hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Whilst being absolutely brilliant viewing it rammed home many things. One of which is how beautiful our club's strip is in its simplicity. Keep it simple. Green with white sleeves and reversed for away games when required.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    If Amit or Big Frank are reading can I suggest a fund raiser event ?

A sponsored bike ride Led by Mark? Beaumont cycling dude visiting all the birthplaces addresses of the Famous Five.

It could tie in with the fit fans in training.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Apuleius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whilst being absolutely brilliant viewing it rammed home many things. One of which is how beautiful our club's strip is in its simplicity. Keep it simple. Green with white sleeves and reversed for away games when required.
    Yes, a thing of timeless beauty should not be so adulterated as it has been in recent years. I include white socks. A throwback to the early 80's and in my view, not quite right.

Left by mutual consent!
    Just watched it on catch up and what and that was tremendous viewing.

Proud of my club and what it has achieved and the great players who have graced our fine club.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bee View Post
    From what I've read (Prince of Wingers) Gordon Smith travelled to Stuttgart to pick up his new Porsche and stopped off at Le Mans on the way home sadly to witness the most horrific racing crash in history.
    The sportscar was not his Porsche-that came later.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Really excellent programme & very clever the way it was done. I thought Tom Wright came over extremely well, congrats Tom. One v minor gripe, I would have liked them to mention that only goal average, we would have won it on goal difference, prevented us winning the league for a 3rd consecutive season & 4 times in 6 seasons. Well done Alba!
    My dad always used to say that Hibs should have really won 5 titles in that era.

They won the first of their titles in 1947/8, and were 3rd in 1948/9.

Hibs missed winning the title in 1949/50 by one point to Rangers having drawn the last game of the league season 0-0 at Ibrox.

The following season 1950/51 - Hibs last game of the season was a 3-1 win over Celtic. Two days earlier, 40,000+ attended ER to see Hibs beat the previous season's champions Rangers by 4-1. Hibs won the league ten points clear of Rangers in second place. Only two points for a win in those days.

The following season - 1951/2 Hibs retained their title.

It was the following season - 1952-3 that Hibs lost their title to Rangers. Both ended up on 43 points and Rangers won it on goal average, Hibs having the better goal difference. Robbed of a third consecutive league title according to my late dad.

He would have enjoyed the programme very much.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Thoroughly enjoyed that.
    Tears at the end indeed

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    You've achieved more than the vast majority of us could only dream of. Well done! Nearest I got to gracing the famous ER turf was when I bought some of it when the pitch was levelled many moons ago.
    Thanks to all of you who passed such kind comments - makes me realise that I did not appreciate at the time what this was all about !!
    Playing at ER " down the slope" was every Leith laddies dream but the " Famous Five" was a case of " who ? " till a year or two later . We had no idea the heights they would rise to .
    With that in mind am sure you will understand when I say I cannot remember very much , if anything, about the game except getting a big hug from Jimmy Kerr ( he was my uncle's pal who had played for the Hibs in 1920's/30's )
    Always will be grateful to Tam Preston and Erich Schaedler for letting me regularly see behind the scenes in later years !!

Lest we forget the full ( recognised ) 1stXI was
    Kerr
    Govan
    Shaw
    Finnigan
    Aird
    Kean
    Smith
    Johnston
    Reilly
    Turnbull
    Ormond

Last edited by jdships; 26-01-2016 at 08:52 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    At almost 84 that was an hour of pure nostalgia for me .
    Played pro for just over two years but was never " Hibs Class " !
    Fulfilled one ambition which was to play " down the slope " at Easter Road ( once)
    My second ambition was not to be unfortunately as only " The famous Four" were playing ( Bobby J was injured ) the day I made it !

"When will we see their likes again " ?
    For the life of me, I just cannot imagine putting that jersey on and actually going out onto THAT pitch to play for the Hibs and the fact you have done this, in such exalted company, I can only salute you, sir !!.

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    For the life of me, I just cannot imagine putting that jersey on and actually going out onto THAT pitch to play for the Hibs and the fact you have done this, in such exalted company, I can only salute you, sir !!.
    Thank you for kind remarks
    As I said I was " Not Hibs Class"
    Was playing for the opposition ( a club from "Weegie Land " !! ) being a " part timer"
    Repeating myself at that time none of us had an inkling tese five guys would become Legends in their own lifetime
    Hope there will be a DVD of the Alba programme

Just incredible time to play for or support hibs. It would seem injuries stopped hibs completely dominating Scottish football or we would have seen records set which would I doubt be bettered. Seen a photo of the team in 68 with the like of Stanton stein,Cormack,marinello etc and if we had the money to keep that squad together that would have become some team. Great documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    Just incredible time to play for or support hibs. It would seem injuries stopped hibs completely dominating Scottish football or we would have seen records set which would I doubt be bettered. Seen a photo of the team in 68 with the like of Stanton stein,Cormack,marinello etc and if we had the money to keep that squad together that would have become some team. Great documentary.
    Just goes to show when you have 11 fit top players and the back up isn't of the same quality, it's always hard to win everything, an injury or 2 and Hibs of that era were not the same team, did I not hear in the documentary that they had a squad of 17 players.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Just goes to show when you have 11 fit top players and the back up isn't of the same quality, it's always hard to win everything, an injury or 2 and Hibs of that era were not the same team, did I not hear in the documentary that they had a squad of 17 players.
    More like 70 players.They maybe used 17 players.At the time the reserves got huge crowds and scored lots of goals.Jock Buchanan who was unfortunate enough to understudy Reilly and Baker scored 60 goals one season.Taking the team quoted earlier when I first watched Hibs Jock Govan was the only one of the back six still in the first team -among the replacements -Younger,Archie Buchanan and Bobby Combe so no shortage of good players to come in.Players got moved on quickly like Johnston(12 goals in 14 games,Linwood (32 goals in 51 games)and MacDonald (9 goals in 20 games) and had good careers elsewhere.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    More like 70 players.They maybe used 17 players.At the time the reserves got huge crowds and scored lots of goals.Jock Buchanan who was unfortunate enough to understudy Reilly and Baker scored 60 goals one season.Taking the team quoted earlier when I first watched Hibs Jock Govan was the only one of the back six still in the first team -among the replacements -Younger,Archie Buchanan and Bobby Combe so no shortage of good players to come in.Players got moved on quickly like Johnston(12 goals in 14 games,Linwood (32 goals in 51 games)and MacDonald (9 goals in 20 games) and had good careers elsewhere.
    Pretty sure we also had a 3rd team.