hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 89
  1. #31
    First Team Regular over the line's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    North Wales (just)
    Age
    47
    Posts
    779

    Marching up and down the square

    I personally wouldn't want my kids to go in the army. Not after the shameful waste of lives in the potentially ( I say potentially, but I mean definitely) illegal and morally questionable (I say questionable but I mean disgraceful) military interventions of recent times. (My jibes are aimed at the politicians, definitely not at the soldiers, some of whom are my mates).

    But as it has already been said, we do need an army and if school leavers want to join up, then good luck to them. Hopefully the UK has learnt it's lesson and we don't get involved in any wasteful wars in the foreseeable future. The armed forces provide a good start to adult/working life for some, especially if the other options are limited, which is so often the case now a days.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,111
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It seems the Military are looking at the most deprived areas of Scotland for their new recruits.

    https://stv.tv/news/features/1401829-army-draft/

    Scottish Government agency Education Scotland confirmed the MoD had asked for statistics on the deprivation rates in schools in 2015.
    More fool them then. After ten years of SNP rule in Scotland there can be no deprived areas left. Get them telt R.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  4. #33
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that anymore cynical than the SNP looking to lower the age to vote to 16 in 2014?

    Organisations use statistics to improve their performance. They wouldn't be doing their jobs properly if they didn't follow up on proven patterns that might help them achieve their goals.

    Doesn't make it right of course but that kind of judgment is entirely subjective.
    I'd be more concerned if I were a parent in one of the schools which had the Military visiting more times than I've had hot dinners.

  5. #34
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,320
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More fool them then. After ten years of SNP rule in Scotland there can be no deprived areas left. Get them telt R.
    With limited resources of course.

  6. #35
    Old enough to know better. Stupid enough to do it anyway. Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be more concerned if I were a parent in one of the schools which had the Military visiting more times than I've had hot dinners.
    So you would further restrict opportunities of a good career for kids in deprived areas but stopping a large employer offering a potentially solid, long term and rewarding job from recruiting in those schools?

  7. #36
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,111
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be more concerned if I were a parent in one of the schools which had the Military visiting more times than I've had hot dinners.
    Seriously, you only have one hot dinner a year?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  8. #37
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,111
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With limited resources of course.
    That doesnít make them blameless though does it? Far from it.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  9. #38
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You'd be surprised at how many posh kids do sign up.
    I have a family member who went to Sandhurst and then served in bosnia and iraq with engineers- it stood him in good stead for a career in civilan life, and he loved it.

    Personally i can see the attraction to young men. However for many reasons i wouldnt habe joined, not least because im not prepared to put my life in the hands of politicians - any politicians.

    However it would also be churlish to suggest that the military's main bulk is not made up of uneducated young men from poorer backgrounds. I would guess thats just a fact.
    Last edited by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy; 11-11-2017 at 08:50 AM.

  10. #39
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by HiBremian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't Costa Rica manage without an army, Paul? Didn't do them any harm (World Cup v Scotland, Last WC quarter final :-) )


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Youre not seriously suggesting that we dont need an army are you?

  11. #40
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be more concerned if I were a parent in one of the schools which had the Military visiting more times than I've had hot dinners.
    You mean you dislike a uk institution, amd are taking an SNP party line on the issue?

    Well sir, i am shocked.

  12. #41
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,320
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That doesnít make them blameless though does it? Far from it.
    I'm not apportioning blame, I'm questioning the need for the military to go into schools in the first place. They've got offices on the high st for that. Taking guns into school should not happen.

  13. #42
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,320
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You mean you dislike a uk institution, amd are taking an SNP party line on the issue?

    Well sir, i am shocked.
    Is it an snp party line? I'm shocked.

  14. #43
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,111
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not apportioning blame, I'm questioning the need for the military to go into schools in the first place. They've got offices on the high st for that. Taking guns into school should not happen.
    SNP criticism. Does not compute. Does not compute. Does not compute
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  15. #44
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,320
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SNP criticism. Does not compute. Does not compute. Does not compute
    Crack on, you usually do.

  16. #45
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,111
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Crack on, you usually do.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  17. #46
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not apportioning blame, I'm questioning the need for the military to go into schools in the first place. They've got offices on the high st for that. Taking guns into school should not happen.

    Did they definitely have guns when they went to schools?

    is there a need for any profession to go into schools (on a recruitment basis)?

  18. #47
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,320
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did they definitely have guns when they went to schools?

    is there a need for any profession to go into schools (on a recruitment basis)?
    Yes. They were asked to remove them at further visits.

