Anyone for Summer Football?

No game today!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No game today!
    Lovely evening in sunny Leith 😀

April would be part of the season whether we stayed put or moved to the summer.

It's just that freezing cold and snow are less likely in the summer.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

There is no such thing as Summer or Winter football.

We have a break in June and bits of July. Other countries have a break in December and January.

The latter is exceptionally dumb for Scotland given that the Christmas-New Year period gets the biggest crowds of the season with all the expatriot Scots returning for the festivities. Meantime many of us will be on holiday June and July assuming there is not a World Cup or European Championship on which means that matches will not be able to be played for many teams,

I have been at Matches in April affected by snow. I was at an Intertoto Cup match in July almost abandoned because of a flooded pitch.

File this under 'Stupid ideas'.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post

We have a break in June and bits of July. Other countries have a break in December and January.

The latter is exceptionally dumb for Scotland given that the Christmas-New Year period gets the biggest crowds of the season with all the expatriot Scots returning for the festivities. Meantime many of us will be on holiday June and July assuming there is not a World Cup or European Championship on which means that matches will not be able to be played for many teams,

I have been at Matches in April affected by snow. I was at an Intertoto Cup match in July almost abandoned because of a flooded pitch.

Couldn't have put it better!

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post

👍👍 Send this to the SPFL and any other donut in favour of "summer" football.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    The pro summer football pundits like Chic Young have been strangely silent on the matter in recent weeks. The idea that a switch would have us watching football in shorts and tee shirts is a complete fallacy.

The pro summer football pundits like Chic Young have been strangely silent on the matter in recent weeks. The idea that a switch would have us watching football in shorts and tee shirts is a complete fallacy.
    There's a much better chance of football being played in better conditions over the summer. And despite attempts toargue otherwise the conditions for the fans will generally be more pleasant. Nobody is claiming it would be tee shirt and shorts weather every game.
    Unfortunately we will probably never see it because the forces running our game are the most conservative to be found anywhere.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

There will be games where it's really nice though and folk would be in a t shirt and shorts! Better than sitting in -5 and howling winds. Never happen though sadly.

Summer football blah. What happens when the world cup or the Euro championships are on? Thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Summer football blah. What happens when the world cup or the Euro championships are on? Thought so.
    What happens in the Scandinavian countries that actually qualify for major tournaments?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Have a break! Not rocket science.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    It's hardly a stupid idea, it's just not idea that you like personally.

Its one of the reasons Scottish clubs get humped ootae Euroe so quickly.many countries start their season 4-8 weks before us. Were just startin playin friendlies. Give me an early start to the season any time. As for fans being on holiday, poor excuse, plenty games could be missed. Dont think if I miss an away game against alloa or rosscounty because I am going on holiday would worry me too much.

Testimonial Due
    So many games in Scotland in the second half of the season and played on terrible pitches, which definitely affects the quality of the game. I think that if we don't want to switch the summer football, we're going to need to become more accepting of artificial surfaces.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    It appeals to me more in mid winter, when my baws have frozen solid at games. Then again, in the long winter months the football cheers me up.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Not me thanks. I'd give up my ST as I'd miss too many games.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    There will be games where it's really nice though and folk would be in a t shirt and shorts! Better than sitting in -5 and howling winds. Never happen though sadly.
    So please tell us which month the -5 and howling winds take place?
    I'll answer for you, any month from November to April.

Testimonial Due
    So please tell us which month the -5 and howling winds take place?
    I'll answer for you, any month from November to April.
    Isn't that literally his point?

First Team Regular
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MC_Humo
    Summer football would increase Scottish teams chances of qualifying for Europe. Look at Aberdeen for example, booted out of Europe before the group stages but then when they start the season properly they go on an unbeaten run. They would of 100% gotten to the group stages if our season started 4-6 weeks earlier.

Summer football would make absolutely no sense in a country like Scotland, which does not really have any clear distinctions between any of the four seasons.

The weather recently has barely been any different to the weather we might expect to see in December or January. July is also quite often one of the wettest months of the year in Scotland.

It's a no from me.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Humo View Post
    Summer football would increase Scottish teams chances of qualifying for Europe. Look at Aberdeen for example, booted out of Europe before the group stages but then when they start the season properly they go on an unbeaten run. They would of 100% gotten to the group stages if our season started 4-6 weeks earlier.
    Honestly, does your average fan really care about qualification for European football? It's more bother than it's worth and can even financially penalise some of the participants. Just ask St Johnstone.

First Team Regular
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Honestly, does your average fan really care about qualification for European football? It's more bother than it's worth and can even financially penalise some of the participants. Just ask St Johnstone.
    Getting to the group stage is where the money starts. The qualification is worthless and does cost a lot of teams money but it's worth it if you get through

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineOnLeith View Post
    Isn't that literally his point?
    If he is wanting to avoid low temperatures and high winds we would need a 6 months close season.
    Anyway, summer in Scotland is as hard to predict as the winter and we already play during 5 of the so called summer months.

Really?

First Team Regular
    Gamer IDs

[/B]
    Really?
    Well not 100% but they would of had a much higher chance and considering how close they were I think they would of.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Summer football would make absolutely no sense in a country like Scotland, which does not really have any clear distinctions between any of the four seasons.

The weather recently has barely been any different to the weather we might expect to see in December or January. July is also quite often one of the wettest months of the year in Scotland.

It's a no from me.
    Winter has snow and freezing temperatures as a change from it being cold, dreich and windy.

Summer has brief periods of sunshine and warmth as a change from it being cold, dreich and windy.

Since it's cold, dreich and windy all year round, summer football at least offers the hope of decent weather rather than the threat of it being worse.

Playing in the summer makes sense from a football point of view as well. Not only will it help our teams in Europe (which is where we expect Hibs to be) but there is an opportunity to get a better TV deal because there will be a couple of months with no English football to compete with.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

First Team Regular
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Winter has snow and freezing temperatures as a change from it being cold, dreich and windy.

Summer has brief periods of sunshine and warmth as a change from it being cold, dreich and windy.

Since it's cold, dreich and windy all year round, summer football at least offers the hope of decent weather rather than the threat of it being worse.

Playing in the summer makes sense from a football point of view as well. Not only will it help our teams in Europe (which is where we expect Hibs to be) but there is an opportunity to get a better TV deal because there will be a couple of months with no English football to compete with.
    This 100%

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Do we play many games on a friday?

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Getting to the group stage is where the money starts. The qualification is worthless and does cost a lot of teams money but it's worth it if you get through

Like it or not, Scottish football is only marginally better than the Irish leagues and the chances of qualifcation to the group stages are slim to say the least.