hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My son who is coming up for 6 bleeds green and white, and he knows formations etc already. I wouldn't say he got what it means to us Hibs fans to win the Scottish cup but he did know it had been 114 years.

When Ross County scored I looked at him and he had a tear running down his face. I felt horrible seeing that but being a Hibs fan I thought he will see more than his fare share of heartache. After the league cup final I posted a pic on my Facebook of us and I just said one day son we'll stand together at Hampden and see Hibs lift a cup. I was surprised to receive a PM from Marvin Bartley and all it said was "tell the wee man, we'll have him smiling come may."

I thanked him for the message and deep down I never thought I'd be heading to another Scottish cup final. But when we went to pens my son cuddled into me and couldn't watch the last pen. The roar meant he knew exactly how it went and his face was such a picture.

So then it was Scottish cup final day, all the talking we had done about how the game would go stopped. Instead it was very quiet in our car more nerves than anything. The evening news got our pic and Mason was on the BBC 1 national news as well. I thought please don't lose this not now, let us see us win it. We got in took our seat and it was just a see if green and white.

The first goal I thought was a feeling I'd never feel again, then boom 2-2 and we're right in this again. Mason said dad we are going to win this. My heart sank as I knew if we had lost he'd be a state and so would I being honest.

But up steps captain marvel Sir David Gray, and BANG.... The roof of Hampden was just about blown clean off, the noise was incredible I've grabbed my boy I feel to my knees and couldn't contain myself. All I could hear is him screaming in my ear YEEEESSSSSSS DADDY, YEEEEEEESSSS!

After that I couldn't breath, the air seemed to vanish inside the ground and I had to sit down to take this in. It Hibs after all, this could still go to E.T! Then the full time whistle and the hurt from any other final was gone, we'd done it.. We have won the Scottish Cup. I turned to Mason and there he was crying again, this time tears of joy!

I'm 38 years old, and I'll never feel like I did at those moments when we scored the third and when that whistle went. An incredible thing to see and one that gave me such a close bond to my son.

Thank you Hibernian, all the heartache we suffered made this so much more special.

We love you. 💚🇳🇬🏆

And that's me away again...

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member ano hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by THEWEEMAN View Post
    The moto PERSEVERE, has been very important to our family and my son. He was born with a lifelong health and mobility condition, and has been through many adventures in and out of hospital since he was born. He is 18. He has been through good and bad times with Hibs. The best obviously when we HIBSD it in May. My son was critical last April after having another surgery, (had that many we have lost count). Every member of his medical care team and his Dad and I, constantly used the target of us lifting the going to Hampden and lifting the cup, to aid insist recovery. He, along with myself, had every faith it would happen. He has never lost faith in the prospect of us lifting the Scottish Cup. He even predicted the score, the opposition and the winning goal scorer. To see the look on his face when Sir David and the team came through, was indescribable, especially through my 😢. The fact he has been fortunate to see us lift two cups in his lifetime, in itself is incredible. With many more to come.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    What a journey you've had in so many ways. Incredible. Thanks for sharing.
    "We've also been unsure about what has happened to the receipts of the players who have been sold."
    George Foulkes BBC website 20/3/08

I didn't go to the match and I didn't even watch it.
    For too long I'd suffered Hampden final defeats so this time I spent the weekend in a Premier Inn in Central Scotland, hoping that my sacrifice would bring them luck. And it did.
    So you can thank me for the Cup!

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar

Made it but only just.

Hi,

Brian Gallacher (62)
    Born Leith
    moved to Linlithgow 1981
    User name Linlithgowhibbie

Started the Linlithgow and District (Bo'ness) Hibs SC in 1983 and still one of the organizers.

