hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've spent the past few days here in San Fran hiding from it. It's really warm by the Bay just now.
    Pfft. West coaster.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    Jays were woeful

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

The Rays.

The David Grays. 😁

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    MLB back tonight and for the first time in a few years I’ve got BT sports and the game goes off due to technical difficulties in the 7th. Ffs

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I've still got an MLB.tv subscription as part of a syndicate - worked out at £40 this year thanks to a rebate on a shortened season last year. £5 for a season of baseball coverage

Currently doing the middle-of-the-night feed, so watching the Giants vs Mariners - I've decided I should probably adopt the Giants as my second team since I see them more than any other team on account of working in the Bay Area so often throughout the year. A friend also decided to buy me a lovely Giants logo, knowing I was a baseball fan and love San Francisco, so I'm also putting that to use!

Y*nkees are 0-1, so it's a great start to the season
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Tigers 3 Indians 2

Tigers storm to the top of American League Central

Go Tigers!!

Absolutely CRUSHING it in my first game of Fantasy Baseball.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Tigers beat the Yankees 6-1

Still bottom of American League Central though

GB vs Canada on BT Sport 7:30pm tonight in the World Classic if anyones interested, played reasonably well against USA last night so fingers crossed for a better result tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An almighty cock up from the GB catcher sees Canada square it up at 3-3 with a double score bottom of the 1st, brutal stuff

Mercy rule in the 7th Canada win 18-8, not a bad performance from GB but defensively vulnerable and couldn’t close out strikes from 2-2 pitches. Hopefully they learn from this for tomorrow!

Gamer IDs

It's been great to see us represented on this stage (even if the Uniforms and 'British celebrations' have been fairly howling).

I hope it highlights the possibilities for anyone interested in baseball in the UK - we have a pretty thriving league across parts of the country - I was a member of the Guildford Mavericks for a good few years and the league down in the South East in particular is awesome - teams covering a wide geography and 3 levels (from AAA to A).

There's a more limited Scotland league too, featuring a couple of Edinburgh clubs, couple of Glasgow clubs and a team in Aberdeen. Not sure if that's the extent of it tbh!

It's been great to see us represented on this stage (even if the Uniforms and 'British celebrations' have been fairly howling).

I hope it highlights the possibilities for anyone interested in baseball in the UK - we have a pretty thriving league across parts of the country - I was a member of the Guildford Mavericks for a good few years and the league down in the South East in particular is awesome - teams covering a wide geography and 3 levels (from AAA to A).

There's a more limited Scotland league too, featuring a couple of Edinburgh clubs, couple of Glasgow clubs and a team in Aberdeen. Not sure if that's the extent of it tbh!
    Totally agree, imo the World Classic is the best way to get new people interested in the sport, not the MLB. Yes the quality in these early matches doesn’t compare outside of your USA, Japan, Korea and at a stretch Canada and Colombia. But that means more runs and that’s what people want to see, I like a good pitching performance don’t get me wrong but it’s not as exciting as a 4 run score homer is it?

Onto the bottom of the 6th and GB lead Colombia 5-3. If GB can see this out it could be huge for British Baseball, calm heads required boys, good luck!

Outstanding from the guys tonight finished up 7-5 to GB

I watched this last night, albeit because nothing else was on and it was quite a tense ending. Has to be said though, it's a tough watch and slow as hell.

Anyway, while a great win, how much of a boost to 'british' baseball is this? Pretty sure I heard the commentators say that a lot of the team were from the Bahamas?

baseball

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    I watched this last night, albeit because nothing else was on and it was quite a tense ending. Has to be said though, it's a tough watch and slow as hell.

Anyway, while a great win, how much of a boost to 'british' baseball is this? Pretty sure I heard the commentators say that a lot of the team were from the Bahamas?
    A lot of the team are from the Bahamas, the rest of the team are made of UK expats living in the states and Canada I believe. I know what you’re saying but with the first 3 games all starting at tea time GMT and viewership figures being pretty good according to most reports then hopefully it’ll encourage more people to get involved with their local clubs. It really was a tense ending and I’ll admit to being convinced they’d **** it up at one point there’s a few guys in that GB team that have really impressed me, especially Chavez Young and Harry Ford. The games between relatively poor to average teams at this stage are dreadfully slow I’ll agree but if you’re interested the MLB starts up again end of the month, don’t expect as many high scoring games though.

Also because GB have won a game at the WBC now they’ll receive funding from the MLB to help grow the game in the UK. Also the MLB London series is back again this year and hopefully that’ll become a regular occurrence. Just for qualifying GB received $300,000 which is split 50/50 between the players and the governing body, so basically British Baseball pocketed $150,000 extra before the first pitch was thrown. Add into that the revenue from sold merchandise which looks very popular judging by the amount of folk wearing it in the ground every night (thankfully the jerseys aren’t for sale, especially not Gibbaut’s from last night - embarrassing and very amateur looking imo) and it could end up being a game changing amount of money for British Baseball. Baring in mind their operating budget for last year was £25k.

Last edited by ErinGoBraghHFC; 14-03-2023 at 11:10 PM.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...KwQWJPZh3TNcOg

Good article, bit much calling one win a success imo but it’s better than most expected.

Cuba have been absolutely awful tonight, 9-2 USA in the 5th 🫣

Jesus Christ what a drive from Trea Turner, nearly took the leather off the ball. If he can keep this form up for the Phillies then I honestly fancy us for the World Series

Let no one be in any doubt, Shohei Ohtani is the best in the world. Hands down, no argument to be had, an unbelievable player. Out of contract next off season Phillies need to be offering him the world, imagine him, Harper and Realmuto in the same team?!

Is anyone planning on going to the London games? I'm in two minds as the ticket prices seem ridiculously expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Is anyone planning on going to the London games? I'm in two minds as the ticket prices seem ridiculously expensive.
    Me and the husband are going to the Sunday game, we are big Cardinals fans and will be great to see them play in London! (Have seen them play a few times in the states) We had tickets for the original fixtures but got cancelled due to Covid.

Not this year but planning to go for next years, regardless of who is playing tbh

Gamer IDs

There's genuinely not much difference for me in buying a flight to the States and getting a ticket for an actual home game!

I'm out in San Francisco again for work later this summer when the Giants have 3 home-series' so I've got tickets for 6 games. Can't wait for live baseball again.

There's genuinely not much difference for me in buying a flight to the States and getting a ticket for an actual home game!

I'm out in San Francisco again for work later this summer when the Giants have 3 home-series' so I've got tickets for 6 games. Can't wait for live baseball again.
    Fair play - I’m looking at getting away to Philadelphia some point in August for a week, been a while since I was in the states for a live game

Doesn’t look like a good opening day for the Red Sox so far, what a shame

Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    Doesn’t look like a good opening day for the Red Sox so far, what a shame

I am now beginning to regret this statement

Good to see the Phillies have sorted out their pitching, 9 runs given up in one inning **** me man, makes supporting hibs seem easy

Ordered a new Rawlings glove and got some glove butter to help break it in (didn’t bother for the last one I had and just put up with the blisters), anyone here have any idea what the best way to apply it is? Useless with this type of thing.