hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Andy Murray

murray has earned his celebrity with some historic wins , britains wimbledon/davis cup jinx went back almost as far as our scottish cup hoodoo . murray first beat djokovic to end the wimbledon one then pretty much single handed won britain the davis cup for the 1st time in 80 odd years , won olympic gold and silver as well as a load of other prestigious events around the world . he's had to do all this against some of the greatest players that have ever lived . we should all have a bit of pride in him... he's 1 of our own

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Murray is Scotland's and Britain's greatest sportsmen of this century without doubt. His determination and character are outstanding and he is a great role model for today's youth.

The only reason for is reserved personality in front of the camera is because of the whole supporting anyone but England which was just said as a joke to Henman and the media took it too far. If you get to see him not on camera, he has a great dry sense of humour.

Quote Originally Posted by Halifaxhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nothing against any hibby mate. Tennis bores me so does he. Do u get paid millions to do a job u love??, cmon andy put a smile on yer pus pal!!! Stop throwing tantrums everytime u get beat or abusing officials. You are in a position of priviledge.
    Seems like you have a massive chip on your shoulders , which your obviously welcome to have , bringing it on here and having a pop at celeb Hibs fans, coming out with a few apparent inaccuraccies is a big bit out of order for me ... Maybe you should create an "I hate celebrities that don't smile all the time or take advantage of their status " website .
    Abusing officials is never right but watching football alone week in and week out, officials get it tighter from players and managers ..miles more than what Andy Murray gives to an umpire ...???!!!!

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Officially the first hibs.net argument since the final, and it's about tennis. This board really has changed for the better.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    A more dedicated sportsman you will struggle to find, and comes from a Hibs supporting family too. Maybe not the fan that goes every week or even at all, but he classes himself as a fan and thats good enough for me.
    Not just a Hibs supporting family but his grandad played for us as well.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    We've just had our greatest day as Hibs fans and Halifax takes the opportunity to make a complete and utter tit of himself. What an absolute roaster.

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    The seethe for Andy in England is unbelievable some really do hate him as much as rangers hate us
    45 AND RISING

Monotone murray. A spoilt wee brat who cannot comprehend how lucky he is to do something he loves and paid over the odds but still cant put a smile on his pus!!!. Aye he trained with us once. So what. Just another sports celeb looking for more attention. Him and his racist wife.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Holmesdale Hibs View Post
    AM comes across as quite shy in front of the media and I think I remember him saying it took him a long time to be comfortable dealing with that side of his job. For me, he's one of the most genuine sportsmen/celebrities I can think of and I'd much rather have someone like him that than a politician-type with false smiles and saying everything is great all the time. I also wouldn't say he milks Hibs at all, if anything it's the other way around. Glad to have him as a Hibee and good luck to him in the open.

This.

I've met him a couple of times and he's a very nice bloke with a good sense of humour, he's not comfortable with the media stuff but gets on with it. He's very very dedicated in what he does, his training and fitness regime would put many top so called sports stars to shame.
    The difference between a fan and supporter....one goes to games the other can't but still love the club.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Brings me this back to the cup, did anyone see Boyle tweet Judy Murray asking for free Wimbledon tickets yesterday? She replied Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by h1bee123 View Post
    Murray is Scotland's and Britain's greatest sportsmen of this century without doubt. His determination and character are outstanding and he is a great role model for today's youth.

The only reason for is reserved personality in front of the camera is because of the whole supporting anyone but England which was just said as a joke to Henman and the media took it too far. If you get to see him not on camera, he has a great dry sense of humour.
    Reckon Chris Hoy and/or Bradley Wiggins might well run him close but they are all in the ballpark.

If more Scots had the attitude and work ethic of Andy (and Jamie) Murray the country wouldn't be the sporting backwater that it is.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    Andy Murray is the greatest British sportsman in my lifetime.

He is not a "celeb".

As someone once said, if you know only football, then you know nothing.

Hibs once had an issue with the Scottish Cup. Hadn't won it in over a century, apparently... it was often referred to as a hoodoo.