    I've been out of the loop on School visits for a while. I'm sure they still do open recruitment days which ALL employers wishing to be present, will be.

  19. #48
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,111
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did they definitely have guns when they went to schools?

    is there a need for any profession to go into schools (on a recruitment basis)?
    My sonís school has a careers fair every year where many employers are represented. Itís a great chance for the pupils to engage on a one to one basis and to find out more about whatís on offer out there . I canít really see how thatís a bad thing.
    The armed forces were present this year but I didnít see any guns.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  20. #49
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,320
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My son’s school has a careers fair every year where many employers are represented. It’s a great chance for the pupils to engage on a one to one basis and to find out more about what’s on offer out there . I can’t really see how that’s a bad thing.
    The armed forces were present this year but I didn’t see any guns.
    They'd have sent the officers to your sons school. No riff raff allowed.

  21. #50
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,010
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With limited resources of course.
    Are not all resources limited?

    As for the army going into schools, I'm really struggling to find the story here to be honest.

  22. #51
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,361
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    As for the army going into schools, I'm really struggling to find the story here to be honest.
    Aye, the armed forces attend a lot of schools, even the public ones.
    I thought there'd be more pitch forks and torch burning for the likes of RBS attending schools and bussing off the innocent children to their Gogarburn internment camp and showing them their wicked ways ;)
    Last edited by speedy_gonzales; 11-11-2017 at 02:49 PM.

  23. #52
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,111
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They'd have sent the officers to your sons school. No riff raff allowed.
    They let me in.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  24. #53
    @hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,260
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are not all resources limited?

    As for the army going into schools, I'm really struggling to find the story here to be honest.
    Likewise, what is the point being made - Army go to deprived areas to talk to young people who may have limited career prospects, offer them an alternative to unemployment or worse. What is the problem?

    Is it because it is the British Army and seen as Unionist, is the need for points to be scored now taking digs at the armed forces?

  25. #54
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,320
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are not all resources limited?

    As for the army going into schools, I'm really struggling to find the story here to be honest.
    With guns.

  26. #55
    @hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,260
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With guns.
    Why did you not post "Army go into schools with guns" if that was the real point of your post, but you never did you? You made reference to the army going to deprived areas and never mentioned guns at all.

  27. #56
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My son’s school has a careers fair every year where many employers are represented. It’s a great chance for the pupils to engage on a one to one basis and to find out more about what’s on offer out there . I can’t really see how that’s a bad thing.
    The armed forces were present this year but I didn’t see any guns.

    It was a vaguely double edged question, in that, if you’re against the armed forces visiting schools for recruitment purposes, surely you’d be against any professions recruiting in schools, or if you’re for other professions recruiting, what’s the issue in the armed forces doing the same?

    r7 said the armed forces have offices in the high st for that purpose, equally isn’t there job centres, recruitment websites and the like for other professions to recruit.

    I agree, I think it isn’t a bad thing to hear directly from the horses mouth what a career in the armed forces can be like. If the student’s parents are against them joining, they will look to show the negative aspects of that, thus allowing the student/adolescent to make an informed choice.
    Theres also the point made above, that giving a person from a deprived area another option for a successful and prosperous career (I know and am friendly with several former forces people who are very successful and happy in their lives), where otherwise they may end up being a burden on the state.

  28. #57
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,320
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why did you not post "Army go into schools with guns" if that was the real point of your post, but you never did you? You made reference to the army going to deprived areas and never mentioned guns at all.
    It's in the link, I provided. I'm sure you read it, didn't you?

    This from a post earlier in the thread.

    Taking guns into school should not happen.
    Last edited by ronaldo7; 11-11-2017 at 03:27 PM.

  29. #58
    @hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,260
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's in the link, I provided. I'm sure you read it, didn't you?
    I did, but why not make your point in the post if that was your point? You made reference to the British Army going into deprived areas, no mention of guns?

  30. #59
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,320
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I did, but why not make your point in the post if that was your point? You made reference to the British Army going into deprived areas, no mention of guns?
    I'm on my phone so can't see the post number, but if you read my posts you'll see it mentioned.

  31. #60
    @hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,260
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm on my phone so can't see the post number, but if you read my posts you'll see it mentioned.
    The first post on this thread in 18 months was by yourself yesterday, post number 29. No reference to guns in schools in your post at all, only pointing out that the Army is going to deprived areas and the Scottish Government agency Education Scotland confirming the MoD had asked for some statistics.

    So when you posted that your main point was about guns in schools? That was the story?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved