hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Agreed, and I've been to a lot of stadia around Europe.
    Of course it's not a great stadium - it had to be re-developed on the cheap, but it's nowhere near as bad as people make out.
    As for the transport links etc, and time to egress the area, it's miles better than a lot of major stadiums e.g. try getting away from Wembley after a match.
    I used to think that, went with my brother in law (a Londoner) and find it incredibly convenient to get to/from.

The trouble was I was following the heards out of Wembley down Wembley way to get to Wembley Park. What he showed me was to go overground from Wembley Stadium change at Marylebone and in to Paddington. Took me 40 minutes to get back to Paddington then onto my train back to Chippenham. I now love Wembley.

J

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I didnt think it was that bad on sunday, a 10 minute walk to the bus which for some might be to far ill admit, was parked about 2 minutes from the motorway so got on with no issues, seats in the north stand were fine. Cant say we had any issues.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    I didnt think it was that bad on sunday, a 10 minute walk to the bus which for some might be to far ill admit, was parked about 2 minutes from the motorway so got on with no issues, seats in the north stand were fine. Cant say we had any issues.
    You must walk at some pace

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Ok it was maybe 15 minutes at a push but all in all i didnt think it was that bad, would have been better getting oarked at the stadium but that doesnt happen at many stadiums and yip we were pretty much on the motorway, we were parked up almost straight off the slip road

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    I used to think that, went with my brother in law (a Londoner) and find it incredibly convenient to get to/from.

The trouble was I was following the heards out of Wembley down Wembley way to get to Wembley Park. What he showed me was to go overground from Wembley Stadium change at Marylebone and in to Paddington. Took me 40 minutes to get back to Paddington then onto my train back to Chippenham. I now love Wembley.

J
    Fair point, a bit of local knowledge can make a huge difference - same is true at Hampden.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    Regardless of the result yesterday, this gripe would have been the same, HAMPDEN IS A DUMP AND NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.
    The ground itself, whilst not even being anywhere near the largest you will find for a national stadium, cannot cater for the amount of fans it's meant to hold. The lack of toilet facilities, especially for ladies, who make up a good percentage of football fans these days, is very poor and I'm surprised there was not any trouble or even injuries as people queued forever to get in. Not only that, because of the passageways, it was almost a battle to get by those waiting to use the loo (North stand) and if anybody had tripped or been knocked over, goodness knows what might have happened.

However, the Not fit for purpose' complaint start long before you get to the stadium, and then a long time after also.

The ground was probably about 8,000 short of capacity yesterday but the lack of parking available for buses was shocking. Our bus was registered and had a number allocated to it with instructions on where to go, but this was miles away from the ground. We arrived at least 50 minutes before kick-off but it felt like we were half way back to Edinburgh before we got parked, not helped by the Weegie polis on bikes who wouldn't let a bus stop to drop off passengers, even in the area were directed to.
    In this day and age, a national stadium should have designated coach parking close to the ground, along with car parking facilities. It should also have easy access and egress to and from the ground on to motorway to get traffic in and out quite quickly (we were still jammed in by other coaches at 6.00pm and there were plenty others still there after we managed to squeeze out).

This is a 1980's stadium surrounded by a 1950's infrastructure and is just not good enough for a national stadium, I HATE THE PLACE.
    As a national stadium it really is a disgrace, filthy and as you say not fit for purpose. Can anyone explain why Wales got funding from the lottery for their stadium and we have this old relic?

Being a posh barsteward I usually go to the corporate facilities but these are also pretty poor compared to other national stadiums. I just do not like Hampden as a location. You cannot take public transport without involving many changes and supporters buses have to park a 30 min walk away. And as for taking your car, forget it.

Wales has a National Stadium in Cardiff that is used by both codes, however, the SFA will never consider using Murrayfield because it is in Edinburgh and owned by the SRU. If Network Rail built a station on the main Glasgow-Edinburgh line adjacent to the tram stop (only used on match days) then supporters could come from the central belt without needing to enter the city centre. It will never happen, though.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gail View Post
    As a national stadium it really is a disgrace, filthy and as you say not fit for purpose. Can anyone explain why Wales got funding from the lottery for their stadium and we have this old relic?
    ...probably because the Welsh FA applied for it, and put up a case.

Football Specials

Do people remember when British Rail ran football specials to Hampden. Haymarket direct to Mount Florida station. When did they stop? Was it following privatisation of the railways in the late 90s?

I remember after one Scotland international (in the late 70s) getting on the 'Edinburgh' train a bit bevvied, finding a seat and immediately falling asleep. Woke up as the train was leaving Perth on its way to Inverness. That was a long night, that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Gail View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    ...probably because the Welsh FA applied for it, and put up a case.
    We got funding from the lottery as well. Hence why there is a logo in the stadium.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    We got funding from the lottery as well. Hence why there is a logo in the stadium.
    Cheers

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    I'm guessing they got quite a bit more than we did comparing the two.

For many years only the west or Rangers end as it was known was covered. The East or Celtic end was open as was the North. The South had an old wooden stand. When Rangers scored no one could see due to the dust. When we played Celtic there was no proper segregation and we used to congregate in the west alongside thousands of them. Bad fighting every time with bottles flying. If we were leading Nd playing well they invaded the pitch which happened regularly to disrupt the flow.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BH Hibs View Post
    I seem to remember there was a proposal to build a new stadium on the old BL site at Bathgate can't remember why this fell through whether it was funding or an insistence on the stadium being in Glasgow. Missed opportunity though.
    It was option 2 because "Football's a west coast game".

They could hardly justify a stadium outside Glasgow with a "rangers" and a "celtic" end.

Oops, I meant The the Rangers sevco and septic end.

Now there's an idea