hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2nd, 3rd or 4th - What's the difference?

At the end of the day, it's only 2 extra games.

OK - I know we already have a fixture pile up in April and position in league determines who plays home or away in the playoff games but remember that made no difference in the Hamilton play off in 2014 and didn't help us last season either against The Rangers.

We WILL be in the play offs. There is no doubt about that. We just need to turn this poor run round and go in to them with a confident winning (unbeaten) run behind us.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    The fact this is even an issue shows just how much we have failed to build from last season. From not winning the league to what happens if we do not even finish 2nd. Seriously? Is this where we are at?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The fact this is even an issue shows just how much we have failed to build from last season. From not winning the league to what happens if we do not even finish 2nd. Seriously? Is this where we are at?
    Sadly it is.
    The only outcome that would really be termed a true success would be winning this league in the same way we did in 1980 and 1999. Only chance of that happening is 3rd term in Championship. Something that is looking more likely as each game passes.

The playoffs give us a chance but it's a poor substitute that gives the teams who haven't had the best results think they have achieved something. If it turns out to be our salvation this season then fine but hardly something we should be proud of or be celebrating as an achievement given some of our recent displays.

We are Hibs for goodness sake. One of the so called big clubs in Scotland. When will we start to act like if on a consistent basis?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    The fact we have to settle for 2nd in the championship never mind 3rd or 4th shows how far we've fallen. It's unacceptable and the players will need the bye and rest if we manage to pull this off.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Two more games, ironically against the team that have just beaten us a few hours ago

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Sadly it is.
    The only outcome that would really be termed a true success would be winning this league in the same way we did in 1980 and 1999. Only chance of that happening is 3rd term in Championship. Something that is looking more likely as each game passes.

The playoffs give us a chance but it's a poor substitute that gives the teams who haven't had the best results think they have achieved something. If it turns out to be our salvation this season then fine but hardly something we should be proud of or be celebrating as an achievement given some of our recent displays.

We are Hibs for goodness sake. One of the so called big clubs in Scotland. When will we start to act like if on a consistent basis?

Fanbase tells us we are one of the top five bbiggest Clubs in Scotland, however never in my lifetime and I doubt in many's have Hibs ever acted like a big club, we can do some good things and some great things but its always coupled with a great big boot in the stones, I have no idea why or how

Under the current structure of the play offs, I can't see any 3rd or 4th placed side in the Championship ever being promoted.

Six matches is too much in such a short space of time.

The fact that we're even contemplating the idea that we might end up finishing below Falkirk is a really sobering thought.

We need to finish second or it's another season in the Championship as far as i'm concerned.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar

2nd, 3rd or 4th - What's the difference?

we need to make sure we have time to get a decent trip to La Manga in too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Under the current structure of the play offs, I can't see any 3rd or 4th placed side in the Championship ever being promoted.

The fact that we're even contemplating the idea that we might end up finishing below Falkirk is a really sobering thought.

We need to finish second or it's another season in the Championship as far as i'm concerned.
    The way the play-offs are structured is definitely to the benefit of the premiership team.

The first set of play-offs seen Falkirk prevail in the third/fourth tie against queens but they were suffering big time come the end of the Hamilton tie. Hamilton themselves were cream crackered in the final but a combination of good management, never say die spirit and ****ing dreadful opposition saw them just make it and no more.

The second year saw a close encounter between Sevco and QOS which saw one team scrape through. Unfortunately it seemed like Sevco carried on their momentum into the first tie against us and done just enough to get through in the second leg. I think the games took their toll against Motherwell and even though rangers had more quality, Motherwell seemed that bit sharper and took their chances.

It will be a very tall order to win the play offs if we finish third due to sheer number of games, especially if we have a cup final to deal with too. Theoretically it could be:
    Wednesday Raith away
    Saturday Raith home
    Wednesday Falkirk home
    Saturday Falkirk away
    Wednesday Kilmarnock home
    Saturday Scottish cup final
    Wednesday Kilmarnock away

Even if you take the final away and replace it with the killie game it's still a tall order. Only the mugs were lumping on us winning this league but this extra two games wasn't part of the deal. Ironically, a Scottish cup final might just prove a pain in the erse. Even if we beat united and play the Huns maybe we should rest Stokes and Hendo for the important games.

This season is mental but honestly, I'm loving it. Living on the edge or what?

Coaching Staff

Quite simply this current Hibs side could not be expected to perform with any degree of consistency over 6 matches, and it could take only one poor performance to scupper us.

OK - I know we already have a fixture pile up in April and position in league determines who plays home or away in the playoff games but remember that made no difference in the Hamilton play off in 2014 and didn't help us last season either against The Rangers.

We WILL be in the play offs. There is no doubt about that. We just need to turn this poor run round and go in to them with a confident winning (unbeaten) run behind us.
    Totally agree for one of the few times in my Hibee life (+50 yrs ) I was not concerned about to-day.

The team has been on a rollercoaster for a week. We will still win the playoffs and beat Der Hun in the Holy Grail Final

Quote Originally Posted by JOD View Post
    Totally agree for one of the few times in my Hibee life (+50 yrs ) I was not concerned about to-day.

The team has been on a rollercoaster for a week. We will still win the playoffs and beat Der Hun in the Holy Grail Final
    The two hertz games have taken more out of the team than we thought with the two caley games as well. The injuries to Hanlon,mcgeoch and fyfie have also greatly not helped. The cup results have shown we are a decent side who would hold their own in the premier league. Maybe there is an attitude problem. Its almost as if we have accepted the playoffs and are just counting down the days.

