hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Andy Murray

Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Always had the utmost respect for Andy Murray and delighted that his family are all part of the extended Hibs Family.

He must have been so chuffed for his grandad as it had to be one of the happiest days of that old mans life.

All Hibs fans will know exactly how he felt except the self loathing ones.
    Exactly, Don't forget Jamie, top of the ATP rankings in doubles, and another good Hibby. Also Andy did more than just train with Hibs, he arranged for Alan Stubbs and our backroom staff to visit their Davis Cup training camp. If that helped in any way with improving fitness methods then that could have contributed to our cup win!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Halifaxhibby View Post
    Met him twice. Both times an arrogant douche. Me me me. No time for him. Not falling out with anyone. Was he there on saturday???.
    Must be a massive hibs fan then eh??
    The fact he's playing in the French Open might have something to do with that.

You're way off the mark about Andy. The Murrays are all Hibs fans and it's a great thing for our club to have such fantastic international ambassadors. They've always made time for helping the club out and were happy to have Stubbs join the Davis Cup team training last year to discuss sporting tactics etc, something he said was very useful.

For me, Andy and Jamie are among the most likeable, unaffected sportsmen you could hope to come across and their world-class achievements should be celebrated by all right thinking sports fans. If Scottish football's ruling bodies had half the clout of Judy Murray we might actually see our national team achieve something instead of limping along as also rans.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Andy HIBSED It

0-2 down and WON 3-2

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...le-just-normal

Andy Murray: not miserable, just normal

Charlie Brooker

Sunday 8 July 2012 14.56 BST

Congratulations to Andy Murray, who either did or didn't win Wimbledon this afternoon. Since I'm writing this almost immediately before the match itself kicks off, I've got no way of knowing what the outcome was. Is. Will be. Whatever.

I think I can safely predict one thing, though: whatever happens, win or lose, in the post-game interview, he won't do a double thumbs-up, gurn joyously down the lens, waggle his tongue around like Gazza, then moonwalk off, waving, grinning, and making comedy trombone noises. That's not the Andy Murray we know and sort of love.

People say Murray's miserable because he doesn't smile very often. He's not miserable. He's normal. Have you walked down a street recently? Any street in the country? Go on, pick one. Take a stroll. Bring a notepad. Make a note each time you spot someone walking around beaming like they just taught their dog to **** money. Chances are you'll cross six postcodes before you glimpse so much as a smirk. Which isn't to say people are inherently unhappy. Just that they've got better things to do with their faces than walking around bending their mouths up like idiots.

The people who want Murray to smile are the same ones who try to make me dance at weddings. They want the world to conspicuously enjoy itself in a manner of their choosing, and they turn vaguely sanctimonious when they encounter pockets of resistance, as though their definition of fun is the only one that matters.

So Murray isn't going to win the Merryville Festival of Grins any time soon. What difference does it make to you, you needy pricks? Can't he just play tennis without having to turn around after each point and pull a happy face just for you, like he's your dad watering plants in the garden and you're a toddler watching him through the kitchen window? What do you want, a tennis champion or Mister Tumble? Make your mind up, because you're not getting both.

Perhaps part of the confusion is that despite being very much in the public eye, Murray refuses to play along with the patronising emotionalism demanded by the media, where sporting stars are expected to put on showy displays of "passion" that look good in a highlights package at the end of the show. If you're not a natural cartwheels-of-victory type, it must be a pain in the arse to know everyone's expectantly gauging your reaction. You know how when you're opening a birthday present in front of a crowd, all your brain can do is scream: "FOR GOD'S SAKE LOOK DELIGHTED!" at you? Multiply that by ten million. I'd say Murray's ability to ignore this pressure is almost more impressive than his racquet skills.

Moments after beating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the semi-final, Murray was interviewed by the BBC's Garry Richardson, who found himself repeatedly trying to squeeze some kind of rousing sentiment from a man intent on describing the game in technical terms, like a straight-faced IT consultant explaining how he fixed a problem with the server.

After trying and failing to get him to describe the match as a rollercoaster of emotions, Richardson brought up Murray's mum and dad, who'd been sitting in the audience. "What can it possibly have been like, Andy, for your parents watching there?" he asked, presumably hoping to prompt a moment of choked-up pride. Murray handed him a cold stone in return.

