hibs.net Messageboard

Page 107 of 107 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107
Results 3,181 to 3,202 of 3202
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, and they criticise Messi for not turning up for Argentina in finals... at least he stayed on the pitch.

What exactly did Ronaldo 'do' on Sunday night, apart from try to make the occasion all about himself?
    He tried to play on despite an acl tear, nothing wrong with that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Yep.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Ok.

But he didn't exactly make a decisive contribution in the final did he?

Ok.

With you on this one. I am a big Messi fan, but was sad to see Ronaldo go off and in tears (one of the few times I'll say that!). However, I knew if Portugal one then all this debate would kick off. I would accept it if Ronaldo had a physical contribution to the match ie setting up a goal, scoring a goal or even putting in a MOTM performance. He did none of that so it can't be said because his team-mates won the tournament (it should have all been about Eder post match, instead all about Ronaldo...) that he is better than Messi because he has a European trophy. Apart from his two goals against Hungary he was rotten.

Lionel has been in 4 finals, lost them all and made a split decision because the heartbreak from the last one was enough, he wants to bring a trophy home and is normally the one who is blamed when they lose (like there aren't 11 men on the field). It won't be his last game for Argentina, that's for sure. If it is, why not say anything about Mascherano, Higuain and Di Maria who are going to retire also?

Messi still cannot be knocked off the best ever spot purely because Ronaldo's team-mates won a final.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Ok.

Kind of hard if you're crocked after 8 minutes. If you were being fair to him you would acknowledge that without him Portugal probably wouldn't have been in the final so he contributed massively to the final.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHibs View Post
    Kind of hard if you're crocked after 8 minutes. If you were being fair to him you would acknowledge that without him Portugal probably wouldn't have been in the final so he contributed massively to the final.
    He certainly played his part in getting Portugal to the final - the Wales game stands out for me.

But Teo10 sums up my thoughts on this... the fact that Ronaldo got his hands on the trophy on Sunday does not *prove* he is a better player than Messi. Messi has achieved at least as much at international level.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    He certainly played his part in getting Portugal to the final - the Wales game stands out for me.

But Teo10 sums up my thoughts on this... the fact that Ronaldo got his hands on the trophy on Sunday does not *prove* he is a better player than Messi. Messi has achieved at least as much at international level.
    I agree that Ronaldo having a Euro winners medal doesn't prove he's better than Messi, but I don't see how you can say Messi has achieved as much as Ronaldo at international level. He hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo10 View Post
    With you on this one. I am a big Messi fan, but was sad to see Ronaldo go off and in tears (one of the few times I'll say that!). However, I knew if Portugal one then all this debate would kick off. I would accept it if Ronaldo had a physical contribution to the match ie setting up a goal, scoring a goal or even putting in a MOTM performance. He did none of that so it can't be said because his team-mates won the tournament (it should have all been about Eder post match, instead all about Ronaldo...) that he is better than Messi because he has a European trophy. Apart from his two goals against Hungary he was rotten.

Lionel has been in 4 finals, lost them all and made a split decision because the heartbreak from the last one was enough, he wants to bring a trophy home and is normally the one who is blamed when they lose (like there aren't 11 men on the field). It won't be his last game for Argentina, that's for sure. If it is, why not say anything about Mascherano, Higuain and Di Maria who are going to retire also?

Messi still cannot be knocked off the best ever spot purely because Ronaldo's team-mates won a final.
    The media made it all about him. He celebrated with his team mates and despite going off early he helped to inspire his team.

Ronaldo also get a lot of blame if they don't win, just like Messi.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I agree that Ronaldo having a Euro winners medal doesn't prove he's better than Messi, but I don't see how you can say Messi has achieved as much as Ronaldo at international level. He hasn't.
    In terms of personal contribution he has.

In terms of medals, obviously not.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    The media made it all about him. He celebrated with his team mates and despite going off early he helped to inspire his team.

Ronaldo also get a lot of blame if they don't win, just like Messi.
    Lol. Ronaldo makes it all about himself.

What was his celebration about at the final whistle?? Does he really find it so hard to congratulate his team mates (the ones who won the Final)?

What was his celebration about at the final whistle?? Does he really find it so hard to congratulate his team mates (the ones who won the Final)?
    I saw him congratulate and celebrate with his teammates before lifting the trophy?

His ego was never going to allow his teammates to hog the limelight in those circumstances unfortunately.

The idea that Ronaldo must now be a better player than Messi just because he has won a major international tournament is a bit strange to me.

Is Pepe now a superior defender to Paolo Maldini? Is Nikopolidis a better goalkeeper than Edwin Van Der Sar?

Both Messi and Ronaldo have had fantastic club careers (Messi -28 trophies, Ronaldo -17) and both have performed well in international teams that have not always been easy to be a part of. Messi has played in 4 major international finals, Ronaldo 2 and Messi actually has a better goalscoring record than Ronaldo at international level (albeit with a minimal difference). Winning a Euros with Portugal is a wonderful achievement for Ronaldo but does it make him the better player. Not imo.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The idea that Ronaldo must now be a better player than Messi just because he has won a major international tournament is a bit strange to me.

Is Pepe now a superior defender to Paolo Maldini? Is Nikopolidis a better goalkeeper than Edwin Van Der Sar?

Both Messi and Ronaldo have had fantastic club careers (Messi -28 trophies, Ronaldo -17) and both have performed well in international teams that have not always been easy to be a part of. Messi has played in 4 major international finals, Ronaldo 2 and Messi actually has a better goalscoring record than Ronaldo at international level (albeit with a minimal difference). Winning a Euros with Portugal is a wonderful achievement for Ronaldo but does it make him the better player. Not imo.
    Very well summed up. My thoughts exactly.

This
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Ronaldo looked at himself on the big screens an average of 183 times per game.... fact

Ronaldo's favourite song was a by Kylie Minogue hit... "i cant get me out of my head"
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 12-07-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    Ronaldo looked at himself on the big screens an average of 183 times per game.... fact

Ronaldo's favourite song was a by Kylie Minogue hit... "i cant get me out of my head"
    Thought it was I'm too Sexy by Right Said Fred?

I am sure a lot of people have said Ronaldo and Messi cannot be considered as the best unless the have won International tournaments.

Ronaldo has.

Messi can't.

People say Ronaldo hasn't achieved internationally that Messi has...

He's actually been part of a winning side.

How is it in UK if someone is successful iin business/sport/whatever they are immediatly looked on as having cheated /taken drugs/have an ego/are bad mannered etc etc etc ?
    Often think those that criticise belong to the
    "IF I CAN'T HAVE IT WHY SHOULD YOU " club
    I enjoy watching Renaldo / Messi etc for what they are " Top class entertainers " !!
    God knows there are few of them about !!
    I enjoyed the talents of Pele/Best/ Stan Mathew's/ Gordon Smith et al over the years and am happy to enjoy the talents of these two !!

I am sure a lot of people have said Ronaldo and Messi cannot be considered as the best unless the have won International tournaments.

Ronaldo has.

Messi can't.
    You seem to be choosing to be deliberately obtuse on this thread, for some reason. Stop putting up straw man arguments.

Your opinion seems to be that Ronaldo is now proven to be a better player than Messi. Others (including me) disagree. Let it be.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar

Ronaldo has.

Messi can't.
    Pele won three.