hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Left by mutual consent!
    I can't understand why the laddie gets it tight.

Can anyone on this thread who promotes the wearing of the poppy, please explain why not wearing one is so wrong?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't understand why the laddie gets it tight.

Can anyone on this thread who promotes the wearing of the poppy, please explain why not wearing one is so wrong?
    Cos the sun/other rags now say so.

A lot of respect for McLean for his decision. Fair play to them.

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    I'm sure he refused to wear a top with a poppy on it round about Remembrance time
    I don't wear a poppy.
    I don't wear a Marie Curie daffodil.
    I don't wear a sparkly man for prostate cancer awareness.
    I don't wear a red ribbon on world AIDS day.

Does that make me a fud 4 times over?

I don't think so. All personal choice. No one else's business.

No sports person (especially pros) should be wearing any symbolic reference to wars or racial/ political views on a shirt/jumper while playing in public

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Sauz View Post
    No sports person (especially pros) should be wearing any symbolic reference to wars or racial/ political views on a shirt/jumper while playing in public
    Disagree,they have as much right as anyone else to display a symbolic reference at their work as long as their employers allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    I don't wear a poppy.
    I don't wear a Marie Curie daffodil.
    I don't wear a sparkly man for prostate cancer awareness.
    I don't wear a red ribbon on world AIDS day.

Does that make me a fud 4 times over?
    Not if you sell pegs for the cause

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Disagree,they have as much right as anyone else to display a symbolic reference at their work as long as their employers allow it.
    So does that mean that James McClean has the same rights not to wear one?
    Also clubs in the UK don't allow it, the enforce it!! It's just a PR stint for the media and sales
    I can't remember clubs in Scotland wearing poppy's on their shirts in 60's/70's/80's/90's and the early 2000. so why are they doing it now?
    Last edited by The_Sauz; 12-02-2016 at 08:19 PM.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Sauz View Post
    So does that mean that James McClean has the same rights not to wear one?
    Also clubs in the UK don't allow it, the enforce it!! It's just a PR stint for the media and sales
    I can't remember clubs in Scotland wearing poppy's on their shirts in 60's/70's/80's/90's and the early 2000. so why are they doing it now?
    Of course he has the same right not to wear one. I can't remember players wearing fancy coloured boots in those eras either. Times change as do fashions,fads and crazes and as you say it is all to do with sales. I believe every player has the same choice,if they don't want to wear a poppy they don't have to. I hate all this media enforced outrage in such circumstances.

@hibs.net private member gorgie_harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berwickhibby View Post
    Pish to you .... I have my opinion you have yours ....
    Pish again!! Not that it matters, served 2 years in the north of Ireland.
    And if you don't wear a poppy so what.✌🏻️
    Life's to short!

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    Hibs.net Main Forum - for fans to talk about HIBS and FOOTBALL in General - as it says on the tin on the forum page.

PUNT this to a different forum.
    Now you are just being silly, James (a pro footballer) has tweeted something nice about Hibs (the football team this forum is here for fans to talk about) I'm 100% certain both boxes have been ticked on your checklist
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

Coaching Staff
    I sit on the fence with this one. I absolutely appreciate McLean's right here - wearing a poppy is seen as a reflective admiration of those that died in the two world wars and has indeed been enhanced as a campaign by other wars since. I'd argue vehemently about the recent wars in the Middle East being both legal and morally correct. However I chose to always wear a poppy after spending two Remembrance Days in a row with veterans and families at the Rodney Street British Legion many years ago - it's the only time I've found myself both transfixed and emotional hearing old men telling their war stories as if it was just 'the normal thing to do' - they almost understated their heroism and just saw it as their moral obligation - one story brought me to tears - and made me realise what a cotton wool wrapped generation we are and our kids are because of their efforts and sacrifices decades ago.

I'll always buy a poppy - won't ever demean anyone for not doing so - but sometimes you have to spend time with people who have sacrificed a lot for our huge benefit and liberty - a poppy is the very least I can do to acknowledge that.

Sadly poppies seem to have become the in thing these days with many wearing them just for the sake of wearing it.

I've no issue with anyone choosing to wear one or not! Loads pay their respects in different ways and the media make so much out these things its cringeworthy.

The more who stop doing what the papers say the better society will be.

Buying and wearing a poppy is an act of charity for me, I wear one. But you can't force charity on someone. Doing so takes removes the human kindness aspect of it. Like previously mentioned, poppies have become a tool used to hunt down those who won't wear them, which distracts from the whole point of wearing a poppy. It's sad.

That was very good of James Mclean to be so impressed by Hibs comeback and to take the trouble to tweet about it.

I had never heard of him until last years so called "controversy" about poppies and the English and British National anthem but was immediately struck by what a brave and principled man he obviously is as he patiently and intelligently explained in great detail the fundamentals behind his beliefs.

Its very rare to come across this in any walk of life least of all footballers and he is a credit to himself and his community.
    Last edited by The Baldmans Comb; 12-02-2016 at 11:02 PM.