"I've no idea," he replied, deadpan. "I'm not really that bothered. It's a lot harder for me, that's for sure." And there was a glimmer of a dark smirk at the end, the kind that doesn't register in a world in which all emotions must be expressible as emoticons and interior happiness is required to be rendered visible from a range of 200 metres.

That's precisely the kind of sporting hero we need. One who's allergic to bull**** and treats the whole thing like a job that rather than a tear-jerked spiritual calling. He seems to want to ignore the media. Trouble is, he's so bloody good at tennis, the media can't ignore him. But like a bluebottle repeatedly bashing its face against a windowpane, it continually tries and fails to turn him into yet another easily digested celebrity. "Celebrity" is increasingly the only role the media can process, yet it's a role in which Murray looks about as comfortable as a dog on rollerblades.

In the run-up to the Wimbledon final (which, at the risk of repeating myself, hasn't happened at the time of writing), press and broadcasters alike routinely described Murray as some kind of symbolic vessel containing all British hope. All our dreams, all our aspirations – all on his shoulders, apparently. Poor ****er.

The strong implication was that if he won, it'd solve all our national neuroses at a stroke: like England won Euro 2012, like Barclays behaved, like Diana never died. We'd be commanded to stand outside collectively waving union flags as though trying to attract the attention of some huge intergalactic queen bee hovering somewhere above the atmosphere. But if, on the other hand, he lost we'd either tut and say it's typical – because we're allowed to be grouchy, but the people we pointlessly entrust with our sense of national self-worth aren't – or, more likely, be expected to sit soggy-eyed watching a slow-motion montage of his disappointed face, cut to something mournful-but-unthreatening with a hint of Coldplay about it. Because if he won't supply the emotion, goddamit, we'll make the soundtrack do it on his behalf.

I love Charlie Brooker. Hadn't seen that before. Brilliant and right on the money as per. Cheers for posting.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    I love Charlie Brooker. Hadn't seen that before. Brilliant and right on the money as per. Cheers for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...le-just-normal

Andy Murray: not miserable, just normal

Charlie Brooker

Sunday 8 July 2012 14.56 BST

Congratulations to Andy Murray, who either did or didn't win Wimbledon this afternoon. Since I'm writing this almost immediately before the match itself kicks off, I've got no way of knowing what the outcome was. Is. Will be. Whatever.

I think I can safely predict one thing, though: whatever happens, win or lose, in the post-game interview, he won't do a double thumbs-up, gurn joyously down the lens, waggle his tongue around like Gazza, then moonwalk off, waving, grinning, and making comedy trombone noises. That's not the Andy Murray we know and sort of love.

People say Murray's miserable because he doesn't smile very often. He's not miserable. He's normal. Have you walked down a street recently? Any street in the country? Go on, pick one. Take a stroll. Bring a notepad. Make a note each time you spot someone walking around beaming like they just taught their dog to **** money. Chances are you'll cross six postcodes before you glimpse so much as a smirk. Which isn't to say people are inherently unhappy. Just that they've got better things to do with their faces than walking around bending their mouths up like idiots.

The people who want Murray to smile are the same ones who try to make me dance at weddings. They want the world to conspicuously enjoy itself in a manner of their choosing, and they turn vaguely sanctimonious when they encounter pockets of resistance, as though their definition of fun is the only one that matters.

So Murray isn't going to win the Merryville Festival of Grins any time soon. What difference does it make to you, you needy pricks? Can't he just play tennis without having to turn around after each point and pull a happy face just for you, like he's your dad watering plants in the garden and you're a toddler watching him through the kitchen window? What do you want, a tennis champion or Mister Tumble? Make your mind up, because you're not getting both.

Perhaps part of the confusion is that despite being very much in the public eye, Murray refuses to play along with the patronising emotionalism demanded by the media, where sporting stars are expected to put on showy displays of "passion" that look good in a highlights package at the end of the show. If you're not a natural cartwheels-of-victory type, it must be a pain in the arse to know everyone's expectantly gauging your reaction. You know how when you're opening a birthday present in front of a crowd, all your brain can do is scream: "FOR GOD'S SAKE LOOK DELIGHTED!" at you? Multiply that by ten million. I'd say Murray's ability to ignore this pressure is almost more impressive than his racquet skills.

Moments after beating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the semi-final, Murray was interviewed by the BBC's Garry Richardson, who found himself repeatedly trying to squeeze some kind of rousing sentiment from a man intent on describing the game in technical terms, like a straight-faced IT consultant explaining how he fixed a problem with the server.

