hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Belfast

Belfast

I'm going to Belfast for a long weekend in July. It's my first time and I don't know much about the city. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay/visit/eat/drink?

Thanks to anyone that can help,
    HH

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmesdale Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm going to Belfast for a long weekend in July. It's my first time and I don't know much about the city. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay/visit/eat/drink?

HH
    Was there in November. Stayed at Ramada Encore on a Lastminute.com Secret hotel deal.

Must do:

Titanic
    open top bus tour
    The Crown Liquor saloon (National trust owned pub)

Plenty bars and restaurants around
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Was in Belfast this time last year for 5 days and had a fantastic time. Would also recommend the open top bus tour as a must do. Went to the Titanic museum and while it's interesting it's not something I'd do again. Went to the Ulster museum (which was free) and found that more interesting. Also done the nomadic which is next to the Titanic museum and it was a lot better. Get the guided tour round first and then walk around by yourself. Fab city, you'll have a great time

I would also recommend the open top bus tour, takes you to all the areas of interest. The titanic museum is ok, we visited Crumlin road gaol which was really interesting, also did a boat tour of the dock area which was good. Would also recommend a day trip to giants causeway. We booked a lot of stuff through the open top bus tour website, think it's called city sightseeing Belfast, which saved money. Enjoy, it's a great place to visit.

Went last year,cracking city would also recommend the bus tour went to the titanic museum,bit of let down if I'm being honest the city centre is good for a walk about plenty of nice buildings and stuff,there's a I'm sure it's called cafe metz which is great for breakfast and lunch or even just a coffee and cake they also do evening meals but we weren't in at night

Also st George's market is excellent

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar

HH
    July eh? Hopefully not the 12th, it can get a bit heated here around that time

I once made the mistake of getting on the ferry to Belfast on the 11th July. Never again, it was horrific. Sorry i can't really recommend too much in belfast as I don't spend a lot of time there. There are plenty decent pubs, the John Hewitt in the cathedral quarter and for a bite to eat with decent beer selection mollys yard near the uni are particularly good.

Cheers for the tips. I always like bus tours early on so you get a good feel of where everything is, glad to hear this one is rated highly. We'll most likely go to Giants Causway and some of the pubs and restaurants recommend.The Game of Thrones tour sounds alright as well if there's time. Thankfully we're not traveling on 11th July but that's more luck than good planning, I'd completely forgot about it.

We ended up going to Belfast by choosing 6 city break destinations and rolling a dice. Belfast was a bit of a wildcard but I've heard a few folk say good things about it. The dice told us to go to Bordeaux last year which I recommend, especially if you like your wine.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    George Best gets a good mention on the bus tour. Was able to tell the guide I had been privileged to watch him play for Hibs.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

HH
    Belfast for the Glorious 12th? Don't wear your Hibs tap
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

They used to, and I'm sure must still do, specific tours that look at murals in both communities which has had good reviews. maybe worth a look

I go every couple of weeks with work and normally stay at the Europa which is just off the Main Street. Plenty to do but the open top bus is great. I enjoy going to ten square for somthing to eat

Quote Originally Posted by Finn2015 View Post
    They used to, and I'm sure must still do, specific tours that look at murals in both communities which has had good reviews. maybe worth a look
    Yeah you go around in a black cab and the driver talks you through them and about the troubles.
    The bus tour covers all that though and goes up and down the Falls Road, Shankill Road and around the peace wall. You get to see all the murals and stuff and have the opportunity to jump on and off the buses whenever you want so can spend time looking at them and taking photos. Having never been before, I was amazed at how close the two roads mentioned are to each other. Not normally one for bus tours but the Belfast one is fantastic.