hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Standing there with my family, especially my dad along with all the folk ive been going to the football with since I was a wee kid watching us lift it was very very special. We've all been through a lot together as hibs fans, highs and lows so it was brilliant to be altogether.

My dad raised me as an absolute die in the wool hibs fan, has been taking me along to ER since I was wee. When the final whistle went, we just started hugging each other and crying, it meant so much to be there with him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Newcastlehibby's Avatar
    I also began to support/follow Hibs in the mid 60s. I saw some fantastic European action, beating Celtic in the 72 League Cup at Hampden and standing in the enclosure at Tynecastle on 1st January 1973. In January 1977 I left Edinburgh to work in Newcastle, met Mrs P and stayed there but my love of Hibs never died. My attendance has been somewhat irregular since then!!
    21st May began as a day of coincidences. I went to the Polmadie area to park my car and saw Hickman St. My old boss in the Highwayman Pub in St Andrews Square bus station was called Bill Hickman, so I parked there. I then walked in the wrong direction and ended up in a very nice street called Newlands Road. I live in Newlands Avenue. Slightly spooky.
    I was stuck with a ticket behind the goals in the East stand, area G4 where I prefer not to be but the way Hibs released the tickets, I had no choice.
    I made my way up to the ground and was approached by a young guy standing with a wee boy. He asked me if I had a ticket in the East that I might be willing to swap for a ticket in the North, so he could at least sit near his son who was in F something. His North ticket was in row QQ so I was ecstatic. He didn't want the extra £10 his ticket cost compared with mine but I insisted he take it as that is what I had intended to pay anyway. It felt like the right thing to do.
    I could not believe my luck and as I took my new seat opposite the 6 yard box, I was more convinced than ever that this was going to be our day.
    I was very glad that I had the foresight to put a hanky in my coat pocket.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Can I make a couple of requests?
    1. Is there any chance this thread could be stickied? Do we do that any more?
    2. Can people e-mail me their stories rather than posting them here? Or e-mail me as well? That makes it much easier for me to collate. Include your Name, Age, Location, Social Media / Forum Name, and of course your story (with a story title if you want one e.g., "My Trip to Hampden").

Initially I suggested stories of 500 words or less because I figured that would be equivalent of one page in Word. I Just tested that and got about 720 words but obviously that depends on font size, etc. I don't think we need to be that strict but the way I envision this is each story being on it's on page - one per page. I'm open to suggestions as well. If you've already got your story written (some people have already written blogs) then I don't know that you need to edit it down, but I think that people would enjoy reading through lots of shorter stories rather than your complete life history leading up to this moment. So just send me what you have, we'll take a look at what we get and take it from there.

Here's something that occurred to me the other night. Be discreet. That probably goes without saying but has to be said. If your story includes other people, be sure that they won't object to being included in your story.

Thread Stuck.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thread Stuck.
    Thanks very much. I see e-mails starting to flow in. I want to strike while the iron is hot.....before the mindset of Friday 13th kicks in again. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    Thanks very much. I see e-mails starting to flow in. I want to strike while the iron is hot.....before the mindset of Friday 13th kicks in again. :-)
    Mine on its way in about 60 seconds, Max
    This is how it feels

Mine sent

Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    When is the latest that you want any stories, Max?

'Twas the night before Hampden when all through the house
    Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
    The Hibs scarfs were hung in the bedrooms with care,
    And Hibs shirts all ironed and hung on a chair

The children were nestled all snug in their beds;
    While dads and big brothers were all thinking ahead
    Of tomorrow's big game and of who Stubbsy might start
    Conrad Logan in goals they were sure he'd play a big part.

Lewis Stevenson on the left flank , David Gray on the right
    Behind them Paul Hanlon with all of his might
    Beside him Darren McGregor and Liam Fontaine
    Both built like a massive old fashioned steam train.

Then Fraser Fyvie brought into the ruck
    Complimented by the skilled touches of Dylan McGeouch
    And what can we say about that lad John McGinn
    I truly don't know where I should begin

Jason Cummings our striker out on the left
    Anthony Stokes Is on fire with a touch oh so deft.
    The subs Oxley, Keatings and Boyle didn't start
    Gunnarsson, Dagnall,Henderson and that man we call Bart

In the 3rd minute Stokes raced towards the Hun goal
    And dispatches a shot into the net it did roll
    The HIBEES in the East stand arose just as one
    It looked like Stokes could score goals for fun

The Huns scored two without any reply
    But with ten minutes remaining Hendos corner flew by
    To be met by Stokesy who headered the ball into the net
    And a Grandstand finish was sure to be set.

