hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The stadiums weren't all seated 20 years ago?
    I think the point was how did kids and auld folk cope when there was terracing? I bet they didn't ALL sit in the main stand, that is for sure.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Not saying if it's okay or not but the North Stand is almost always a standing area.

Quote Originally Posted by piemanpilley View Post
    How did you all cope 20 years ago?
    Strange thought it seems there were seats 20 years ago. Easter Road was all seater back then. Even before that the North and West were all seated.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Strange thought it seems there were seats 20 years ago. Easter Road was all seater back then. Even before that the North and West were all seated.
    We're getting old...

What about 30 years ago?

The north is usually always standing at our games when at Hampden. In previous years when behind the goals is advertised as a family area maybe they should have done that so people who would rather sit could go there.

@hibs.net private member
    Would have preferred the North but was with my lad and knew he wouldn't see a thing as we know folks stand there for the duration so we went to the South.

Cant see why anyone would buy a T for the North and complain, its where folk go to stand.

There should have been a designated Family block though to help kids see.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Aye. I had some ersehole in North D1 probably seat L8 or L9 who announced at the start of the game - "It's a ******ing cup final for ******'s sake, everybody stay standing"

Eventually most saw the light an sat down. The guy moved at half time and no doubt found somewhere he could "******ing stand" as he so eloquently put it. Probably in North D2 who did stand all through the game.

He wasn't missed.
    Big guy about 30-40 with a grey jumper on. Made my day when he didn't come back at half time. We were in row N 2 rows directly behind him

I severely dislike the shoulder tappers that tell me to sit down. It's a cup final ffs
    This 100%. I understand for people that can't stand for 90 minutes but starting a thread complaining because all of these bad people were standing and providing support for the team instead of sitting on their hands is just mental.

To be honest, 22,000 of our fans yesterday don't to got home games and get behind the team week in week out so if they ain't happy some were standing then hard lines. Yes, sounds harsh but most are part time supporters so not really fussed.

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    I deliberately picked my Season Ticket for the Famous Five top tier back row so that I can stand and watch the game without there being anyone behind me to complain about it.

Cant stand sitting down to watch a game.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post
    This 100%. I understand for people that can't stand for 90 minutes but starting a thread complaining because all of these bad people were standing and providing support for the team instead of sitting on their hands is just mental.
    Agreed, we were in D2 and stood for the whole game as I knew we would. The north stand is nearly always full of people that stand to watch the game.

We should start to demand safe standing areas more though. No reason why it can't work in Scotland as it does in other European countries. Also, there should be a designated family section at every hampden game that way those who are unable or unwilling to stand for the game can buy a ticket safe in the knowledge they can sit and be able to see the game. Everyone wins then.

First Team Regular ruthven_raiders's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserclem View Post
    To be honest, 22,000 of our fans yesterday don't to got home games and get behind the team week in week out so if they ain't happy some were standing then hard lines. Yes, sounds harsh but most are part time supporters so not really fussed.
    We are not part time supporters, season ticket holders, I for one didn't realise the north stand is where everyone stands. Have usually been behind goals or in south, sorry for not being knowledgeable about this, in future I will be. Have no problem with people standing if the area is full of adults and it's made clear it is not for families and yes I did stand quite a lot, my kids ended up standing on the seats for the last 20mins, my son was really upset at us losing near the end, didn't talk till he got home. He's cheered up now and hoping to get back to hampden soon ;o)

@hibs.net private member HibbyKeith's Avatar
    Never had bother with folk standing infront of me at Hampden and we frequently get our seats for the North Stand, So i guess I've just been lucky previously.
    Yesterday we were near the front of D3. My youngest son watched most of the first half on the big screen, him standing on the seat just blocked the view further for people behind him. better in the 2nd half where most to the right of us were sitting down, but the pisser for him is on his first visit to Hampden he didn't actually see Hibs score. will be taking him to the south stand for any future visits.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mvteng View Post
    Big guy about 30-40 with a grey jumper on. Made my day when he didn't come back at half time. We were in row N 2 rows directly behind him
    I was in M just behind him. Classic comment I've paid fur ma seat so I can stand if I want. I think the irony was lost on him. I also thought the big lad in front of him was going to deck him

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHibs View Post
    I was in M just behind him. Classic comment I've paid fur ma seat so I can stand if I want. I think the irony was lost on him. I also thought the big lad in front of him was going to deck him
    You must have been sitting right in front of us. I had 3 kids with me.

