hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben Williams

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm behind the team as much as the next man, but there's a huge difference between backing the team and ignoring a blatant problem.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Let's be clear - barring injury there will be no change of keeper at this stage of season, least not before a Cup Quarter and a Hampden final. Everyone needs to get behind Mark Oxley and if there are discussions to be had over his credentials as Hibs keeper then save it for the seasons end.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay since you asked:

Distribution- I'd rate as good to v good. Confident with his kicking and excellent range on throw outs. Looks to get the game going again (unless we are protecting a lead- which can be maddening!) and can throw the ball over the half way line more or less. I don't panick when the ball is rolled back to him unlike a string of other keepers. Keeps the ball in play with most clearances too.

Presence-makes himself known and calls to defenders to arrange shape etc. But can also be posted missing at key points. Also prone to flappyness. Not one of his strong points but not dreadful.

Shot stopping/ reflex saves above average I'd say and that's judging by prem standards. For a big guy can get down low. I remember a few where he has had to dive stretch and claw balls off the line as they are bouncing- difficult to do. Same time he has made some diving saves that I wouldn't necessarily expect a keeper to get to.

I think his footballing skills with the ball at his feet are generally v good too.

He's also been a key part of a v good defensive record this year.

The whole package/ finished article? No. Happy with? Yes.
    I'd agree with kicking and distribution, I've actually mentioned it before on other threads so we're agreed on that one. Presence, I'd agree not a strong point too

Shot stopping is where we differ. I'd say he spills far too much and his positioning is very questionable, I think he leaves far too much room at the far post for example and it makes it too easy to find that side of the net (See Djoum, Murdoch, Forbes recently for example). I'd put him as the weak link of a very good defence this year.

Good to see so someone actually respond with some points and opinions though! Good stuff!
    Last edited by My_Wife_Camille; 03-03-2016 at 04:33 PM.

Move on.

At Easter Road we play...

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sejaca View Post
    Would replace Oxley with Big Ben in a heart beat.

Williams suffered badly with the defenders we had 3 years ago, but with the defence we have now Williams would work miracles IMO.
    WTF is the point of this thread slating one of our current players by reminiscing about an ex player. Fed up of this pish on here, people are entitled to an opinion but really is there any ****** need for this. Get behind our current players

Oxley is an decent keeper, he has some saves where I can't believe he's managed and concedes some goals I would consider he should be saving. I firmly believe the defence is not where we should be concerned despite te last few games but I would love Virtanen to get a chance, just to see what the lad can do. Ox was young and inexperienced when he came here and Virtanen may be young but he's not far away from the same appearances as Ox so I'm quite excited by his potential.

Yet another sheight thread!

Aye, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If it's posted on a public forum though you can't complain if others blast it to ***! Especially when it is laced with exaggerated pash - my opinion of course. No one has definitive data to suggest who the better goalie is so it is usually down to our subjective views. My view is that Oxley is a 'better' keeper. My evidence is anecdotal but as sound as anyone else's. My opinion is based upon my time playing school/youth/amateur/semi professional (until I was found out and quickly binned) and, of course watching live and TV football covering all levels for over 40 years. Oxley isn't brilliant, would be elsewhere if he was, but he is a good goalie and will be one of the best in the premier when we go up. If we had Williams, Makalamby and Brown on our books, I would guess that Oxley would still be no. 1.
    Still young, still learning but probably the best supporter in Oxley's corner is Stubbsy. Apologies to everyone who has contributed but, respectfully, I think I will go with his judgement rather than anyone else on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    WTF is the point of this thread slating one of our current players by reminiscing about an ex player. Fed up of this pish on here, people are entitled to an opinion but really is there any ****** need for this. Get behind our current players
    This is how it feels

or post on a more appropriate forum

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHibs View Post
    Zibi played for Hibs 51 times. In 4 matches against Hearts he let in 6 goals due to calamitous mistakes. 2 of those were in the Scottish Cup semi final. That is the high point on his Wikipedia page. He was definitely a worse goalkeeper than Oxley. I would go further and say I cannot think of a worse goalkeeper although Simon Brown went close. I quite liked Makalamby. He occasionally did some great things but he lacked confidence and made too many mistakes. I would take Oxley before Makalamby any day of the week.
    As a Clown fan, I'm offended. I think he was worse than Zibi. I remember him wandering out of his goal into the stand to queue up for a pie in a game against Rangers, leaving Charlie Adam to float a free kick into the empty net. Just to prove the point, he did it again in the second half.

First Team Breakthrough

Smile

This is a nonsense thread..All goalkeepers make mistakes at some point. Oxley has been very consistent for many games this deserves our support. It is not as if we can replace him with a better goalie from the present (never mind the past!). Its the business part of the season....stop moaning and enjoy the fact we have much to play for...

