hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    First Team Breakthrough m3llow1's Avatar
    I took my 13 year old daughter, it was her first Scottish cup final, although not her first seeing Hibs at Hampden. The first time she ever watched a Hibs game with me was on the tv back in 2007, although she doesn't really remember. Walking up to the ground she asked me what I thought the score would be and I said without a thought, "3-2 for Hibs, in fact I'm putting a bet on for that!" Opened up my SB app and with my last £3 placed the bet.
    Skip to 88 mins and my nerves are being ripped apart, cash out had dropped from £40 to £12 and I'm thinking this is going all the way, cash out now... I did... Talk about bitter sweet, no sooner had I put my phone away... Henderson to deliverrrrr... The rest is history...I was the only person in green the that screamed FAAAAAACK when the ball hit the net 😖
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Is the book idea that was mooted at the start of this thread going anywhere?

I've never read this thread before but if still reqd, we all still have magical moments of that day . precious moments with my youngest son at the end of the match

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never read this thread before but if still reqd, we all still have magical moments of that day . precious moments with my youngest son at the end of the match
    Let's hear it, Wullie

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Remembrance Sunday makes me think of my own story.

In February 2016, I was in Northern France, checking up on some family history. On the way there, I stopped off in London to see my oldest son. We watched the first Cup game against Hearts in Quinn's. As one who had never experienced its delights, it was a bizarre feeling watching grown men (including my son) dancing up and down a pub in Camden when the equaliser went in.

On to France. The main purpose of the trip was to see memorials to two of my great-grandads, both of whom were killed in WW1. One of them doesn't have a marked grave, like so many others; there's "just" a plaque on a wall near Loos.

The other, who is a paternal great-grandad, and thus a direct link to me, was killed in Dunkirk in August 1918... 3 months before the Armistice, having volunteered for extra service when his regiment was sent home.

No-one could ever say for sure whether he was a Hibby, but he lived in Leith, and his son turned out one, so it's a fair assumption. I had my scarf with me, which was meant for a trip to Contalmaison ( which didn't happen, another story), so I draped it around the headstone. I had a word with him...." see if you're a Hibby....." etc etc. A few selfies, lots of tears, and that was that.

I got back on the day of the replay. Wasn't in the mood to go, but my younger son convinced me. Thankfully.

21st May. We're 2-1 down. I'm contemplating yet another long drive home along the M8....and we get the first of those corners.

I looked up above the South stand and said "right, great-granda, if you're a Hibby.....".

Boom.

Holy ****....this **** works!!!

So...the next corner..... I lined up:-

My great granda
    My granda
    My dad's brother
    My mum's brother
    My Australian cousin

All of them gone, and all Hibbies, but forever now known as my Famous Five.

They all delivered

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Remembrance Sunday makes me think of my own story.

In February 2016, I was in Northern France, checking up on some family history. On the way there, I stopped off in London to see my oldest son. We watched the first Cup game against Hearts in Quinn's. As one who had never experienced its delights, it was a bizarre feeling watching grown men (including my son) dancing up and down a pub in Camden when the equaliser went in.

On to France. The main purpose of the trip was to see memorials to two of my great-grandads, both of whom were killed in WW1. One of them doesn't have a marked grave, like so many others; there's "just" a plaque on a wall near Loos.

The other, who is a paternal great-grandad, and thus a direct link to me, was killed in Dunkirk in August 1918... 3 months before the Armistice, having volunteered for extra service when his regiment was sent home.

No-one could ever say for sure whether he was a Hibby, but he lived in Leith, and his son turned out one, so it's a fair assumption. I had my scarf with me, which was meant for a trip to Contalmaison ( which didn't happen, another story), so I draped it around the headstone. I had a word with him...." see if you're a Hibby....." etc etc. A few selfies, lots of tears, and that was that.

I got back on the day of the replay. Wasn't in the mood to go, but my younger son convinced me. Thankfully.

