hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Should Liverpool have been kicked out of the Europa League?

Listening to the car radio this afternoon I heard mention of a Liverpool player called Mamadou Sakho being banned for failing a drugs test, apparently after their Europa League win over Manchester United. I tend not to pay too much attention to English football these days and was only tuning in to see how Leicester were getting on today, so I must have missed this news when it happened.

Given the drugs furore around athletics and tennis at present, should this not be bigger news? And how come only the player and not the team get banned? In athletics, for instance, I'm sure I recall a whole Great Britain relay team getting stripped of medals because one of them tested positive for drugs.

Now, I gather that the Uefa ruling is that more than two players in a football team need to test positive for the whole team to be punished which strikes me as nonsense. Whether it's one player or all eleven, the team is handed an unfair advantage. Under this ruling the message is basically that it's OK for some of your team to be on drugs. Seems wrong to me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    No, the player should be banned and not the team.

Precedent has already been set as I recall. Teams are not punished for a single case.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    They should be kicked out.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    If the rules are that it is the player and not the team then that's what has to happen but rules can be changed. Would be a good rule to bring in though.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They should be kicked out.
    If 2 players are caught from same team they get kicked out.

But yes they should be kicked out they have cheated & had an unfair advantage over other team.

Let's hope they don't make the final as their fans are animals abroad.

Bin them.

I'm sure Scouse Hibee will have a view on this.

Probably arguments both ways but I think there has been no expulsion yet because the positive drugs result on Sakho is still to be ratified. He could still be "innocent". Without his goal in last round against Dortmund, they wouldn't be in the semis, so there is still something to "sort out" if he is definitely guilty IMO.
    Last edited by hibby6270; 01-05-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Precedent has already been set as I recall. Teams are not punished for a single case.
    Except that Celtc got away with just that when Legia brought on a player who was ineligible due to an administrative oversight in the previous round. The guy played the last few minutes of a tie that was already won but his brief appearance cost Legia their place in the next round.

It's BS to ignore one positive drugs test, particularly when the player in question has had such an influence on the match.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post

But yes they should be kicked out they have cheated & had an unfair advantage over other team.

You're only embarrassing yourself with posts like that.
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    nae need likes

Nope. I don't like pool but one player shouldn't ruin the chances of the rest getting a medal.

That's like saying if Hibs players were caught with doping should we be punted out the league?

Punish the player not the team.

I would ban them even without any drug taking incidents taking place, but that's another matter entirely.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Except that Celtc got away with just that when Legia brought on a player who was ineligible due to an administrative oversight in the previous round. The guy played the last few minutes of a tie that was already won but his brief appearance cost Legia their place in the next round.

It's BS to ignore one positive drugs test, particularly when the player in question has had such an influence on the match.
    It's yet to be confirmed, but Sakho's failed test is seemingly for a banned diuretic and he's waived the right to have the B test analysed, which is pretty much an admission of guilt.

The only real reason for Sakho to take a diuretic is to mask another drug, as it doesn't really act as a PED. We'll probably never know what that other drug is/was.

He should get a 2 year ban, but will probably plead guilty, cite some lame excuse and get off with 12 months.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post

Probably arguments both ways but I think there has been no expulsion yet because the positive drugs result on Sakho is still to be ratified. He could still be "innocent". Without his goal in last round against Dortmund, they wouldn't be in the semis, so there is still something to "sort out" if he is definitely guilty IMO.
    Yes I do,my view is if the rules say we should be kicked out then fine.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post

Yes did you see how they behaved in Dortmund, outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Yes I do,my view is if the rules say we should be kicked out then fine.
    Very honest and pragmatic reply. I salute you!!

Left by mutual consent!
    I've now done a bit more reading up on this and the same player went on to score a key goal to keep the tie alive against Dortmund in the next round. That for me is a case for the game being replayed or possibly even forfeited by Liverpool. As I said, I'm really surprised by how lenient the Uefa rules are on this sort of thing. If Liverpool were to go on and win this tournament it would carry a tainted feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I've now done a bit more reading up on this and the same player went on to score a key goal to keep the tie alive against Dortmund in the next round. That for me is a case for the game being replayed or possibly even forfeited by Liverpool. As I said, I'm really surprised by how lenient the Uefa rules are on this sort of thing. If Liverpool were to go on and win this tournament it would carry a tainted feel about it.

Any more of a tainted feel than a player diving to win a penalty, and getting a key goal?

the rules say the player is to be punished in this situation, not the team.

The rules are inconsistent, given that Legia were kicked out for a brief and irrelevant appearance by one player.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

The rules are inconsistent, given that Legia were kicked out for a brief and irrelevant appearance by one player.

Difference being the club knew he was ineligible yet still played him, Sakho did what he did without Liverpool's knowledge, different things.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    No, IMO.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Difference being the club knew he was ineligible yet still played him, Sakho did what he did without Liverpool's knowledge, different things.
    They wouldn't have played him if they'd known he was ineligible. Legia thought that he had served his three game ban during the previous round and in the first leg. Then it turned out that they hadn't listed him for the previous round, so the two games there didn't count against the ban.

The Legia guy played for a few minutes at the end of a tie that was already finished, but Sakho has played a major role in Liverpool making it to the semis so in that respect it is different things.

All I want is consistency and that is not being applied when the effect of fielding a player who has cheated is ignored. Had the Legia result stood then it would be consistent not to punish Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post

Bin him an'a

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    There is an argument, though, that Liverpool are responsible for the conduct of their players.

As mentioned before after the amount of money they spent on Caroll and Benteke I don't think he's the only one who'd fail a drugs test

They wouldn't have played him if they'd known he was ineligible. Legia thought that he had served his three game ban during the previous round and in the first leg. Then it turned out that they hadn't listed him for the previous round, so the two games there didn't count against the ban.

The Legia guy played for a few minutes at the end of a tie that was already finished, but Sakho has played a major role in Liverpool making it to the semis so in that respect it is different things.

All I want is consistency and that is not being applied when the effect of fielding a player who has cheated is ignored. Had the Legia result stood then it would be consistent not to punish Liverpool.
    It's not being ignored there is a rule for this situation and it will be applied.You can't change the rule depending on the impact a particular player had on a game. What is so difficult to understand? If the rule is that Liverpool should be thrown out than that is what should happen. It isn't so we will continue and if we go on to win the cup it won't be tainted at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    There is an argument, though, that Liverpool are responsible for the conduct of their players.
    They are and that is why they suspended him before anyobe else did.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    They are and that is why they suspended him before anyobe else did.
    I get that, but.... taking the responsibility to its ultimate, should clubs be testing their own players? Do they ? For self-protection, at least, they should be.

That's a great shout by the way, I hadn't thought about it like that.

Scouse, our bet's off pal!*

*Disclaimer - Only if Liverpool win the Europa League and Manchester Utd fail to win the FA Cup. If Liverpool fail to win the Europa League then the bet stands.