hibs.net Messageboard

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax

Hibs.net Fantasy Football 2016 : League Two

Hard to believe that Fantasy Football is almost over for another year. As many of you know there is already a Hibs.net fantasy league that has been operating for a few years now. There was some interest shown earlier this year and we might have enough to have more than one league, and that is what I am here to propose. There are a lot of different types of leagues and the settings make a difference. For that reason I'm proposing something a little different than what we have already. If nothing else it gives people an opportunity to experience the game a little differently. I'm not going to go through all the details now but I want to give an idea of what I am thinking about to see if there is any interest.

I am not proposing this as a replacement for the existing league but to complement it (there's no reason why people can't play in both - I play in multiple leagues).

Here are some settings that I would like to consider. When it comes time to set it up we can debate the settings.
    Players: 10-12.
    Site: ESPN.com
    Roster Spots: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R/T, D/ST, K, 6 bench spots, 1 IR slot. A 2 QB league might be interesting too. I liked the idea of a keeper / dynasty league but I think you need the same group to be playing over the year to make that work. Maybe not, anyone got any experience with that?
    Scoring: 1/2 PPR or PPR. Most other settings will be standard but we can discuss. Some sites offer pretty detailed settings like bonuses for long receptions, etc. and the scoring is customizable.
    Waiver: FAAB. Read about it here. Basically each manager starts out with a certain budget and then you bid for players rather than first pick always going to the #1 waiver guy. Spend wisely. This would also be processed daily, no waiting 1 or 2 days for the waiver pickup to clear. $0 FAAB bids would be allowed.
    Draft: LIVE! We would work out scheduling but since I am "over here" I would make myself available. A live draft with 30 seconds per pick, assuming everyone is prepared and present, can be completed in less than one hour. 30 seconds isn't a lot of time but the key is to be prepared. Have your sheets printed out already. Have your picks already highlighted. And their backups. And your sleepers. Every site I've drafted on has a list of players available and you can display players who have been drafted too.

So that's the proposal. There's nothing for anyone to do other than perhaps register your interest. You need an ESPN.com account to play but that's the same everywhere I think. If anyone is interested in another league and you have ideas, let's talk about them here.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I am in

Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hard to believe that Fantasy Football is almost over for another year. As many of you know there is already a Hibs.net fantasy league that has been operating for a few years now. There was some interest shown earlier this year and we might have enough to have more than one league, and that is what I am here to propose. There are a lot of different types of leagues and the settings make a difference. For that reason I'm proposing something a little different than what we have already. If nothing else it gives people an opportunity to experience the game a little differently. I'm not going to go through all the details now but I want to give an idea of what I am thinking about to see if there is any interest.

I am not proposing this as a replacement for the existing league but to complement it (there's no reason why people can't play in both - I play in multiple leagues).

Here are some settings that I would like to consider. When it comes time to set it up we can debate the settings.
    Players: 10-12.
    Site: ESPN.com
    Roster Spots: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R/T, D/ST, K, 6 bench spots, 1 IR slot. A 2 QB league might be interesting too. I liked the idea of a keeper / dynasty league but I think you need the same group to be playing over the year to make that work. Maybe not, anyone got any experience with that?
    Scoring: 1/2 PPR or PPR. Most other settings will be standard but we can discuss. Some sites offer pretty detailed settings like bonuses for long receptions, etc. and the scoring is customizable.
    Waiver: FAAB. Read about it here. Basically each manager starts out with a certain budget and then you bid for players rather than first pick always going to the #1 waiver guy. Spend wisely. This would also be processed daily, no waiting 1 or 2 days for the waiver pickup to clear. $0 FAAB bids would be allowed.
    Draft: LIVE! We would work out scheduling but since I am "over here" I would make myself available. A live draft with 30 seconds per pick, assuming everyone is prepared and present, can be completed in less than one hour. 30 seconds isn't a lot of time but the key is to be prepared. Have your sheets printed out already. Have your picks already highlighted. And their backups. And your sleepers. Every site I've drafted on has a list of players available and you can display players who have been drafted too.

So that's the proposal. There's nothing for anyone to do other than perhaps register your interest. You need an ESPN.com account to play but that's the same everywhere I think. If anyone is interested in another league and you have ideas, let's talk about them here.
    I'm in!

I'm in. I think keeper or dynasty would be good as it wouldn't detract from our other league! Otherwise we'd just be creating a paler imitation of what I think is a great league and great set up.

First Team Breakthrough SmithyHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: SmithyNYG
    I'm in, be good to play with a different scoring format and positions etc!

Quote Originally Posted by AyrshireHibs View Post
    I'm in. I think keeper or dynasty would be good as it wouldn't detract from our other league! Otherwise we'd just be creating a paler imitation of what I think is a great league and great set up.
    Agree with this. If so, I'm in.

I'd certainly be interested

Gamer IDs

I'm open to keeper / dynasty and will look into it more.

I don't agree that this would be a paler imitation though, not sure why anyone would say that? The plan isn't to copy the existing Hibs.net league, it's to provide a different offering because, strange as it may seem, the different league settings change the game. It's also to provide an overflow for other people who were unable to join the Hibs.net league this year.

Wasn't knocking it, just thinking out loud. You'll know I tried to get another league going earlier this year with little success so I'm up for this! The current league has a particular challenge because the number of participants are so big. I was just thinking if it's a standard redraft league (even if 2QB or PPR) it wouldn't quite have the same satisfaction to it as it's merely a slightly easier version of what we have. But listen, I'm up for whatever - I only compete in our one league but enjoy playing with you guys so bring it on

Im in. Used to have two leagues but one folded this year so Im only in the original Hibs.net one.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by AyrshireHibs View Post
    Wasn't knocking it, just thinking out loud. You'll know I tried to get another league going earlier this year with little success so I'm up for this! The current league has a particular challenge because the number of participants are so big. I was just thinking if it's a standard redraft league (even if 2QB or PPR) it wouldn't quite have the same satisfaction to it as it's merely a slightly easier version of what we have. But listen, I'm up for whatever - I only compete in our one league but enjoy playing with you guys so bring it on
    There is no doubt that a 16 team league is very challenging. I play in only one - this one. Four other leagues have 12 players. One league has 10 players but with larger rosters so that makes it a little more challenging. My experience has shown me that with a 12 team league it's still challenging but the waiver wire isn't as dry a ours is. That's the sweet spot, for me.

We have plenty of time to get this sorted out but I figured I would get the ball rolling sooner rather than later so that people can get an ESPN id, take a look at the site, get familiar with it, etc. I'm looking forward to seeing what a live draft is like with Hibs.net. :) Sure, I'll be up real late or real early, depending on which way you look at it, but I'm on call so any time is fine.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I only just find the time to manage one team so I'm probably a "no" for this expansion/other league.

We definitely keeping the other league? If so, I'm gonna just stick with that and give this one a miss.

Yeah, keeping the other!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    We definitely keeping the other league? If so, I'm gonna just stick with that and give this one a miss.
    Yes, this league is to allow more players to get in the game and also to allow existing players an opportunity to try something a little different.

@hibs.net private member Willis1875's Avatar
    I'm in