hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Connor Mcgregor

Connor Mcgregor

Is it just me, or does anyone else want to see this boy get knocked spark out?

He's a schemey wee prick, but people seem to love him and I just don't know why.

Am I just incredibly tasteful or am I missing something?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Don't know who he is?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I love him.

Worked hard to get where he is, talked the talk and has thus far backed it up with his actions.

His 'trash talk' sells tickets and gets into his opponents heads, Aldo was a beaten man during his walk in at the last fight. The fear and tentativeness was right there in his eyes.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I've never been interested in UFC and I didn't know any of the fighters names, so in one way he's doing a good job as I know who he is.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never been interested in UFC and I didn't know any of the fighters names, so in one way he's doing a good job as I know who he is.
    Funnily enough - I'm the same and I probably couldn't name you anyone beyond him, his opponents or rousey / Holm.

He just bugs the **** out of me!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I love him.

Worked hard to get where he is, talked the talk and has thus far backed it up with his actions.

His 'trash talk' sells tickets and gets into his opponents heads, Aldo was a beaten man during his walk in at the last fight. The fear and tentativeness was right there in his eyes.
    I get that trash talk sells tickets and that's what makes his money, but does he have to be so obnoxious??

At least when mayweather did it he was respectful afterwards

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    I get that trash talk sells tickets and that's what makes his money, but does he have to be so obnoxious??

At least when mayweather did it he was respectful afterwards
    Conor is always respectful afterwards. Called Jose a fantastic champion and said he deserved longer than that, gave Mendes a huge hug and said it was a true fight. He also calls it how he see's it, says Mendes put up a good fight but hits like a flyweight, nothing wrong with his 'respect'.

McGregor has just been put on his arse. Game over

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Nate Diaz destroyed him. Absolutely destroyed him.
    Nate is da man.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Nate Diaz destroyed him. Absolutely destroyed him.
    Nate is da man.
    I thought McGregor probably just about won the 1st round but he got taken apart in the 2nd. The natural size difference really told and he started swinging desperately. There's a lesson there for him about trying to jump 2 stone in 1 go.

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    I thought McGregor probably just about won the 1st round but he got taken apart in the 2nd. The natural size difference really told and he started swinging desperately. There's a lesson there for him about trying to jump 2 stone in 1 go.

I originally thought he was a maybe a weight division too low - before fights he almost looked ill. Tonight maybe showed he was at the right level.

Just watched this on catch up. Never watched a UFC fight before but thought it was pretty entertaining.

i take it there are some rules involved? Thought it was odd when pinned to the fence he used his knees instead of fists.

I thought he just shaded the first with work rate but when Diaz started fighting there was only going to be one winner.

I know you like McGregor but I enjoyed watching a really talented guy take him apart.

I thought he just shaded the first with work rate but when Diaz started fighting there was only going to be one winner.

I know you like McGregor but I enjoyed watching a really talented guy take him apart.
    It was a good fight.

The Diaz family are real warriors with no shortage of talent. The good thing about MMA is a few defeats on the record doesn't really matter so coming out of the fight both Diaz and McGreggor have options.

It was a good fight.

The Diaz family are real warriors with no shortage of talent. The good thing about MMA is a few defeats on the record doesn't really matter so coming out of the fight both Diaz and McGreggor have options.
    Conor needs to learn that his variation of hits and attacks only work against certain opponents. His uppercut with breaking through everytime and was really damaging Nate but his kicks that he kept trying couldn't be further from landing.

Nate's a fantastic boxer though and used his range brilliantly.

Testimonial Due
    I don't watch UFC but McGregor is so popular that he draws people like me in to his fights. Definitely a very charismatic fighter and despite what some might think, he's very entertaining.

Anyway, watched highlights of this latest fight and it seemed quite clear that he was struggling with the weight. He was blowing out his arse early on and looked totally beat leading up to the point where he tapped out. He said himself afterwards that he put all of his energy into the first round and expected Diaz to crumble with some of the shots landed early in the fight.

McGregor was fighting 24 lbs above what he normally fights, whereas Diaz was just a few lbs over his weight class, it's a bit like Ken Buchanan fighting Hagler at middleweight, there would only be one outcome. Some of the bigger guys in UFC can fight at 2-3 weight classes as it doesn't affect their performance, Randy Couture fought at either light heavy/heavy and he still had the strength and power to do so but he struggled when he went to middleweight as it was too much weight to cut.

They originally wanted the fight at lightweight but Diaz only had 11 days to prepare, so they fought at welterweight (168 lbs ) McGregor fight at 140 lbs normally.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    McGregor was fighting 24 lbs above what he normally fights, whereas Diaz was just a few lbs over his weight class, it's a bit like Ken Buchanan fighting Hagler at middleweight, there would only be one outcome. Some of the bigger guys in UFC can fight at 2-3 weight classes as it doesn't affect their performance, Randy Couture fought at either light heavy/heavy and he still had the strength and power to do so but he struggled when he went to middleweight as it was too much weight to cut.

They originally wanted the fight at lightweight but Diaz only had 11 days to prepare, so they fought at welterweight (168 lbs ) McGregor fight at 140 lbs normally.
    I'm no expert but does McGregor not deliberately go down to that weight.
    I'm sure I read that his natural weight I higher but he cuts down to 145 to give himself an advantage in size over the smaller folk at 145.

I only really started watching a few months ago so I might be talking keek.

Testimonial Due
    I'm sure I read that his natural weight I higher but he cuts down to 145 to give himself an advantage in size over the smaller folk at 145.

I'm not a UFC fan but do like boxing. Fighters all have a weight that they're most suited to and in all divisions except heavyweight they'll train and dehydrate themselves to get down to that weight for the weigh-in. After the weigh-in they rehydrate themselves and put on a few extra pounds for the actual fight. I don't know what McGregors natural weight is but yes, he will cut down to 145 before a fight in that division the same as his opponent.

McGregor weighs in usually at 145, he walks at 176ish, however he had cut to 148/49 so he could put it on comfortably for 155, so when he was told he had 11 days to get to 170, it ruined any stamina and fitness he had built up and as he said, he didn't use his energy properly. Also he is only a BJJ brown belt whereas Diaz is a BJJ second degree black belt, so despite McGregor being no slouch on the ground and outstanding on his feet, as soon as the fight went to the ground he had no chance against one of the best submission artists in MMA.