hibs.net Messageboard

Promoting Fine Dining @ Quinn's London Hibs Supporters Club's Avatar

Quinn's (Piano Bar) for The Rangers - Monday 28th - 15:00 KO

All food journalists get asked the same question: "What's the best restaurant in town?" The answer is the one where they know you without having to surreptitiously check the screen; they bring you a drink without having to be told; it's where the manager/owner asks after your children by name; it's where there's one thing on the menu that you really like, the way you really like it, and you wouldn't mind eating it once a week for the rest of your life.

Contrarily, I'm rarely asked what was the best thing I've ever eaten. Maybe it's just too personal subjective a thing, determined by the circumstance of consumption. Maybe yours would be your wedding cake, or the fried breakfast after having been released from prison. But for me, the best? That would be by Pierre at Quinn's in his newly opened brasserie, 20 years ago. It was his moment. He was a chef on fire. Steaming, smoking, grilling, baking, flambéing, constructing astonishing intense but rigorously elegant plates that were based on haute French techniques, but with an obsessive, Gaelic emotion, with an angry French nostalgia that was all his own. Giles Coren of The Sunday Times, who has a mouth as sensitive as a sturgeon's cloaca, said the steak at Pierre's was the best he'd ever eaten. And where he extols with beluga prose, we should heed.

With The Rangers match scheduled to KO at the traditional 3pm (have we ever watched a league match at Quinn's that's been a 3pm KO?) Pierre and his team will serve our solids after the match at approximately 17:30. I'm pleased to inform you that we will be provided with two courses from the Christmas menu (please note that there is no seafood being served until Tuesday 5th January).

For starter is Whipped Cod Roe with Fennel Butter served with Salt Cod Croquettes with Aioli. Our main course is Ox Cheek simply served with Champ and Spinach.

This weeks house wine is Yealands Estate PGR Pinot Gewurtztraminer Riesling 2014 - An energising blend of lemon grass and lime blossom. Priced at £18.50 per bottle and supplied from the fine folks at Great Western Wine.

Hope top see a few old and new faces on Monday

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    I'm in London on Monday (Putney). Would I have time to watch the game with you guys and make it back to Kings Cross for my 6 o'clock ish train?

Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm in London on Monday (Putney). Would I have time to watch the game with you guys and make it back to Kings Cross for my 6 o'clock ish train?
    Probably yeah! Camden and KC are both on the northern line.
    21.05.2016. I Was There.

.net PM board "Biggest Slaver of the year 2014"

Less talk, more gifs. :

Promoting Fine Dining @ Quinn's London Hibs Supporters Club's Avatar
    If you want to take the scenic route, then jump on the river bus at Putney and embark at Embankment where you can catch the Northern Line to Camden Town.

Edit: Scratch that idea as there's no service from Putney on the 28th!

You'll have no problems getting to KX after the match. You can either catch a bus, or it's only two stops on the underground.

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    Cheers guys! Hopefully catch you there!

Cheers guys! Hopefully catch you there!
    I think I am working (every bloody time!) if not then I will!
    21.05.2016. I Was There.

.net PM board "Biggest Slaver of the year 2014"

Less talk, more gifs. :