hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. I actually find it hilarious the amount of people who think AJ will steamroller Tyson Fury. I'd like that to happen but AJ still has a lot to prove... Unlike Fury who done what no other heavyweight could do in the last 11 years and beat Klitschko.

Hope this fight happens soon but if it takes a while it won't be because of either fighter avoiding the other.
    I agree that AJ still has things to prove - he probably needs another 2 or 3 fights before he faces Fury - but I do firmly believe that once they do meet that AJ will "go through" Fury. To me he seems the real deal and a bold statement I know but he will be the best heavyweight since Tyson was in his prime.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Brazil View Post
    I agree that AJ still has things to prove - he probably needs another 2 or 3 fights before he faces Fury - but I do firmly believe that once they do meet that AJ will "go through" Fury. To me he seems the real deal and a bold statement I know but he will be the best heavyweight since Tyson was in his prime.
    We'll have to wait and see. As I mentioned, I'd love him to KO fury, but as it stands AJ has still to fight anyone with a decent pedigree so it's near impossible to say what would happen. There is a huge amount of hype behind him and I won't be joining in until he's proved himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    You're kidding right?

Fury might be a tube, but he's a two belt world champion. Joshua was handed a belt, rather than beating a ten year champion.

Joshua doesn't want near Fury!

Fingers crossed haye wins his fight, because hos speed would be too much for either joshua or fury.
    Fury beat an ageing, slow, pretty one dimensional Klitschko. Fury, defensively speaking, is wide open to fast hands, AJ wins that one for me unless it goes the distance then that's where question marks over AJ's stamina come into question as he's never been taken into the trenches.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Joseph Parker is fighting in an IBF title eliminator in Auckland next month - he is no.1 contender if he wins.

He's 18-0, 16 KOs. Some over here reckon he'd be too quick for Joshua. Would be a really interesting fight anyway.

Here's a clip of his highlights - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V_t6wdLq9LA
    Parker is fighting absolute bums over in NZ. He's fighting takam next tho so we will know more about Parker after that . Remember Gary Cornish was something like 18-0 wasn't he? He was garbage

Left by mutual consent!
    Funny how Ortiz isn't mentioned by anyone even closely related to the AJ camp or in the British media....

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Parker is fighting absolute bums over in NZ. He's fighting takam next tho so we will know more about Parker after that . Remember Gary Cornish was something like 18-0 wasn't he? He was garbage
    I've no idea how good Parker is but I remember hearing years ago that a ferocious Kiwi called David Tua was going to show Lennox Lewis up. How did that work out?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Sounded like that yeah. 'Big night at Wembley on July 9th!' I think he said

Can only be Haye?
    I'm down in London at that time. Fingers crossed!

We'll have to wait and see. As I mentioned, I'd love him to KO fury, but as it stands AJ has still to fight anyone with a decent pedigree so it's near impossible to say what would happen. There is a huge amount of hype behind him and I won't be joining in until he's proved himself.
    Prove himself against whom though mate?

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    A few of them looked well past it.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Prove himself against whom though mate?
    Haye, Fury, Klitschko and Wilder are the best in the division atm and now that he's a 'world champion', these are the names he needs to be fighting.

Haye, Fury, Klitschko and Wilder are the best in the division atm and now that he's a 'world champion', these are the names he needs to be fighting.

Sorry mate, misread your post, I thought you were saying he couldn't fight Haye etc because he hasn't proven himself. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I've no idea how good Parker is but I remember hearing years ago that a ferocious Kiwi called David Tua was going to show Lennox Lewis up. How did that work out?
    David Tua was very good though. Lewis was just better. Tua beat a lot of decent American fighters. He was all about power punching though - had be landed on Lewis he would've had him. Alas, couldn't get near him. Went the distance though IIRC?

Parker has fought bums on the way up of course, but hasn't AJ too?

Parker seems pretty similar to AJ - i.e. Pretty humble, getting on with it and beating whoever is put in front of him. He did KO Francois Botha, thought admittedly he's now 47!

Takam fight will go some way to proving whether or not he's the real deal.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    David Tua was very good though. Lewis was just better. Tua beat a lot of decent American fighters. He was all about power punching though - had be landed on Lewis he would've had him. Alas, couldn't get near him. Went the distance though IIRC?

Parker has fought bums on the way up of course, but hasn't AJ too?

Parker seems pretty similar to AJ - i.e. Pretty humble, getting on with it and beating whoever is put in front of him. He did KO Francois Botha, thought admittedly he's now 47!

Takam fight will go some way to proving whether or not he's the real deal.
    David Tua was a very good boxer, probably the best heavyweight never to win a world title. A career that lasted over 20 yeats with so many first round knockouts to his credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    David Tua was a very good boxer, probably the best heavyweight never to win a world title. A career that lasted over 20 yeats with so many first round knockouts to his credit.
    He had quite a bit of trouble with his weight - including when he fought Lewis. He wasn't in the best condition he could be at that time, unfortunately for him.

He was also only knocked down once in his career, in, I think, his second last fight. So he was hardly a bum as inferred in the original post!

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Couldnt believe saturday night. 14 of us were round at my mates and we were all convinced the fight would go at least 6 rounds. I even stuck a fiver on Martin as 7/2 seemed crazy odds. When Martin got in the ring we all were surprised at his shape, and then once the fight actually started, it was clear it was only gonna last a few minutes. AJ's jab is unreal.
    I think AJ will have 2 more fights this year - July and maybe November, and then next year we'll see him fight Haye and Fury. Hearn's not daft, those are the fights everyone wants to see, but AJ needs some stiffer opposition before jumping in the ring with them. The problem is, where does he find it.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Couldnt believe saturday night. 14 of us were round at my mates and we were all convinced the fight would go at least 6 rounds. I even stuck a fiver on Martin as 7/2 seemed crazy odds. When Martin got in the ring we all were surprised at his shape, and then once the fight actually started, it was clear it was only gonna last a few minutes. AJ's jab is unreal.
    I think AJ will have 2 more fights this year - July and maybe November, and then next year we'll see him fight Haye and Fury. Hearn's not daft, those are the fights everyone wants to see, but AJ needs some stiffer opposition before jumping in the ring with them. The problem is, where does he find it.
    Thats the problem for joshua now, there arent that many good heavyweights just now who would give him a decemt fight so he either has to take easy fights for the next couple or just go for it now and fight one of the big 3 or 4