Well, there used to be a real issue with Wimbledon too. The most famous tennis tournament in the world, yet no British male winner since Fred Perry. The scale of Andy Murray's achievements are immense... 2 grand slams, Olympic Gold, Davis Cup... incredible. Who cares if he comes across as a bit grumpy sometimes?!!

Oh, and he's one of our own!

Always had the utmost respect for Andy Murray and delighted that his family are all part of the extended Hibs Family.

He must have been so chuffed for his grandad as it had to be one of the happiest days of that old mans life.

All Hibs fans will know exactly how he felt except the self loathing ones.

Monotone murray. A spoilt wee brat who cannot comprehend how lucky he is to do something he loves and paid over the odds but still cant put a smile on his pus!!!. Aye he trained with us once. So what. Just another sports celeb looking for more attention. Him and his racist wife.
    Behave. She's hardly a racist either. 😂

2 sets all. Hope he can win the 5th.

2-2, has gone to a deciding set, Live on Eurosport

Hope there's no court invasion and taunting of Stepanic fans at the end!!
    Last edited by macca70; 24-05-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    2-2, has gone to a deciding set, Live on Sky Sports

Slightly easier to climb the net though.

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    you work for the daily record?
    Wish I could work

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    2-2, has gone to a deciding set, Live on Sky Sports

On Eurosport not sky. Itv 4 also I think.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i believe Dougray Scott was also in attendance at Hampden....just thought i'd say likes

he was also in fear the walking dead last week on the tellybox :)

Were you pished when you wrote this? Away and lie down.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Nothing against any hibby mate. Tennis bores me so does he. Do u get paid millions to do a job u love??, cmon andy put a smile on yer pus pal!!! Stop throwing tantrums everytime u get beat or abusing officials. You are in a position of priviledge.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...le-just-normal

Andy Murray: not miserable, just normal

Charlie Brooker

Sunday 8 July 2012 14.56 BST

Congratulations to Andy Murray, who either did or didn't win Wimbledon this afternoon. Since I'm writing this almost immediately before the match itself kicks off, I've got no way of knowing what the outcome was. Is. Will be. Whatever.

I think I can safely predict one thing, though: whatever happens, win or lose, in the post-game interview, he won't do a double thumbs-up, gurn joyously down the lens, waggle his tongue around like Gazza, then moonwalk off, waving, grinning, and making comedy trombone noises. That's not the Andy Murray we know and sort of love.

People say Murray's miserable because he doesn't smile very often. He's not miserable. He's normal. Have you walked down a street recently? Any street in the country? Go on, pick one. Take a stroll. Bring a notepad. Make a note each time you spot someone walking around beaming like they just taught their dog to **** money. Chances are you'll cross six postcodes before you glimpse so much as a smirk. Which isn't to say people are inherently unhappy. Just that they've got better things to do with their faces than walking around bending their mouths up like idiots.

The people who want Murray to smile are the same ones who try to make me dance at weddings. They want the world to conspicuously enjoy itself in a manner of their choosing, and they turn vaguely sanctimonious when they encounter pockets of resistance, as though their definition of fun is the only one that matters.

So Murray isn't going to win the Merryville Festival of Grins any time soon. What difference does it make to you, you needy pricks? Can't he just play tennis without having to turn around after each point and pull a happy face just for you, like he's your dad watering plants in the garden and you're a toddler watching him through the kitchen window? What do you want, a tennis champion or Mister Tumble? Make your mind up, because you're not getting both.

Perhaps part of the confusion is that despite being very much in the public eye, Murray refuses to play along with the patronising emotionalism demanded by the media, where sporting stars are expected to put on showy displays of "passion" that look good in a highlights package at the end of the show. If you're not a natural cartwheels-of-victory type, it must be a pain in the arse to know everyone's expectantly gauging your reaction. You know how when you're opening a birthday present in front of a crowd, all your brain can do is scream: "FOR GOD'S SAKE LOOK DELIGHTED!" at you? Multiply that by ten million. I'd say Murray's ability to ignore this pressure is almost more impressive than his racquet skills.

