hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar

Hampden - Not Fit for Purpose

Regardless of the result yesterday, this gripe would have been the same, HAMPDEN IS A DUMP AND NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.
    The ground itself, whilst not even being anywhere near the largest you will find for a national stadium, cannot cater for the amount of fans it's meant to hold. The lack of toilet facilities, especially for ladies, who make up a good percentage of football fans these days, is very poor and I'm surprised there was not any trouble or even injuries as people queued forever to get in. Not only that, because of the passageways, it was almost a battle to get by those waiting to use the loo (North stand) and if anybody had tripped or been knocked over, goodness knows what might have happened.

However, the Not fit for purpose' complaint start long before you get to the stadium, and then a long time after also.

The ground was probably about 8,000 short of capacity yesterday but the lack of parking available for buses was shocking. Our bus was registered and had a number allocated to it with instructions on where to go, but this was miles away from the ground. We arrived at least 50 minutes before kick-off but it felt like we were half way back to Edinburgh before we got parked, not helped by the Weegie polis on bikes who wouldn't let a bus stop to drop off passengers, even in the area were directed to.
    In this day and age, a national stadium should have designated coach parking close to the ground, along with car parking facilities. It should also have easy access and egress to and from the ground on to motorway to get traffic in and out quite quickly (we were still jammed in by other coaches at 6.00pm and there were plenty others still there after we managed to squeeze out).

This is a 1980's stadium surrounded by a 1950's infrastructure and is just not good enough for a national stadium, I HATE THE PLACE.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Maybe if the bogs weren't used by dozens of smokers there would be less of an issue?

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    The stands are too shallow, meaning larges areas of the stadium have poor views. Really poor re-development job was done. I wish I'd had chance to experience the old Hampden.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

It's a crap stadium. I honestly struggle to think of 1 redeeming feature it has. The view from top tier of the South maybe?

Stands behind the goals miles from the pitch, shallow gradient to the other stands offering shan views, tightly packed walkways, turnstiles that are like a relic from the 70s and unable to cope with numbers (we joined our queue 25 minutes before kick off time and got in just as the teams were coming out), terrible to non existent parking facilities and quite literally not one decent access or exit route.

It's a dump.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

It's a hole. Do we really need a national stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Regardless of the result yesterday, this gripe would have been the same, HAMPDEN IS A DUMP AND NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.
    The ground itself, whilst not even being anywhere near the largest you will find for a national stadium, cannot cater for the amount of fans it's meant to hold. The lack of toilet facilities, especially for ladies, who make up a good percentage of football fans these days, is very poor and I'm surprised there was not any trouble or even injuries as people queued forever to get in. Not only that, because of the passageways, it was almost a battle to get by those waiting to use the loo (North stand) and if anybody had tripped or been knocked over, goodness knows what might have happened.

However, the Not fit for purpose' complaint start long before you get to the stadium, and then a long time after also.

The ground was probably about 8,000 short of capacity yesterday but the lack of parking available for buses was shocking. Our bus was registered and had a number allocated to it with instructions on where to go, but this was miles away from the ground. We arrived at least 50 minutes before kick-off but it felt like we were half way back to Edinburgh before we got parked, not helped by the Weegie polis on bikes who wouldn't let a bus stop to drop off passengers, even in the area were directed to.
    In this day and age, a national stadium should have designated coach parking close to the ground, along with car parking facilities. It should also have easy access and egress to and from the ground on to motorway to get traffic in and out quite quickly (we were still jammed in by other coaches at 6.00pm and there were plenty others still there after we managed to squeeze out).

This is a 1980's stadium surrounded by a 1950's infrastructure and is just not good enough for a national stadium, I HATE THE PLACE.
    Totally agree. We had a pass for the purple car park next to the stadium but when we got there at around 2pm it was full. We then had to park almost at the side of the motorway. We had people on the coach who found the long walk a challenge to say the least. We didn't get back home until after 8 o'clock. Three full hours after getting on the bus is just shocking. The traffic lights weren't letting the coaches throughand there was no police trying to help the traffic flow and as you say the stadium wasn't full. You have to expect it to be busy and a bit of a wait to get away but that yeterday was just not acceptable.

@hibs.net private member
    Think there has been talk of moving from Hampden to murryfield before

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    No chance, the GFA would never allow that to happen.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    It's a death trap. I was in the North and the congestion at half time for people going to the toilets was unbelievable. The top area is far too small, and was almost leading to crushing

I think we do need a national stadium but I don't think Hampden is suitable.

They have a huge area of ground to use but they don't make the most of the space they do have.

It would be better if they knocked it down and rebuilt it on the same spot.

It would be better still if they found a suitable site with decent transport links and built a state-of-the-art stadium that they could use for gigs etc throughout the rest of the year as well.

