hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope, like me, you're joking.
    I obviously put a slice of lemon in

There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Open it and have it 50/50 with lemonade.

Neat or a dash of spring water. Nothing else. Promise
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Neat or a dash of spring water. Nothing else. Promise
    QED

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-ad...17-9?r=US&IR=T

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

Pepsi Max with an Aberlour
    Rye whiskey’s not bad with coke.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Rye whiskey’s not bad with coke.
    Coke in any drink just over powers it in my opinion.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibby; 27-02-2018 at 07:44 AM.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Don't like coke. It gets up my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Usually but rye cuts through the taste. I’ve had it with Dr Pepper as well and that’s OK.

Bullitt Rye is good with coke.

Bit off topic (maybe needs another thread) but red wine and coke is popular in the Basque country of Northern Spain.

Its called a kalimotxo. Quite refreshing in the heat.
    Last edited by Colr; 27-02-2018 at 09:50 AM.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I've made it a new year's resolution to get into whisky (I think I slightly missed the point of resolutions with this one - so a second to run a marathon was added), and it's interesting that you mention that myth of spayside for bigenners as that was the general advice I'd been getting.

I like the idea with the miniatures though and think I'll go for that approach. Thanks for the list of recommendations for each area!

I've done a couple distillery tours and found them very interesting, being able to really enjoy the tasting session at the end would be good.

Thanks!
    To update on the above new year's resolution - I got into whisky (and also ran a marathon).

I've got a wee collection of standard whiskies going (glenmorange, Talisker, Glenrothes, ardberg) but I'm on the hunt this year for a special occasion whisky. Something a cut above those that I wouldn't find in a lot of pubs etc.

I'd prefer the chance to sample it though before committing to a bottle.

Any suggestions from the .net experts?
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Open it and have it 50/50 with lemonade.

I'd use coke as it gives you a caffeine hit into the bargain.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

To update on the above new year's resolution - I got into whisky (and also ran a marathon).

I've got a wee collection of standard whiskies going (glenmorange, Talisker, Glenrothes, ardberg) but I'm on the hunt this year for a special occasion whisky. Something a cut above those that I wouldn't find in a lot of pubs etc.

I'd prefer the chance to sample it though before committing to a bottle.

Any suggestions from the .net experts?
    Where to start?

You'll get as many different suggestions as there are folk on this thread!

However, how much do you want to spend?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Where to start?

You'll get as many different suggestions as there are folk on this thread!

However, how much do you want to spend?
    Good point! That was pretty vague and open to opinion.
    I guess I should rephrase as what people would consider to be their preference for a nice whisky and I can consider/try from there.

Probably looking within the £80-150 bracket. Not the really exclusive stuff. Potentially a bit higher if it was something I could try first at a bar and then buy in the knowledge that I'm a fan.
    Mon the Hibs.

I guess I should rephrase as what people would consider to be their preference for a nice whisky and I can consider/try from there.

Probably looking within the £80-150 bracket. Not the really exclusive stuff. Potentially a bit higher if it was something I could try first at a bar and then buy in the knowledge that I'm a fan.
    Have a look on the SMWS site. Some of the whiskies finished in wine barrels are interesting.

Alternatively, Cadenhead do some good single cask. Allt-a-Bhainne being one that I enjoyed.

Off the shelf, I had a great bottle of Bladnoch a while back.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread but the Bruichladdich Octomore is in that bracket and is very special. But all the distilleries do various special bottlings, so there are probably a couple of thousand whiskies you could choose from, all probably equally fantastic . My grandad used to say malt whiskies aren't like wine, there are no 'bad' ones.

I bought this as a present to myself when my daughter was born:

https://www.whiskyshop.com/old-malt-...in-26-year-old

It’s a stunning Whisky. I find Old Malt Cask to be consistently good quality and they offer something a bit different. Bunnahabhain is a bit different from the south Islay big hitters but it’s an interesting whisky and the regular bottling are readily available to give you a rough idea of what you are getting from a more expensive bottle.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Thanks for the replies guys!

I'll have a look into the ones suggested! The link to the bunnahabhain above looks interesting and sounds up my street (on the sweeter side). I'll try to look out a bottle in a pub somewhere to get a taste for it. Have you came across it in Edinburgh at all PB?
    Mon the Hibs.

I'll have a look into the ones suggested! The link to the bunnahabhain above looks interesting and sounds up my street (on the sweeter side). I'll try to look out a bottle in a pub somewhere to get a taste for it. Have you came across it in Edinburgh at all PB?
    As much as it's a tourist trap, Whiski on the Royal Mile will have it. In fact, I'd imagine there'll be a few "old man" boozers (aka the ones I go into these days) with it.

Try Teuchters on William Street, though beware the Ring of Fire game. Get good at that and you'll taste plenty of whisky but oh the hangovers!!!

The Bow Bar had a bottle a while back, that's where I tried it and decided I wanted a bottle. Not sure if it will still be available. Their whisky selection is excellent, including a Port Ellen at £250 a nip, and the staff are knowledgable and friendly into the bargain.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The Bow Bar had a bottle a while back, that's where I tried it and decided I wanted a bottle. Not sure if it will still be available. Their whisky selection is excellent, including a Port Ellen at £250 a nip, and the staff are knowledgable and friendly into the bargain.
    The Bow is excellent. I was in there last year when a rep was round giving them a tutorial and tasting. fully attentive crew, I spent a very interesting hour or so earwigging over a couple of pints. Top bar top service.

Whiski, teuchters, and the bow - cheers guys!

I was looking forward to the bow being on the way to Easter road from my work - not to be tonight!

Lyonhibs - what is the ring of fire game?
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Whiski, teuchters, and the bow - cheers guys!

I was looking forward to the bow being on the way to Easter road from my work - not to be tonight!

Lyonhibs - what is the ring of fire game?
    Teuchters, and Teuchters Landing in Leith have a hoopla that you can through at the whisky display, and get a nip of what you manage to get the hoop over. I guess that is what he means.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Teuchters, and Teuchters Landing in Leith have a hoopla that you can through at the whisky display, and get a nip of what you manage to get the hoop over. I guess that is what he means.
    It is or at least used to be called "the hoop of destiny" at teuchter's landing. You get a nip of Monkey Shoulder if you fail to land on a bottle.

Anyone going to the The Whisky Stramash at The Surgeons’ Hall?

19/20 May?

I'm not a whisky but was given a voucher by one of my kids. There's 5 of us going altogether.

From their website http://www.thewhiskystramash.com/2018/?

Brands & Companies last year included: Pernod Ricard with Chivas and Glenlivet, Scapa, Longmorn (to name a few), Gordon & MacPhail with lots including Benromach, Douglas Laing and their regional blended malts, BenRiach, GlenDronach, Glenglassaugh, Bunnahabhain, Deanston, Tobermory, Whyte & Mackay with Jura, The Shackleton and Dalmore, Weymss Malts, R & B distillers,The Lost Distillery Company, Glen Moray & Label 5, Loch Lomond and Glen Scotia, Hi Spirits with lots of bourbon including White Dog (mash 1), Benchmark, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare 10yr, Stagg Jnr, 1792, EH Taylor, Murray McDavid Independent Bottler, Robert Graham Independent Bottler, Fraiser Liqueur, Glenfiddich, Grant's Blended Whisky, West Cork Distillers, Dictador Rum.

Tickets are now on sale with a limited Early Bird Offer!
    2 tickets @ £40 with Glencairns and tour vouchers for either the Fettercairn or Jura distilleries.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member edinburghhibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: goggzie
    I’m looking for a Ardbeg lord of the isles box if anyone knows where I can get hold on one. There was one on eBay last week which I missed out on and was gutted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by edinburghhibee View Post
    I’m looking for a Ardbeg lord of the isles box if anyone knows where I can get hold on one. There was one on eBay last week which I missed out on and was gutted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://www.houseofwhiskyscotland.com/product/ardbeg-lord-of-the-isles-25-year-old/

1 left in stock apparently.

SMWS have opened another London bar in Devenshire Square EC2.

I was at the Lagavulin distillery today and tried the 2017 distillery exclusive bottling. It was an absolute cracker and I ended up forking out £100 for a bottle. It was only spoiled by some thick twat telling me a 'true Scot' would never add water to whisky. Trying to taste 54.1% spirit with no water seems far dafter than adding a splash but each to their own. Tried the latest Ardbeg limited edition, Grooves, like a few recent Ardbegs it wasn't great; better than the hideous Ardbog but that's a low bar. The 10 year old is still the flagship for them imo. For a distillery that was almost untouchable in terms of quality 5 years ago something has gone wrong, the Uigedail in particular is unrecognisable from what it was.

Had a wee poke about the new Ardnahoe distillery. They are almost there with building and expect to be starting production by this summer. Work is due to start any day at Port Ellen and they plan to be back in production by 2020, work has already started on the stills and they are attempting to get them as close to the originals as possible.

Finally tried the Bunnhabhain Toiteach. An unusually heavily peated whisky for them and it was very enjoyable although I can see why it splits opinion. Very light bodied, loads of iodine to smell and the taste is very spicy; it's almost like popping a whole peppercorn in your mouth.

All in all another successful trip to Islay and already aiming to be back in the summer.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I was at the Lagavulin distillery today and tried the 2017 distillery exclusive bottling. It was an absolute cracker and I ended up forking out £100 for a bottle. It was only spoiled by some thick twat telling me a 'true Scot' would never add water to whisky. Trying to taste 54.1% spirit with no water seems far dafter than adding a splash but each to their own. Tried the latest Ardbeg limited edition, Grooves, like a few recent Ardbegs it wasn't great; better than the hideous Ardbog but that's a low bar. The 10 year old is still the flagship for them imo. For a distillery that was almost untouchable in terms of quality 5 years ago something has gone wrong, the Uigedail in particular is unrecognisable from what it was.

Had a wee poke about the new Ardnahoe distillery. They are almost there with building and expect to be starting production by this summer. Work is due to start any day at Port Ellen and they plan to be back in production by 2020, work has already started on the stills and they are attempting to get them as close to the originals as possible.

Finally tried the Bunnhabhain Toiteach. An unusually heavily peated whisky for them and it was very enjoyable although I can see why it splits opinion. Very light bodied, loads of iodine to smell and the taste is very spicy; it's almost like popping a whole peppercorn in your mouth.

All in all another successful trip to Islay and already aiming to be back in the summer.
    When do you leave the island?

You've tempted me with the Lagavulin.

Edit: I'm going to my kip now so if you see this and are going to be at the distillery, I'd definitely like a bottle and could pay you for it on Tuesday when I'm up for the game.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 27-03-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Sounds fantastic. Were the roads still in a state? The locals are in rebellious mood apparently...possibly time for the distilleries to make some serious contribution to the islands infrastructure?

Im old enough to have had a dram or two of the original Port Ellen so it'll be interesting to see what the new iteration looks like

Has anyone tried the Glenmorangie 18YO or Signet? My "go to" whisky is the Original Glenmorangie (and the Quinta Ruban is also nice) and was thinking about getting one of these. The original is available in Tesco for £26 at the moment for those who like it!

I got to try Old Particular's Glendullan 15Y the other day. It was quite nice - but it didn't blow me away in the way I was looking for with a £100 bottle.
    Mon the Hibs.