hibs.net Messageboard

Bo Burnham - Make Happy

Incredible. Anyone who has seen 'What' - a comedy special by Bo on YouTube and Netflix will know how special this guy is. His latest tour/special 'Make Happy' was released on Friday and I just got the chance to watch it. Would wholeheartedly recommend Bo to anybody who has an affinity for comedy, theatre, music and the arts in general. IMO he redefines the comedy genre and challenges the business of entertainment itself. It's only on Netflix officially but for anyone who doesn't have a subscription, it's been uploaded without permission to YouTube here. Wouldn't usually endorse this but I think it's better for everybody who wants to see this to have access to it.

If you couldn't tell, I really liked it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Sorry but I think he's awful. If your looking on youtube/netflix there's 100s better than this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry but I think he's awful. If your looking on youtube/netflix there's 100s better than this guy.
    No need to apologise - it's opinions, but for me he's one of the most original and best creators around*. Why don't you like him?

*Should note to anyone looking in and interested - The whole load of dislikes on the YouTube link is because the uploader had no permission, it's not because of the content. The show itself has been received to great acclaim from critics and the audience, not to say it's for everyone of course. I almost feel I need to correct myself for calling it a comedy special, it's more of a one man show.
    Last edited by Vault Boy; 06-06-2016 at 01:54 AM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Think the OP has oversold this. Watched and enjoyed it but 'redefining the comedy genre' it did not. Derivative of many acts like Tim Minchim, Bill Bailey etc. Clearly clever and talented but I much prefer the Bill Burr specials to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    No need to apologise - it's opinions, but for me he's one of the most original and best creators around*. Why don't you like him?

*Should note to anyone looking in and interested - The whole load of dislikes on the YouTube link is because the uploader had no permission, it's not because of the content. The show itself has been received to great acclaim from critics and the audience, not to say it's for everyone of course. I almost feel I need to correct myself for calling it a comedy special, it's more of a one man show.
    Not sure if it's his style or if it's just something about him that doesn't appeal. He probably isn't as bad as I first made out and I know a lot of people dislike the stuff I like so yeah it's probably just all about different tastes

Not sure if it's his style or if it's just something about him that doesn't appeal. He probably isn't as bad as I first made out and I know a lot of people dislike the stuff I like so yeah it's probably just all about different tastes
    In fact, scrap that. Got confused reading the thread and was thinking about Bill Burr who is pretty decent. Will stick with my original statement that Bo Burnham is indeed awful in my opinion. Honestly don't find him funny at all.

In fact, scrap that. Got confused reading the thread and was thinking about Bill Burr who is pretty decent. Will stick with my original statement that Bo Burnham is indeed awful in my opinion. Honestly don't find him funny at all.
    I very much disagree with your opinion but fully respect your right to have it and support it.

However, for anyone else looking in who might still be swayed, here's a select few of the many positive critical and audience reviews. I'll leave this thread alone now.

AVClub
    Guardian
    An admittedly bias Reddit page