After trying and failing to get him to describe the match as a rollercoaster of emotions, Richardson brought up Murray's mum and dad, who'd been sitting in the audience. "What can it possibly have been like, Andy, for your parents watching there?" he asked, presumably hoping to prompt a moment of choked-up pride. Murray handed him a cold stone in return.

"I've no idea," he replied, deadpan. "I'm not really that bothered. It's a lot harder for me, that's for sure." And there was a glimmer of a dark smirk at the end, the kind that doesn't register in a world in which all emotions must be expressible as emoticons and interior happiness is required to be rendered visible from a range of 200 metres.

That's precisely the kind of sporting hero we need. One who's allergic to bull**** and treats the whole thing like a job that rather than a tear-jerked spiritual calling. He seems to want to ignore the media. Trouble is, he's so bloody good at tennis, the media can't ignore him. But like a bluebottle repeatedly bashing its face against a windowpane, it continually tries and fails to turn him into yet another easily digested celebrity. "Celebrity" is increasingly the only role the media can process, yet it's a role in which Murray looks about as comfortable as a dog on rollerblades.

In the run-up to the Wimbledon final (which, at the risk of repeating myself, hasn't happened at the time of writing), press and broadcasters alike routinely described Murray as some kind of symbolic vessel containing all British hope. All our dreams, all our aspirations – all on his shoulders, apparently. Poor ****er.

The strong implication was that if he won, it'd solve all our national neuroses at a stroke: like England won Euro 2012, like Barclays behaved, like Diana never died. We'd be commanded to stand outside collectively waving union flags as though trying to attract the attention of some huge intergalactic queen bee hovering somewhere above the atmosphere. But if, on the other hand, he lost we'd either tut and say it's typical – because we're allowed to be grouchy, but the people we pointlessly entrust with our sense of national self-worth aren't – or, more likely, be expected to sit soggy-eyed watching a slow-motion montage of his disappointed face, cut to something mournful-but-unthreatening with a hint of Coldplay about it. Because if he won't supply the emotion, goddamit, we'll make the soundtrack do it on his behalf.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    andy murray.jpg

During the US Open. Obviously a yam.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Come on Andy!!!!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Looks like Andy likes winning 3-2 as well.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Looks like Andy likes winning 3-2 as well.
    It's clearly the score all Hibs fans want to enjoy this week. But enough of the tributes Andy, just get this won!

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Murray 2-1 down but Hibsed it and won 3-2

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    I see Halifax has disappeared now that he has sobered up. His fact-less rants about Murray really were up there with the biggest lot of single fish I have read on this forum for a long time. Pathetic and embarrassing.

"You can take the man out of Yorkshire...."

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Murray 2-1 down but Hibsed it and won 3-2
    He's getting a bit carried away with these 3-2 wins.

We will settle for 3-0, Andy, honest!

First Team Regular gorgie greens's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibbystew7
    His grandfather said that Andy would be watching the Final and watches Hibs on line no matter where he is in the world

First Team Breakthrough Bighoose's Avatar
    He was also wearing a White Shirt and Green Shorts today

Quote Originally Posted by Bighoose View Post
    He was also wearing a White Shirt and Green Shorts today
    Noticed that as well. He normally wears all black/dark grey top and shorts.
    He's been on court each day this week and always had green shorts on. That is unusual. Think it might be a way of him showing his true colours.

He's a Hibby but just won't admit it publicly because he'd take stick for it. In his defence he doesn't need distraction when playing at the top level in his sport. Nothing wrong with him being a fan and supporting us in private.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    His Ma was at the cup final

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Noticed that as well. He normally wears all black/dark grey top and shorts.
    He's been on court each day this week and always had green shorts on. That is unusual. Think it might be a way of him showing his true colours.

He's a Hibby but just won't admit it publicly because he'd take stick for it. In his defence he doesn't need distraction when playing at the top level in his sport. Nothing wrong with him being a fan and supporting us in private.
    He's never hidden the fact he's a Hibby and has admitted it many times.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    His Ma was at the cup final
    Yeah with his granddad, I spotted them on the highlights.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Yeah with his granddad, I spotted them on the highlights.
    Nice article here with his Grandad talking briefly about Saturday

http://m.heraldscotland.com/sport/14513694.Roy_Erskine__the_former_Hibs_player_and_g randfather_of_tennis_ace_Andy_Murray__discusses_hi s_own_waiting_game______/