Hibs used to be one of the major players in Scottish football - not any more - I'm gutted.

We're no Real Madrid.The cup games have probably caused the slump but that's all the more reason to put everything into the Scottish cup.We're in the playoffs now gaurenteeed anyway.Do we fight tooth and nail to get second playing our best team every game? this will probably result in them being completely knackered by the business end.Or, Rotate the squad best we can and keep everyone fresh as possible? I say rotate the team.Falirk and Raith most likely don't have as big squads as us and will be out on their feet come playoff time.

I'm pretty sure that there is a scientific term for when folk start trying to justify bad outcomes to themselves en masse.

First Team Breakthrough Risboro Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post
    we need to make sure we have time to get a decent trip to La Manga in too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's comments like this that remind me why I just love being a Hibby

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Quite simply this current Hibs side could not be expected to perform with any degree of consistency over 6 matches, and it could take only one poor performance to scupper us.
    I would always expect this current Hibs squad to perform with a degree of consistency over 6 games. We won something like 17 on the bounce already. With Hanlon, McGeoch, Fyvie & Co back , I can see us kicking on again.
    The International break will be good for everyone ( including fans too ). The players who will be away could benefit by forgetting the domestic scene for a bit. IMO. The ones staying at home will have a fortnight rest from matchday , time to recover, recharge and prepare for the final run in.

I'm still expectant 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    But that's where are and no point in wallowing in self-pity. Finishing 2nd would be best, but if that doesn't happen, Hibs can't just chuck it.

In some ways I can see how a 3rd place finish could actually HELP Hibs promotion chances. The most dangerous teams are those that others have written off or who get a second chance. If Stubbs can inject some confidence back into the team, with players coming back, Hibs can win the 3 v 4th PO. Hibs will have momentum and Falkirk will not fancy playing a resurgent Hibs, who all but thought their promotion hopes were dead. This is about good management and using your circumstances to your advantage. Other teams and managers do it all the time, and Hibs have shown time and again against Prem team that they can beat anyone. If we all feel sorry for ourselves, we're as good as finished.

I think we can afford to experiment with the remaining fixtures, it is a chance to relax and play the football we know we are capable of.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Anyone who tried to suggest that a 4th place finish would have been in any way acceptable at the start of the season would have had their posts counted and allegiances questioned. Expectations are rightly set at the kick off and then monitored.

That's a good point. It's easier being the underdog and chasing than it is to stay ahead. Hibs have been the main competition to the Huns throughout the season (Falkirk gave up before a ball was kicked). So, losing to Morton and then Dumbarton all but killed any hope of winning the league. That is crushing for a team who thought they were in with a genuine chance, so maybe our collapse is not so surprising after all. Falkirk then see a real chance of catching Hibs, while they're down. Hibs de-motoivated, Falkirk motivated.

Let's see how Houston and Falkirk handle being favourites for 2nd place in the weeks to come, or sitting there waiting for the winners of the Hibs v Other PO games.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Anyone who tried to suggest that a 4th place finish would have been in any way acceptable at the start of the season would have had their posts counted and allegiances questioned. Expectations are rightly set at the kick off and then monitored.
    I don't think anyone is saying it's acceptable. However promotion is the aim and I couldn't care if we get if finishing 2nd 3rd or 4th. Promotion is acceptable and I still believe we will get it irrespective of where we finish

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    But we now have to start dealing with the present. Anyone suggesting Stubbs gets fired at this point, or that we've blown our promotion hopes, needs to go on a long holiday. 2nd place guarantees you NOTHING and we need to start thinking how fortunate we are to still have a chance of promotion if we finish 3rd or 4th.

Surely we're now looking at struggling to even beat Raith in the first play off games?

the difference is PRIDE

We have been let down dramatically by the present pool of players,they have shown themselves to be big game players only and that does not win you a league as we have seen.
    Despite AS constant The league is our priority it is obvious it is HIS and not the players priority.
    This is HIBERNIAN FC for goodness sake, losing to a part time team is a shocker ,and so are the past recent league game results.
    AS says on a regular basis he trusts the players, exactly what is that based on?..not early or recent performances , so on what exactly?

Some serious amount of straw clutching going on in this thread. If we don't finish second we won't go up.

I think we'll need to beat Falkirk at home and take something from The Rangers game to finish second. April is going to be one of the most important months in our club's recent history. Bring it on

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Surely we're now looking at struggling to even beat Raith in the first play off games?
    Is that how football works ?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    But we now have to start dealing with the present. Anyone suggesting Stubbs gets fired at this point, or that we've blown our promotion hopes, needs to go on a long holiday. 2nd place guarantees you NOTHING and we need to start thinking how fortunate we are to still have a chance of promotion if we finish 3rd or 4th.
    The point is if the job is getting done correctly I would have 100% or near it we would go up. Look at the squad the stadium the fan base.

All we have shown in last few weeks is we have an issue that is serious enough to have this far from a given. Maybe you are confident but I am not and after the time he has had that shouldn't be case. Nothing is certain I know but to be losing to teams round about us now is a worry.

Left by mutual consent!
    Surely this isn't even a serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Is that how football works ?
    We're in horrendous form...erm, yes?