First Team Regular ruthven_raiders's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbykeith View Post
    Never had bother with folk standing infront of me at Hampden and we frequently get our seats for the North Stand, So i guess I've just been lucky previously.
    Yesterday we were near the front of D3. My youngest son watched most of the first half on the big screen, him standing on the seat just blocked the view further for people behind him. better in the 2nd half where most to the right of us were sitting down, but the pisser for him is on his first visit to Hampden he didn't actually see Hibs score. will be taking him to the south stand for any future visits.
    I will be doing the same

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mvteng View Post
    You must have been sitting right in front of us. I had 3 kids with me.
    Just slightly along I think. We were in M11 and 12 so when he stood up he blocked the view to the west goal. I had an older guy behind me who broke into "that's entertainment " at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHibs View Post
    Just slightly along I think. We were in M11 and 12 so when he stood up he blocked the view to the west goal. I had an older guy behind me who broke into "that's entertainment " at one time.
    The old guy was sitting next to me.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    A debate about nothing really. I had some kids standing on the seats in front of me which made seeing the pitch very difficult even whilst standing. It is a football match not theatre. I enjoyed standing for the whole match as it added atmosphere and prevented the up, down, up, down trend when chances occurred. I've missed many goals at ER this season because someone was quicker than me in the up movement - should there be zones based on reaction times so people don't have this problem? If everyone in your section is standing you avoid this unless someone jumps before the ball is in the net.

North certainly was a privilege to be in and seemed to be where most of the atmosphere was generated from.

I can agree that not seeing the pitch is an inconvenience but the angle the Hampden stands go at already make you feel miles away from the pitch unless you are near the front and sitting down would make it feel less like a football match than it already does.

There should be family seating areas and people should be able to stand if they wish in designated areas.

Is this seriously being debated? FFS.

Sitting down is awful, up and down every few minutes. Kills atmosphere as well.

Maybe if some of the day trippers got off their erse and actually bothered coming to Easter Road then they'd see that standing works brilliantly in Section 43. Cannae do the lead up to Carnival De Paris sitting on yer erse.

Nae wonder the atmosphere is honkin in some parts of the stadium. Sit down with their arms folded making sure the tartan rug is tucked in properly.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHanlon View Post

Maybe if some of the day trippers got off their erse and actually bothered coming to Easter Road then they'd see that standing works brilliantly in Section 43. Cannae do the lead up to Carnival De Paris sitting on yer erse.

Nae wonder the atmosphere is honkin in some parts of the stadium. Sit down with their arms folded making sure the tartan rug is tucked in properly.
    Dearie me.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

We really, really need to get safe standing introduced to the game here.

Ironically, the big curves of terracing behind the goals at hampden would be ideal.

It would end these arguments, stop "unsafe standing" and actually give the fans what they want.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

why not sit down?

There was no announcements before the game regarding being seated during the game or during the match so it must be be a problem for the police or stewards. Convert that whole both to a terrace. Everybody stands in it anyway.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Dearie me.
    You okay Hon?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I severely dislike the shoulder tappers that tell me to sit down. It's a cup final ffs
    What if they are unable to stand for the whole game ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by familyman View Post
    Why on earth does everyone stand the whole game and sit down at half time?I paid £25 for a seat and as everyone in my area stood(C) the whole match you all had too...
    Stewards could at least encourage folks to sit!!!
    This also happened on my last visit to this ground.
    How many football games have you been to guessing not that many if people standing up is obviously a surprise for you.

@hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar

Possibly the worst comment I've read on here.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    What if they are unable to stand for the whole game ffs.
    For medical reasons it's unlikely I'd manage to stand for the whole game even if I wanted to but my problem is that I'm just over five feet tall and can't see when people stand, they are either much taller or its kids standing on the seats.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries

Sitting down own at the football is a weird, soulless and passive experience for thousands of people, hence why the majority of people stand at big games like Derby matches and cup finals.

Theres no doubt in my mind that there's a direct correlation between the rise of seated venues and the fall of decent atmosphere at the football.

The atmoshpere at Easter Road these days is at the stage where your average mashed banana eating, library going pensioner would laugh at how quiet and dull it is. If it gets any worse it'll end up as bad as the Rugby and we'll all be sitting in neutral seating with half and half scarves on, applauding opposition goals.

If this thread proves anything it's that there is a debate needed about safe standing.

There are those who wish to stand and will do so regardless of what others think. There are those who don't or in some cases can't. In most football stadiums there is plenty space to accomodate both safely and sensibly.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years