hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 181 to 199 of 199
  1. #181
    @hibs.net private member TRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smedjebacken (Sweden)
    Posts
    1,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got a bottle of the Swedish whiskey Mackmyra on a recommendation.

    Needs a bit of dilution but quite sherbetty taste and quite pleasant.
    Did you like it? I've been to the distillery a couple of time. Some decent stuff but if it's their standard bottling I wasn't a fan thought it was far to rough.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #182
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    9,526
    In the news today - Aldi home brand whisky voted the best in the world! Highland Black RRP 12.99.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  4. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the news today - Aldi home brand whisky voted the best in the world! Highland Black RRP 12.99.
    Both Aldi and Lidl have a couple of excellent whiskies.

    One of the Lidl ones was a Caol Ila a couple of years ago and it was superb. The Aldi Glen Marnoch which also won an award is also a Caol Ila.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  5. #184
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,973
    Stuart, I'm having my first dram out of that Lagavulin.

    Sensational.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  6. #185
    Testimonial Due ACLeith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,250
    A friend brought me back 2 bottles from Islay, Lagavulin Distillers edition and the same from Caol Ila. She brought others as well so organising a big get together for opening them all. Getting more tempting to try them now though as each week goes by!

    Anyone tried either of them?

  7. #186
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,973
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A friend brought me back 2 bottles from Islay, Lagavulin Distillers edition and the same from Caol Ila. She brought others as well so organising a big get together for opening them all. Getting more tempting to try them now though as each week goes by!

    Anyone tried either of them?
    It's the Lagavulin I mentioned in the above post.

    Lovely.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  8. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stuart, I'm having my first dram out of that Lagavulin.

    Sensational.
    It really is a beauty. Glad you enjoyed it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  9. #188
    Testimonial Due ACLeith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's the Lagavulin I mentioned in the above post.

    Lovely.
    Thanks PB. Even more tempting now to open it!

  10. #189
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,973
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks PB. Even more tempting now to open it!
    I'm not PB 😁
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  11. #190
    Testimonial Due ACLeith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not PB 😁
    Oops! Can't even use the excuse that I've had too many drams! Just old age 😱

  12. #191
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,973
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oops! Can't even use the excuse that I've had too many drams! Just old age 😱


    PB deserves credit too. He found it in Islay and brought it back for me.

    Beware! I didn't open mine for weeks, but now I can't wait for my next dram.


  13. #192
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,780
    Is anyone going to the Whisky fringe this year?

    I'm going on Friday and just got the programme - there are some rather good, and expensive, whiskies on offer. I'm going to have a better study of the programme tonight so that I have a decent idea of what I'm wanting to try when there rather than going in blind and grabbing the first ones I see! If anyone has any recommendations then let me know!

    https://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/me..._programme.pdf
    Mon the Hibs.

  14. #193
    @hibs.net private member Rattler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    373
    Not going to manage to get to the Whisky Fringe this year (as I forgot to get tickets!!) but have been along almost since it started...

    If it were me, I'd be tempted with Stall 8 - Hunter Laing - and Stall 14 - Adelphi.

    Would also pay a visit to Kilchoman, but seeing as I was over there at the distillery just 3 months ago and had a particular enjoyable tasting event at the time, maybe wouldn't be worthwhile.

    I note that the programme still mentions sampling 6 drams maximum - not for me! can easily get a good couple of dozen in for the time that you're there, and then go back for seconds!!

  15. #194
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not going to manage to get to the Whisky Fringe this year (as I forgot to get tickets!!) but have been along almost since it started...

    If it were me, I'd be tempted with Stall 8 - Hunter Laing - and Stall 14 - Adelphi.

    Would also pay a visit to Kilchoman, but seeing as I was over there at the distillery just 3 months ago and had a particular enjoyable tasting event at the time, maybe wouldn't be worthwhile.

    I note that the programme still mentions sampling 6 drams maximum - not for me! can easily get a good couple of dozen in for the time that you're there, and then go back for seconds!!
    I'll have a look at them!

    I went through the programme and found the brands that I liked and highlighted the more expensive versions of them to try - maybe that's a waste of time though and I should be trying new things (which your stall suggestions would mostly be!).

    I was also going to roughly categorise them from smooth to smokey and work up the scale for fear of some early smokey ones overpowering the later drams - not sure if that's stupid though!

    I noticed that about the 6 drams too. I wasn't sure if you would even get full measures when you taste, so I was certainly planning on going way over that suggestion.
    Mon the Hibs.

  16. #195
    @hibs.net private member Rattler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    373
    You most definitely DON'T get full measures. Most of the bottles have the clear plastic dispenser fitted to the top of them, although not all - just depends on what the supplier/company that is operating that particular stall wants to do. Could be wrong, but seem to think it's around 10ml - very small indeed!

    There are various ways of working the Whisky Fringe...

    If you've never been before then all the stall are generally set around the outside of the hall, in numerical order. Like you say, a lot of people know what they are after and head straight there. There's plenty of time to sample everything that you intend to. People will hog space at particular stalls, but take your time and space will appear - either that or just force your way through!

    If you're not sure what you're after then it's a good idea to start with the lighter stuff, working your way through to the really heavily peated stuff.

    Either that or concentrate on the stuff that you wouldn't normally buy or wouldn't consider due to the cost.

    Don't be ashamed to try some of the grain whisky either - often very good and you'd be struggling to notice the difference ( I couldn't anyway).

    Great way to spend an afternoon!!

  17. #196
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,780
    Whisky fringe was great!

    Everyone very happy to tell you about their history and what they recommend. Was brilliant.

    No idea why they suggest trying 6 though, I managed to enjoy 32.
    Mon the Hibs.

  18. #197
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,780
    32 was mistakes
    Mon the Hibs.

  19. #198
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,786
    Up in Auld Reekie for the festival at the weekend so I thought I’d treat myself at Cadenhead. Got a 16yo Glen Spey single cask.

    Frankly, it’s like industrial grade ethanol. I bought some of their standard 12yo as a comparison and its much better - also doesn’t need 2:1 water to be able to drink it.

    Lesson learned. Single cask is strong but not as complex as the blend that the distilleries put together.

  20. #199
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,786
    Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you like it? I've been to the distillery a couple of time. Some decent stuff but if it's their standard bottling I wasn't a fan thought it was far to rough.
    Yeh, it was nice stuff.

    I see a London whisky is due to launch soon. First in 145years!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved