hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The bit in bold, was down to Sheffield Wednesday according to the verdicts.
    I appreciate it says that, but Duckenfield and his right hand man decided at about 2.30/2.40 not to delay the KO despite what was unfolding outside.

The police commander has the ultimate say.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    A disgusting cover up from the beginning of the tragic events.

A police commander who lied about proceedings and deceived inquiries, a Tory Press secretary deriding innocent victims as drunken yobs, a so-called newspaper that published 'The Truth' when all along it was complete lies designed to help those in power and pin the blame on football fans who were treated like criminals for supporting their team.

The families now have justice after a disgracefully long wait. I hope the perpetrators and the ones complicit in this appalling cover up get justice too - in this case read jail.

Like many, I'm sure, I watched those horrible events unfold and like many, I shed tears. Today's verdict and the rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone brought the tears back again.

I sincerely hope that those responsible are brought to justice.

I also hope that the families will now sue the Sun and others including that stain on humanity, Kelvin Mackenzie.
    This is how it feels

The Sun the only newspaper to not report on the events of today as the verdicts were emerging.

Vile institution who should be hanging their heads in shame. The fact they still employ that lying, arrogant, self-righteous **** Kelvin MacKenzie is evidence enough that they are utter ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Like many, I'm sure, I watched those horrible events unfold and like many, I shed tears. Today's verdict and the rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone brought the tears back again.

I also hope that the families will now sue the Sun and others including that stain on humanity, Kelvin Mackenzie.

How that ******* still has the brass neck and the arrogance to still be showing his face on television etc is unreal.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySeven7 View Post
    The Sun the only newspaper to not report on the events of today as the verdicts were emerging.

Vile institution who should be hanging their heads in shame. The fact they still employ that lying, arrogant, self-righteous **** Kelvin MacKenzie is evidence enough that they are utter ****.
    Here is a bit about the criminal investigations, where the media and their sources are being looked into

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/...dvanced-stage/
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post

This is the reality of the country we live in, John. I want to see prosecutions for perjury, for perverting the course of justice, for manslaughter, and like you I want to see the people and bodies responsible - the police, the FA, the Sun, Sheffield Wednesday FC, whoever - sued and made to face their responsibilities.

I've just gone down the list of the dead on the link JimB provided - http://hillsborough.liverpoolecho.co.uk/p/index.html. A cross-section of ordinary folk who aren't 'ordinary' folk, whom their loved ones have had to defend against the slander of lying policemen, timeserving politicians and 'journalists' who wouldn't know the truth if it jumped up and bit them on the bum.

But sadly, I'm not going to hold my breath. I can hear the chorus now - the 'passage of time', the 'uncertainty of people's memory at such a late date', the unavailability of the security tapes from the stadium cameras - put in a 'safe place' but no one can remember exactly where - and after all, do we really want to rake it all up all over again? Put it into the mouth of Sir Humphrey Appelby and I'm sure you'll get the flavour.

They were, after all, only football fans, and every policeman, politician and journalist knows that beneath the innocent veneer of the football fan lurks the evil reality of the knife-wielding drunken casual. Cameron may be expressing sympathy now, but if you could see what he really thinks ....

I thought Desmond Murnaghan did very well, btw.

Gamer IDs

From the jury's written verdict -

6. Unlawful killing: Are you satisfied, so that you are sure, that those who died in the disaster were unlawfully killed? To answer 'yes' to this question, the jurors must be sure of the following:

• Firstly, that Ch Supt David Duckenfield owed a duty of care to the 96 who died
    • Secondly, that he was in breach of that duty of care
    • Thirdly, that the breach of Mr Duckenfield's duty of care caused the deaths
    • Finally, the jury must be sure that the breach which caused the deaths amounted to "gross negligence."

Jury's answer: Yes

That's a verdict of unlawful killing against a named individual - Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield. I'm not sure the CPS have a lot of room NOT to charge him, at least with manslaughter ...
    Last edited by --------; 26-04-2016 at 03:06 PM.

The doctor from London on Sky News who attended the game with his kids/nephew provided a very powerful statement re the happenings of the day at about 1330 today, it was very moving stuff and showed what the families were up against before todays verdict was returned. I imagine it'll be shown throughout the day, well worth a watch/listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    I just can't understand why it's taken this long - I hope it helps the families in some way.

I remember the day well.
    Because people covered up and some lied and distorted events to save their own careers
    The Families had to fight the whole system and refused to give up
    Those covering up hopped the clamour and outrage would dissipate with time but the movement and outrage was channelled into Justice and finally their efforts have been rewarded

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Because people covered up and some lied and distorted events to save their own careers
    The Families had to fight the whole system and refused to give up
    Those covering up hopped the clamour and outrage would dissipate with time but the movement and outrage was channelled into Justice and finally their efforts have been rewarded

Polis committing perjury?

Shurely shome mishtake here?

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    This is the reality of the country we live in, John. I want to see prosecutions for perjury, for perverting the course of justice, for manslaughter, and like you I want to see the people and bodies responsible - the police, the FA, the Sun, Sheffield Wednesday FC, whoever - sued and made to face their responsibilities.

I've just gone down the list of the dead on the link JimB provided - http://hillsborough.liverpoolecho.co.uk/p/index.html. A cross-section of ordinary folk who aren't 'ordinary' folk, whom their loved ones have had to defend against the slander of lying policemen, timeserving politicians and 'journalists' who wouldn't know the truth if it jumped up and bit them on the bum.

But sadly, I'm not going to hold my breath. I can hear the chorus now - the 'passage of time', the 'uncertainty of people's memory at such a late date', the unavailability of the security tapes from the stadium cameras - put in a 'safe place' but no one can remember exactly where - and after all, do we really want to rake it all up all over again? Put it into the mouth of Sir Humphrey Appelby and I'm sure you'll get the flavour.

They were, after all, only football fans, and every policeman, politician and journalist knows that beneath the innocent veneer of the football fan lurks the evil reality of the knife-wielding drunken casual. Cameron may be expressing sympathy now, but if you could see what he really thinks ....

I thought Desmond Murnaghan did very well, btw.

i read a university of Chester report in 1995 which laid out precisely the findings today. This is when the drunken fans defence was seen as the consensus. The Truth has been out there for over twenty years, and I fear if Dunkenfield and others were still alive there'd be more obstruction, The Sun and Boris Johnson would still be spouting their lies and there would still be no justice. Orgreave then and Rotherham now show that nothing much has changed in policing in that part of the world, and that certain establishment figures have a lot of power over policing and the press.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

i read a university of Chester report in 1995 which laid out precisely the findings today. This is when the drunken fans defence was seen as the consensus. The Truth has been out there for over twenty years, and I fear if Dunkenfield and others were still alive there'd be more obstruction, The Sun and Boris Johnson would still be spouting their lies and there would still be no justice. Orgreave then and Rotherham now show that nothing much has changed in policing in that part of the world, and that certain establishment figures have a lot of power over policing and the press.
    Pretty sure Duckenfield is still alive, and whilst he lied at the original inquests he admitted those lies at this inquest. He has also already been interviewed under caution but i havent heard whether that is for his actions on the day, his subsequent lies including perjury, or both.
    ​#PERSEVERED

It would be a great gesture for the club to play You'll Never Walk Alone tonight. Anyone know how to get a message to our DJ?

Trevor Hicks, who lost his teenage daughters Vicki and Sarah, is quoted that "he could now properly grieve". 27 years later. Cannot imagine that.

There are lots of people who should be more than ashamed today.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibsdaft View Post
    It would be a great gesture for the club to play You'll Never Walk Alone tonight. Anyone know how to get a message to our DJ?

The original game lasted 6 minutes IIRC.

Everyone up and applauding on the 6 minute mark?

First Team Breakthrough telfordhibby's Avatar
    27 years too late the establishment from the tory government at the time the police and the so called editor of the sun news paper found out for what they are.God bless the 96 and the wonderful relatives who fought for todays verdict.

I would argue you can almost forgive incompetence, you can even almost forgive a wee bit of cutting corners here and there. The Police lost control and in the heat of the moment made a bad decision compounded by further bad decisions. A safety certificate wasn't up to date and the decision to play the game there (especially given previous 'near misses) was a poor one. Whilst those responsible should have been held to account you can almost accept it as mistakes or worse as corruption that ended with a tragedy that couldn't have been foreseen.

What I don't think can ever be forgiven is the cover up. Not only a cover up but one that had an associated smear campaign against the deceased, the injured and thousands of other ordinary punters who attended a football match. A cover up that was, in part, ideologically motivated and went all the way to the very top. It will be interesting to see if the likes of Bernard Ingrham, Kelvin McKenzie et al will retract their previously expressed views. The 80s saw Police forces across the country that were primed to be partisan. They had to be. The miners strikes saw to that, of course another shameful episode at Orgreave is testament to that view.

I really don't care how old people are now or how sorry they are or what words of reconciliation they throw out. The book should be thrown at each and every person responsible who is still fit to stand trial. Whatever charges are relevant should be brought.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    Pretty sure Duckenfield is still alive, and whilst he lied at the original inquests he admitted those lies at this inquest. He has also already been interviewed under caution but i havent heard whether that is for his actions on the day, his subsequent lies including perjury, or both.
    Apologies, I must have read that he'd retired and processed it as died. I'm getting on a bit

interesting angle on the cover up here. The masons mentioned specifically by the PCC.

https://www.rt.com/uk/341012-freemas...ce-corruption/

Tweet from Irvine Welsh:

"Hillsborough about more than establishment cover up of tragic deaths. Also about a state-led cultural vilification of a city and its people."

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Tweet from Irvine Welsh:

"Hillsborough about more than establishment cover up of tragic deaths. Also about a state-led cultural vilification of a city and its people."
    Quite. As the current London mayor said in 2004

"Boris Johnson in Spectator, 2004...'Liverpool is a handsome city with a tribal sense of community. A combination of economic misfortune - its docks were, fundamentally, on the wrong side of England when Britain entered what is now the European Union - and an excessive predilection for welfarism have created a peculiar, and deeply unattractive, psyche among many Liverpudlians. They see themselves whenever possible as victims, and resent their victim status; yet at the same time they wallow in it. Part of this flawed psychological state is that they cannot accept that they might have made any contribution to their misfortunes, but seek rather to blame someone else for it, thereby deepening their sense of shared tribal grievance against the rest of society. The deaths of more than 50 Liverpool football supporters at Hillsborough in 1989 was undeniably a greater tragedy than the single death, however horrible, of Mr Bigley; but that is no excuse for Liverpool's failure to acknowledge, even to this day, the part played in the disaster by drunken fans at the back of the crowd who mindlessly tried to fight their way into the ground that Saturday afternoon. The police became a convenient scapegoat, and the Sun newspaper a whipping-boy for daring, albeit in a tasteless fashion, to hint at the wider causes of the incident.'

Left by mutual consent!
    Radio 5 Live have just put together a compilation of how the day unfolded (it was covered by John Inverdale and Peter Jones on Radio 2) and I'm not ashamed to admit that it brought a tear to my eye. It was a broadcast that would have done Marconi proud and I doubt I've heard a more moving piece of radio. It really is worth listening to on iPlayer.

I now just hope that this story is finally laid to rest and it doesn't get trotted out like the Bloody Sunday murders. We all knew for some time what happened, who was culpable, the cover-ups etc. Please just let it be.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I would argue you can almost forgive incompetence, you can even almost forgive a wee bit of cutting corners here and there. The Police lost control and in the heat of the moment made a bad decision compounded by further bad decisions. A safety certificate wasn't up to date and the decision to play the game there (especially given previous 'near misses) was a poor one. Whilst those responsible should have been held to account you can almost accept it as mistakes or worse as corruption that ended with a tragedy that couldn't have been foreseen.

What I don't think can ever be forgiven is the cover up. Not only a cover up but one that had an associated smear campaign against the deceased, the injured and thousands of other ordinary punters who attended a football match. A cover up that was, in part, ideologically motivated and went all the way to the very top. It will be interesting to see if the likes of Bernard Ingrham, Kelvin McKenzie et al will retract their previously expressed views. The 80s saw Police forces across the country that were primed to be partisan. They had to be. The miners strikes saw to that, of course another shameful episode at Orgreave is testament to that view.

I really don't care how old people are now or how sorry they are or what words of reconciliation they throw out. The book should be thrown at each and every person responsible who is still fit to stand trial. Whatever charges are relevant should be brought.
    Heres your answer on this one. I dislike Ingham so much.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...belled-7837120

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Quite. As the current London mayor said in 2004

"Boris Johnson in Spectator, 2004...'Liverpool is a handsome city with a tribal sense of community. A combination of economic misfortune - its docks were, fundamentally, on the wrong side of England when Britain entered what is now the European Union - and an excessive predilection for welfarism have created a peculiar, and deeply unattractive, psyche among many Liverpudlians. They see themselves whenever possible as victims, and resent their victim status; yet at the same time they wallow in it. Part of this flawed psychological state is that they cannot accept that they might have made any contribution to their misfortunes, but seek rather to blame someone else for it, thereby deepening their sense of shared tribal grievance against the rest of society. The deaths of more than 50 Liverpool football supporters at Hillsborough in 1989 was undeniably a greater tragedy than the single death, however horrible, of Mr Bigley; but that is no excuse for Liverpool's failure to acknowledge, even to this day, the part played in the disaster by drunken fans at the back of the crowd who mindlessly tried to fight their way into the ground that Saturday afternoon. The police became a convenient scapegoat, and the Sun newspaper a whipping-boy for daring, albeit in a tasteless fashion, to hint at the wider causes of the incident.'

How anyone could ever defend the smears put out after the disaster at Hillsborough by Murdoch's rag is beyond me. Boris Johnson. Why anyone ever listens to the fat buffoon is a mystery to me. Any word from him today? Or is he hiding?

I wonder how those responsible for the Sun's coverage of the Hillsborough disaster feel today? The Sun didn't "hint" at anything. They blamed the Liverpool fans. Shameful.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    A great day for the courage and relentless determination to get the truth by the families of the 96. Everybody who claims to value justice should be proud of them. Equally, anyone who was involved in 27 years of cover up and fabrication will, hopefully, also get their just desserts. So many people from the police, the media and politics should now be demonstrating contrition and humility for their part, however large or small, in compounding the suffering of the bereaved.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

finally those poor 96 and their tormented families can hopefully find some peace.

I agree that those responsible should be held to account, and the likes of MacKenzie be made to answer for their actions.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    finally those poor 96 and their tormented families can hopefully find some peace.

I agree that those responsible should be held to account, and the likes of MacKenzie be made to answer for their actions.
    McKenzie wasn't found wanting for a quick statement way back then, hopefully he will be out as quick with his spin on the story this time as well. Won't be holding my breath. Quite a few politicians from the time have a lot to answer for as well.

The families dignity and persistence against the odds and the establishment was quite incredible. I heard a report on the radio saying that at a remembrance event some Everton fans left a card saying that they they had taken on the wrong city, so it seems.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

First Team Breakthrough Hibtastic's Avatar
    http://youtu.be/5y5rwu4S-1s

Here is the shameful Kelvin Mackenzie not so talkative now! What a knob!

27 years to officially have confirmed what all decent minded people knew, particularly those who either knew people there/people affected and to a lesser degree, those who seen it all unfold live on the BBC.

The polis, the establishment and the cover up (for almost three ****ing DECADES) was the ONLY criminality that occurred on the day and thereafter.

All the lies and bollocks the sun printed was and is beneath contempt. ****s and nothing more. Not worthy of the press or attention.

The facts are the facts. I now hope the criminal proceedings being progressed as duly fired at the *******s responsible. Only then, will justice have been done.

JFT96.

A Police and Government cover up, similar to Miners, Yewtree etc etc......Stinks to high heaven.

Justice finally, but shows how corrupt "Great Britain" is........
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull