hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

team for inverness

Oxley

Gunnarsson Fontaine McGregor

Gray Henderson Bartley mcginn Stevenson

Boyl . Cummings

We need to have a better balance and the 3 at the back will provide this.

We need pace and an outball which boyle provides.

Boyle is also very handy for a goal/assist compared to the rest of the squad considering how little game time he gets

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oxley

Gunnarsson Fontaine McGregor

Gray Henderson Bartley mcginn Stevenson

Boyl . Cummings

We need to have a better balance and the 3 at the back will provide this.

We need pace and an outball which boyle provides.

Boyle is also very handy for a goal/assist compared to the rest of the squad considering how little game time he gets
    Yes I would have that side

I'd go with that defence and attack. The front two i'd go with would either be as you have it or Keatings and Stokes. If he perseveres with Cummings and Stokes when it's been clear for weeks it doesn't work it is just asking for trouble.

I'd be tempted to make more changes than that but, with Hanlon, Fyvie and McGeouch missing, it's tough.

How about Boyle wide right instead of Gray and Keatings with Stokes up top?

It's going to be a real test of character and stamina a few days after that disappointment. Lose the first goal and it's curtains, I'd say.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    I'd go with that defence and attack. The front two i'd go with would either be as you have it or Keatings and Stokes. If he perseveres with Cummings and Stokes when it's been clear for weeks it doesn't work it is just asking for trouble.
    I think I would leave Stokes out. He just doesn't seem to add anything for me so would go with Keatings and Cummings and see if that helps JC rediscover his form

Oxley

Gunnarson
    McGreggor
    Fontaine

Gray
    Stevenson

Henderson
    Bartley
    McGinn

Farid
    Stokes
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Oxley

Gunnarson
    McGreggor
    Fontaine

Gray
    Stevenson

Henderson
    Bartley
    McGinn

Farid
    Stokes
    Agree. Cummings needs dropped, he looks lost at the moment. Couple of games on the bench may be what he needs.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

How about fitting Danny Handling into the team? Clearly fit enough given his selection in the squad yesterday?

Left by mutual consent!
    Oxley

Gunnarsson
    McGregor
    Fonts

Gray
    McGinn
    Bartley
    Hendo
    Stevenson

Keatings
    Stokes

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    If it's stokes and cummings up front again I'll just burst out greetin.

Looking at this thread it seems most are convinced by 352 and seem unanimous on the 8 who fill the defence and midfield positions. It's the forwards people disagree upon.

Tbh with all our forwards I think if we could get players wide and delivering balls into the danger area we would score goals. It's this failing that means we are often relying on half chances, snap shots and feeding off scraps to win us games.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Looking at this thread it seems most are convinced by 352 and seem unanimous on the 8 who fill the defence and midfield positions. It's the forwards people disagree upon.

Tbh with all our forwards I think if we could get players wide and delivering balls into the danger area we would score goals. It's this failing that means we are often relying on half chances, snap shots and feeding off scraps to win us games.
    It depends on the quality of ball in to the box, if it's more of these tame floaty crosses that are easy to clear or just soar over the box then we will still struggle to score. The other teams centre halfs eat up our crosses, as can be seen by the amount of corners we get per game that actually lead to chances/goals.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    It depends on the quality of ball in to the box, if it's more of these tame floaty crosses that are easy to clear or just soar over the box then we will still struggle to score. The other teams centre halfs eat up our crosses, as can be seen by the amount of corners we get per game that actually lead to chances/goals.
    Agree.

I was thinking more deliveries into the box like the one that led to our winner against Hearts as opposed to the kind of deliveries that seem to be the norm the majority of the time.

For me that's why it's so important we get a bit width to allow players to get into an area where you can actually play a ball into the box with pace from behind the defence as opposed to the balls we play in now from 15-20 yards in front of the opposition, any CB worth their salt will lap that up all day.

Gamer IDs

Agree.

I was thinking more deliveries into the box like the one that led to our winner against Hearts as opposed to the kind of deliveries that seem to be the norm the majority of the time.

For me that's why it's so important we get a bit width to allow players to get into an area where you can actually play a ball into the box with pace from behind the defence as opposed to the balls we play in now from 15-20 yards in front of the opposition, any CB worth their salt will lap that up all day.
    Aye, that was what RC done yesterday for goal two, a low and powerful ball in to the box that caused enough problems it led to a goal.

We float it in too much or instead of hitting the by line we stop and pass it back then across the box or just lump it in from behind like you said.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    Oxley

Gunnarsson
    McGregor
    Fonts

Gray
    McGinn
    Bartley
    Hendo
    Stevenson

Keatings
    Stokes
    That'd be my team

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    How about fitting Danny Handling into the team? Clearly fit enough given his selection in the squad yesterday?
    I don't think he is anywhere near match fit and was probably just on the bench due to a lack of other options. Stubbs said in a Hibs TV interview just before the final that he was back training with the boys but that he'd have to play a few development games to get the sharpness back. With Fyvie probably back in the squad for wed I wouldn't be surprised to see Danny drop out.