Cup final build up included organizing 2 coaches and all that entails, ensuring everyone had got a seat and ticket, everyone knew bus times and booking a pub. Also booking a second pub after the 100 Acres let us down 48 hours before the game.
    Buses turned up on time, no problems getting there, traffic okay, everyone happy, some confident, mostly the younger ones, us older more experienced ones thinking "Ach well maybe one day!"
    Arrive at pub, great wee place put snacks on for us , beer was good atmosphere brilliant and getting better as time for our walk to Hampden got closer.
    14:15hrs last visit to the loos and off we go. Me, my wife, son, daughter, daughter in law and good mate from Swansea(originally Linlithgow).
    Half a mile along the road my pal asks what row we are in and I ask my wife for the tickets. "You've got them" she replies. "Don't wind me up" says I. "I'm not, I don't have them" says she.
    A sudden realization that 4 of our tickets had been left on the bus!!!!!
    I went white and used several expletives, something I never do in front of my family.
    Fortunately I remembered the bus driver had said he was going for a swim whilst the game was on.
    This is where I remember why I love my family.
    Daughter one googles Swimming pools in East end of Glasgow, daughter two googles bus company phone number and gets drivers mobile number. Daughter one phones nearest swimming pool and asks "Do you have a 55 seater bus in your car park" Pool staff say "Yes". Request for tannoy message to get the driver to the office. Tannoy call made and bus driver phones me 10 mins later.
    "Any chance you could get back to the pub ASAP as our tkts are on the bus?"

He then arrives at 14:50 and drives me to within 300 yards of the ground where I meet up with everyone and we all get in as the game kicks off.
    Special thanks also to my son who had offered me his ticket, my wife for being so calm and sensible, my mate from Wales who had said we could watch it in the pub no problems, and also to an unknown Hibbie who offered my family a spare ticket for nowt just before I arrived at the ground.
    As we got to our seat I KNEW it was our lucky day and what a day and night and weekend we all had.

Wish my dearly loved dad could have been with us RIP.

PS driver got a £40 tip from me, well worth every £1

What a fantastic story.
    Why on earth did it take you so long to share that with us?

Quote Originally Posted by linlithgowhibbie View Post
    Hi,

Brian Gallacher (62)
    Born Leith
    moved to Linlithgow 1981

Started the Linlithgow and District (Bo'ness) Hibs SC in 1983 and still one of the organizers.

Cup final build up included organizing 2 coaches and all that entails, ensuring everyone had got a seat and ticket, everyone knew bus times and booking a pub. Also booking a second pub after the 100 Acres let us down 48 hours before the game.
    Buses turned up on time, no problems getting there, traffic okay, everyone happy, some confident, mostly the younger ones, us older more experienced ones thinking "Ach well maybe one day!"
    Arrive at pub, great wee place put snacks on for us , beer was good atmosphere brilliant and getting better as time for our walk to Hampden got closer.
    14:15hrs last visit to the loos and off we go. Me, my wife, son, daughter, daughter in law and good mate from Swansea(originally Linlithgow).
    Half a mile along the road my pal asks what row we are in and I ask my wife for the tickets. "You've got them" she replies. "Don't wind me up" says I. "I'm not, I don't have them" says she.
    I went white and used several expletives, something I never do in front of my family.
    Fortunately I remembered the bus driver had said he was going for a swim whilst the game was on.
    Daughter one googles Swimming pools in East end of Glasgow, daughter two googles bus company phone number and gets drivers mobile number. Daughter one phones nearest swimming pool and asks "Do you have a 55 seater bus in your car park" Pool staff say "Yes". Request for tannoy message to get the driver to the office. Tannoy call made and bus driver phones me 10 mins later.

He then arrives at 14:50 and drives me to within 300 yards of the ground where I meet up with everyone and we all get in as the game kicks off.
    Special thanks also to my son who had offered me his ticket, my wife for being so calm and sensible, my mate from Wales who had said we could watch it in the pub no problems, and also to an unknown Hibbie who offered my family a spare ticket for nowt just before I arrived at the ground.
    As we got to our seat I KNEW it was our lucky day and what a day and night and weekend we all had.

Fabulous

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linlithgowhibbie View Post
    Hi,

Brian Gallacher (62)
    Born Leith
    moved to Linlithgow 1981

that's a brilliant story, the wonders of modern technology eh?

Testimonial Due

Missed my first cup final in 44 years

I moved to Singapore on the 2nd of January. OnSunday the 7th February I met this beautiful woman in a café and we are now an item. After a great day with her, watched the game at Tynecastle on Hibs TV, at 2-0 down I changed into my pajamas. At 2-1 and because of the delay in transmission I got a Whatsapp from a friend when Hanlon equalized. I knew what was coming on the delayed feed! Put my clothes on and went to the corner bar – now past midnight in Singapore but Chinese New Year. Got drunk and sang Hibs songs much to amusement of the locals.