Injury time came and David Gray forced a throw in
    He looked up and who should he see but McGinn
    He threw the ball to Fyvie who was in front of the Hibs stand
    He passed it to Stokesy who was denied by a hand

The corner was taken by Liam Hendersons right boot
    We all hoped it would go to Stokesy who we knew would just shoot
    But it landed for Captain Fantastic David Gray
    He bulleted a header which took 114 years away
    As the net bulged and billowed with the force of the ball
    The HIBEES had answered their fans pleading call
    On fingernails some Hibbys who began just to chew
    Waited on the final whistle for a minute or two
    And then the sound of the refs whistle a delight just to hear
    The last time we'd won it 1902 was the year
    It was when Man Utd used to be Newton Heath
    But today all we care about is that there's Sunshine on Leith.

I'll not lie, I was in floods of tears on Saturday at the full time whistle yet I've never been happier in all my life.

I attended my first Hibs game (having just moved to Scotland) on the 14th November 1987: a 1-0 over Motherwell, and immediately fell in love with the club, it's colours, it's support, it's history and so much more.

I didn't truly appreciate the almost life changing effect my visit to Easter Road that day would have on my life, but in the ensuing years I've lived and breathed every heartbreaking moment of the trials and tribulations of Hibernian Football Club: the countless derby defeats, the repeated cup final defeats, the constant ribbing from opposition support, the inane ability to consistently snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, relegation, record defeats, even fighting to save the very existence of our club at one point.

Saturday, at 4:52pm all the raw emotion and pent up frustration was finally released in this very moment, and after a 114 years of repeated failure I finally realised I was living the dream and that I was experiencing what so many haven't and never will.

Every single moment of pain that Hibernian Football Club have inflicted upon me was worth it all for Saturday.

It truly was the happiest day of my life!

GGTTH

After yet another heartbreaking defeat, my dad asked me why I was still a Hibs fan. I looked at him and said 'because I'm a good son - for me there was no other choice'.

A few years on, and I've spent the past couple of years in living in Australia and New Zealand. I flew home to surprise my dad on the eve of the Scottish Cup final. Because my arrival was a secret, I wasn't able to sit next to him at Hampden, but we soaked up the prematch atmosphere together. When the full time whistle blew, and the Hibs fans made their way onto the pitch, I was able to make my way across the stadium and join my old man for Sunshine on Leith and the rest of the celebrations.

Nothing will ever top flying 14,000 miles, from Queenstown, to Auckland, to Sydney, to Dubai, to Manchester, to Glasgow just to see Hibs win the cup.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    I am not starting mine until it's finished, but also I would like assurances of anonymity to avoid law suits. 😎

First Team Breakthrough
    Excellent poem, Aitcheffsee. Really liked, quote,
    "But it landed for Captain Fantastic, David Gray
    He bulleted a header which took 114 years away."
    Awesome!

Gamer IDs

Folks, I will trawl through this thread as well but please email me to make things a little easier. Details elsewhere in this thread.

I will start this weekend, bounce some ideas of my editor (GG) :-) and take things from there.

at the weekend wid be delighted to put a few words doon

Gamer IDs

Sorry for the delay folks. Keep sending me your stories. I will go through this thread to make sure nothing is missed but e-mail is appreciated for ease of collection.

Posted on another thread, but.........

