hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amir Khan v Saul Alvarez

Signed for May 7th. Should be a decent scrap.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Was shocked when I first heard this, but it could be a very decent fight. IMO canelo is nowhere near as good as some think....his last fight against Cotto was not an emphatic win like the scorecards made out. However, khan has his work cut out for him here, it will take a monumental effort to move up to middleweight and beat Canelo in Vegas. Regardless, it's a great fight for Khan - even if he loses, it shouldn't put the mega bucks fight with brook in jeopardy.

A huge night of boxing if it happens on the same night as Fury Klitschko 2 as rumours suggest.
    Last edited by #FromTheCapital; 02-02-2016 at 10:54 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Alvarez will murder him.
    Too big, too tough , too savvy.
    a repeat of the james Kirkland slaughter by "canelo".

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Im really starting to warm to Amir Khan, he's got a great style of boxing and he isn't afraid of anyone. I see they're going to be fighting at a catch weight of 155 pounds which will help him a bit.

United we stand here....

I really like Canelo after seeing him fight when I was in Vegas. He was very impressive. I think he will be too good for Khan.

Not sure if Khan can win but his speed will be a huge asset. Alvarez can be a bit sluggish at time, that was ruthlessly exposed by Mayweather. Khans handspeed is lightning so if he can get 2 or 3 shots off then move away quickly he has a chance. If he chooses to stand and trade then he'll get torn apart.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alvarez will murder him.
    Too big, too tough , too savvy.
    a repeat of the james Kirkland slaughter by "canelo".
    I seen a pic of Khan and Canelo side by side and Khan is surprisingly taller. Canelo definitely has more power though and if he catches that glass chin then its lights out.

Looking forward to this fight. Obviously you would have to fancy Canello due to his power, but as PB said, Khan has the speed to cause him problems, if he fights the right way.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    On paper it seems like a fight out of Khan's reach. He will end up on canvas thinking the same.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Amir Khan was in Edinburgh recently eating in Vittoria on Brunswick Street, nice guy posed for photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Amir Khan was in Edinburgh recently eating in Vittoria on Brunswick Street, nice guy posed for photos.
    Was training at Lochend BC and made an appearance at the MGM show at Meadowbank.

Took time to pose for photos and sign autographs and whatever and seemed like a decent guy.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Was he not up at the Steven Simmonds fight?

I reckon he's got a suspect jaw and he'll be exposed against Alvarez. If he wins though it will make things really interesting

Edit - just seen that whoever wins faces GGG.

Wow. Planning to go to Vegas in October, hoping it will be then. Unlikely
    Last edited by LustForLeith; 18-02-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Khan will get absolutely destroyed

Do we have any idea what channel this will be on? It's a bit of a strange one as Khan is getting knocked out for less money than a Brook fight. Alvarez is 175 in the ring and Khan isn't even a big 147 fighter, total mismatch but if he gets on his bike and hits flashy combos while avoiding that chin getting hit he might be in with a chance. Big fear is he loses some of that hand speed if he tries to bulk up a bit, interesting fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Do we have any idea what channel this will be on? It's a bit of a strange one as Khan is getting knocked out for less money than a Brook fight. Alvarez is 175 in the ring and Khan isn't even a big 147 fighter, total mismatch but if he gets on his bike and hits flashy combos while avoiding that chin getting hit he might be in with a chance. Big fear is he loses some of that hand speed if he tries to bulk up a bit, interesting fight.
    Not seen any announcement re TV yet which is strange.

On another note I see Ricky Burns is fighting for another world title at the Hydro in May.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Khan v Canelo is the type of fight that would usually be on box nation as its a 5am Vegas fight. But maybe sky will try to get it seeing as Khan is a well known uk fighter. They've already announced a fairly big fight for the same night in the uk with Crolla v Barosso.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    On another note I see Ricky Burns is fighting for another world title at the Hydro in May.
    Shannon the cannon Briggs might be on this card as well! Might need to head through for this. Let's go champ!

Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    Shannon the cannon Briggs might be on this card as well! Might need to head through for this. Let's go champ!
    I'll be heading through with a mate.

Briggs is totally finished but he's entertaining. The video of him at Buckingham Palace the other day demanding to meet the Queen so she would get him a fight with Joshua, Fury or Haye was funny if totally ludicrous.

Testimonial Due
    Have to say I've found myself in stitches at some of these videos. The Buckingham palace was was hilarious. I reckon he might be Joshua's first defence if he beats Martin next month and of course I'd fully expect Joshua to take him out.

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post

Wow. Planning to go to Vegas in October, hoping it will be then. Unlikely
    hi

On a side note when we went to vegas last year when the *fight of the century* or mayweather vs pacman was gonna be announced i was like please be when i go please be on when i go, but sadly we were there 2 weeks later 2 weeks!!

is this your first time in vegas?

Testimonial Due
    Confirmed that this fight will be shown on Boxnation in the Uk.

Looking forward to this now. Both weighed in bang on the 155lbs limit and looked good for it.

I'm backing Khan to cause an upset and win a tight decision. If he can keep his composure and box to the plan Virgil Hunter will have for him I think he can use his speed to do it. If he tries to trade he'll lose.

Khan looked pretty good up at that weight, a bit fleshier than at 147 but Hunter said that post fights that's his natural weight anyway so should be interesting to see what his power is like at 155. Still can't see anything but an Alvarez KO around the later rounds as it'll be a tough ask for Khan to keep the speed up in his hands and more importantly his feet for 12 rounds.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    What time is the fight?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Don't think its on til about 3-30am.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Cheers ta, might just record it!!

Just found out the ring walk is at 0500

Anthony Crolla wins against Barroso.

Boy done great, delighted for him.

Future superstar. Boy deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Anthony Crolla wins against Barroso.

Boy done great, delighted for him.

Future superstar. Boy deserves it.
    Brilliant tactical boxing, wasn't sure he was at the races then Barroso ran out of steam. Cracking final hit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Brilliant tactical boxing, wasn't sure he was at the races then Barroso ran out of steam. Cracking final hit as well.
    I had him losing the first four rounds are least, but the other guy was shot.

Hope khan wins, but don't see it happening. Can't help but feel the number of UK world champions must be a record?

That's the craziest gas tank I've ever seen from a contender, was a hurricane for the first few rounds then looked like he could barely walk back to his corner, hopefully Flanagan next for Crolla but can't see Frank Warren allowing that! 3-4 hours to whittle away until the vegas showdown now.