Moments after beating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the semi-final, Murray was interviewed by the BBC's Garry Richardson, who found himself repeatedly trying to squeeze some kind of rousing sentiment from a man intent on describing the game in technical terms, like a straight-faced IT consultant explaining how he fixed a problem with the server.

After trying and failing to get him to describe the match as a rollercoaster of emotions, Richardson brought up Murray's mum and dad, who'd been sitting in the audience. "What can it possibly have been like, Andy, for your parents watching there?" he asked, presumably hoping to prompt a moment of choked-up pride. Murray handed him a cold stone in return.

"I've no idea," he replied, deadpan. "I'm not really that bothered. It's a lot harder for me, that's for sure." And there was a glimmer of a dark smirk at the end, the kind that doesn't register in a world in which all emotions must be expressible as emoticons and interior happiness is required to be rendered visible from a range of 200 metres.

That's precisely the kind of sporting hero we need. One who's allergic to bull**** and treats the whole thing like a job that rather than a tear-jerked spiritual calling. He seems to want to ignore the media. Trouble is, he's so bloody good at tennis, the media can't ignore him. But like a bluebottle repeatedly bashing its face against a windowpane, it continually tries and fails to turn him into yet another easily digested celebrity. "Celebrity" is increasingly the only role the media can process, yet it's a role in which Murray looks about as comfortable as a dog on rollerblades.

In the run-up to the Wimbledon final (which, at the risk of repeating myself, hasn't happened at the time of writing), press and broadcasters alike routinely described Murray as some kind of symbolic vessel containing all British hope. All our dreams, all our aspirations – all on his shoulders, apparently. Poor ****er.

The strong implication was that if he won, it'd solve all our national neuroses at a stroke: like England won Euro 2012, like Barclays behaved, like Diana never died. We'd be commanded to stand outside collectively waving union flags as though trying to attract the attention of some huge intergalactic queen bee hovering somewhere above the atmosphere. But if, on the other hand, he lost we'd either tut and say it's typical – because we're allowed to be grouchy, but the people we pointlessly entrust with our sense of national self-worth aren't – or, more likely, be expected to sit soggy-eyed watching a slow-motion montage of his disappointed face, cut to something mournful-but-unthreatening with a hint of Coldplay about it. Because if he won't supply the emotion, goddamit, we'll make the soundtrack do it on his behalf.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 24-05-2016 at 12:28 PM.

This match is fantastic!!!

5-5 in 5th set

Andy Murray comes back from 2-1 to beat Stepanek (wearing blue and white) to win the match 3-2. Great scenes in Paris with Andy Murray jumping over the net, sticking the nut on Stepanek then digging up some of the clay court as a souvenir while singing Sunshine on Leith as he leaves the court.

I don't care how underprivileged you are, you could seriously do with cheering up yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    andy murray comes back from 2-1 to beat stepanek (wearing blue and white) to win the match 3-2. Great scenes in paris with andy murray jumping over the net, sticking the nut on stepanek then digging up some of the clay court as a souvenir while singing sunshine on leith as he leaves the court.

lol

Left by mutual consent!
    Andy Murray comes back from 2-1 to beat Stepanek (wearing blue and white) to win the match 3-2. Great scenes in Paris with Andy Murray jumping over the net, sticking the nut on Stepanek then digging up some of the clay court as a souvenir while singing Sunshine on Leith as he leaves the court.

AM does in fact win 3-2. Now where have a heard that score ?

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    Andy Murray is the greatest British sportsman in my lifetime.

He is not a "celeb".

As someone once said, if you know only football, then you know nothing.
    That is being generous.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    I have issues with Welsh! seriously though, he could not find time to mix wi' normal Hibbies on our train to Maribor. seemed to prefer to stay with his close group in the first class carriage. each tae there ain though
    He spent plenty of quality time with Hibbies on The Bounce-organised bus to and from the Dubliner in Gothenburg to Boras for the Elfsborg game.....