I was overcome with a sense of deep foreboding as Hibs were trailing der hun by 2 goals to 1 on a sunny afternoon in Hampden park. When Stokes scored the equaliser it was as if a tsunami of relief washed over me and I knew we were still in this game. My daughter was telling me "we can do this" repeatedly whilst I was just praying we could make it to extra time. Then we got a corner. Henderson hits a sublime ball into the penalty area and Gray just attacks it. When the ball hits the net I am no longer a mere mortal. My daughter and I hug each other as if it's our final moments on this planet. Except we are jumping and leaping up and down, bouncing on waves of ecstasy and she is crying tears of joy that would melt your heart: I can't help but raise my eyes to the heavens and tell my Dad that we've done it. I break off from our embrace before I become a quivering wreck and am immediately hugged by an unknown Hibby and we dance around together yelling YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS at the top of our voices for what seems like an awful long time to be cuddling a stranger. Afterwards I notice out of the corner of my eye that both my daughter and myself have our hands over our mouths, frightened to breathe as it might disturb the magic we have just witnessed. In answer to my prayers I see John McGinn pick the ball up and realise it's over - we've done it. I have witnessed many joyous occasions in what has been a largely fruitful and happy life and yet nothing prepared me for this. A greater feeling of euphoria, jubilation, exultation, rapture, a veritable transport of delight I have never before encountered in all my days. Later on in the evening at Middletons bar in Easter Road we are drinking more than can be possibly good for ones well being, singing songs and dancing in the street. As I stand looking around me a guy with a huge Hibs flag rolled over his shoulders stands beside me, shakes my hand and says "drink it in, drink all this in, you will never see it again in your lifetime" and departs with a smile. The drummer and guys from section 43 turn up and so does the frenzied singing, dancing and merriment. A man in the pub opens a carrier bag to reveal a piece of the hallowed turf and people dutifully stroke it, as though it could guarantee a lottery win. I know I have drunk too much, expressed more raw emotion than an average man would like to admit to, and yet I would not change one second of it for anything in the world. I was there. I know most of you were as well. Remember that day, for it will never happen again.

GGTTH

As all cup finals are this was nerve-wracking from the offset. From standing in my work using their wifi to watch the penalties against DUFC onto using my works wifi again (there's a theme) to get tickets at the start of wave 2. It's fair to say the build up and the match were no less nervy.

In the week building up to the game I had butterflies in the stomach constantly and would wake up each day with Turnbulls Tornadoes in my head.
    On the day of the match I was kitted out in my retro top that I wore to a certain game in 2012 (my thinking was it can't get any worse) and I set off to meet a friend at platform 5 at haymarket, a couple of quick pints were had before heading off for our "luxury coaches", unfortunately these coaches were less luxury and more double decker. Once aboard the yellow double decker buses we were advised the club we were going to would be charging for entry as well, would anything go right today?

Once we arrived at the club several drinks were had and lots of chat about how "today feels different" then it was back onto the bus to hampden. After several pints and rums I was feeling enthused and enjoying the pre match bounce. Once the game started the nerves were back.
    Couldn't have asked for a better start for the first time in my life we were leading a Scottish cup final, me and a friend ended up falling down the seats in front of us and celebrated the goal lying on the floor with our arms and legs in the air haha.
    As rangers came back into the game I started to get the feeling of here we go again, then Halliday hits a peach...I sunk into my seat and was devastated.
    The hope was brought back when stokesy equalised and they took Waghorn off, I remember saying to a friend that this was it, it was going to happen.....then it happened the greatest moment as a hibs fan I have ever experienced, jumping up and down as the corner was giving shouting please please please. The moment the ball hit the net it was sheer pandemonium, jumping around, hugging people i have never met in my life....then it hit home I sunk back into my seat and burst into tears, the tears continued on to the final whistle and way beyond. I phoned my mum who was looking after my daughter that day, she had brought me up to be a hibs fan and we had STs for years together. I just cried down the phone saying we've done it, we've bloody done it.

After I finally stopped crying the post match was special....SOL being sung better than ever before and seeing the hibees finally lift the holy grail.

I'll not bore you with the post match celebration let's just say it involved plenty alcohol and lasted 3 days.

As a football fan this was the greatest day of my life and one that will never be beaten.

Without being too personal I had the Mrs eyes popping like champagne corks all week after that.

Finally she's taking an interest in Hibs.

13243734_10209916342568198_8554272101159244312_o.jpg13221636_10209916345848280_5808290251383465882_n.jpg

Daughter grew up in the US, her pal over for a visit and they go to the final. American pal thinks this happens every week. Met Leigh in Harthill on the way home.
    Last edited by IanFaeClerrie; 07-06-2016 at 12:47 PM.

THAT day was different.
    Firstly, my brother decided to fly home from Kuala Lumpa for the final. He wasn't at all the other recent losing finals.
    On an impulse I picked up a picture of my Grandad who died suddenly as a youngish man way back in 1960. He was a Leither through and through and probably the reason our family are all Hibees. The picture was put in my back pocket so in effect we had four generations going to the game - my Grandad, my dad, me and my brother plus my two teenage sons.
    We were also on a different supporters bus as the usual bus always ended up with misery on the way home.
    So off we set but soon into the journey the driver tells us the bus is overheating and he is stopping in Livingston to await a replacement vehicle. Fortunately he stopped outside a pub so we all trooped in for refreshments !
    It was agreed we would stay where we were and pass on the visit to Shettleston Juniors where we were booked in.
    We were all happy with this at this change of routine, it was a good sign or so we kept reassuring ourselves.
    So a few hours later we climbed into the new bus to get to Hampden. Once there we got parked up with help from the polis and my brother discovered we were right beside a flat he stayed in during the 1980's while at Uni so we trooped round to it so he could get a picture at its front door. No idea why but again it was different !
    Our ticket arrangements were different this time as well. My dad and I had tickets for the South Stand while my boys and brother were in the East. Usually we are all together.
    A family hug beside the rank food vans outside Hampden and we split up to get in at our different turnstiles. We agreed to meet at the same place after the game hoping our big change of cup final habits would bring a different result.
    Five minutes in and Stoksey was on fire and terrified their defence as they let him run in unopposed to score. First time I had ever seen Hibs in the lead in a Scottish Cup final. Fantastic start and feeling.
    As we all know now despite being the better team with numerous chances we were two-one down with 10 minutes to go. That familiar sick feeling was returning.
    A few minutes later Liam Henderson takes a corner right in front of us and Stoksey nods it in and it's crazy in the stands. It was now the first time I had seen Hibs score two goals in a Scottish Cup final. Game on again.
    And then into injury time it's another corner right in front of us. The noise just seemed to get louder and louder and as Liam Henderson fired in another pin point cross it seemed like a green and white exocet missile launched itself at the ball and it flew into the net. Cue absolute bedlam on a scale I have never seen or witnessed before and unfortunately I don't think will ever see again.
    For the remaining two minutes my dad and I just hugged each other and I kept on saying "We're gonna win it, we're gonna win it" and then it was over. Similar to all of us it was an indescribable feeling of euphoria.
    It was the first time any of us had seen Hibernian win the Scottish Cup.
    Later after the Cup was awarded I pulled out the picture of my Grandad and showed it to my dad saying "your dads here and he seen us win the cup too". My dad just burst into tears as he really thought at age 69 he was never going to see this happen.
    Back to the meeting point and this time a mad celebration group hug with my boys and brother.
    THAT day was definitely different and it was the best ever !

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Starting following the Hibees in the mid sixties which kicked off with a big win against Stirling Albion at Easter Road. Back in the late sixties and early seventies was a great experience being a Hibby with wonderful European nights under the Easter Road floodlights and witnessing that 5-0 win against Napoli. Leeds United, Hamburg, Liverpool and other big names came a calling with mixed results but I wouldn't have missed any of them for the world.

I would like to say that it was my dad who was the reason for my passion for all things Hibernian but it wasn't. In fact in October 1969 when I was thirteen he told me that there was no way that I was travelling through to Ibrox to watch the Hibs. Mighty glad that I gave him the slip and went as the Hibees cuffed them that day 3-1. By accident I was the only Hibs supporter in their end but I still celebrated all three goals.

Best day of seeing the Hibees was at Hampden on Saturday when we eventually lifted the holy grail. Went with my brother and sister and had a truly great day out.

There was a Scottish fitba annual out around that time, which showed a pencil-thin Peter Marinello celebrating one of his two goals at the Copland Road end. It clearly showed a Hibs fan jumping up and down at the foot of that end. was that you and did you get leathered as a consequence of your joy?

Gamer IDs

Just another note to say THANKS to everyone who has provided stories so far. I haven't had an opportunity to do much but I will not let this project slip away. I won't let you down. :)

Unhappy My story

How do you copy and paste from a Word document?

It doesn't seem to work.

My story

Ahh, got it now!!!