It's shambolic and not fit for purpose but that makes it kind of appropriate as a national stadium for Scotland.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    I would have no problem with this - sell Hampden and reinvest the proceeds into grass roots Scottish football as well as a share in Murrayfield. There are few national stadia - perhaps the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff - with transport connections to compare with Murrayfield. I doubt very much if it would take three hours to get back to Glasgow from there in the way it seems to have taken that long for many of us to make the return yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    The stands are too shallow, meaning larges areas of the stadium have poor views. Really poor re-development job was done. I wish I'd had chance to experience the old Hampden.
    The only thing I can think of worse than the new re-developed on the cheap Hampden is the old Hampden. It had all the drawbacks it has now plus open uncovered terracing, crushing, raining bottles, bits of stand falling off, ash terracing, rivers of pish, etc.

Apparently the new one has really nice hospitality areas for suits which is why it's a 5 star stadium that gets European finals and Parkhead and Ibrox, both of which are actually great for ordinary mug punters watching the game, aren't.

Kind of sums up all that's wrong with modern football.

I don't mind Hampden. It is what it is. It's a complete ballache to get away from after a game though. Took my car longer to get the few miles from Hampden to the motorway than it did for the remaining 50 odd miles.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I like it.

Just sucks that we rarely win there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    No chance, the GFA would never allow that to happen.
    My buddy made a decent point, the only real reason there is a need for the hole is to give the infirm a neutral ground to play their cup bigot fests.

First Team Breakthrough Bob1875's Avatar
    The pies are pish aswell.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    I would have no problem with this - sell Hampden and reinvest the proceeds into grass roots Scottish football as well as a share in Murrayfield. There are few national stadia - perhaps the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff - with transport connections to compare with Murrayfield. I doubt very much if it would take three hours to get back to Glasgow from there in the way it seems to have taken that long for many of us to make the return yesterday.
    Does Hampden not belong to Queens Park?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    The only thing I can think of worse than the new re-developed on the cheap Hampden is the old Hampden. It had all the drawbacks it has now plus open uncovered terracing, crushing, raining bottles, bits of stand falling off, ash terracing, rivers of pish, etc.

Apparently the new one has really nice hospitality areas for suits which is why it's a 5 star stadium that gets European finals and Parkhead and Ibrox, both of which are actually great for ordinary mug punters watching the game, aren't.

Kind of sums up all that's wrong with modern football.
    All the redevelopment money went into the main stand. Incredibly terrible job done especially the stands behind the goal. Atrocious stadium and takes an age to get away from it.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob1875 View Post
    The pies are pish aswell.
    And they don't sell chips or Pizza in the North stand

Such an unlucky ground for us it's supernatural.

First Team Breakthrough
    If you park on Carmunnock Road beside Old Cathcart Parish Church and then drive home via Carmunnock, across Cathkin Braes, A749, A725 , hookup up with M8 you will be a half mile walk from the ground and back to Edinburgh in an hour. Done it many times.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    We couldn't even see the crossbar of one of the goals from where we were sitting.
    We got the train yesterday. We left at FT, waited in queue at Mount Florida in a relatively reasonable time frame compared to other occasions. Got to Central, walked to Queen Street, etc. We arrived at Queen Street at the same time as a colleague who said he couldn't find the bus he was booked on, had searched for a bit, gave up and walked back into the city centre. Yet it took the same time as the train.

Must be the only national stadium in Europe where it's legitimately quicker to walk back to the city centre than take public transport/extract yourself on a supporters bus.

Absolute midden of a stadium, but I bet it's the best place in the world to be when we win a final, a feat that, in 4 such visits, I've yet to see us achieve.

First Team Breakthrough
    We left. The ground at 4.45 ,got in a taxi at 5.30 and arrived at our bus 1mile away at 6.40. What a s----hole of a place,

I was in the East, row F, and the view was horrendous.

Important thread. £25 over-priced for facilities. Lots of better seats unsold by SFA in main stand.
    View poor for sitting owing to oval legacy layout. Pleased standing occurred as singing was aided. Sitting and singing doesn't work.
    "Hampden, Scotland's national stadium"...this is an embarrassment. Murray field should be used instead.
    50 minutes to leave, infrastructure poor. How 150,000 were catered for in the olden days, I have no idea.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    Does Hampden not belong to Queens Park?
    You're absolutely right. They can keep it then under my plan.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Had a space in the yellow car park as we had hospitality and the Glasgow police kept us in the car park for 40 minutes....sitting doing nothing as it was a H&S issue apparently.
    Then when we did move it was seriously heaving......never again parking in any of these car parks
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I must have looked a dodgy character as they wouldn't sell me a bottle of water and insisted that they first of all poured the water into a plastic tumbler. However they had no problem in selling me a tube of Pringle crisps.

Thems the rules though!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesforever View Post
    Important thread. £25 over-priced for facilities. Lots of better seats unsold by SFA in main stand.
    View poor for sitting owing to oval legacy layout. Pleased standing occurred as singing was aided. Sitting and singing doesn't work.
    "Hampden, Scotland's national stadium"...this is an embarrassment. Murray field should be used instead.
    50 minutes to leave, infrastructure poor. How 150,000 were catered for in the olden days, I have no idea.
    I've been in Hampden with an attendance of over 140,000 for a Celtic v Leeds match. Mind boggling these days!!