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    1. Williams had some shockers towards the end of his time at Hibs, we just choosing to ignore that?
    2. If Oxley didn't make mistakes, he wouldn't be at Hibs. Because he'd be far too good for us.
    3. Craig Gordon, Scott Brown and Neil Alexander have all made blunders this season - fans are still behind them.
    4. If we're talking about crap Hibs keepers, there are many, many candidates who would be ahead of Oxley.
    5. Let's support the team, eh? Players make mistakes, it happens. The team needs our backing right now more than ever - let's make sure they get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They've only gone and done it! They've only gone and won the Scottish Cup! What kept you, Hibs?!

Coaching Staff
    There is a Yammish whiff about this thread.........

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    As a Clown fan, I'm offended. I think he was worse than Zibi. I remember him wandering out of his goal into the stand to queue up for a pie in a game against Rangers, leaving Charlie Adam to float a free kick into the empty net. Just to prove the point, he did it again in the second half.
    And after letting the second in he smashed the pie into the ground with both fists

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Dearie me :( Threads like this on the build up to two important cup games . Get a grip . Reeks of keek back .

GGTTH

Don't want to get shot down in flames, so tin hat on, he's not trying a leg, enough of this tippy tappy pish, he's earning 10 grand a week, Petrie is an alien abductee etc etc.

Another nonsense thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    There is a Yammish whiff about this thread.........
    The cup defeat has certainly prodded them into some sort of reaction. It's as if they don't know how to handle a defeat from Hibernian.

Get used to it Saviles because it will be the norm when we get back up.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: n/A
    While we're at it, get rid of Cummings and bring Tony Rougier back! *Rolls eyes*

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Don't want to get shot down in flames, so tin hat on, he's not trying a leg, enough of this tippy tappy pish, he's earning 10 grand a week, Petrie is an alien abductee etc etc.

Another nonsense thread.
    Surely Petrie abducts aliens and makes them play in goals for Hibs.

Goram AND Leighton, or we should start a boycott.

You have to remember that the heid bangers that hounded Lewis for long enough have been outvoted so they have to find another player to slag off
    It's a hobby to some people
    Well done Mark O and keep it going lad !!

Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post

You have to remember that the heid bangers that hounded Lewis for long enough have been outvoted so they have to find another player to slag off
    It's a hobby to some people
    Well done Mark O and keep it going lad !!
    Haven't seen an anti Lewis thread in a while. The usual Lewis hating suspects have gone into hiding. He was pish against QOS though

I'm happy with the Ox largely in part to what I've seen between the sticks for Hibs before and also in comparison to what other teams in Scotland have got.

Only keepers that I'd say are significantly better would be Gordon, Bain and surprisingly McDonald.

Importantly for the overall squad Oxley seems to fit in well with the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    I'm happy with the Ox largely in part to what I've seen between the sticks for Hibs before and also in comparison to what other teams in Scotland have got.

Only keepers that I'd say are significantly better would be Gordon, Bain and surprisingly McDonald.

Importantly for the overall squad Oxley seems to fit in well with the squad.
    I would probably put Cerny and McGovern on that list. McGovern could still possibly be joining us at the end of his contract

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyhaz View Post
    I would probably put Cerny and McGovern on that list. McGovern could still possibly be joining us at the end of his contract
    The same Cerny that couldn't get a game ahead of Oxley?

You watch - Oxley MotM on Sunday.

On the subject of keepers, without Googling it, who remembers who our keeper was in 2007 LCFi?
    If you know, fair enough. If you don't, you'll be surprised.

Think that the only point of the thread was to ask who was better. I myself would choose Williams as a hibs keeper. That would be nowhere near the whole story though. Williams was what? 28-29 when he came to hibs, and well experianced in a first team at that. This is Oxleys first regular first team gig and only his second season at that. He in my opinion is massivlly improved on last season in all respects except cocentration. He still rip's ma knittin with how long he takes with his by kicks even when we are loosing but maybe that's just me. The only way to trully decide who is best is to wait untill they have an equil number of seasons under there belt. Only problem is that is not how football works these days.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post

On the subject of keepers, without Googling it, who remembers who our keeper was in 2007 LCFi?
    Andy McNeil. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    The same Cerny that couldn't get a game ahead of Oxley?
    If you have seen Cerny this season you will know what I mean. He is a great keeper. He was only ever in to push Oxley a bit, Stubbs clearly likes playing with 1 keeper throughout, no rotation or anything like that

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post

Andy McNeil. He was my coach for about a year while he was playing for Livingston. Really nice guy. Clear to see he isnt the biggest though