Oxley

Gunnarson
    MacGregor
    Fontaine

Gray
    Henderson
    Bartley
    Mcginn
    Boyle

Farid
    Stokes

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    No JC please, Farid and Stokes or keatings.

@hibs.net private member
    Oxley

gunnarson
    mcgregor
    fontaine

gray
    stevenson

bartley
    mcginn
    henderson

farid
    stokes

Left by mutual consent!
    Same team as yesterday, Boyle in for Thomson

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    Oxley

Gunnarsson
    McGregor
    Fonts

Gray
    McGinn
    Bartley
    Hendo
    Stevenson

Keatings
    Stokes
    I go with this team.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Same team, Keatings for Cummings, Boyle for Thomson and rotate the diamond. Go back three later if we have to, and have Jason give them Hell for the last half hour.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Oxley(only cause the other keeper hasnt played yet)
    Mcgregor
    Fontaine
    Gunnarsson
    Gray
    Henderson
    Mcginn
    Bartley
    Stevenson
    Keatings
    Stokes

Oxley

Gray
    McGregor
    Fontaine

Boyle
    Henderson
    Bartley
    McGinn
    Stevenson

Cummings
    Keatings

Otley
    Gunnarson
    Mcgreggor
    Fontaine

Boyle
    Henderson
    Mcginn
    Bartley
    Stevenson

Farid
    Keatings/Dagnall

Oxley

Gunnarson
    McGregor
    Fontaine

Boyle
    Henderson
    Bartley
    McGinn
    Stevenson

Stokes
    Keatings

Exactly the team I proposed for the cup final, for the same reasons only Boyle comes in for Gray.

We have to choose between Bartley and Thomson (Bartley for me) and between Stokes and Cummings (Stokes for me).

Boyle's pace provides a greater threat down the right and the pace that Boyle and Keatings provide should leave more space for the likes of Stokes, Henderson and McGinn to work their magic.

Cummings would strike fear into them coming on as sub. Thomson can come on for Bartley if he gets a silly booking, or if we're defending a lead and we need to get a foot on the ball.

Farid can come on if it's going a bit route 1 (again). It would be nice to see us win a first ball for once - he's the man for that.

I wasn't that impressed by Inverness in the first game and I didn't think they placed at all well against the 3 at the back once McGeouch went off.

Lots of talk regarding formations/team selections but the deciding factor will probably be how we react to defeat as a group.

Will we be browbeaten or will we be wounded animals determined to get back to Hampden and exorcise some ghosts?

The latter hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Oxley

Gunnarson
    McGregor
    Fontaine

Boyle
    Henderson
    Bartley
    McGinn
    Stevenson

Stokes
    Keatings

Exactly the team I proposed for the cup final, for the same reasons only Boyle comes in for Gray.

We have to choose between Bartley and Thomson (Bartley for me) and between Stokes and Cummings (Stokes for me).

Boyle's pace provides a greater threat down the right and the pace that Boyle and Keatings provide should leave more space for the likes of Stokes, Henderson and McGinn to work their magic.

Cummings would strike fear into them coming on as sub. Thomson can come on for Bartley if he gets a silly booking, or if we're defending a lead and we need to get a foot on the ball.

Farid can come on if it's going a bit route 1 (again). It would be nice to see us win a first ball for once - he's the man for that.

I wasn't that impressed by Inverness in the first game and I didn't think they placed at all well against the 3 at the back once McGeouch went off.
    As you probably know I wouldn't have Thomson coming on for anyone
    No point as he's not up to the pace

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    Lots of talk regarding formations/team selections but the deciding factor will probably be how we react to defeat as a group.

Will we be browbeaten or will we be wounded animals determined to get back to Hampden and exorcise some ghosts?

The latter hopefully.
    Fair points but I think the formation and team selection always has a huge effect on the way we play.

The diamond, our fullbacks, our lack of pace, the lack of chemistry between our strikers, being caught with our fullbacks up the park - these are all features of the way we play.

If we try to play this way again, I suspect we'll have a lot of the ball, create a few half-chances, get hit on the break a few times and try to console ourselves that we were the better team - it happens every week FFS!

We need to try something different. Not drastically different, but different enough to make a difference.

I'd love to see the "wounded animal" approach, for us to start the game 100% full on and take the game to them with pace and verve, we need to come up with a team selection that will allow us to do that and imo we have the players.

What we don't need/want is a tepid start, a diamond, tippy-tappy sideways passing without threatening, Cummings and Stokes getting frustrated and then us losing a first goal where we're slack defensively with our fullbacks at the other end of the park…….

Quote Originally Posted by Crammond Hibee View Post
    As you probably know I wouldn't have Thomson coming on for anyone
    No point as he's not up to the pace
    Who out of our sizeable group of midfielders would you have come on instead?

As I said, there may be reasons why we'd want to slow it down.

Thomson has his uses, we haven't always used him to best effect.