21st May. We're 2-1 down. I'm contemplating yet another long drive home along the M8....and we get the first of those corners.

I looked up above the South stand and said "right, great-granda, if you're a Hibby.....".

Boom.

Holy ****....this **** works!!!

So...the next corner..... I lined up:-

My great granda
    My granda
    My dad's brother
    My mum's brother
    My Australian cousin

All of them gone, and all Hibbies, but forever now known as my Famous Five.

They all delivered
    Great story. Love these
    Last edited by oneone73; 12-11-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    Let's hear it, Wullie
    Well Drew, I really had a good feeling that we were going to win on that magical day! so much so that I tried like a bear, to entice my oldest boy (aged 42 at the time) up from Wales where he stays , to join with me and my younger boy who is a couple of years younger, to join us. I was so worried, that we could not get tickets. I new I would get one but wanted another 2!! . I contacted John Doolan, and asked if he had one, or even 2 spare tickets. his reply was are you really only asking for 2 Willie ? in his Kirby scouse accent. yes John, if possible I said. he duly obliged.My oldest, could not come up or he did not make the effort, still don't know why! However, I wanted to pay JD for the tickets but he said , now way! these are part of my comps, and they are yours. Diamond!!
    I had 2 class tickets and one of my boys was sitting with me, and we were right next to a few friends of the management team, the managers relatives and just behind John Doolan's bro. when we went behind, 1-2, I was gutted and also like our manager, I had to go to the toilet! when I was coming out of the toilet I heard the roar. I was not aware if we had scored or if that mob had scored but as I got into the concourse a guy with a suit replied to me....yes mate, ye's are back in as he gave me a high five!!!!!!!. what a feeling!. I rushed back to my seat and was a bag of nerves but that was nothing compared to the feeling when we went ahead. I hugged and danced with a young lady on my right hand side, and the more I watched the replays I am sure it was the girl that puts her scarf almost round her head and face which is on many of the replays!!! . when the whistle went, and we'd won the cup I turned emotionally and grabbed my boy Neil with tears in my eyes. he is not in any way emotional upfront like his daft Da, but I am sure he knew exactly how I felt. He then said, yer no gaun doon onto the pitch are ye. I said try stopping me. All I did was run to the edge of the turf and kissed the grass then back to my seat. I apologised to the young lassie on the gate but had to do it. So sad that my oldest son could not make the effort, but I suppose he thought it might be another one of those dissapointments. how wrong he was, and he has now rubbed it in to any Hun fans down his way that he meets. ggtth

Been meaning to post on this... just remembered now!

I drove with a lifelong Hibby, my son and his pal (both Hibbies) and a Cellic fan.

We left Broughty Ferry about 10.00am and rocked up to Fratelli's Italian in Cambuslang.

Pre-match nerves aplenty among the group - bar me strangely - with only me confident of a Hibs win. I did predict 6-5 on pens, after 2-2 AET and that I'd be in an ambulance and have missed the magical moment

At HT, I was sat with the other lifelong fan, I did feel we would rue the missed chances as we had dominated .. however at 1-2 I was still confident we'd win. We were stronger in the midfield and it was starting to show.

Recall the boy next to me being distraught when we lost the lead - but I assured him we'd be dancing, hugging, kissing at some point and the Hibs would prevail.

Poor man looked ready to pass out at the thought

I was sure this was OUR time

The rest of the game still seems surreal. Despite my confidence, there was always something deep deep inside me that said I wouldn't see the Hibs win the Cup - and I cannot have been alone!

The added on time was pure hell - but the ecstasy, tears, hugs etc of full-time will never leave me.

SOL afterwards was a teary, tone-deaf sob-fest

As we made our way home we were all shattered. I had one pint back in the Royal Arch, Broughty Ferry and got home to watch the highlights .. fearful it was all a dream!

What a day! WHAT A TEAM!

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post
    I drove with a lifelong Hibby, my son and his pal (both Hibbies) and a Cellic fan.

