hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: RIP Gordie Howe

RIP Gordie Howe

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nh...dies/85688864/

A total legend. Played at senior level in 5 decades, and played with his sons at senior level. Unimaginable now. Got to speak with him about 5 years ago, what a gentleman. RIP Mr Hockey.
    Last edited by blindsummit; 10-06-2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. Log in to remove the advert

6 decades if you include his IHL game in the 90s when he was almost 70. I always found it interesting that he played with Gretzky in the 79 WHA all star game. Besides linking the two greatest players, setting aside my preference for Lemieux, it creates an almost 55 year period of history stretching from the heyday from the original 6 to the 90s semi-misjudged move to the south.

My favourite hockey quote as a kid watching hockey was from Mr Hockey: "Everybody who is anybody in hockey has played in Hershey.”

While I prefer the 90s blue Whalers jerseys, Gordie did play in a pretty sharp green kit.

Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I prefer the 90s blue Whalers jerseys, Gordie did play in a pretty sharp green kit.

Yeah, love the green whalers kit. Now I'm living in Dallas, I'm a Stars season ticket holder and I love their green and white kit too :)

I saw a clip of Gordie's last ever NHL goal, at the Montreal Forum, and the Canadiens fans gave him a standing ovation when he scored, total respect.

I'm not sure we would ever see that longevity again although Jagr is giving it his best shot. It's a privilege to get to see him play live, even if he's scoring against us!

Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    6 decades if you include his IHL game in the 90s when he was almost 70. I always found it interesting that he played with Gretzky in the 79 WHA all star game. Besides linking the two greatest players, setting aside my preference for Lemieux, it creates an almost 55 year period of history stretching from the heyday from the original 6 to the 90s semi-misjudged move to the south.

My favourite hockey quote as a kid watching hockey was from Mr Hockey: "Everybody who is anybody in hockey has played in Hershey.”
    Yep. it's quite the story that, those two playing together, what history! That's a great quote, made me laugh out loud.

I wonder what kind of tribute there will be tonight at the Sharks Pens game 6.

Although I'm living in Dallas now I'm a Red Wings fan, and used to go to the Joe regularly. Wish I could get up there now to pay my respects. I think when the new season starts you'll see tributes at every team's opening games.

Speaking of the Joe, I really hope they do something at the new Wings arena to commemorate him. I can't see them diverting from naming the arena name from the Little Caesars Arena given the ownership, but at least they should consider naming the main rink after Gordie.

Once the Joe is out of action this leaves only the Rangers without a corporate sponsored named arena, and hopefully Madison Square Garden will always remain so. Quite sad really.