hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Cinema

Cinema

Been with the Mrs past 2 Wednesday's... Our day off together. Deadpool last week which was brilliant. Best Marvel film to date. Yesterday went to see Spotlight. Highly recommend it. Any recommendations for next week?!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Depends what your into. Not seen them yet but heard The Witch and High Rise are supposed to be great. Two films I'd gone and see

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I saw hail Ceaser last night.

Meh.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Depends on your humour, but I thought Grimsby was really funny. Going to see 10 Cloverfield Lane tomorrow, not into horrors at all but the trailer looks good.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Just watched the Revenant.
    Absoutely fantastic film . Cannot recommend it enough.
    The scene with the bear is terrifying .

Fantastic
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    The boy...Going to see it nixt week

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just watched the Revenant.
    Absoutely fantastic film . Cannot recommend it enough.
    The scene with the bear is terrifying .

Fantastic
    Plan to watch that later on showbox.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Plan to watch that later on showbox.
    I hope you get a good stream. Mine was very nearly HD.
    Utterly transfixed from the beginning .

Hope you enjoy it.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Films don't seem to get as big a right up here as tv series,so I thought that I'd try and get it going
    Went to see jungle book at the weekend thought it was really good and hopefully going to see captain America this week
    Really looking forward to that love all the marvel stuff
    Loads of quality looking films coming up this year
    So any thoughts recommendations?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    My wife is taking her grandfather to a classical concert in Glasgow this evening so I'm off to see Eye in the Sky on my tod.

Was originally not that fussed seeing the trailers but it's getting an excellent write-up and the critics seem to absolutely love it!

Civil War on Monday Bank Holiday too.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    My wife is taking her grandfather to a classical concert in Glasgow this evening so I'm off to see Eye in the Sky on my tod.

Was originally not that fussed seeing the trailers but it's getting an excellent write-up and the critics seem to absolutely love it!

Civil war was immense,
    What did you think?

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar

I thought Eye in the Sky was excellent. Last time I remember feeling so tense watching a film was Argo.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    Civil war was immense,
    What did you think?
    Enjoyed Civil War more than I expected to - Civil War is probably my favourite graphic novel and I was worried how they'd handle it. It fell short in a lot of ways but it was a good fun film and I really liked the continuation of the Cap/Bucky storyline. I thought the new Spiderman was excellent and I found the overall story and enjoyable watch. As ever though, a gross underuse of Scarlett Johansson.

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    I thought Eye in the Sky was excellent. Last time I remember feeling so tense watching a film was Argo.
    Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed it too. A friend said to me afterwards she didn't enjoy it as she'd have pushed the button shortly after it started. I think she missed the point...

[QUOTE=Sylar;4668178]Enjoyed Civil War more than I expected to - Civil War is probably my favourite graphic novel and I was worried how they'd handle it. It fell short in a lot of ways but it was a good fun film and I really liked the continuation of the Cap/Bucky storyline. I thought the new Spiderman was excellent and I found the overall story and enjoyable watch. As ever though, a gross underuse of Scarlett Johansson.

Yeah I was a bit wary about how they would squeeze everyone in
    But I felt they had a done a pretty good job of utilising all of them we just need more black widow as I find her to be probably one of the more underated characters
    But all in all I'm looking forward to more and more marvel stuff coming out over the next few years

Civil War was a lot of fun.

Gamer IDs

Went to see Bastille Day after work last night and can't claim to have enjoyed it at all really. I like Idris Elba and he was enjoyable enough but weak, unexplored plot; baffling contrast of French setting with pretty much wholly American cast and a total lack of any character development.

What was worse, I appear to have booked into a subtitled screening - it was easy enough to ignore after a point but when there was French dialogue, the subtitles were French - a good test of my limited working knowledge!

Went to see Bastille Day after work last night and can't claim to have enjoyed it at all really. I like Idris Elba and he was enjoyable enough but weak, unexplored plot; baffling contrast of French setting with pretty much wholly American cast and a total lack of any character development.

What was worse, I appear to have booked into a subtitled screening - it was easy enough to ignore after a point but when there was French dialogue, the subtitles were French - a good test of my limited working knowledge!
    I did enjoy it. You are right much of what you say. The characters motivations are largely unexplored. That said it is a solid action film - essentially a heist movie. The good guys are the good guys. They are trying to stop the bad guys. Explosions. Rooftop chases. Idris Elba being Idris Elba. Enough to while away an hour or so.

Something like Eye in the Sky is probably deeper and more meaningful. Bastille Day is bit more of a leave your brain at home actioner.

I also ended up at an audio described showing although it was 10 Cloverfield Lane. Easy to miss this information when you are booking your ticket! I just picked a film at a time that suited and ended up in said subtitled showing. It took a few minutes to get used to but I managed to enjoy the film. Fortunately, in my case, the subtitles were in English :)

Went to the premier of Finding Dory at the film festival yesterday. Can't recommend it highly enough. Great Pixar short before it called Piper but the main event itself was better than Finding Nemo. Some laugh out loud moments, great voice talent (Idris Elba, Ed ONeal) a breath taking climax and one of the best uses of a really well known song in a film ever.

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Went to the premier of Finding Dory at the film festival yesterday. Can't recommend it highly enough. Great Pixar short before it called Piper but the main event itself was better than Finding Nemo. Some laugh out loud moments, great voice talent (Idris Elba, Ed ONeal) a breath taking climax and one of the best uses of a really well known song in a film ever.

That's good to hear massive fan of cartoon films thought zootopia recently was excellent

Also went to see the new xmen last week thought it was very good

Have to take my wee lad to finding dory.

Not in the cinema but watched Dope on Sky movies recently and I can't recommend it enough. Best film I've seen since Whiplash.

@hibs.net private member
    Saw Ghostbusters the other day, loved it. Cheesy fun, exactly as it should be. Not a fan of Melissa McArthy but she was fine in this.

Off to see suicide squad this afternoon, really looking forward to this one.

Went to see the BFG today (damn you Hibs and your away games being sold out!)

It's alright. Technically stunning and a great performance of sorts from Mark Rylance. There's just not much of a story.

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Not in the cinema but watched Dope on Sky movies recently and I can't recommend it enough. Best film I've seen since Whiplash.
    Johnny Depp?

If so, aye, it's a great film.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Johnny Depp?

If so, aye, it's a great film.
    Nah, that's Blow. Great film though!

This is about a black kid at school in LA but he's a geek with dreams of going to Harvard. He gets mixed up with a drug dealer but instead of being a sterotypical tale it's quite honest and refreshing.

Great 90s hip hop soundtrack too.