hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Scotch Malt Whisky Society

Anyone a member? Is it worth the money.

I'm in London but in Edinburgh quite a bit on business these days. So I'd use the venues down south much more but not exclusively.

Interesting selection of single cask on their shop but doesn't say which distilleries.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone a member? Is it worth the money.

I'm in London but in Edinburgh quite a bit on business these days. So I'd use the venues down south much more but not exclusively.

Interesting selection of single cask on their shop but doesn't say which distilleries.
    None of the whiskies on sale at the society officially tell you what distillery they come from. They are all identifiable by a code number, of course in the modern day a quick google will get you a list of what number relates to what distillery.

I had a joint membership with a couple of guys on here for a while and then had my own the last couple of years. Worth the money imo, some of the events are very good.

How much is it? My wife took me whiskey tasting there a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Not sure I'd use it often enough to merit a membership but it's a good place.

Quote Originally Posted by Holmesdale Hibs View Post
    How much is it? My wife took me whiskey tasting there a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Not sure I'd use it often enough to merit a membership but it's a good place.
    It's 122 a year.

Cheaper than the Caledonian Club which would ever have me as a member anyway!!

One of my previous employers had corporate membership. We had 4 cards and you got 4 people in on each one. Tbh though, I don't remember ever being asked to show them so you could probably blag your way in for an introductory visit. The Leith place is great, especially in the winter in front of a roaring fire. I wasn't so keen on Queen St. The descriptions on the whisky menu will usually give you a good clue as to what you're drinking but if you don't get it, the bar staff will tell you. The food is pretty good too.

They are in the process of selling queen Street just now or may have already don't quite know how it'll be after the refurbishment. Always a delight no phones for a long time which was amazing. Love the place used to go out with a few of the staff for a session on occasion as well all good guys and knew their stuff

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmesdale Hibs View Post
    Oh dear, bad start there, HH.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Oh dear, bad start there, HH.
    Oh dear, that's blasphemy. I'm feeling quite ashamed and will hold my hands up on that one and say that is must have been predictive txt.

Well,I signed up and have treated myself to this little number.

https://www.smws.com/fresh-as-a-winter-waterfall

Might get something with more fruit and body for the late evenings when I get my wee voucher.

Up in Edinburgh next week but I don't know if my card will be through in time.

How much is a dram in 28 Queen Street? Anyone remember?

Well,I signed up and have treated myself to this little number.

https://www.smws.com/fresh-as-a-winter-waterfall

Might get something with more fruit and body for the late evenings when I get my wee voucher.

Up in Edinburgh next week but I don't know if my card will be through in time.

How much is a dram in 28 Queen Street? Anyone remember?
    Anything from about 4 to 30.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!

Been a member for a while. I much prefer The Vaults to Queen Street, for the surroundings and atmosphere.

Food is good though menu could change more than it does and is not cheap. Oh and the descriptions of the whiskies are good for a laugh!

The description to go with the bottle is alot pretentious crap

Never understood the patter that goes along with wine and whisky tasting

It either tastes nice or it doesn't to me

Ireland's Greatest Import Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post

I've always taken the whisky society notes to be a tongue in cheek piss take of the patter you don't like... whilst still giving a bit of a comparative idea of what the particular dram is going to be like. I could easily be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    I've always taken the whisky society notes to be a tongue in cheek piss take of the patter you don't like... whilst still giving a bit of a comparative idea of what the particular dram is going to be like. I could easily be wrong though.
    Well if your right then it's a big whoosh moment for me

My point still stands though

It's worded from a marketing viewpoint.

'Has hints of freshly baked apple pie with lashings of custard and vanilla' reads better than 'might have a wee bit of an apple taste and the vanilla probably comes from the bourbon cask'.

It's all over descriptive nonsense of course but it's good fun imo. When I taste whisky I can pick out flavours that are blindingly obvious but there are others that I can't quite put my finger on and that's where I like the notes.

Nowt wrong with just thinking it tastes nice or otherwise either I would add.

Agree 100%. I recall one description that mentioned it being like a "whisky flavoured condom". I decided I wouldn't try that dram!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's worded from a marketing viewpoint.

'Has hints of freshly baked apple pie with lashings of custard and vanilla' reads better than 'might have a wee bit of an apple taste and the vanilla probably comes from the bourbon cask'.

