hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Paul Hanlon's return

Hanlon could be back after the break.

He didn't play in the Morton capitulation and was injured v Dumbarton in the next game albeit when we were getting beat.

Not the first time a bad run of form has coincided with his absence, can't wait to have him back, hopefully sporting a new contract.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    It will be a great boost to have him back. Mr consistency.

IMHO the Hanlon/McGregor combination has spared a lot of blushes this season for oxley (as they position themselves well and defend cross balls that ought - in most teams - to be the keepers ball)

The break up of that pairing has coincided with a lot of exposure to the simple cross ball, panicky defending and goals conceded

We've missed PH

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMHO the Hanlon/McGregor combination has spared a lot of blushes this season for oxley (as they position themselves well and defend cross balls that ought - in most teams - to be the keepers ball)

The break up of that pairing has coincided with a lot of exposure to the simple cross ball, panicky defending and goals conceded

We've missed PH
    Deary me. A thread commenting on Paul Hanlon and someone still manages to bash Oxley... Unsurprising but oh so boring.

This run of form certainly won't do his contract talks any harm we need him fit and signed up asap he is the one that holds defence together and look a much stronger unit

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Deary me. A thread commenting on Paul Hanlon and someone still manages to bash Oxley... Unsurprising but oh so boring.

Morning Mr Oxley !!

Hope he doesnt fancy a new club

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Hope he doesnt fancy a new club
    I'm sure he wants to stay at Hibs. If the word was out that he was going to leave then there would have been pre-contract offers surely?

Lynchpin of the team, his return should help steady the ship.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

We've missed PH
    Surely the exposure to cross balls is down to poor defending and it's not oxleys fault?

First Team Breakthrough bournehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Surely the exposure to cross balls is down to poor defending and it's not oxleys fault?
    Don't think the Ox's form has dipped that much over the last few games. What has happened is that he has been exposed a bit more during Hanlon's absence.
    PH has been a massive player for us in this exciting campaign, and no coincidence that we've leaked soft goals whilst he's been injured.

Hurry back Paul, you're needed for the final push !

bh

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bournehibby View Post
    Don't think the Ox's form has dipped that much over the last few games. What has happened is that he has been exposed a bit more during Hanlon's absence.
    PH has been a massive player for us in this exciting campaign, and no coincidence that we've leaked soft goals whilst he's been injured.

Hurry back Paul, you're needed for the final push !

bh
    Good player but you do remember he was on the pitch when we were 3 down to Dumbarton including having a big say in goal 2 along with the keeper.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    I think it is a simple matter of getting Hanlon back and we will get promotion. Without him, we will stay in the Championship.

Back working in the gym according to my source and has scrambled egg on toast for his breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    It was fair comment.

Paul Hanlon's return

Hanlon and Mcgeogh back and I would feel a lot more confident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ozyhibby; 23-03-2016 at 01:37 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Hanlon and Mcgeogh back and I would feel a lot more confident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fyvie's been a big miss.

We've missed PH
    So our defenders have bailed our keeper out by defending properly?

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    And if they don't defend properly all the blame lies with the keeper. We can't have Oxley getting credit for anything basically.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    No

our defenders have had to bail him out by defending loads more balls (6yard box territory) than most defenders would usually have to.
    it all means we sit deeper and the goals we lose to crosses and corners (Morton, Ross county, Dumbarton, Raith) are often from very close range.

My point on this Paul Hanlon thread was that most of those (except Dumbarton) have come when Hanlon has been out as he has bailed us out a lot in the 6 yard box (the keepers natural domain) throughout this season.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    And if they don't defend properly all the blame lies with the keeper. We can't have Oxley getting credit for anything basically.
    He scored a goal once. I blame Cummings for not being on the end of Oxleys long pass to just tap it in

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

It doesn't matter who does what, as long as they know what to expect of one another.

We never lost goals from cross balls when Rob Jones was here because it was his responsibility, he got his noggin on everything.

