hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Jury duty

Jury duty

hi all

I ve been called up for jury duty tomorrow(maybe a bit late for advice but hey ho) and was hoping for soem advice

Its at the high court so im a little worried.I got the citation a few weeks ago and handed the documents to my work,. whom sent it off and i got them back.
    Now I work backshift(5pm start) I phoned the court as required and they say i have to turn up at 1.30pm instead of 10a,
    now, if i DO NOT get picked and am dismissed from jury duty, do i still/should i go to work?

On the other hand If i DO get picked what are everyones experinces in regards jury duty?
    was it as scary/worrying as you thought it ll be?Im a lil worried about it as you can tell
    Any advice most welcomed
    thanks
    bobby

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyhibs1983 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hi all

I ve been called up for jury duty tomorrow(maybe a bit late for advice but hey ho) and was hoping for soem advice

Its at the high court so im a little worried.I got the citation a few weeks ago and handed the documents to my work,. whom sent it off and i got them back.
    Now I work backshift(5pm start) I phoned the court as required and they say i have to turn up at 1.30pm instead of 10a,
    now, if i DO NOT get picked and am dismissed from jury duty, do i still/should i go to work?

On the other hand If i DO get picked what are everyones experinces in regards jury duty?
    was it as scary/worrying as you thought it ll be?Im a lil worried about it as you can tell
    Any advice most welcomed
    thanks
    bobby
    I'm not sure your work will necessarily know whether you've been picked or not so I think it would be up to you there.

I got called up last year and it was a waste of time. I went for two or three days and I was only there for a couple of hours each day and it didn't even go as far as selecting a jury as the cases were adjourned due to "legal matters".

Be prepared for a long wait, I would take a book or some sort of reading material to keep you occupied.

If it's anything like my experience, at the start you'll all get taken into one of the court rooms by the court clerk and given a brief summary of what to expect and your name will be taken to ensure you have attended.

After that, I can't really help you as that's as far as I got!

Enjoy.

ok thank you for your experince trig

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyhibs1983 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hi all

Any advice most welcomed
    thanks
    bobby
    I've ended up being picked for Jury duty twice and found it really interesting. Was only Sherriff Court though so nothing major. High Court will likely be a more serious offence.

I was surprised at the atmosphere in the Sh CT when I attended. It was like an office on a hot afternoon. Briefs from both sides were sharing banter. Several cases were postponed for various reasons. The Sheriff herself looked disinterested.