My story

I have really enjoyed reading the forums for the past three weeks. I starting reading everyone’s posts a couple of days leading up to the final (on other threads of course), and since then, I have wanted to post my own Scottish Cup story. So, here it is:

It started on Friday 20th May. I was out with my workmates in central Edinburgh [Grassmarket] and was having a bit to eat and a few drinks. One of my mates, a big Hibs fan, was excited about the upcoming game as very much as I was. Just a drink or two into the sunny evening, one of my best mates called me on my mobile. My best mate isn’t really interested in football, but he invited me to go to his house for the Cup final on Saturday afternoon; his other mate – a Hibee – was going to be there also. I said I would think about it, and get back to him.

Anyway, Friday was a good night out for a few bevvies, and on Saturday morning, I got myself off to the local gym/leisure centre. I did a couple of hours, and then came home. On the way home, I bought the Edinburgh Evening News, with the front page headline “Make History, Boys”. Of course, like so many of us, I was doubtful our wonderful club would break the 114 year hoodoo. Despite this, I thought, yes, it’s got to happen sometime in the future – why not now? Anyway, my mate came round, and picked me and my youngest son (he’s 11) up and took us back to his house. When we got there, he put on the spicy chicken wings in the oven, got the beer and red wine out, and along with his other mate, we sat down to watch the final.

Unfortunately, despite trying hard, I couldn’t get any tickets for the final at Hampden, but I thought – well, here I am with my son, my best mate and another fellow Hibee sat down in front of BBC’s Cup final coverage – so it’s gonna be a good afternoon (hopefully, I thought).

After the build-up, the game got under way, and before we had a chance to settle in, Stokesy came up with a wonderfully ‘passed’ finish, beyond the Rangers goalkeeper. 1-0 after 3 minutes or so! Brilliant – we were all happy (even my mate was happy - who doesn’t bother with football normally – he merely wanted Hibs to win, even if it was just to smash the 114-year hoodoo) – but, of course, there was a long way to go. Miller equalised, and we were all a bit down, but being Hibs, we accepted this part and parcel of our season. Hibs were the better side in the first half, and the whole team played well; in particular Stokes, who had terrorised the Rangers defence during the first 45. We had our chicken wings just before half-time, and more beer (soft drinks for my son, of course!), and wondered what the 2nd half would bring.

When Halliday struck, we all thought (well, I did anyway) – “Oh, here we go again. Same old story….” However, despite Rangers having good possession for a decent part of that 2nd half, we were all still hopeful. And my goodness, what a sense of relief when Stokes got our 2nd goal from a wonderful delivery from Henderson! We went mad, but knew we still had to score again. I just remember feeling - well, at least we have come back from a losing position, and showed some resilience!

Before the game, I had said that I would put my HD video camera on for the last five minutes of the game, just to catch our reaction, in the event that Hibs scored a late winner. Unfortunately, our fabulous winning goal by David Gray didn’t register on video – I was too wound up in the game and forgot about it. But wow, when that goal went in, the whole house shook – we were all mad men (and mad boy!) – we couldn’t believe it!!! It was at that point that I started recording the video, and I placed it in such a way that you see some of the TV and the four of us, sitting on the couch and chair, anticipating a momentous occasion.

When the final whistle blew (and it seemed a mini-eternity), we erupted in joy! It was such an unbelievable moment that my best mate’s friend had his head in his hands, a stunned look on his face, and he said, “I just can’t believe it. I just can’t believe that just happened!”

It was an incredible afternoon, it really was. To have that dramatic late goal from David Gray ranks as one of the best weekends of my life. It was that good!

On Sunday, my son and I watched and recorded (also took photos) of the victory parade, starting up at the city chambers, and then we followed it all the way down to the Links. An absolutely incredible day – sun shining on Leith as a bonus! – and we got lots of photos and HD video!

I can’t imagine having another football weekend like that again.

Just incredible!!!

@hibs.net private member ano hibby's Avatar
    Sent you this by email:

Of course the events of 21st May were simply unforgettable but I'd like to focus on some of the now iconic events leading up to That day in May. The road started in Kirkcaldy and it was fitting that Leither and The Rangers player of the previous year last came off the bench and scored our first goal of the campaign. Daren McGregor of course. King Dom then scored a peach in the top corner and it was fitting he played a part in this great story. We were on our way. It continued to get better. Hearts were 2 up with 10 to play and could have continued the hurt going to 115 years. Alas they didn't...nae luck Jambos!! Former Jambo and Hibs top scorer Jason Cummings headed home the first and then lifelong Hibby Paul Hanlon netted a last minute equaliser. We hadn't celebrated a goal like that in a long long time. I thought I was hugging my sons who were with me but it ended up being a guy who had ended up 5/6 rows forward such was the bedlam. Singing the McGinn song as we left the Roseburn end it really felt this team had a special spirit about them. How true that was to be. The home Derby was the only game we missed in the cup run as we were in Austria on holiday. We listened/watched on a combination of Hibs TV and Periscope in a hotel room with my 2 sons and my daughters boyfriend, a Jambo. We were diplomatic in our celebrations and thanked him for releasing match winner Jason Cummings to us. No asterisk against our cup win unlike their financially doped versions. The home ICT game was a great battle with another released Jambo, James Keatings scoring our goal. It was a great away support which travelled up to Inverness a few days after League Cup final heartbreak. Stokesy did the business and history was made with Oxleys booking which led to the inspired signing of Logan. When we turned up early at Hampden for the semi I texted a few pals saying 'wait until you see the nick of our goalie!'. Boy can appearances be deceptive. Logan was absolutely inspired and a deserved MOM. A word for our penalty takers, Hanlon, McGinn, Boyle and of course JC who swept us through.
    That day was unforgettable from start to finish. I had my 2 boys with me as well as my brother, nephew and good mate from school, CJ. Every player including subs delivered with of course Stokes & Gray getting the main plaudits and Stubbs made the subs at the right times. Everyone a hero, a legend of our great club. The Saturday night in Leith and all day Sunday were just as good as the game. The atmosphere, the outpouring of joy & emotion, the tens of thousands of people celebrating, the pubs all absolutely jumping with Stokesy on fire, the McGinn song but also Jimmy Boco and Super Joe Tortolano songs got airings amongst others. The feeling of being there whilst we got the monkey of our backs, coming from behind to win against the new club in the 92nd minute. I mean...simply incredible. Writing this weeks later the feeling of euphoria has barely dimmed helped by others stories and all the YouTube etc clips. I will never tire of watching them.

When Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup I was there.
    "We've also been unsure about what has happened to the receipts of the players who have been sold."
    George Foulkes BBC website 20/3/08

Quote Originally Posted by ano hibby View Post
    Sent you this by email:

Of course the events of 21st May were simply unforgettable but I'd like to focus on some of the now iconic events leading up to That day in May. The road started in Kirkcaldy and it was fitting that Leither and The Rangers player of the previous year last came off the bench and scored our first goal of the campaign. Daren McGregor of course. King Dom then scored a peach in the top corner and it was fitting he played a part in this great story. We were on our way. It continued to get better. Hearts were 2 up with 10 to play and could have continued the hurt going to 115 years. Alas they didn't...nae luck Jambos!! Former Jambo and Hibs top scorer Jason Cummings headed home the first and then lifelong Hibby Paul Hanlon netted a last minute equaliser. We hadn't celebrated a goal like that in a long long time. I thought I was hugging my sons who were with me but it ended up being a guy who had ended up 5/6 rows forward such was the bedlam. Singing the McGinn song as we left the Roseburn end it really felt this team had a special spirit about them. How true that was to be. The home Derby was the only game we missed in the cup run as we were in Austria on holiday. We listened/watched on a combination of Hibs TV and Periscope in a hotel room with my 2 sons and my daughters boyfriend, a Jambo. We were diplomatic in our celebrations and thanked him for releasing match winner Jason Cummings to us. No asterisk against our cup win unlike their financially doped versions. The home ICT game was a great battle with another released Jambo, James Keatings scoring our goal. It was a great away support which travelled up to Inverness a few days after League Cup final heartbreak. Stokesy did the business and history was made with Oxleys booking which led to the inspired signing of Logan. When we turned up early at Hampden for the semi I texted a few pals saying 'wait until you see the nick of our goalie!'. Boy can appearances be deceptive. Logan was absolutely inspired and a deserved MOM. A word for our penalty takers, Hanlon, McGinn, Boyle and of course JC who swept us through.
    That day was unforgettable from start to finish. I had my 2 boys with me as well as my brother, nephew and good mate from school, CJ. Every player including subs delivered with of course Stokes & Gray getting the main plaudits and Stubbs made the subs at the right times. Everyone a hero, a legend of our great club. The Saturday night in Leith and all day Sunday were just as good as the game. The atmosphere, the outpouring of joy & emotion, the tens of thousands of people celebrating, the pubs all absolutely jumping with Stokesy on fire, the McGinn song but also Jimmy Boco and Super Joe Tortolano songs got airings amongst others. The feeling of being there whilst we got the monkey of our backs, coming from behind to win against the new club in the 92nd minute. I mean...simply incredible. Writing this weeks later the feeling of euphoria has barely dimmed helped by others stories and all the YouTube etc clips. I will never tire of watching them.

When Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup I was there.
    Wonderful

First Team Breakthrough

Thumbs Up God bless those that were'nt here to witness this.

[QUOTE=DaveSo;4723565]THAT day was different.
    Firstly, my brother decided to fly home from Kuala Lumpa for the final. He wasn't at all the other recent losing finals.
    On an impulse I picked up a picture of my Grandad who died suddenly as a youngish man way back in 1960. He was a Leither through and through and probably the reason our family are all Hibees. The picture was put in my back pocket so in effect we had four generations going to the game - my Grandad, my dad, me and my brother plus my two teenage sons.
    We were also on a different supporters bus as the usual bus always ended up with misery on the way home.
    So off we set but soon into the journey the driver tells us the bus is overheating and he is stopping in Livingston to await a replacement vehicle. Fortunately he stopped outside a pub so we all trooped in for refreshments !
    It was agreed we would stay where we were and pass on the visit to Shettleston Juniors where we were booked in.
    We were all happy with this at this change of routine, it was a good sign or so we kept reassuring ourselves.
    So a few hours later we climbed into the new bus to get to Hampden. Once there we got parked up with help from the polis and my brother discovered we were right beside a flat he stayed in during the 1980's while at Uni so we trooped round to it so he could get a picture at its front door. No idea why but again it was different !
    Our ticket arrangements were different this time as well. My dad and I had tickets for the South Stand while my boys and brother were in the East. Usually we are all together.
    A family hug beside the rank food vans outside Hampden and we split up to get in at our different turnstiles. We agreed to meet at the same place after the game hoping our big change of cup final habits would bring a different result.
    Five minutes in and Stoksey was on fire and terrified their defence as they let him run in unopposed to score. First time I had ever seen Hibs in the lead in a Scottish Cup final. Fantastic start and feeling.
    As we all know now despite being the better team with numerous chances we were two-one down with 10 minutes to go. That familiar sick feeling was returning.
    A few minutes later Liam Henderson takes a corner right in front of us and Stoksey nods it in and it's crazy in the stands. It was now the first time I had seen Hibs score two goals in a Scottish Cup final. Game on again.
    And then into injury time it's another corner right in front of us. The noise just seemed to get louder and louder and as Liam Henderson fired in another pin point cross it seemed like a green and white exocet missile launched itself at the ball and it flew into the net. Cue absolute bedlam on a scale I have never seen or witnessed before and unfortunately I don't think will ever see again.
    For the remaining two minutes my dad and I just hugged each other and I kept on saying "We're gonna win it, we're gonna win it" and then it was over. Similar to all of us it was an indescribable feeling of euphoria.
    It was the first time any of us had seen Hibernian win the Scottish Cup.
    Later after the Cup was awarded I pulled out the picture of my Grandad and showed it to my dad saying "your dads here and he seen us win the cup too". My dad just burst into tears as he really thought at age 69 he was never going to see this happen.
    Back to the meeting point and this time a mad celebration group hug with my boys and brother.
    THAT day was definitely different and it was the best ever ![/QUOTE
    Just read your post, wish I hadn't, in floods of tears again.

First Team Regular aussie_hibee's Avatar
    My wife of 12 years left me on New Years Day 2016. I had to be strong for the kids and because I had them al day every day for 3 weeks straight due to it being summer school holidays, I never really had time to process
    what had happened to me. I decided that I needed to come back to Edinburgh to be around some very special friends that I knew would get me through the hardest time in my life.