We left Broughty Ferry about 10.00am and rocked up to Fratelli's Italian in Cambuslang.

Pre-match nerves aplenty among the group - bar me strangely - with only me confident of a Hibs win. I did predict 6-5 on pens, after 2-2 AET and that I'd be in an ambulance and have missed the magical moment

At HT, I was sat with the other lifelong fan, I did feel we would rue the missed chances as we had dominated .. however at 1-2 I was still confident we'd win. We were stronger in the midfield and it was starting to show.

Recall the boy next to me being distraught when we lost the lead - but I assured him we'd be dancing, hugging, kissing at some point and the Hibs would prevail.

The rest of the game still seems surreal. Despite my confidence, there was always something deep deep inside me that said I wouldn't see the Hibs win the Cup - and I cannot have been alone!

The added on time was pure hell - but the ecstasy, tears, hugs etc of full-time will never leave me.

As we made our way home we were all shattered. I had one pint back in the Royal Arch, Broughty Ferry and got home to watch the highlights .. fearful it was all a dream!

What a day! WHAT A TEAM!

GGTTH
    loved that story. just similar to many, no doubt but still gies me an excuse for a wee personal greet! ggtth

First post!

The day before I was clearing out a cupboard and found my dad’s old watch he was wearing when he had died suddenly a few years before. He was a Leither and lifelong Hibby. Thought I would take it with me to the game as I had tried everything else.

The bus left at 10am and headed to our regular pre Hampden haunt at Barlinnie Bowling Club staff members are always firs Class and out on pies and soup. The drink was very cheap as well. Myself oldest daughter and my two sons were in good spirits.

As we left to go to Hampden a carry out was purchased for the celebrations after. I had the usual doubts but felt more confident than previous finals. As we got off the bus I managed to cut my eye. To this day I don’t know how I did it.

My son said I must have hit it when I climbed over a railing as I left the bus. Got to the ground in plenty of timeand my eye is still bleeding. I said to a steward to see if I could get a plaster. Unfortunately the first aider thought she was a casualty doctor and assisted I go to the aid room. Where as the sterile strips were being applied a massive roar went up. I had missed the first goal.

Back to my seat and the game flashed by. At 2 2 the corner duly arrived. I got my dad’s watch out held it in my hand and said to my daughter this is it we are going to score.

The rest as they say is history. The greatest day in history.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RG63 View Post
    First post!

The day before I was clearing out a cupboard and found my dad’s old watch he was wearing when he had died suddenly a few years before. He was a Leither and lifelong Hibby. Thought I would take it with me to the game as I had tried everything else.

The bus left at 10am and headed to our regular pre Hampden haunt at Barlinnie Bowling Club staff members are always firs Class and out on pies and soup. The drink was very cheap as well. Myself oldest daughter and my two sons were in good spirits.

As we left to go to Hampden a carry out was purchased for the celebrations after. I had the usual doubts but felt more confident than previous finals. As we got off the bus I managed to cut my eye. To this day I don’t know how I did it.

My son said I must have hit it when I climbed over a railing as I left the bus. Got to the ground in plenty of timeand my eye is still bleeding. I said to a steward to see if I could get a plaster. Unfortunately the first aider thought she was a casualty doctor and assisted I go to the aid room. Where as the sterile strips were being applied a massive roar went up. I had missed the first goal.

Back to my seat and the game flashed by. At 2 2 the corner duly arrived. I got my dad’s watch out held it in my hand and said to my daughter this is it we are going to score.

Brilliant.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by RG63 View Post
    First post!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    My old man had been taken into hospital a few weeks before the final; I really don't want to go into details about it at all but if he'd been taken to hospital a few hours after he was he'd probably not have been around to see the game. He got out of hospital a handful of days before the cup final but was in no way fit to travel through to Glasgow but he insisted that I went nonetheless. I left a scotch pie in the fridge as well as some Bovril cubes for my dad to enjoy at HT when watching at home as I stayed at his overnight to try and share some of the build up with him.

Took the train through, had a good meal and a pint before the game. Found myself muttering "C'mon, c'mon, please let this stay like this" after five minutes when we were a goal up, only for the ever familiar feeling of Hampden heartbreak creep in when Kenny Miller equalised and Halliday hit the screamer. Felt as low as any other cup final beforehand when the "Cheer up Alan Stubbs" sectarian song was being sung by our counterparts opposite as it felt so, so wrong that they could get to celebrate in their vile way. The jolt of our equaliser just reignited the nerves from before and when Stokes shot in time added on was saved it just felt like extra time was almost a given.

From my view in the east it looked as if Henderson's corner had been wasted as it disappeared into a group of players. A split second later it remerged as it bulleted into the back of the net and bedlam ensued, hugging strangers around me who'd appeared from several rows behind, bursting into tears and then having the horrible, awful realisation that there was still time to play. I don't remember that much after that, apart from celebrating the cross ball intended for Tavernier going out for a goal kick.

I saw Liam Henderson sprinting, arms out wide before I heard the whistle and just broke down - when they were clearing the pitch I phoned my dad and we only were really able to laugh in disbelief down the phone at each other. Once the cup was lifted, SOL was sung and the Hibees bounce was done rushed to get the train back to Glasgow Central where I'd intended to go for a few pints but the train to pop by my dads was just away to leave in the train next to the one I'd just been on. Leapt on that, headed back to Dundee, got three fish suppers and a bottle of champagne. Knocked on the door and the game clearly meant as much to my dad as it does now. Watched the highlights on the BBC, laughed at Terry Butcher's miserable face. My dad went to bed, I went out with a friend and drank another bottle of champagne and woke up the next morning with a banging headache and literally no voice whatsoever. Watched the highlights on Hibs TV and the emotions came flooding back. Still not stopped talking about it since.

My dad's been in and out of hospital a couple of times since but is slowly on the mend - I'm just glad that his GP saw sense to get him to hospital straight away as even if he wasn't at the game I always wanted to experience the Scottish Cup win with him. Took me to my first Hibs game and quite frankly for all the years of disappointment he deserves it.

Lovely story buddy, Great your Dad seen it.

Scottish cup

The cup is on show in The GyleCentre today Saturday October 12th.Free photo with the cup if you want.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    The cup is on show in The GyleCentre today Saturday October 12th.Free photo with the cup if you want.
    Had my photo taken with it today, last time I did we won it😄
    It’s at the Gyle all day today and tomorrow
    Last edited by Billy Whizz; 16-10-2019 at 09:28 PM.

First Team Breakthrough GTMRossaK3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GTMRossaK3 View Post
    My 3 year old grandson Oliver has been a keen collector of the little Stickie figures issued free from LIDL. He has a Postman Pat stuffed toy which lives at our house and we hide a Stickie in the mailbag for each visit he makes to us. A few days before the Final LIDL launched a new series based on the European Football Championship with a figure from each competing country plus the trophy. They come in sealed pouches so you have no idea what is in each. The day before the Final I gave him his first two pouches from the new series. When he opened the first one it was the trophy! Spooky I thought. When he opened the second it was a green shirted player!! They sat on top of the TV as we watched the game with his Dad. The rest is history!
    Suggested that all these great sentimental stories should be brought together in a book and the idea gathered good support. Anyone willing to pull it all together? As I said at the time I think it would sell well at the Hibs Shop. Let’s not lose these great memories for the supporters of the future. Willing to help if necessary.

Grandson now a stunning young footballing talent!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post

What a day! WHAT A TEAM!

GGTTH
    we used to see a guy watching hibs games when we were up at Monifieth

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    So… when’s the book coming oot?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

It’s 3pm here in California , watching Scotland’s goals and had need to listen to Glory Glory from 2016. Something about that brings a tear to my eye all the time - takes me back to when I was young and thinking of the great teams that never saw the cup in the sky.

Absolutely magic