hibs.net Messageboard

Anyone been to Dubrovnik?

thinking of a trip away with my other half. wondered if anyone has been to Dubrovnik and if so would you recommend for a couple? thinking 5 days. is that long enough? things to do? places to stay? how much spending money etc? opinions welcome.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    thinking of a trip away with my other half. wondered if anyone has been to Dubrovnik and if so would you recommend for a couple? thinking 5 days. is that long enough? things to do? places to stay? how much spending money etc? opinions welcome.

I've only been for the day but it's fantastic. It's not all that expensive although entry to the city walls was quite dear as I recall. A boat trip (or 2) to the islands is a must. Lokrum and Korcula are fab apparently. You might know already but the currency is Kunas, but you can pay for taxis in Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I've only been for the day but it's fantastic. It's not all that expensive although entry to the city walls was quite dear as I recall. A boat trip (or 2) to the islands is a must. Lokrum and Korcula are fab apparently. You might know already but the currency is Kunas, but you can pay for taxis in Euros.
    Yeah I checked exchange rates etc already. I didn't know about the taxis. what about night time is it safe enough? I go risky places with the lads and more chilled places with the girl. it looks sensational and I'm a seasoned traveller too so should be OK but always like to make sure.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Yeah I checked exchange rates etc already. I didn't know about the taxis. what about night time is it safe enough? I go risky places with the lads and more chilled places with the girl. it looks sensational and I'm a seasoned traveller too so should be OK but always like to make sure.

I wasn't there in the evening, had to go back on the ship but I am positive it will be very safe.

Only spent two nights there but wasnt keen, although i know a few others whov been and have all enjoyed it. The place gets rammed during the day with coachloads of people on day trips. The food was pretty shan as well. I would reconmend Split as an alternative.
    Last edited by adhibs; 03-05-2016 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    Only spent two nights there but wasnt keen, although i know a few others whov been and have all enjoyed it. The place gets rammed during the day with coachloads of people on day trips. The food was pretty shan as well. I would reconmend Split as an alternative.
    fair enough. first person so far that's had a bad thing to say but it's good to hear the other side of the story. a couple of Italian mates are trying to sell Italian cities to me but I just fancied somewhere that wouldn't be a first shout.

Spent 5 days in Dubrovnik with the ex in 2009.
    Not been to many places (Oslo, Paris, Amsterdam, Prague, Malta, Isle of Man being the others), but the one place I would want to go back to was Dubrovnik.
    Thought it was fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I stayed in Cavtat, beautiful wee place, and got the taxi boat over to Dubrovnik a couple of times. I'd agree that during the day it is pretty mobbed, but it's definitely still worth the visit. I liked the food there, I don't think you can write off a whole cities food as shan based on just 2 days there, you could be anywhere in the world and be unlucky with your choice of restaurant over just 2 days.

The city walls walk in Dubrovnik is an absolute must do. It's longer than you think it'll be when you start, but so worth it.

I had a beer over there called San Servolo (I think that's what it was called) which I thought was great. I've never had it anywhere but Croatia.

thanks for comments folks. sounds like it's worth doing.

Can you fly direct from Edinburgh/Glasgow and how far is it from the airport?

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Can you fly direct from Edinburgh/Glasgow and how far is it from the airport?
    flights direct from Edinburgh.

Never been to Dubrovnik, had a great couple of days in Zagreb on the way to Maribor though, lovely city, loads of nice wee bars dotted along the river that runs through the centre of the city. Ljubljana was good too.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 04-05-2016 at 02:44 PM.

After a quick recap Ljubljana was the place with the riverside bars, Zagreb was still good though.

flights direct from Edinburgh.

Cheers, gonna give it a look. Fancied Croatia years ago but couldn't fly direct from any Scottish airports.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    It's one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I stayed in Cavtat, beautiful wee place, and got the taxi boat over to Dubrovnik a couple of times. I'd agree that during the day it is pretty mobbed, but it's definitely still worth the visit. I liked the food there, I don't think you can write off a whole cities food as shan based on just 2 days there, you could be anywhere in the world and be unlucky with your choice of restaurant over just 2 days.

The city walls walk in Dubrovnik is an absolute must do. It's longer than you think it'll be when you start, but so worth it.

I had a beer over there called San Servolo (I think that's what it was called) which I thought was great. I've never had it anywhere but Croatia.
    Your right that 2 days isn't enough to write if the while cities food, but i was far from impressed and possibly a bit unlucky. The places inside the walls seemed to be just about average enough to satisfy a huge tourist market that'll end up there regardless. Did have the worst meal ive ever ate at the harbour tho, no exageration at all either. Where a good few locals in so thought it cant be that bad, ended up getn fed to the cats outside!

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    After a quick recap Ljubljana was the place with the riverside bars, Zagreb was still good though.
    Have looked at going there at some point in the near future. Looks like itd be excellent sitting along the river when the suns out.

Went to Dubrovnik a few years ago with my wife for a week. Really enjoyed it the Old Town walled city is superb with lots of good restaurants and some nice bars tucked away down the many side streets. It was free to enter when I went.

You can also walk around the top of the wall round the city which has some great views.

There are some nice little beaches around the place if the weather is hot.

Also did a day trip to Mostar in Bosnia and Herzegovina which was worth seeing.

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

I'm going over to Cavtat for a week in September with the missus and little one so any advise/tips on what/where to eat, drink, visit and experience would be appreciated.

Couldn't get flights at a great price when we were both off work so opted for Malta instead. Not heard a bad word about it and their premier football outfit seem solid. 😉

Spent a good few hours there when on a cruise, definitely worth a visit. More so if you like Game of Thrones!

Ohhhh Dubrovnik, the memories and the stories to tell!!!!! Well, could make your toes curl! Some great days and even better nights.

Never been