Sometimes you'll have a keeper who fancies himself at coming for crosses - the defenders just leave balls for him to claim. That works.

Colgan never came for much, but the defence dealt with it all leaving him to do his stuff his way, and that (largely) worked.

I don't know why but I just don't think we'd have lost the 1st goal we lost against Morton if Paul Hanlon had been on the park. And that goal seems to have set the tone for our past few games, we were doing fine (especially defensively) until it went in.

This shouldn't be about Oxley bashing or whatever - for the most part this season, as long as Paul Hanlon has been in it our defensive unit has looked solid. That includes our much-maligned goalkeeper.
    Last edited by Smartie; 23-03-2016 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    I think it is a simple matter of getting Hanlon back and we will get promotion. Without him, we will stay in the Championship.
    Yep. He's been that important. Player of the year was in the bag until the injury. Brilliant news he'll get a good run of games before the semi and the playoff game.

Blog Entries
    Paul, Dylan & Fraser all back after the break. Great news!

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    I'm sure he wants to stay at Hibs. If the word was out that he was going to leave then there would have been pre-contract offers surely?

Lynchpin of the team, his return should help steady the ship.
    If we stay down he won't.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It doesn't matter who does what, as long as they know what to expect of one another.

We never lost goals from cross balls when Rob Jones was here because it was his responsibility, he got his noggin on everything.

Sometimes you'll have a keeper who fancies himself at coming for crosses - the defenders just leave balls for him to claim. That works.

Colgan never came for much, but the defence dealt with it all leaving him to do his stuff his way, and that (largely) worked.

I don't know why but I just don't think we'd have lost the 1st goal we lost against Morton if Paul Hanlon had been on the park. And that goal seems to have set the tone for our past few games, we were doing fine (especially defensively) until it went in.

This shouldn't be about Oxley bashing or whatever - for the most part this season, as long as Paul Hanlon has been in it our defensive unit has looked solid. That includes our much-maligned goalkeeper.

Revisionism at its worst. Did he bollox.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Revisionism at its worst. Did he bollox.
    Jones was outstanding at backs to the wall stuff and heading crosses away. I remember there being a couple of games towards the end of Mixu's time when we played both of the Old Firm in quick succession at ER. He was outstanding in both. They were flinging everything they could into the box as they were both chasing the title and iirc we drew both, one game 1-1 and the other 0-0.

A while after he left we developed a weakness from crosses (may have been when Stack was here) and we were all longing for the time when Jones was dealing with the majority of these balls.

Jones had his weaknesses (remember the crazy charges into the midfield when his man dropped deep) but I only ever remember him being superb at clearing crosses and us not losing many goals from crosses during this spell - an achilles heel we've suffered from a few times over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Jones was outstanding at backs to the wall stuff and heading crosses away. I remember there being a couple of games towards the end of Mixu's time when we played both of the Old Firm in quick succession at ER. He was outstanding in both. They were flinging everything they could into the box as they were both chasing the title and iirc we drew both, one game 1-1 and the other 0-0.

A while after he left we developed a weakness from crosses (may have been when Stack was here) and we were all longing for the time when Jones was dealing with the majority of these balls.

Jones had his weaknesses (remember the crazy charges into the midfield when his man dropped deep) but I only ever remember him being superb at clearing crosses and us not losing many goals from crosses during this spell - an achilles heel we've suffered from a few times over the years.
    Indeed, agree with all of that. My only gripe with Jones is the way he screamed and shouted at his teammates after a mistake, Maka in particular, which I never thought was really 'captain' behaviour. But he was a great, and underrated player for us.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Indeed, agree with all of that. My only gripe with Jones is the way he screamed and shouted at his teammates after a mistake, Maka in particular, which I never thought was really 'captain' behaviour. But he was a great, and underrated player for us.
    Don't think Maka recovered after the volleys he got from Jones bollah - I agree with all your post, Jones was a great player but he berated the confidence from the big felly.

Left by mutual consent!
    Back training tomorrow

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Schteff View Post
    Back training tomorrow
    Good to hear.