On cup final day I was in the remote north of the Philippines with my woman. I got the time difference wrong and when I switched on my phone and logged into BBC Sport it was one nil Hibs. We went to bed and I followed the game on my phone. When it went 2-1 switched my phone off thinking I am not jinx after all! I woke up at 5am in the morning and switched my phone expecting 3-1 or 4-1 to them. I jumped out of bed sang and woke her up, got coffee and watched the goals and celebrations like I do almost every day now. Tears filled my eyes as they still do. Her family wondered why I was so happy and I told them the story of our 114 year wait and showed them the videos. They immediately declared it a party and we hired a karaoke and I sang 500 miles. Never going to a cup final again but will be back as my middle son bought me a 12thman package for my 60th. Hope it’s against them and I will have 2016 on my shirt or maybe 0 -7. I can die happy now. After the Hearts and Celtic finals and blowing it against Falkirk in the semi I thought that was it!
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 11-08-2017 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    What a fantastic story.
    Why on earth did it take you so long to share that with us?
    Didn't quite know how to put it into words

Quote Originally Posted by IanFaeClerrie View Post
    Fabulous

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    Fabulous? I could have killed him!!

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Fabulous? I could have killed him!!
    There may have been a couple of folk in front of you for that !!!!!

First Team Regular WestSideHibby's Avatar
    Fabulous? It most certainly was not! Always good to have a story to tell I suppose tho...

(And believe it or not that's the abridged version)

Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    I moved to Singapore on the 2nd of January. OnSunday the 7th February I met this beautiful woman in a café and weare now an item. After a great day with her, watched the game at Tynecastle on Hibs TV, at 2-0 down I changed into my pajamas. At 2-1 and because of the delayin transmission I got a Whatsapp from a friend when Hanlon equalized. I knew what was coming on the delayed feed! Put my clothes on and went to the corner bar – now past midnight in Singapore but Chinese New Year. Got drunk and sang Hibs songs much to amusement of the locals.

On cup final day I was in the remote north of the Philippines with my woman. I got the time difference wrong and when I switched on my phone and logged into BBC Sport it was one nil Hibs. We went to bed and I followed the game on my phone. When it went 2-I switched my phone off thinking I am not jinx after all! I woke up at 5am in the morning and switched my phone expecting3-1 or 4-1 to them. I jumped out of bed sang and woke her up, got coffee and watched the goals and celebrations like I do almost every day now. Tears filledmy eyes as they still do. Her family wondered why I was so happy and I told them the story of our 114 year wait and showed them the videos. They immediately declared it a party and we hired a karaoke and I sang 500 miles. Never going to a cup final again but will be back as my middle son bought me a 12thman package for my 60th. Hope it’s against them and I will have 2016 on my shirt or maybe 0 -7. I can die happy now. After the Hearts and Celtic finals and blowing it against Falkirk in the semi I thought that was it!
    Great story !

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Every story is absolutely unique and wonderful to read. Thank you for sharing them.

I was fed up with seeing us getting gubbed at Hampden. The Ross County final was a clincher.

So, come the Scottish Cup Final I elected to take a long weekend with my wife and we went to Stirling.

We visited the Stirling Albion ground and were given a guided tour by the manager. He gave me some old programmes of Stirling v Hibs matches and wished us well for the final.

On the day itself we went to the museum in Stirling and I was perusing an exhibit about the pewter industry when my mate texted me to say that Rangers were 2-1 up.

The old story I thought and we went for a walk around Stirling Castle.

Then he texted me to say 2-2 and shortly after 3-2.

Shortly after that he said Hibs had won the cup. I was standing on the battlements when I heard and looking over to the west and the landscape there.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I was fed up with seeing us getting gubbed at Hampden. The Ross County final was a clincher.

So, come the Scottish Cup Final I elected to take a long weekend with my wife and we went to Stirling.

We visited the Stirling Albion ground and were given a guided tour by the manager. He gave me some old programmes of Stirling v Hibs matches and wished us well for the final.

On the day itself we went to the museum in Stirling and I was perusing an exhibit about the pewter industry when my mate texted me to say that Rangers were 2-1 up.

The old story I thought and we went for a walk around Stirling Castle.

Then he texted me to say 2-2 and shortly after 3-2.

Shortly after that he said Hibs had won the cup. I was standing on the battlements when I heard and looking over to the west and the landscape there.
    ....and? You ran up to the top of the battlements and screamed your head off, then headed east for a Big Night in Leith?

Small but vivid memory for me. After the final whistle and sol there was recital of the old glory glory song with names of famous five.

Always loved that song.

Hearing it being sung and realizing we had won something that had alluded those greats was and still is a highlight of many highlights from that day.

First Team Breakthrough Risboro Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Hibees View Post
    Small but vivid memory for me. After the final whistle and sol there was recital of the old glory glory song with names of famous five.

Always loved that song.

Hearing it being sung and realizing we had won something that had alluded those greats was and still is a highlight of many highlights from that day.
    Same for me BAH. As a 10 and 11 year old laddie always used to love playing GGTTH on my sisters' record player especially belting out I only want to say the 'Scottish cup is in the bag'. Really thought then it would not be long till I really did see it. So to belt it out all over again for real at the age of 60 was a real emotional part of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    ....and? You ran up to the top of the battlements and screamed your head off, then headed east for a Big Night in Leith?
    No but I fielded loads of texts Etc.

I couldn't really believe it.

My son and I attended the procession at the top of The Walk.

I've been through it with Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Risboro Hibby View Post
    Same for me BAH. As a 10 and 11 year old laddie always used to love playing GGTTH on my sisters' record player especially belting out I only want to say the 'Scottish cup is in the bag'. Really thought then it would not be long till I really did see it. So to belt it out all over again for real at the age of 60 was a real emotional part of the day.
    Great stuff
    Good to know wasn't just me ;)

First Team Breakthrough GTMRossaK3's Avatar

Talking Incredible coincidence

My 3 year old grandson Oliver has been a keen collector of the little Stickie figures issued free from LIDL. He has a Postman Pat stuffed toy which lives at our house and we hide a Stickie in the mailbag for each visit he makes to us. A few days before the Final LIDL launched a new series based on the European Football Championship with a figure from each competing country plus the trophy. They come in sealed pouches so you have no idea what is in each. The day before the Final I gave him his first two pouches from the new series. When he opened the first one it was the trophy! Spooky I thought. When he opened the second it was a green shirted player!! They sat on top of the TV as we watched the game with his Dad. The rest is history!

First Team Breakthrough GTMRossaK3's Avatar
    By the way I think it would be a great idea to collate all these stories in a publication for posterity. I'm sure the Hibs Shop would gladly sell them. I've a back up photo of my grandson with the two Stickies if you need it!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by GTMRossaK3 View Post
    By the way I think it would be a great idea to collate all these stories in a publication for posterity. I'm sure the Hibs Shop would gladly sell them. I've a back up photo of my grandson with the two Stickies if you need it!
    I am at the hotel in the Philippines I was at on cup final day. Take a pic but sure a lucky omen!

Left by mutual consent!
    When the Huns scored the second I went for a cig outside the back of the east stand, after so many fails I had lost hope. Saw one guy and his kid leaving the ground and for a second had the same thought, others were equally despondent, but I went back in. Was standing in the back row when Stokes got his second and was hugging and dancing with a guy my age with a mixture of joy and disbelief. I now decided my original seat near the corner flag was unlucky and stayed where I was. When Gray scored it was a truly surreal moment. My only comparison was when Latapy made it 6-1 in 2000, that was intense, but I was suddenly aware I was watching not just a football game but history. The joy was overflowing. When the whistle went it seemed I was carried down the aisle by a human wave of euphoria and joy and onto the pitch. We didn't just win it, we won it in dramatic and poetic style and broke the biggest hoodoo in Scottish football. Ggtth. I shed a tear.
    Last edited by JackLadd; 09-02-2017 at 07:42 AM.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    On cup final day my wife was out in Stirling shopping and gets back to the car turns on the radio and Hibs are 1-2 down. She looks down to her wrist and spots the lucky elephant bracelet that my eldest daughter gave her and she starts to rub one of the elephants. Lo and behold up pops Stoksey to equalise!! So the Mrs now thinks she can't move and stop rubbing the elephant so she sits in the car rubbing the elephant for the rest of the match as she listened on the radio. What happens next as we all know is the stuff of legends as Sir David nods in to make it 3-2 to the good guys. By this time she is bricking it and terrified to stop rubbing the elephant in case our luck changes again. Thankfully the elephant came good and 114 years of pain was ended. She still believes she had a big hand in our win on 21/05/16. Who knows, maybe she did.

