age statement refers to the youngest whisky used.

Re people getting sniffy about blends. Not something I understand really. There are many good blends out there and, increasingly in recent years, a lot of crap malts.
    Monkeys shoulder being one of my favourite whiskies, but I was just highlighting the struggle of trying to run something like a whisky night when people don't want to hear what's being said. Drive me nuts and cause the place was a hotel bar you've to be extra nice to customers which ig I'm brutally honest after working in the trade for over 15 years gets a bit tiresome.

I've stayed on Islay quite a few times now and despite it being my favourite island I'm not a big fan of the heavy peat and smoke. Laphroaig in particular I avoid, I just get the smell and taste of antiseptic from it. This year we went to Bruichladdich distillery and got talking to the guy about heavy peat. He brought out the Octomore, which he claimed as the most heavily peated malt in existence if you measure by parts per thousand (or somesuch dodgy chemical science). I wasn't optimistic but it was stupendous, I can't even put into words how good it was, massive complex flavours. I believe it was 125 or thereabouts but id happily buy a dram or two if I found it in a bar somewhere.

All of which goes to show that the great thing about whisky is it always has the ability to surprise you

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I've stayed on Islay quite a few times now and despite it being my favourite island I'm not a big fan of the heavy peat and smoke. Laphroaig in particular I avoid, I just get the smell and taste of antiseptic from it. This year we went to Bruichladdich distillery and got talking to the guy about heavy peat. He brought out the Octomore, which he claimed as the most heavily peated malt in existence if you measure by parts per thousand (or somesuch dodgy chemical science). I wasn't optimistic but it was stupendous, I can't even put into words how good it was, massive complex flavours. I believe it was 125 or thereabouts but id happily buy a dram or two if I found it in a bar somewhere.

All of which goes to show that the great thing about whisky is it always has the ability to surprise you
    That price did for a start, HB.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    That price did for a start, HB.
    Just to clarify, it was that price for a bottle, not a nip

Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    The snobbery that surrounds malts is the thing that does my nut in. When I first moved to Sweden I did whisky tasting nights in a Hotel and one month I did some blended whiskies, had tons of people telling me it wasn't proper whisky. The funny thing is ask any distiller in the world and they'll tell you that making a blend is a far more difficult process than making a malt. It's the nature of the beast if the blend doesn't taste how it has done for the last forty years, then the old boy down the pub who has drunk the same whisky for thirty years will taste it straight away, with a malt there is a little more leeway.
    Agree with this. The snobbery comes from folk who have limited knowledge of whisky IMO.

Some of the blends are amazing. Great King Street is one of my favourites ( esp. Artists Blend). Cutty Sark is very good but not so easy to find.

@hibs.net proletariat member Pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    As I said in previous post I really liked the sherry edition of Benriach I was drinking, so will look out for that!

I've become a very much 'as it comes' man with the whisky though. Only ever used to put ice in it (Macallan's with a block of ice back when I was 'forced' to have a whisky!) but recently it's always been neat for me.

Do appreciate it's 'meant' to change depending on what whisky you drink though.

Agree on the no mixer part though (although lemonade and whisky was the first night I actually "liked" whisky.. drank that many that I enjoyed it by the end )
    I was in Asda today looking for Islay miniatures to have a wee tasting session with as I've only ever tried about one or two of them. Coincidently, I saw a bottle of Bowmore sherry cask for 15 and decided to get that instead...nothing to lose for that price.

Also, on the subject of quality blends, they were selling one called Tasgall and it came in 25 and 30 year variants, priced at 20 and 25 respectively. Ive never heard of it before and the complexities will probably be lost on a beginner such as myself but it might be of use to someone. Awful cheap for whisky that age.

BTW you can get whisky on Amazon. This helps if some bottles are a little hard to come by (I've bought Cutty Sark - great in a club soda high ball - and Clynelish 14yo - my favourite malt).

Another good online source in Whisky Exchange.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/

If you're ever down in the Big Smoke they have a fantastic shop near Charing Cross with a hreat range of Scottish and world whiskies. Waitrose are good for Japanese but seldom have Kukubin which is the absolute best and my favourite blend of all. Its my go to drink with an ice cold club soda!! ****** lovely. .

The Guildford regularly has a bottle of Octomore behind the bar. About 6.50 a nip iirc.

Think both Whiski and Whiski Rooms have it as well but they are aimed at tourists and the prices reflect that.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The Guildford regularly has a bottle of Octomore behind the bar. About 6.50 a nip iirc.

Think both Whiski and Whiski Rooms have it as well but they are aimed at tourists and the prices reflect that.
    Nice one. I'm out with a few whisky loving jakeballs tonight so I might end up there.

@hibs.net private member Captain Trips's Avatar
    Brand new boxed Royal Salute Green flagon 70cl comes in velvet bag 80. Let me know if interested.

I'll give that a go!!

Laphroaig is a bit medicinal in its smokey flavour. Ardbeg is technically more smokey but doesn't task quite so much of iodine!!

Some of the peated SMWS bottles are well worth a try - nice on a cold winters evening round the fire (or the radiator in the case of the London venue)!

Italian whisky.

Very stylish building!

http://www.puni.com/#/

My wife took me to the Deanston distillery just outside Doune a few days ago as a second wedding anniversary present (it's in an old cotton mill). Well worth the trip up from Edinburgh, its and excellent tour and there's a nice wee cafe there for some lunch. The 12yr is good but I preferred the Virgin Oak which is very reasonable at about 39 a bottle. The tasting also includes the 18yr which is also alright and quite different to the 12.

Anyone had SMWS blended that's just been brought out?