hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibs will not develop any player of note as long as the current heads of development/academy are in place. Im convinced of that.
    I've nae idea what the set up is like, what - in your opinion - is the problem with how they do it?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Ask yourself this question, looking back at all the teams we've had and others in Scotland, just how many players actually come through from the youths and development teams actually make it to the top, I'd say very few.

We were lucky to have the players Mowbray had at the time and this is not always the case but prior to that and since we get the odd one or two who have it in them to make a career out of football at a decent level.

We deemed Wotherspoon and Booth not good enough yet they are plying their trade in the league above us and are regular starters or their teams, unfortunately during their time here we had some horrendous managers and coaches who didn't develop them as they should have, hopefully AS and LD have put this right and brought in coaches that will bring out the best i our younger players.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    If a player is that mentally weak, that threads like the Handling one on a fans messageboard are going to affect thier game, then it really doesn't matter what's written, cos with that lack of confidence or a winning mentality they're never going to make it anyway.

I actually think Hibs fans, generally, are more likely to give young players coming through too much credit, too soon, when they break into the team. Look at Harris, Forster and Stanton. We were bigging them up as potential greats after just a few games. The negative comments came after a period where it became obvious they weren't going to be as great as thier first couple of games suggested.
    I think you're underestimating the confidence factor. No one thrives on negativity.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    The quality of our squad makes it harder for any of our development players to make the step up .

GGTTH

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Hibs will not develop any player of note as long as the current heads of development/academy are in place. Im convinced of that.
    We hadn't been producing players for some time - the current set up we have to wait and see, it will take years.

Eddie May's record at Falkirk is great though is it not, they went from zero to about 20 players at all age groups playing international football in the space of a few years.

I don't care how popular they are or what parents might think of them, it is what will eventually be produced that counts.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Ask yourself this question, looking back at all the teams we've had and others in Scotland, just how many players actually come through from the youths and development teams actually make it to the top, I'd say very few.

We were lucky to have the players Mowbray had at the time and this is not always the case but prior to that and since we get the odd one or two who have it in them to make a career out of football at a decent level.

We deemed Wotherspoon and Booth not good enough yet they are plying their trade in the league above us and are regular starters or their teams, unfortunately during their time here we had some horrendous managers and coaches who didn't develop them as they should have, hopefully AS and LD have put this right and brought in coaches that will bring out the best i our younger players.

I would tend agree with that. It is a question that comes up at virtually every club in England and Scotland "why aren't more of our youngsters breaking through?" Its a simple fact that very few youngsters make it through to their first teams and to be fair far more youngsters have always failed to make the grade than make it for a myriad of reasons. Many youngsters from top flight teams end up at a lower league level and the youngsters from those teams often end up out of the game or going part time. I don't think that there is anything particularly wrong with our youth set up infact I would say it is better than most and I would include teams from England in that. There are very few stories in the game like the class of 92 at United.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    We hadn't been producing players for some time - the current set up we have to wait and see, it will take years.

Eddie May's record at Falkirk is great though is it not, they went from zero to about 20 players at all age groups playing international football in the space of a few years.

I don't care how popular they are or what parents might think of them, it is what will eventually be produced that counts.
    Eddie has ruffled a lot of feathers and a lot of parents have not been happy with his approach. Personally I think he's perfect for the role - I only wish he would knock on the head all the u10s and u11s stuff. Concentrate on u13s upwards.

In my opinion players go into pro youth systems far to early! Let boys play and express themselves until the age of 16 then let them go to pro youth clubs. Pro youth from a young age gives them everything far to early and lose that hunger in my opinion.

First Team Regular steviehibsleith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I know what your saying but currently the amount of players we have produced in the squad is frightening:
    paul hanlon
    lewis Stevenson
    jordan forster
    sam stanton
    kevin Thomson
    alex harris
    danny handling
    jason Cummings

the he next couple of players to come through/already started to come through imo will be:
    scott martin
    callum crane
    dunsmore
    lewis allan
    Paul H
    Lewis S All these three have been first team for years poster means lately
    k Thomson

Handling
    Harris
    Stanton Been loaned out / time is up as of yet none have been deemed good enough for AS
    Foster

Cummings 5 years Yam academy Hutchyvale then Hibs first team at 18 Why do people still claim Product of Hibs

How many underage players released in recent years have made it anywhere else? For players to come through now you would normally expect them to have been with the club for 7/8 years so it's obviously been a long term problem that is hopefully being sorted.I remember Pat Felon saying at an AGM that recruitment of 12 year olds was how you grew the youth system and that ours was hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by steviehibsleith View Post
    Paul H
    k Thomson

Handling
    Harris
    Stanton Been loaned out / time is up as of yet none have been deemed good enough for AS
    Foster

Cummings 5 years Yam academy Hutchyvale then Hibs first team at 18 Why do people still claim Product of Hibs
    Because he got released from hearts at 16? How can you say a team that released a boy at 16 who then went and played for hutchy vale, won a contract at hibs, played for our under 20s for a season then got promoted to the first team where he has now been nurtured to the player he is, is responsible for producing him?

People just dont want to give hibs any credit.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by steviehibsleith View Post
    Paul H
    k Thomson

Handling
    Harris
    Foster

Cummings didn't go straight into the first team. He also had to be identified and brought in before he then played for the under 20s or whatever it was then.

He is still a player that came in from our development team.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Because he got released from hearts at 16? How can you say a team that released a boy at 16 who then went and played for hutchy vale, won a contract at hibs, played for our under 20s for a season then got promoted to the first team where he has now been nurtured to the player he is, is responsible for producing him?

People just dont want to give hibs any credit.
    Tosh he never played for the under 20s for a season ill say again he joined Hibs in June 2013 as a 18 yo and made his fisrt team debut in November v Inverness and made a further 15 appearances that season.
    The credit goes to his development with the First team and We will do very well out of it on the field/or if he moves on.

Did Cummings not play for the development team 2? Sure they played in the eastern region league against Spartans and the like then moved to development team 1 and he continued his scoring streak against pro teams?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmy1875 View Post
    Did Cummings not play for the development team 2? Sure they played in the eastern region league against Spartans and the like then moved to development team 1 and he continued his scoring streak against pro teams?
    Yes i agree but IMO joing Hibs at 18 playing 3 months befor moving to the first team isnt really a product of our development academy.