Born in Livingston but Hibs only team for me. Nearly never went to the game as old man didn't fancy it, reckon he thought we'd get a doing. Wouldn't have been there if there wasn't a "suspect package" found in the toilet at Old Trafford the week before when I went down to watch United vs Bournemouth with him, had 4 hours in the car home to convince him it was worth the £42 for the unsold hospitality tickets... worth every penny

To the Mods.

I spent much of the afternoon typing out my story, went out for a while, came back and it seems to have been scrubbed. When I was doing this it comes up with an 'Autosave' icon. Does this mean that it's saved somewhere and can retrieve it?

Took me bl**dy ages!

First Team Breakthrough

My Final

Our bus stopped off at a bowling club for a light refreshment before the game. I'd had a bet on the previous night so checked my phone to see if it had won. It had and the new amount in my account was £333.33. My late mother, a lifelong Hibs fan from Redbraes was born on the 3rd of March 1933, not quite the same as £333.33 but close enough. Now I know everyone looks for their own sign that this was going to be Hibs' year but this HAD to be the ultimate one. I showed my wife, brother and rest of the family and have to say I had to go outside as I got a bit emotional. I managed to get my act together helped by a few medicinal vodkas and we made our way to the game. As we walked up the stairs I thought I'd just go for a pee before the game started. Walked out from the loo to the back row where our seats were just in time to see a ball at the far end roll into the net! The crowd erupted and after a couple of seconds it dawned on me what had happened and I was off again. I sat outside the back of the stand for the next 5 minutes trying to take it in. I hadn't even seen any of my friends or family. When I got back in to my seat, and even when we went behind, there was a different feeling to previous Finals. There was a belief in the supporters. When Stokes scored the equaliser, for the next 10 minutes my wife repeated over and over 3 3 33!....3 3 33!....3 3 33! The people around her must have thought she was mental, but we knew what she was doing. After Sir David's winner she doubled her efforts until the whistle blew signalling a famous victory. We cried then, and there's a tear in my eye even now.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac_Refvik View Post
    Our bus stopped off at a bowling club for a light refreshment before the game. I'd had a bet on the previous night so checked my phone to see if it had won. It had and the new amount in my account was £333.33. My late mother, a lifelong Hibs fan from Redbraes was born on the 3rd of March 1933, not quite the same as £333.33 but close enough. Now I know everyone looks for their own sign that this was going to be Hibs' year but this HAD to be the ultimate one. I showed my wife, brother and rest of the family and have to say I had to go outside as I got a bit emotional. I managed to get my act together helped by a few medicinal vodkas and we made our way to the game. As we walked up the stairs I thought I'd just go for a pee before the game started. Walked out from the loo to the back row where our seats were just in time to see a ball at the far end roll into the net! The crowd erupted and after a couple of seconds it dawned on me what had happened and I was off again. I sat outside the back of the stand for the next 5 minutes trying to take it in. I hadn't even seen any of my friends or family. When I got back in to my seat, and even when we went behind, there was a different feeling to previous Finals. There was a belief in the supporters. When Stokes scored the equaliser, for the next 10 minutes my wife repeated over and over 3 3 33!....3 3 33!....3 3 33! The people around her must have thought she was mental, but we knew what she was doing. After Sir David's winner she doubled her efforts until the whistle blew signalling a famous victory. We cried then, and there's a tear in my eye even now.
    Love this. Thanks for sharing.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac_Refvik View Post
    Crying myself. Prone to such behaviour myself. Life as a Hibs fans does the strangest things to you.