It's all over descriptive nonsense of course but it's good fun imo. When I taste whisky I can pick out flavours that are blindingly obvious but there are others that I can't quite put my finger on and that's where I like the notes.

Nowt wrong with just thinking it tastes nice or otherwise either I would add.

Fair enough just feel some of it comes across as way ott

Each to their own I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    Agree 100%. I recall one description that mentioned it being like a "whisky flavoured condom". I decided I wouldn't try that dram!
    Hahaha strangest and funniest one I've heard

Very nice.Pricing seemed a bit random compared with the bottle price but good stuff.

Must try the London place next.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Was down at the Leith Society last night, amazing night great food and some fantastic nips.

Not s member but will be joining soon. I believe the one on Queen street is due to close for a refurbishment think I will join once that's reopened as likely to use it more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    Was down at the Leith Society last night, amazing night great food and some fantastic nips.

Not s member but will be joining soon. I believe the one on Queen street is due to close for a refurbishment think I will join once that's reopened as likely to use it more often.
    London members room very small, and can fill up quite early in the evening, but still worth a visit. The pub downstairs (the Bleeding Heart) used to carry some SMWS stock.

The staff in all the members rooms are really well clued up, and it's worth chatting to them if you're not sure what to try. They used to do an all-day tasting school at The Vaults in Leith, which is wroth looking out for if they are still running them

Just tried a spot of Abhain Dearg whilst on a stopover in Ullapool. This is a new distillery on the Isle of Lewis. Only a 3 year old malt at 46% but nice with burnt biscuit and lemon flavours and a little bit oily and salty .

Looks like a good one and a new island malt - the most westerly distillery in Scotland.

Hope SMWS will head up their and pickups decent cask for us all!!
    Last edited by Colr; 31-08-2016 at 09:17 PM.

How much is a skoosh of lemonade if the nips are 30 quid?

Just tried a spot of Abhain Dearg whilst on a stopover in Ullapool. This is a new distillery on the Isle of Lewis. Only a 3 year old malt at 46% but nice with burnt biscuit and lemon flavours and a little bit oily and salty .

Looks like a good one and a new island malt - the most westerly distillery in Scotland.

I tried their new make spirit and the 3 year old alongside each other and actually prefered the new make. I believe they had real cask problems early on though which could explain that.

It will be interesting to see what the 10 year old is like, due out in a couple of years. It's interesting they haven't released much between 3 and 10 years. Kilchoman had new releases out every year since they began distilling in 2005.

There's all kinds of distilleries popping up at the moment and it will be intriguing to see how they develop. IMO there has been a noticeable decline in quality over the last few years as demand has started to outstrip supply with increasingly young whisky hitting the shelves and corners being cut in the production.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

I've had a bottle of this in my cupboard for a while now and haven't opened it yet The reviews I read hadn't been good. Fingers crossed they last the course though, there are so many new smaller distilleries opening. Islay has at least one other new one planned.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I tried their new make spirit and the 3 year old alongside each other and actually prefered the new make. I believe they had real cask problems early on though which could explain that.

It will be interesting to see what the 10 year old is like, due out in a couple of years. It's interesting they haven't released much between 3 and 10 years. Kilchoman had new releases out every year since they began distilling in 2005.

There's all kinds of distilleries popping up at the moment and it will be intriguing to see how they develop. IMO there has been a noticeable decline in quality over the last few years as demand has started to outstrip supply with increasingly young whisky hitting the shelves and corners being cut in the production.
    Tried a Kilchoman tonight on Skye along with anCnoc 16. Latter was pretty good but is really Knockando. Kilchoman was fine but I'm only just getting into prayed whisky. Great to see these new whiskies available here.

Dors anyone elsr think thsy Laphroaig has changed for the worse in recent years?

It seems to have lost some of its pungency, but it could be my palate.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Dors anyone elsr think thsy Laphroaig has changed for the worse in recent years?

It seems to have lost some of its pungency, but it could be my palate.

Still affects your typing, you are slurring your words
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

My favourite of the whole trip was 21yo Speyburn but I also really liked Clynelish 14yo. Quite liked the Talisker, too.

@hibs.net private member
    My favourite of the whole trip was 21yo Speyburn but I also really liked Clynelish 14yo. Quite liked the Talisker, too.
    Talisker is the bees knees.