hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: New top gear

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

New top gear

What did people think of last nights first show?
    I thought it was ok, the biggest problem was the fact that it was obvious that Evans and Le Blanc aren't yet comfortable together to make some of the stuff work as well as it did before. One of the things that made it work in the past was that the 3 presenters were all good mates and could take the piss out of each other.
    All in all I thought it was a good start and some of the criticism was OTT.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Just awful in so many ways. I'm amazed it was broadcast. Don't want to analyse it too much but whoever appointed Chris Evans is a TV idiot.

Watched it and thought it was garbage but I never really got the appeal of the old Top Gear either so my opinion is hardly suprising.

I generally like Chris Evans but the show doesn't really seem right for him and his best TV days might well be behind him.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Sometimes you just have to admit that the show can't go on.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    They've tried to change it and make it more appealling but they've failed awfully IMO.

The 2 presenters are devoid of any charisma, the pops at the previous incumbents were both predictable and boring, the changes to the star in a reasonably priced car are simply to try and seem 'different' (failed) and they've pumped an extra 'analysis' show onto the package when it's absolutely guaranteed to be less popular than it was with Clarkson, May and Hammond.

Flogging a dead horse sprung to mind when I was watching it unravelling. Oh, and the USA vs UK thing was utterly loathsome.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member
    I loved it. Couldn't stand clarkson and his cronies. Thought they might have changed the format a bit but it's early days,

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I loved it. Couldn't stand clarkson and his cronies. Thought they might have changed the format a bit but it's early days,
    Thought they could have pulled further from the old show and made more changes, feels like they got caught between change and keeping it familiar. TG was getting stale under the old guard so a revamp would have been needed anyway even if Clarkson hadn't hit out.

Evans needs to relax, when he did, such as during the interviews he was fine, apart from that he was trying to be too much like Clarkson. LeBlanc was awful awful awful in the studio segments. Maybe they should keep him to film and get in another presenter or two into the studio section?

Better than I feared and in places there are signs it could work once it all settles down and they get the balance right.

I miss James May though....

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    I thought Matt Le Blanc was terrible. Loved Friends, but he seems to be incapable of ever being any different from Joey.

Enjoyed the star in the reasonably priced car, particularly the change to the track layout with an off-road section.

I enjoyed the section with Sabine, would like to see her given a more prominent role. Her Transit van race round the Nurbergring was a highlight of previous top gear series.

Normally like Chris Evans but he was just bloody annoying. Jumping about the place like he was on TFI Friday and trying to get some Audience participation (announcing the new layout of Star in a rally cross car was feeble).

Remove him from Top Gear and it was actually alright. Le Blanc done well as did Sabine.

Top Gear was on its last legs before Clarkson was sacked. Maybe they should have just called it a day, Chris Evans was truly dreadful.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    I thought last nights show was so much better than the first episode. The South Africa film was great.

If Jenson Button jacks the F1 in at the end of the year he'd make an absolutely brilliant host of Top Gear.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Last episode on Sunday. Been a really good series. I don't mind Chris tbh.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Not watched the new series, I liked Clarkson and his 2 buddies, politically not always spot on but good for a laugh. I can't stand Evens, never understood how he got so far in this industry, they should've ditched the old Top Gear set up and went for a brand new show, totally different set up.

Can't bloody edit post, I mean Evans.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Last episode on Sunday. Been a really good series. I don't mind Chris tbh.
    I'm glad it's finished on Sunday tbh. It will give the production team a chance to look at what worked and what didn't. I didn't like Evans and I didn't like Eddie Jordan either. I also wasn't keen on the use of celebrities in the scenes, what made the previous top gear work was the bond between the presenters. It takes time to build up that sort of bond and bringing in new people every week slows that down imo.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Evans hangs up his driving gloves!

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Evans hangs up his driving gloves!
    Admittedly I am not a Top Gear viewer but could not believe that Chris Evans leaving was the headline news on the TV and BBC website! With so much else going on in the world and this is the headline!

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Watched the first couple of episodes but gave up on it, it was garbage, you couldn't pay me to watch Chris Evans present anything in his screechy, whiney voice. The other driver they had on the show, Chris Harris, is a tosser. He was only on the screen for about 5 minutes that i seen but he just irritated me.

Matt Le Blanc was funny but it was clear he couldn't stand Evans, Jenson Button was good when he was on driving the McClaren and the rallycross course for star in a reasonably priced car was a good change but apart from that its a disaster.