Naturally, I checked to see what fixtures were on when I was back. Damn, no league games and no games at ER. Wait, 2 cup games, both at Tynie!!!!!! The thought of seeing my beloved Hibees was a small glimmer of light in a very dark time for me.

People who I barely know rallied for me and got me tickets to both games at tynie and others who I’ve never met, picked me up and drove me to the derby.

I thought the semi was special but when Paul Hanlon slotted home that equaliser, I got a feeling that I’d never had with Hibs before, a real belief that this was our year.

I returned to Oz and watched the replay and semi on my own on Hibs TV.

The day of the final arrived and the arrangements I had made, to go to the Hibs Supporters Club, had to be cancelled as I had nobody to watch the kids.

I sat there alone, in my living room, with the hibs TV stream plugged in to my TV and went mental when stokes put us 1-0 up.
    I couldn’t believe it, was this really happening????

Then they scored and we missed chance after chance and that familiar feeling of so close but so far started to creep up.
    Then they go in front. Here we go again. I’m not surprised, it’s taking a familiar course for me in 2016.

STOKES……! Oh my god, we’re actually back in this. Surely not, SURELY NOT.

4 minutes….! Come on Hibs, get to extra time, we’ll take them in extra time……!

Henderson to deliveeeeeeeeerrrrr.

Total elation. Pure joy that I never thought I’d feel in my life ever again.

Come on Hibs, hold on….. HOLD ON…. Please please please please please, just one time, just this one time.

Full time whistle……!

I can’t believe it, we’ve actually done it. It hit me like a train. I sank to my knees and bawled like a baby.

Tears of absolute joy.

I sat there on my living room floor, crying my eyes out as the thousands there flooded on to the pitch and it hit me.

I was meant to watch this alone….. I will be ok. Hibs have won the bloody Scottish Cup and I WILL BE OK.

I picked myself up and sat there watching the celebrations, totally content, nay, happy.

A day that is up there with the birth of my children and a day I will never forget. Thank you Hibs.

GGTTH.

My son who is coming up for 6 bleeds green and white, and he knows formations etc already. I wouldn't say he got what it means to us Hibs fans to win the Scottish cup but he did know it had been 114 years.

When Ross County scored I looked at him and he had a tear running down his face. I felt horrible seeing that but being a Hibs fan I thought he will see more than his fare share of heartache. After the league cup final I posted a pic on my Facebook of us and I just said one day son we'll stand together at Hampden and see Hibs lift a cup. I was surprised to receive a PM from Marvin Bartley and all it said was "tell the wee man, we'll have him smiling come may."

I thanked him for the message and deep down I never thought I'd be heading to another Scottish cup final. But when we went to pens my son cuddled into me and couldn't watch the last pen. The roar meant he knew exactly how it went and his face was such a picture.

So then it was Scottish cup final day, all the talking we had done about how the game would go stopped. Instead it was very quiet in our car more nerves than anything. The evening news got our pic and Mason was on the BBC 1 national news as well. I thought please don't lose this not now, let us see us win it. We got in took our seat and it was just a see if green and white.

The first goal I thought was a feeling I'd never feel again, then boom 2-2 and we're right in this again. Mason said dad we are going to win this. My heart sank as I knew if we had lost he'd be a state and so would I being honest.

But up steps captain marvel Sir David Gray, and BANG.... The roof of Hampden was just about blown clean off, the noise was incredible I've grabbed my boy I feel to my knees and couldn't contain myself. All I could hear is him screaming in my ear YEEEESSSSSSS DADDY, YEEEEEEESSSS!

After that I couldn't breath, the air seemed to vanish inside the ground and I had to sit down to take this in. It Hibs after all, this could still go to E.T! Then the full time whistle and the hurt from any other final was gone, we'd done it.. We have won the Scottish Cup. I turned to Mason and there he was crying again, this time tears of joy!

I'm 38 years old, and I'll never feel like I did at those moments when we scored the third and when that whistle went. An incredible thing to see and one that gave me such a close bond to my son.

Thank you Hibernian, all the heartache we suffered made this so much more special.

We love you. 💚🇳🇬🏆
    Last edited by Thecat23; 12-06-2016 at 06:41 PM.